Thread on disabled features on these cars that are available in Europe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 670 Likes on 526 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Thread on disabled features on these cars that are available in Europe

There are two features I can think of that are not available on the USA 213s that are available in Europe. I would like to have both these features as they are very useful. One is the Speed limit assist where the car matches the speed limit displayed on the speedometer display as a white speed limit sign. In Europe the car while the distronic is engaged will match and maintain this speed, this is useful for when the speed limit changes taking stress off the driver to have to pay attention as much to speed limit signs. For whatever reason this feature is disabled on the USA cars. I'm hopeful someone comes out with a hack or there is a software update available through MB that allows this built in feature eventually to work in the USA Cars. The second feature I wish were available is the feature called Parking Pilot which allows the car to park without the driver in the car and controlling the car VIA Cell phone from outside the car. This feature would be useful if someone parked too close you could remote start the car and back the car out of the parking spot using your cell phone. As far as I know this feature is available with these cars in Europe but not in the USA. Again I would love to have this feature. I use a wheelchair and need the door open wide to get the wheelchair in the car and should someone park too close this would be very useful. I'm just wondering if anybody in the know has heard if these two features will ever be enabled on these cars in the USA? It sure would be nice.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 158 Likes on 105 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark

Actually... I agree.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 / 2012 ML 550
I have a 2018 W213 in Canada, and it does have the Traffic Sign Assist feature, which alerts you visually, and audibly to road speed limit signs.
On the other hand, neither MBrace, nor the Acoustic Comfort Package, nor the Mercedes Me app is available in Canada .
Who makes these decisions ????
I dont think the Remote Pilot Parking app is available anywhere in North America.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 699 Likes on 532 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
https://www.media.mbusa.com/releases...shedDescending
  • Remote Parking Pilot: For the first time, this system allows the vehicle to be moved into and out of garages and parking spaces remotely using a smartphone app, enabling the occupants to get into and out of the car easily, even if space is very tight. Remote Parking Pilot will be available in the US in a later model year.

- sounds like it will be available for the facelift 2020 ?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by roger23
I have a 2018 W213 in Canada, and it does have the Traffic Sign Assist feature, which alerts you visually, and audibly to road speed limit signs.
On the other hand, neither MBrace, nor the Acoustic Comfort Package, nor the Mercedes Me app is available in Canada .
Who makes these decisions ????
I dont think the Remote Pilot Parking app is available anywhere in North America.
There's Traffic Sign Assist and then there's the active cruise control speed limit following that recognizes the signs and adjusts the cruise control speed automagically.

The automagic speed limit following feature while cruise control was active we enabled on my US car that was delivered in Germany last month. I used the heck out of that feature during our two weeks of touring. If in fact it doesn't work once the car makes it to the states next month I'll be quite disappointed.

I will have enough room in my garage so that the Parking Pilot feature won't be necessary, but I was actually looking forward to being able to use it in certain situations. I try to park where there is room to avoid door dings but every once and a while there's just no choice or someone parks close to you after the fact. I can see how it would be a must have feature for 2012 merc amg.

These are features common to all E class cars right? So, shouldn't be just a handful of AMG owners that are missing the features, it is ALL the E class. I would imagine it's just a software upgrade away (or in my case a downgrade then upgrade), so hopefully the features will be coming soon.

