W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump solenoids

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.33 average.

Old 03-18-2024, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,195 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by Rickman30
...Oil pressure will vary due to outside temp and conditions, cold climates will have higher oil pressure than cars at the equator. the oil pressure has a pressure release valve/spring, if it gets beyond what MB determines as "Too high oil pressure" built right into the oil pump...
That upper pressure release valve is set to 4 bar. @S-Prihadi early measurements show that max oil pressure, with or without the solenoid connected, is ~60 psi (or 4 bar). My own tests with a mechanical external oil pressure gauge (as instructed in the WIS) only reached 50 psi at 4000 rpm. The pressure increase appeared to be linear with the engine speed. I think there is a "soft" rev limiter when in Park and I could only get to 4000 rpm. I have not tried measuring the pressure while driving. But, the point is disconnecting the solenoid does NOT cause excessive oil pressure.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
100% correct. I do, however, differ in the longevity. I cannot find the document that indicated the manufacture of the VVT was adamant about the reduced oil pressure possibly causing premature failure in the locking pin. I think the extra few pounds would help reduce that wear. That is what I was referring to in "Making my engine live longer" I have no doubt my bearings, cylinders, chains, and cams, are in excellent condition, otherwise the testing done on my oil would indicate excessive wear material in it.

I've seen engine prematurely fail that was 100% dealer maintained. So anything we do, is a plus.

You do you, I'll do me, 100% agreed, I just like to add to the discussion. Which sometimes appears to be a cardinal sin around here.
I think we are in agreement. My lengthly first comment today was about the posting that @kenneyd shared that the bestest mechanic shop is all of the western hemisphere said not to disconnect.

(By the way, I read your posts.)
The following 2 users liked this post by JettaRed:
Rickman30 (03-18-2024), TomZVB (03-19-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 04:57 PM

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
2014 E63s AMG
Originally Posted by zk2004mb
Can someone explain to me how is it possible that increased oil pressure will bring more fuel mixed into engine oil? At which stage of the combustion?
The theory is that the ECU energizes the solenoid upon cold start to limit pressure and shut off the oil squirters. This allows the piston to heat up much faster which helps with fuel atomization and better for efficiency. The German guys are saying that disabling this valve will keep the piston significantly colder during cold start and this will cause the atomized fuel coming out of the DI injector to condense on the cold piston and leak down the cylinder walls and into the oil. I personally don't see this being an issue unless someone wants to run 15,000 mile oil changes. DI engines have a tendency to dilute oil regardless so as long as your OCI are reasonable this shouldn't be and issue. There was a guy in the fb comment thread that said he will be running a blackstone oil analysis to see how much fuel dilution there is.

It's mentioned in the MB info page for the solenoid. Squirters are off for piston heating. then they are turned on to splash oil on hot pistons to heat up oil faster.

Last edited by ImolaSix; 03-18-2024 at 05:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ImolaSix:
billvp218 (03-18-2024), PeterUbers (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,241 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
literally... chosen few

Originally Posted by JettaRed
I think we are in agreement. My lengthly first comment today was about the posting that @kenneyd shared that the bestest mechanic shop is all of the western hemisphere said not to disconnect.

A random schmuck goes to a top shop in Germany to report a clerk said: DON'T DO IT !

Tassos and even myself said the same thing.

We live in the Nike country... "Just do it!"

I agree, cancelling chaos is not for everyone.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 03-18-2024 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:06 PM

Received 240 Likes on 143 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
That upper pressure release valve is set to 4 bar. @S-Prihadi early measurements show that max oil pressure, with or without the solenoid connected, is ~60 psi (or 4 bar). My own tests with a mechanical external oil pressure gauge (as instructed in the WIS) only reached 50 psi at 4000 rpm. The pressure increase appeared to be linear with the engine speed. I think there is a "soft" rev limiter when in Park and I could only get to 4000 rpm. I have not tried measuring the pressure while driving. But, the point is disconnecting the solenoid does NOT cause excessive oil pressure.
I have much respect for several on here like yourself and @S-Prihadi . He does a lot of great ground work, and many of his conclusions are proper. Sometimes we can over think this stuff when most of the time it's simple and physics can't be re-invented or changed.

