W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary Cat delete + resonator delete aftermarket parts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63 AMG S
Secondary Cat delete + resonator delete aftermarket parts?

I have a 2016 E63 AMG S (5.5L Bi-turbo).

I've been reading through the forums and checking online stores, but I can't seem to find any aftermarket parts to only replace the secondary cats (with a straight pipe) and something to replace the resonator with either (straight, H-pipe, or x-pipe).
The problem is that I don't see any individual parts to order to accomplish this while keeping everything else stock. I've seen downpipes, full exhausts, catbacks, and midpipes.

https://www.mbhmotorsports.com/produ...RoCivUQAvD_BwE
This states "This mid-section with Xpipe only works with MBH Motorsports headers . If you do not have MBH Motorsports long tube headers this IS NOT the product for you."

Local exhaust shop won't cut / replace the secondary cats with straight piping. Would love a bolt-on type solution here. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 09-29-2023, 08:52 PM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
You are correct in your findings as these cars don't have a bunch of separate, stock exhaust components you can swap out. You basically just have the downpipes that house all the cats (so getting a cat-less downpipe would solve that), and the downpipes connect directly to the resonator which is welded to the pipe sections that go all the way back to the mufflers, it's one piece. So you either do downpipes and/or full exhaust system, or you have to do custom welding work (i.e. find another exhaust shop willing to do the work). That MBH link must just be for the N/A E63, you can't run long tube headers on a 5.5 turbo.
The following users liked this post:
cotmfk (10-02-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 10:06 PM

E63 AMG S
Thanks for clarifying. It did appear to be all welded together already and one shop told me they won't cut the secondary cats even though we don't have emissions testing. Long time ago I had a shop cut them before on another vehicle no problem, so it's just a matter of finding a shady one I guess.

I'd even be willing to get a full exhaust that started AFTER the first catalytic converters (in the downpipes) but it doesn't seem to be an option. I wouldn't mind going with downpipes but I have a Maxcare warranty for 5 years, so i don't want to add ECU tune, downpipes, or anything else that's changes that much. I just want to open it up a bit more. Sounds nice WOT and downshifts sounds really amazing, but there's not much in between that.

Are there catbacks that I can get that still retain the AMG sound but are louder? I really do like the exhaust valve but wish I could disable it completely when I want to.
Old 09-30-2023, 04:12 PM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Unless someone else chimes in here, I don't think there are many of use who have any other exhaust setups other than downpipes or a muffler/resonator delete, the full systems are so expensive for just a sound upgrade since they don't offer any performance gains. Most of the catbacks I see on a quick google search on the w212 are for the M156 V8 E63s and not our M157s.

I'd say if you're concerned with the warranty, just don't do anything. I used to work at a shop and we'd see warranties deny claims for the slightest modification, even if it had nothing to do with a failure. If they see anything cut under there, it really is no different than if you had downpipes on for a lot of them. And if you don't cut anything, you can always swap it back to stock if you had some warranty concern crop up and had time to make the switch back just to avoid the possibility of problems.

Check out kenny's video on Youtube for the muffler mod?

I would also say, most modifications like removing resonator or swapping (or deleting) mufflers will change the sound character. Downpipes will too as far as tone and loudness, but will be the closest to the stock character. Downpipes w/ aftermarket cats maybe? Although you have to be careful on brands/quality.
cotmfk (10-02-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 222 Posts
E63S
@Tooken
W212's with the M157 (MY2012-16) only come with ONE set of Cats. No secondary cats.
Most simply do a resonator delete to slightly increase exhaust volume. As mentioned above, look at linked video and you will find out of unrestricted the stock exhaust already is. The only "restriction" in the exhaust path are the Catalytics.
Some companies make "true" turbo back downpipes/exhaust systems that replace the Bridge pipes. I guess the stock ones could be called restrictive when compared to some aftermarket ones.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rehabguy:
BCP (10-02-2023), cotmfk (10-02-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 09:36 PM

E63 AMG S
That's good to know. I have a picture of an exhaust system which shows secondary cats but it must be another model. I'd love to keep the same sound, just a bit louder. My concern with the full exhaust is that it would be too loud.

I think I'll start with the resonator delete and going with an x-pipe. Would another (h-pipe or straight pipe) keep the same AMG noise but make it louder? I don't want to change the sound itself, just the loudness. WOT sounds pretty good but I can barely hear the thing just cruising around which I know is partly related to the exhaust valves opening at certain RPMs.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:40 PM

E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by GinDistiller
Unless someone else chimes in here, I don't think there are many of use who have any other exhaust setups other than downpipes or a muffler/resonator delete, the full systems are so expensive for just a sound upgrade since they don't offer any performance gains. Most of the catbacks I see on a quick google search on the w212 are for the M156 V8 E63s and not our M157s.

I'd say if you're concerned with the warranty, just don't do anything. I used to work at a shop and we'd see warranties deny claims for the slightest modification, even if it had nothing to do with a failure. If they see anything cut under there, it really is no different than if you had downpipes on for a lot of them. And if you don't cut anything, you can always swap it back to stock if you had some warranty concern crop up and had time to make the switch back just to avoid the possibility of problems.

Check out kenny's video on Youtube for the muffler mod? https://youtu.be/rS5yrcBNuVY?si=i9EC145UAOIOn_nm

I would also say, most modifications like removing resonator or swapping (or deleting) mufflers will change the sound character. Downpipes will too as far as tone and loudness, but will be the closest to the stock character. Downpipes w/ aftermarket cats maybe? Although you have to be careful on brands/quality.
That's why I was trying to look for a bolt-on solution for worst case scenario. I'm not getting into the tuning just yet but would love for it to be louder. Are there any mufflers that keep the AMG sound but remove the exhaust valves that open and close based on RPMs that you know of? Sounds amazing on startup but cruising around, besides downshifts, is too quiet.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:45 PM

E63 AMG S
Honestly wouldn't mind a full exhaust if I could silence it, which seems like Fi and Valvetronic you can. I'd love to just have high flow cats that didn't throw CEL custom exhaust but don't want it to be so loud that it damages eardrums haha.

Last edited by Tooken; 09-30-2023 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:56 AM
BCP

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
2014 E63s
This platform doesn't have secondary cats as mentioned, nor does it have valved mufflers.- you have two cats in the down pipes (sometimes referred to as mid-pipes since they dont connect directly to the turbos), then you hav a resonator, and then two mufflers. Removing the resonator and replacing with straight, H, or X pipe will give a slight improvement to exhaust sound, and should be an easy job for an exhaust shop. You can add high flow cats by buying downpipes so equipped - it will not be ear drum shatteringly loud.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:29 PM

E63 AMG S
I mixed it up with some other forum posts then for a different platform. I'll start with the resonator then and go from there. Thanks for the info!
BCP (10-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2024, 11:46 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
'14 E63 S AMG
@Tooken Did you ever do this? I have a shop that is willing to straight-pipe-replace the resonator, but im not sure it's worth it... if you deleted the resonator, I'd love to know if/how that improved things
Old 07-03-2024, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,155 Likes on 605 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by QuadTurboPrius
@Tooken Did you ever do this? I have a shop that is willing to straight-pipe-replace the resonator, but im not sure it's worth it... if you deleted the resonator, I'd love to know if/how that improved things
It improves drone

The real sound changes come from de-cat or high-flow cats. The rest of the exhaust is pretty open and doesn't do much except for the great tuning in the resonators done by the factory to prevent drone.
QuadTurboPrius (07-03-2024)