I know Tesla has a version of the Parking Pilot, and I think they follow speed signs too on cruise. So, it's probably a software certification issue where Mercedes has to jump through some hoop they're not quite ready to do.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 158 Likes on 105 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Originally Posted by E634Me
I know Tesla has a version of the Parking Pilot, and I think they follow speed signs too on cruise. So, it's probably a software certification issue where Mercedes has to jump through some hoop they're not quite ready to do.
Audi is introducing the remote park on the A8 for MY18 from my understanding. For some folks (as noted above), this is a very important option to have. I hope MB provides a software upgrade of some kind.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,336 Likes on 2,061 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by 24Hours
Audi is introducing the remote park on the A8 for MY18 from my understanding. For some folks (as noted above), this is a very important option to have. I hope MB provides a software upgrade of some kind.
The remote parking feature isn’t a new thing and was already introduced a couple of years ago with the BMW 7 series. In the US implementation is always hampered by outdated regulation and liability concerns. I believe BMW got this taken care of and hope that will happen for all of them. I remember even keyless go was available for 4 years in Europe before it finally showed up in the US.
The following users liked this post:
24Hours (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes Mercedes is a slow adopter for some reason. I know our 213's are capable of doing either the park pilot or the speed limit assist, I'm hopeful both these features will eventually become available in the USA. I know even in my 2012 E63 Wagon you could only open the rear tailgate with the key fob but not close it, when you tried to close it you would just hear a click noise. Obviously this feature had been blocked out for liability reasons although every other car out there at that time you were able to close the tailgate using the key fob. At least now that function is available with the 2018's so at least they are making some progress with things lol. All I really want is my extra FOB key that the dealer lost 6 weeks ago before delivery of my car. It's pathetic. The salesman is always to busy to get back to me and has no answers. I called MB USA and they were of no help. Really pathetic when you spend 116K for a car.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 12-07-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Remote parking is available on the new 5 series, 2017?? I believe. I played with it a bit some months back
Old 12-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

There are several features unavailable in the US that could be nice.

NFC door sensors. Different than NFC charging, this allows the Smartphone to act as a physical key. Not the Mercedes Me app but the actual phone. It's a $120 Euro option. That said, I always liked the idea but their implementation is less than desirable (No iPhone, phone has to physically touch the door handle)

Couple things I had and used in Europe.
1. Fire extinguisher mounted underneath driver seat for one
2. Stand-by heater - does the same thing as remote start except it's a separate system (not the engine) that runs to heat the cabin and engine liquids - runs on timer or via (direct) remote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 E63 S Designo Diamond White
The Speed Limit Assist works on mine in the US. You can set it up to warn you in the heads-up display when the speed limit changes or when you exceed it by a specified amount. When using the Distronic it will automatically reduce the speed set in cruise control to the observed signs. In fact there is one section of tollway here in Houston, TX where the car reads the 35MPH sign on the frontage road sometimes and abruptly slows down me down from my set 80MPH to 35MPH!

No luck on the parking app though.
E634Me (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Just FYI. The remote parking app is part of a remote parking option that costs over 1800 Euro for the E63.

So while not available here, it isn’t just the download of an app or some software.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 E63S
The remote parking option is next to free..
I had to pay 730 norwegian kroner (actually a bit less as my car is totally tax free..)
This equals 75 euros or USD 88.

On cars without keyless go it will be more expensive, but who would order a car without keyless in 2017?
Old 12-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 78degrees
The remote parking option is next to free..
I had to pay 730 norwegian kroner (actually a bit less as my car is totally tax free..)
This equals 75 euros or USD 88.

On cars without keyless go it will be more expensive, but who would order a car without keyless in 2017?
Car and options pricing are packaged by country, so the cost for options vary wildly.

I was going by German configuration. In the US, keyless Go is standard equipment and the remote parking feature may cost a couple hundred bucks
For reference, selecting keyless go (1440 Euro in Germany) reduces the remote parking package to 975 Euro. Still pricey

Looks you got a great deal in Norway
Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

The other thing not available in the US is the AMG Track Pace app (data logger for track use)
Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KBourque
The Speed Limit Assist works on mine in the US. You can set it up to warn you in the heads-up display when the speed limit changes or when you exceed it by a specified amount. When using the Distronic it will automatically reduce the speed set in cruise control to the observed signs. In fact there is one section of tollway here in Houston, TX where the car reads the 35MPH sign on the frontage road sometimes and abruptly slows down me down from my set 80MPH to 35MPH!

interesting in the heads up display. That’s one thing I have not tried. I’ll see if I can figure out a way to get this feature working via heads up display. That would be great if I can figure it out. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KBourque