The oil pressure measured depends on the quality and calibration of the gauge. Not knocking yours, but in my experience I've seen Snapon gauges vary as much as 10 psi brand new. That, coupled with different oil viscosity, the more miles oil has the lower the viscosity, plus ambient temps, it all plays a part in having a difference in oil pressures.

All oil pumps are linear, because they are mechanically driven by the engine. The pressure relief will also vary, albeit not by but a couple psi. mileage, region, and oil change intervals, spring tension of the pressure relief valve, they play a roll in observed pressures. It's why there is a test for the pressure spring to ensure it remains in the optimal range so pressure is not compromised. I wouldn't worry too much unless your gauge is showing below Xentry oil pressure test parameters, even then I'd acquire a precision gauge and retest. I'm reading in Xentry max pressure should be between 50 and 70 psi.

Also, I think you hit the nail on the head, many somehow think unplugging creates more oil pressure, it's not physically possible. The pump is what creates the pressure, the solenoid is on a port from the main pump gear, it diverts some of that pressure to the oil pan, when it closes pump pressure is resumed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rickman30:
kevm14 (04-07-2024), TomZVB (03-19-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 05:07 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350

That was what fired me up too.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,564 Likes on 981 Posts
2008 E350 (W211 @170K), 2012 ML350 (W166 @119K), 2014 E350 Sport (W212 @96K), 2015 ML350 (W166 @92K)
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver

A random schmuck goes to a top shop in Germany to report a clerk said: DON'T DO IT !

I was reading Mathias' response carefully waiting for his supporting material until I read "Don't suffer wannabe experts". Done!!!.

I have met quite a few of those in my career. Perhaps I used to be one in my youth, thinking I knew it all, but having the opportunity to study, work or interact with highly qualified individuals, I learned to listen and always support my views with my own data, or well-researched literature. Of course, you also learn to live with your own decisions.

The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 05:10 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver

The head tech at my dealer said the same thing, but was speechless when I gave him a copy of the Xentry instruction for that code saying don't fix if nonessential part circuit opened.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rickman30:
CaliBenzDriver (03-18-2024), juanmor40 (03-18-2024), timm206 (03-19-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,241 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
MANUAL CTRL

Originally Posted by ImolaSix
The theory is that the ECU energizes the solenoid upon cold start to limit pressure and shut off the oil squirters. This allows the piston to heat up much faster which helps with fuel atomization and better for efficiency. The German guys are saying that disabling this valve will keep the piston significantly colder during cold start and this will cause the atomized fuel coming out of the DI injector to condense on the cold piston and leak down the cylinder walls and into the oil. I personally don't see this being an issue unless someone wants to run 15,000 mile oil changes. DI engines have a tendency to dilute oil regardless so as long as your OCI are reasonable this shouldn't be and issue. There was a guy in the fb comment thread that said he will be running a blackstone oil analysis to see how much fuel dilution there is.

It's mentioned in the MB info page for the solenoid. Squirters are off for piston heating. then they are turned on to splash oil on hot pistons to heat up oil faster.

Now that we know where these valves are, individuals can accomodate need for personal testing.

Wire an inline switch to enable/disable solenoid on-demand.

This could be interesting to see how confused the ECU/TCU adaptations can get.

I think even the stock system strugles with that mixup when solenoid gets activated for cooling.

The positive transformation we get is not from giving VVT more oil.
It is from ECU learning the stable timings of the improved engine:
  1. sealed piston rings
  2. balanced cylinder work
  3. tight tensioners
  4. cleaner lambda
  5. lubed HPFP roller
  6. strong VVT B1i.
I don't think these ECU are ready to go back and forth, quite the opposite. The ECU snappiness is hinged upon regularity.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 03-18-2024 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:14 PM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
Originally Posted by ImolaSix

There are several people in this thread that have run Blackstone oil analysis already.
That's the document I've been referring to numerous times in this post. Describes the scenario of cold start where it will start for a short period of time on low pressure in order to let the Pistons build some heat, and then, while still cold, it engages high pressure in order to warm the oil faster.
The reasoning in the document says nothing about fuel atomization or condensation, it says the reason is it will warm the oil up to temperature faster. 100° piston versus a 200° piston is not going to affect the fuel in any way shape or form.

