W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014-2016 AWD E63 TCU Factory Software Version?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2024, 01:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S Sedan
2014-2016 AWD E63 TCU Factory Software Version?

Does anyone know if it's possible to determine the TCU factory software version on a 2014-2016 AWD E63? Can Xentry or a scanner see this? Have people on this forum ever posted what version they have? Is there even such a thing as a TCU Factory software version? Can the factory TCU software be updated in any way besides going to the dealer?

I'm asking because (1) in searching through past posts in this forum on this subject I've seen various references suggesting there was a MB TCU software update for these cars in 2015 and possibly one in 2019, and (2) although the transmission in my early production no-mods low mileage 2014 works very well and has never had an issue, in my six years of ownership I've never gotten any rev-match throttle blip on downshifts in any transmission mode under any circumstances. The car shifts well, just no blips. Other later production (especially 2015 and 2016) no-mods cars I've driven or seen on YouTube do the throttle blip. I've tried several times both the sneaky TCU reset and disconnecting the battery with no noticeable effect on downshifts. When I've had the car scanned it never had any fault codes.

My hope is that if I can determine whether various versions of the software exist, then determine what's in my car and if there's a later version, I can get mine updated, Not sure how easy this would be because some posts I've seen suggest dealerships push back on updating factory ECU and TCU software unless the car has a serious verifiable problem, lest they break something unrelated.

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-31-2024, 01:57 PM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
Originally Posted by terryttk
Does anyone know if it's possible to determine the TCU factory software version on a 2014-2016 AWD E63? Can Xentry or a scanner see this? Have people on this forum ever posted what version they have? Is there even such a thing as a TCU Factory software version? Can the factory TCU software be updated in any way besides going to the dealer?

I'm asking because (1) in searching through past posts in this forum on this subject I've seen various references suggesting there was a MB TCU software update for these cars in 2015 and possibly one in 2019, and (2) although the transmission in my early production no-mods low mileage 2014 works very well and has never had an issue, in my six years of ownership I've never gotten any rev-match throttle blip on downshifts in any transmission mode under any circumstances. The car shifts well, just no blips. Other later production (especially 2015 and 2016) no-mods cars I've driven or seen on YouTube do the throttle blip. I've tried several times both the sneaky TCU reset and disconnecting the battery with no noticeable effect on downshifts. When I've had the car scanned it never had any fault codes.

My hope is that if I can determine whether various versions of the software exist, then determine what's in my car and if there's a later version, I can get mine updated, Not sure how easy this would be because some posts I've seen suggest dealerships push back on updating factory ECU and TCU software unless the car has a serious verifiable problem, lest they break something unrelated.

Thanks for any help!
XEntry with show the current software
Old 07-31-2024, 02:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by kenneyd
XEntry with show the current software
Thanks for the info Kenny! What TCU software version do you have? It was actually the downshifts in your recent "sneaky transmission reset" Youtube video that prompted me to write this post. I wish I could get those cool throttle blips that you get in your 2016 with my 2014.

Here's a link to the moment in Kenny's video where he downshifts:
Old 07-31-2024, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,409 Likes on 2,273 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
tip of the iceberg....

There's no question this "relearn procedure" is definitely 100% effective but temporarily.

It's effective to relearn shift-points when changing oil viscosity or when tranny is super+bangy with weird delayed shifts...

The flip side is this fix will span less 500Mi. Little by little, shift after shifts tranny relearns the way it was before.... soon honeymoon over again.

This quick reset procedure shows how basic shifts can be made "not so bad".

> What gives???
The gearbox works great like swiss-clock with its factory firmware + ATF.

Two things force gearbox to learn poor shifts:
1- Engine control
2- CAN-C latencies

The tranny environment variables must be made more predictable.

- 1 - Engine sealed rings: Solenoid MOD + useable viscosity (5w40; 15w40; 0/5w50).

- 2 - CAN-C random latencies: ESP + ISM

Then engine will run predictably and tranny will match that perfectly well (banging shifts from factory 100% canceled).

It is wrong to coral poor shifts onto tranny being setup to fail.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 07-31-2024 at 05:31 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
There's no question this "relearn procedure" is definitely 100% effective but temporarily.

It's effective to relearn shift-points when changing oil viscosity or when tranny is super+bangy with weird delayed shifts...

The flip side is this fix will span less 500Mi. Little by little, shift after shifts tranny relearns the way it was before.... soon honeymoon over again.

This quick reset procedure shows how basic shifts can be made "not so bad".

> What gives???
The gearbox works great like swiss-clock with its factory firmware + ATF.

Two things force gearbox to learn poor shifts:
1- Engine control
2- CAN-C latencies

The tranny environment variables must be made more predictable.

- 1 - Engine sealed rings: Solenoid MOD + useable viscosity (5w40; 15w40; 0/5w50).

- 2 - CAN-C random latencies: ESP + ISM

Then engine will run predictably and tranny will match that perfectly well (banging shifts from factory 100% canceled).