Can you explain how you set it up? I tried putting my car in heads up display mode and it still does not match the speed on the speed limit signs displayed on the dash, the car simply goes whatever speed you set the distronic at. I dunno maybe my car is missing something that your car has. Then on the other hand my car does have the track pace app and it gives all kinds timers and graphs and that sort of thing, strange. The other thing is that the service manager of a large well respected mercedes dealer was the one who told me the speed limit assist was disabled on these cars. I do get the signs displayed and they flash when I go over the speed limit and even get the yellow signs when entering corners so as to advice a lower speed limit or on off ramps, but there just seems to be no physical connection between speed limit displayed and the distronic setting the speed at that limit.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 12-09-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone else get speed matching the limit with distronic and is there a special hidden menu to do this somewhere?, I can't find it and I've search high and low. Bugs me when someone tells me something is suppose to work and it does not. It does sound good in theory for automatic speed control based on speed limit, around here the limits change a lot on Rt. 41 and sounds like a super useful function. I was very surprised when KBourque said it worked and still don't know if I believe it as the MB Service Advisor says no. I guess I may never solve this mystery, lol.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 E63S: Former cars 2016 C450, 2013 C350, 2009 C300
Can someone explain how the parking pilot is used. I have both the traffic sign assist and the track pace app on my US based car im wondering if mine slipped through with these features turned on.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
I found this:
http://www.mercedesofsalem.com/blog/...parking-pilot/
Old 12-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Can you explain how you set it up? I tried putting my car in heads up display mode and it still does not match the speed on the speed limit signs displayed on the dash, the car simply goes whatever speed you set the distronic at. I dunno maybe my car is missing something that your car has. Then on the other hand my car does have the track pace app and it gives all kinds timers and graphs and that sort of thing, strange. The other thing is that the service manager of a large well respected mercedes dealer was the one who told me the speed limit assist was disabled on these cars. I do get the signs displayed and they flash when I go over the speed limit and even get the yellow signs when entering corners so as to advice a lower speed limit or on off ramps, but there just seems to be no physical connection between speed limit displayed and the distronic setting the speed at that limit.
The traffic sign Assist is supposed to be camera based, along with data from navigation. The information form the camera is used by the Speed Limit Pilot which in turn is used by Distronic Plus. So much the theory. Like you I am not seeing the cameras picking up the actual speed limit signs, but rather use the often false info from the navigation.
I haven't done anything to test the function but have used Distronic a few times and not encountered a slow-down beyond the speed limit. I will try in coming days.

In regards to the track pace app, that is actually an iPhone app. If you have something on the comand screen, can you take a couple pics and share? Love to see those...

In the meantime, here is a pic where the function is turned on. It's listed under Assistance, Traffic Sign Assist...

Last edited by Wolfman; 12-09-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by E634Me
This is the Remote Parking Piliot ours have only the Active Parking Assist
Old 12-09-2017, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll have to check again for that menu, I don't remember seeing that but I guess I must have it because the traffic signs do appear in my car. It would be great to solve this mystery. Kbourque's post caught me off guard as I was under the impression the speed limit assist paired with the Distronic did not work in the USA and him being in Texas that's the USA, lol. I've just yet to have it work with my car. But I'll look again for the assist menu. Maybe Kbourques car is one car wonder in the USA, lol.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Wolfman
This is the Remote Parking Piliot ours have only the Active Parking Assist
Oh, for that, just press the button on the lower right of the center console. That should bring up the parking assist menu and start the car looking for parking places. When a usable spot pops up, press the center knob to select then follow the directions.

You can also press the parking assist button then turn the center knob to select other options such as alternative camera views - very helpful when parking yourself so as not to run the front spoiler into a curb or one of those concrete space dividers.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Didn't have a copy of the manual on this computer so just downloaded one. The parking instructions start on page 180.

You need to have the parking assist parktronic button on the left hand side of the front console near your left knee turned on first. That turns on all the warning beepers and so on. Next step is to enable the active parking assist. The instructions for that start on page 191. Push the button I mentioned earlier - it looks like a P sign with a camera on it. The E Class manual shows the button in the wrong place - look for item 14 on the AMG Supplement manual.

Also, related to the traffic signal assist - page 196 of the manual shows the camera locations on the front of the rearview mirror and page 198 shows how to select the speed limit adoption function.
2012 merc amg (12-09-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thread on disabled features on these cars that are available in Europe