This document description alone puts the bed many of the concerns people have had, such as will running high pressure in cold climates. Well, according to this document, the intended design runs high pressure shortly after a cold start.

​​​​​​
​​​The biggest change I've noticed is the oil does heat up much faster with solenoid unplugged. So, pistons Do have a significant effect on the oil.(Also meaning, the oil has a significant cooling effect on the Pistons, which is one of the biggest reasons we're doing this mod)
I'd have to go back and look at testing videos people have made, but my assumption is the Mercedes piston heating programming described here is really only for very cold oil to get it up to something say around 50 Fahrenheit... And it reverts back to closed after that
Because with the solenoid unplugged, my oil gets up to 175 in like 10 minutes or less while with it plugged in, it would basically stop at 125 and plateau unless I drove more aggressively.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:00 PM

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
2014 E63s AMG
Originally Posted by kenneyd
There are several people in this thread that have run Blackstone oil analysis already.
That's the document I've been referring to numerous times in this post. Describes the scenario of cold start where it will start for a short period of time on low pressure in order to let the Pistons build some heat, and then, while still cold, it engages high pressure in order to warm the oil faster.
The reasoning in the document says nothing about fuel atomization or condensation, it says the reason is it will warm the oil up to temperature faster. 100° piston versus a 200° piston is not going to affect the fuel in any way shape or form.

This document description alone puts the bed many of the concerns people have had, such as will running high pressure in cold climates. Well, according to this document, the intended design runs high pressure shortly after a cold start.

​​​​​​
​​​The biggest change I've noticed is the oil does heat up much faster with solenoid unplugged. So, pistons Do have a significant effect on the oil.(Also meaning, the oil has a significant cooling effect on the Pistons, which is one of the biggest reasons we're doing this mod)
I'd have to go back and look at testing videos people have made, but my assumption is the Mercedes piston heating programming described here is really only for very cold oil to get it up to something say around 50 Fahrenheit... And it reverts back to closed after that
Because with the solenoid unplugged, my oil gets up to 175 in like 10 minutes or less while with it plugged in, it would basically stop at 125 and plateau unless I drove more aggressively.

I agree with you. The part about the condensation was me interpreting what that German shop guy said in that fb message.

Anyways, I think people get too hung up on that shop being from Germany as if their word means anything more because MB are made there. If that fb post was from some random small American tuning shop no one would bat an eye.

Last edited by ImolaSix; 03-18-2024 at 06:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ImolaSix:
kevm14 (04-07-2024), OldManAndHisCar (03-19-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 10:12 PM

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts
m157 SL63
with the solenoid unplugged, my oil gets up to 175 in like 10 minutes or less while with it plugged in, it would basically stop at 125 and plateau unless I drove more aggressively.
that seems strange ... my car's oil temp gets up to 80*C (176*F) in about 10 minutes of normal easy driving in the winter at temps near freezing

I never drive it hard before it gets to the proper temp, so I watch the value
Old 03-19-2024, 06:48 AM

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts
R231 SL 63
Apparently zee "Germans" disagree:

