Sponsored by:

Query regarding oil consumption on E63 AMGs 2015

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMGs Bi Turbo
Query regarding oil consumption on E63 AMGs 2015

Good evening everyone. I have owned a 2015 E63 AMGs Bi Turbo (85k on the clock) for the last 5 months and I have absolutely loved the car.

I do have a question regarding oil consumption. I should say that when it comes to cars I am not very technical, so apologies in advance if I say or ask anything stupid.

So currently I am not doing a lot of mileage, mainly driving around town and the surrounding area. I had had the car for around 3 months when I had the warning light come up and say I needed to add a litre of oil when I next refuel. So I did that and then a month later I got the same message and then again about 2 days ago. That is equating to a litre of oil a month.

I am quite heavy on the pedal, but it is mainly in comfort mode with the occasional S thrown in on a straights.

As a non tech, I have looked under the car for any leaks or by the rear. There isn’t any smoke coming off the engine when I open the hood, and there isn’t any heavy smoke from the exhaust. Occasionally when I start he car there is a petrol type smell, but thats gone within a min.

Do I potentially have an oil leak of some sort? The car is in the garage next Wed for a large service, so hopefully that will get to the bottom of it, but are there any suggestions so that when I go to the garage I have a little knowledge?

Old 01-17-2024, 09:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Ch3w84cc4
Good evening everyone. I have owned a 2015 E63 AMGs Bi Turbo (85k on the clock) for the last 5 months and I have absolutely loved the car.

I do have a question regarding oil consumption. I should say that when it comes to cars I am not very technical, so apologies in advance if I say or ask anything stupid.

So currently I am not doing a lot of mileage, mainly driving around town and the surrounding area. I had had the car for around 3 months when I had the warning light come up and say I needed to add a litre of oil when I next refuel. So I did that and then a month later I got the same message and then again about 2 days ago. That is equating to a litre of oil a month.

I am quite heavy on the pedal, but it is mainly in comfort mode with the occasional S thrown in on a straights.

As a non tech, I have looked under the car for any leaks or by the rear. There isn’t any smoke coming off the engine when I open the hood, and there isn’t any heavy smoke from the exhaust. Occasionally when I start he car there is a petrol type smell, but thats gone within a min.

Do I potentially have an oil leak of some sort? The car is in the garage next Wed for a large service, so hopefully that will get to the bottom of it, but are there any suggestions so that when I go to the garage I have a little knowledge?
- scope those cylinders
- keep a sample of your oil to send for analysis
- check pcv
- check turbos for oil

the way you describe your driving and the age and mileage adds to some moderate concern. 85k km or 85k miles? You said "petrol" so I assume Km....

did you have a proper inspection of this car before purchase?

is it tuned? Decatted? You said smell of gas on startup
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 09:58 AM

E63 AMGs Bi Turbo
Hi there, apologies for the late reply.
The car had its large service 2 days ago and they didn't detect any oil leaks or any smoke from the back. In fact the car was given a clean bill of health until I reminded them of the high oil consumption. They came back today saying its probably the pistons and that it will be a 10k job. I was rather surprised to hear this and I intend to keep track of the mileage. They say it should be a litre of oil per 1000 miles and I think I am about half that. Personally I thought it was more to do with lots of short distance drives around town.
The car hasn't been decatted and the smell of oil I think was over egged because I have been checking it and it hasn't really been present. I am going to take the car to a tuning place and get a compressor check and also to make sure the car isn't running rich.
I am trying to research whether the garage is trying it on or whether it is something much simpler.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:34 AM

Received 610 Likes on 275 Posts
poop
Neither one of my e63s would show any reduction of oil level between oil changes, the level was always the same
Old 01-31-2024, 11:35 AM

Received 237 Likes on 178 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Seems like an out of line consumption for a healthy 5.5. I see no where near that. Maybe .5ltr over 7500mi.

You should of course check your electrical harness for oil (not that it can hold this quantity). But, would not shock me if you were blowing oil past a turbine and not necessarily dripping it to the floor.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 11:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...umption-2.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...nsumption.html
Old 01-31-2024, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,644 Likes on 2,423 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
carbonated rings...

Your engine oil consumption is the proverbial "tip of an iceberg" - They are many more attributes attached to the same cause. You're not alone with this frequent issue.

Stuck rings causes oil to get combusted directly by the cyliinders.

That condition causes high crankcase blow-by pressure that sends oil out of sensors into harness towards ECU (inspect 4x CPS, 4x VVT-Solenoids)

That causes stress on the rubbery PCV that fills intake plenum with engine oil.

That causes vacuum pump to blow up one of its check valve, that fills up boost control valves with engine oil. This reduces the effectiveness of your brake vacuum booster: brake pedal is harder to press.

The list goes on... the most simple thing to do is use better grade of engine oil.

As your engine cylinders are now unbalanced and detuned by the ECU... its up to you not to muscle the engine to cause internal damage: bent rods.
Forget lucky "Italian tune-ups": (RIP!)

The stuck piston rings are caused by a defective oiling system combined with a poor oil grade.

It's uneasy to chart a normal course away from that corner. Better oiling pressure does not always help. Wet cylinders cause greater consumption....

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 01-31-2024 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:46 PM

E63 AMGs Bi Turbo
Thank you everyone for all of your replies. I am using Petronas 5W-40. There is absolutely no blowing at the back and there is no oil leak that was detected when it was serviced a couple of days ago. Is that the right quality of oil I should be using?
Old 01-31-2024, 12:54 PM

Received 237 Likes on 178 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
There is absolutely no blowing at the back and there is no oil leak that was detected when it was serviced a couple of days ago.
If it were my car - I would have a buddy behind me and launch the car and look for smoke. Then, at highway speeds go WOT and see if your buddy notices any smoke. Idling in the garage may not make the pressure to blow past what ever it is blowing past.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,644 Likes on 2,423 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
frequent oil service

Thank you everyone for all of your replies. I am using Petronas 5W-40. There is absolutely no blowing at the back and there is no oil leak that was detected when it was serviced a couple of days ago. Is that the right quality of oil I should be using?
I am sure Petronas is excellent as every oil is self-certified to be the best blend of synthetic stocks and additives.... I remember the high heat touring around KLL with its famous Petronas towers.

This engine oil is forced to extreme heat condition and should best be changed near 5000.Mi NOT the recommended annual service or 10kMi.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:18 PM

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 CL 63, 2002 E 55, 04 Jaguar XJ8, 66 Jaguar XKE
I had some oil consumption issues early with my CL63 (M157). I think the change of the crankcase ventilation device solved it. It also made it run a bit better. Check the vacuum check valve as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by mbwillgrubs:
jcarsnz (01-31-2024), Yakatak (02-01-2024)