It is wrong to coral poor shifts onto tranny being setup to fail.
Not to change the thread subject too much, but this brought up another question - I occasionally get poor shift quality (and my transmission and TCU are brand new - old one was slipping, which is now much better). So, I have the most updated software and adaptation drives were all performed etc. I have no ESP codes, wheel speed sensors all seem to read correctly, but the ISM makes me wonder (well, it says ESM in my module list in my scan tool). For some reason I can't scan it for codes, but my scanner is an iCarsoft and not Xentry so that could also mean nothing (although I can access just about everything else).

Before all the work was done by the dealer, I performed another ATF service just to rule out any issues in level/quality, found it to be perfect and clean. However, after the service it drove much better but only for a time. I couldn't figure it out. When you remove the pan you have to unplug that wire connector on the drivers side of the transmission which I'm assuming is the ESM. So, with that unplugged from power for an hour or two, it then drove great and slowly went back into it's old habit (upshifting almost immediately, lugging, and just 'awkward' shifting).

What else besides just seeing what position the shifter is in does the ESM 'manage'?
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

New tranny + TCU = "same difference!"

Originally Posted by GinDistiller
Not to change the thread subject too much, but this brought up another question - I occasionally get poor shift quality (and my transmission and TCU are brand new - old one was slipping, which is now much better).

So, I have the most updated software and adaptation drives were all performed etc. I have no ESP codes, wheel speed sensors all seem to read correctly, but the ISM makes me wonder (well, it says ESM in my module list in my scan tool).

For some reason I can't scan it for codes, but my scanner is an iCarsoft and not Xentry so that could also mean nothing (although I can access just about everything else).

Before all the work was done by the dealer, I performed another ATF service just to rule out any issues in level/quality, found it to be perfect and clean.

However, after the service it drove much better but only for a time. I couldn't figure it out.

When you remove the pan you have to unplug that wire connector on the drivers side of the transmission which I'm assuming is the ESM.
So, with that unplugged from power for an hour or two, it then drove great and slowly went back into it's old habit (upshifting almost immediately, lugging, and just 'awkward' shifting).

What else besides just seeing what position the shifter is in does the ESM 'manage'?
No problem, you are well within the topic of TCU firmware contribution.

Your experience confirms that new firmware with new tranny DOES VERY LITTLE TO HELP the multiple ways tranny delivers poor shifts as:
"(upshifting almost immediately, lugging, and just 'awkward' shifting)"

To let tranny learn how to perform perfect shifts requires you to untangle CAN-C latencies + engine oiling.

I would start with CAN-C because the engine MOD requires time to deliver sealed pistons. Besides ECU benefits from "normal" CAN-C timings.

CAN-C is the high-speed bus shared by ECU-TCU to synchronize shifts plus other VIP's such as ESP, ISM/ESM, LPFP, CGW,... none of which report faults for bus latencies we are dealing with.

TCU work with delayed ECU orders. Even after a reboot, shifts stay poor.... wait, I think I can get you free honest simple instant sample good for 50Miles.

> Quick 2 Steps Procedure:
-1- REBOOT whole chassis
-2- TCU KeyOn/Off RELEARN procedure
= 50 great Miles.

This is going to temporarily work great until CGW/ESP performance get spoiled again and TCU relearns poor shifts from bad conditions.
You'll enjoy unusual snappiness

The longterm fix is to resolder poor connections from CAN-C solderless modules: ESP + ISM/ESM.
This will enable your ECU to provide advanced powerful GDI timings with normally managed heat.

-- TCU right away will learn perfect RPM matched shifts. Instead of getting worse, shifts will become perfectly seemless.
-- ECU improvements are gradual until GDI is activated... then accelerator becomes pressure sensitive at all RPM.

It's pretty simple:
all you need to do is provide normal oiling + normal timing conditions for firmware to handout lasting luxury performance.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; Yesterday at 03:30 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,441 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
One way the 2015 tcu updated helped me was the "dead pedal" issue - would occasionally come to a normal stop sign then gradually try to accelerate but just had a dead accelerator pedal until I pumped it a couple times - was disturbing

never had that after the dealer tcu update back then - I've had the car new since 2014
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SMALL WORLD.... pedal

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
One way the 2015 tcu updated helped me was the "dead pedal" issue - would occasionally come to a normal stop sign then gradually try to accelerate but just had a dead accelerator pedal until I pumped it a couple times - was disturbing

never had that after the dealer tcu update back then - I've had the car new since 2014
Peter, I too had the "dead accelerator" recall early in 2014 @ 5kMi old... not sure if that was identical. Unresponsive limp-mode for sure.

The TSB identified "loose connection pins" which I did not know then were likely "solderless pins" used in a few selected modules - Not the steering rack, not the ECU, not the TCU.

New pedal sensor under warranty.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; Yesterday at 08:56 PM.