"Hello Guys, my name is Kim and I came from Germany. I hope that my English is understood.
It's about this topic (first picture), which I'm sure some people have looked and read this.
There was recently an topic with the oil control valve on the M157 and M278.
I wrote to the guys from Shift2Passion (who are currently the best Mercedes workshop in Germany) about unplugging the oil valve. Because the topic gave me a lot of headaches.
I explained the topic briefly and received a response from Matthias very quickly. Attach the answer and the translation.
Can say up front, DO NOT UNPLUG the valve!!!
Please read the answer (I translate it from German to English). I would like to share this experience with you, so that no one suffers engine damage.
Even Tasos wouldn't stake it, he said this in one of his last videos. A member shared the link to it under the first Post. Thanks to him for that.
Matthias answer was (translated):
The video is not entirely accurate. It is switched as follows
-10 to 20 degrees oil temperature
Maximum 10 minutes
Limiting it to 2.5 bar prevents the oil syringes from opening and the piston heads are cooled.
If you disconnect the valve, you will get a massive amount of fuel into the engine oil because it is cold
Piston crown condenses immediately.
Greetings Matthias
PS: unplugging kills the engine. I can do all of these
Don't suffer wannabe experts.
I hope with these answer, it help many People for the decision Plugged or Unplugged?"

Comment removed - late to the party.

Last edited by TomZVB; 03-19-2024 at 07:10 AM.
juanmor40 (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 10:14 AM

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
@rickman that posted pdf has no info about the piston oil squirters or the pressure they need to operate it is a disclaimer about the code for the solenoid failure or in this case what pops up if you disconnect it...Is there a solenoid to open the oil squirters only? That is what I am getting from your post?

Highly doubtful MB would do that. Oil squirters are there to cool the pistons down on an already hot turbo'd engine.

OTH if you meant that the oil squirters provide full oiling at the 40 psi listed maybe sure but i still dont beleive in 0w-20 oil lubricates better or that the thin layer of thin oil protects better than say 5w-40 .its only there to help reduce operating friction and help with mpg mandates..so you would def want to do the oil solenoid disable to get full pressure at all times and use 5w-40 for sure

Agreed that the manufacturers seem to design these to fail from so many parts and mechanisms...they want you to buy another one in 3 years as the warranty expires and junk the present one. Dont event get me started on pushing incomplete "tech " out the door that doesnt even work and requires multiple updates or fixes that take months or even a year to get.

Not just about MB...All manu do it ...Toyota has the same issues...AND they use the same type of oil solenoid. I just gotta figure out if I can disable that one in my 2022 Highlander Platinum AWD V6 now

Last edited by WRC-LVR; 03-19-2024 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,393 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
On the subject of OIL TEMPERATURE, you guys with M157.9xx are blessed....... to have a REAL oil temperature sensor and not a calculated one like M278 or M276.
I kept reading oil temperature values mentioned and I looked at the ECM wiring diagram and wow !!! No bul-shiet !!!

B40 is an oil level sensor and oil temperature sensor. I do not know the OIL QUALITY capability of it.
LIN based data communication, sharing LIN line with alternator LIN.

Only M157 and M152 get this beautiful multi-sensor. I am drooling..... I don't mind if this can be factory option on my engine for US$500 or US$750 if oil pressure sensor included too and both data to be displayed at IC.
Hence I can get dual data with the Banks Gauge system as back-up or cross verification.

Not cheap too..........

Hhhmmmm... look so pretty...

The following 2 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
Rickman30 (03-19-2024), zk2004mb (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 03:57 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
@rickman that posted pdf has no info about the piston oil squirters or the pressure they need to operate it is a disclaimer about the code for the solenoid failure or in this case what pops up if you disconnect it...Is there a solenoid to open the oil squirters only? That is what I am getting from your post?

Highly doubtful MB would do that. Oil squirters are there to cool the pistons down on an already hot turbo'd engine.

OTH if you meant that the oil squirters provide full oiling at the 40 psi listed maybe sure but i still dont beleive in 0w-20 oil lubricates better or that the thin layer of thin oil protects better than say 5w-40 .its only there to help reduce operating friction and help with mpg mandates..so you would def want to do the oil solenoid disable to get full pressure at all times and use 5w-40 for sure

Agreed that the manufacturers seem to design these to fail from so many parts and mechanisms...they want you to buy another one in 3 years as the warranty expires and junk the present one. Dont event get me started on pushing incomplete "tech " out the door that doesnt even work and requires multiple updates or fixes that take months or even a year to get.

Not just about MB...All manu do it ...Toyota has the same issues...AND they use the same type of oil solenoid. I just gotta figure out if I can disable that one in my 2022 Highlander Platinum AWD V6 now
Piston cooling was originally designed to mitigate detonation, or pre-ignition from leaning the mixture to gain more HP and torque it the peak of the power band on race car engines. Manufactures now use it on NA and turbo engines for the same reason. They later started added oil pressure controls to reduce cold start enrichment times. On engines with variable and two stage oil pump systems the oil system is used to control those temps as a cold engine requires more fuel when cold then leaner when closed loop is achieved. At which point PCM takes over and uses sensors throughout engine to achieve stoichiometric efficiency in each cylinder, ambient air temp, air volume, engine temp, lambda at exhaust even coolant temp dictates if more or less fuel is needed. The operating pressure for the cooling nozzles or piston oil squirters, is normally above 35 to 40 psi in a normal engine but can be changed by swapping the pressure spring either way, MB does not give an exact valve opening pressure for them just the values at 600, 2500, and 3500 rpm, only that they should work when oil solenoid is closed and full pressure is achieved, this can be found in Xentry in oil pressure testing general description on the M276 NA version. I've not investigated the turbski version. The valve closing "piston oil squirters" is much like the pressure relief valve in the oil pump, a check ball and spring.

They do not use oil pressure in the PCM strategy, as this would require far more processing power and software for every conceivable scenario to not disturb the EPA fuel consumption boundaries. I'm paraphrasing now.

Also, there is no way unplugging will destroy the engine. Open, it reduces oil pressure, closed, full oil pressure is resumed. If the engine dies because of this solenoid, it is because it was stuck open and not allowing enough oil pressure to open piston cooling jets, "piston oil squirters" and high RPM superheated pistons induced pre-ignition resulting in destroyed pistons beginning with the crown of the piston as it is the thinnest part nearest the valves. Detonation of incoming fuel by the superheated pistons will also be observed before catastrophic failure results. This is my interpretation of the information on catastrophic engine failures found most anywhere.

If any one has been to races and observed glowing red headers while running hard, that is the exaggerated heating in the cylinders I speak, granted, unless tuned ours will never do that, but the principle is the same, lean the mix to make more heat equals more torque. These engines are leaned out like this due to the demand for more horsepower by buyers but still meet the EPA mandates.

On oil, Manufactures build an engine around a goal, the oil specified to meet certain EPA boundaries adds to the equation for the best MPG, not longevity. Lower viscosity oils lube all the bearings faster than thicker oils, thicker oils also can reduce HP peaks as shown on Dyno runs for race engines. Engine builders test each weight till a happy medium of quick lubrication and maintaining steady oil pressure throughout the RPM range. Street cars are a lot more forgiving in viscosities used. But if you have a tune or race your car, oil analysis and tunners recommendations are more important.

A few manufactures began using "Planned Obsolescence" in the 80s, by the 90s all of them adopted the practice. Profit over integrity.

Years of working on older engines, and race engine/ transmission builders in the family, pretty much helped form these opinion.
The following 6 users liked this post by Rickman30:
jcarsnz (03-19-2024), mbwillgrubs (03-19-2024), PeterUbers (03-19-2024), steh-fan (03-27-2024), TomZVB (03-19-2024), zk2004mb (03-19-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-19-2024, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
...Not just about MB...All manu do it ...Toyota has the same issues...AND they use the same type of oil solenoid. I just gotta figure out if I can disable that one in my 2022 Highlander Platinum AWD V6 now
Just make sure the default failsafe position is for full oil pressure and not restricted oil pressure.
Lotty (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 05:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG A45 / W176
Just make sure the default failsafe position is for full oil pressure and not restricted oil pressure.
I don't find a dealer to check this Every1 told me they need special tool and they don't have it. I got all part numbers from dealer to check my oil pressure. Very expensive **** for my car
I hope i got a full oil pressure.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:44 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by Lotty
I don't find a dealer to check this Every1 told me they need special tool and they don't have it. I got all part numbers from dealer to check my oil pressure. Very expensive **** for my car
I got the same answer for my coolant when I asked if it needed changing. "Oh that takes a special tool we don't have" I said you mean the entire shop no one has a $2 coolant tester, and Snapon comes here every week. "Snapon doesn't come here" I said "Your Snapon dealer is a friend of mine, I happen to know what day and approximate time he stops here, we had lunch just across the street two weeks ago"
The following 4 users liked this post by Rickman30:
CaliBenzDriver (03-19-2024), juanmor40 (03-19-2024), Lotty (03-19-2024), TomZVB (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I got the same answer for my coolant when I asked if it needed changing. "Oh that takes a special tool we don't have" I said you mean the entire shop no one has a $2 coolant tester, and Snapon comes here every week. "Snapon doesn't come here" I said "Your Snapon dealer is a friend of mine, I happen to know what day and approximate time he stops here, we had lunch just across the street two weeks ago"
They were probably referring to not having a $50 vacuum coolant purge and fill kit. 🙄

TomZVB (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:13 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
They were probably referring to not having a $50 vacuum coolant purge and fill kit. 🙄

No, the conversation was only about testing the coolant. Even if they wanted test strips or a refractor those are available at parts hoses here too. Funny thing is, MB provides all the special tooling for every maintenance and repair they require, the tech only needs to posses basic hand tools.
juanmor40 (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Lotty
We know that the Mercedes solenoid defaults to normal pressure when not energized. If everyone told you they need a special tool, then maybe they shouldn't be working on Mercedes.

The process is simple.
  1. Connect an external oil pressure gauge and described in the WIS instructions.
  2. With the solenoid connected, read the oil pressure at 2000 rpm. It should not exceed 2 bar at any engine speed up to 3500 rpm. Above 3500 rpm, the pressure should increase to a maximum of 4 bar.
  3. With the solenoid disconnected, read the oil pressure at 2000rpm. The pressure should exceed 2 bar. If it doesn't, increase the engine speed up to, but not at or above 3500 rpm. The pressure should exceed 2 bar. If necessary, increase the speed above 3500 rpm and take note of any jump in oil pressure.

Make note of the differences between connected and disconnected. The disconnected state is the default state. The attached document instructs how to test the oil pressure with the solenoid connected.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Oil Pressure Measurement.pdf (343.4 KB, 25 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by JettaRed:
Lotty (03-19-2024), Rickman30 (03-19-2024), steh-fan (03-27-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:33 PM

AMG A45 / W176
We know that the Mercedes solenoid defaults to normal pressure when not energized. If everyone told you they need a special tool, then maybe they shouldn't be working on Mercedes.

The process is simple.
  1. Connect an external oil pressure gauge and described in the WIS instructions.
  2. With the solenoid connected, read the oil pressure at 2000 rpm. It should not exceed 2 bar at any engine speed up to 3500 rpm. Above 3500 rpm, the pressure should increase to a maximum of 4 bar.
  3. With the solenoid disconnected, read the oil pressure at 2000rpm. The pressure should exceed 2 bar. If it doesn't, increase the engine speed up to, but not at or above 3500 rpm. The pressure should exceed 2 bar. If necessary, increase the speed above 3500 rpm and take note of any jump in oil pressure.

Make note of the differences between connected and disconnected. The disconnected state is the default state. The attached document instructs how to test the oil pressure with the solenoid connected.
Again, what is default/normal pressure = max 4bar/3.5bar or 2bar?

here the test the oil pressure document for M133
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ar1800p1250mt.pdf (402.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-19-2024, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, that's rather interesting for your car. It looks like the rise in oil pressure is linear for the M133 engine. Did we determine that you had a two-stage oil pump?
Old 03-19-2024, 10:33 PM

AMG A45 / W176
Well, that's rather interesting for your car. It looks like the rise in oil pressure is linear for the M133 engine. Did we determine that you had a two-stage oil pump?
Idk i'm confused

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.33 average.

Quick Reply: Oil pump solenoids