Sponsored by:

F90 M5 vs E63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts
2018 E63, 2008 SLR DH, 2011 599 SA, 1995 F50, 2007 through 2011 GT3 RS
F90 M5 vs E63s

I just received my F90 M5 this morning from across the country. ( Really wanted a specific color combo and moonroof). Preliminary observations below:

The E63s looks nicer at first glance and my wife calls it a "space ship interior". The F90 looks more traditional but you can feel the higher quality of the materials and switches when comparing both. I just got the F90 this morning so still playing with it but I feel like the tech is better integrated in the F90.
Apple car play does not need to be plugged in like on the E63.
The media controls are pretty slow in the E63 and light speed in the F90.

The F90 is not as aggressive looking, and does not sound nearly as good as the E63s ( removing resonators tomorrow as this car sounds pretty quiet)
Tt does ride so much better compared to the E on my commute to the office and a lot less road noise too.
I am gonna take it for a drive tonight once traffic dies down to really get a feel of power, steering and handling compared to the E63. My M5 did come with Michelin P4s and my E63s had pirellis

Once I drive the F90 more this afternoon and tonight and I will write a comparo of the 2 from an owners perspective and post tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
2018 AMG E63S
Nice!

Post some pics, please. You're talking to an uber BMW fanboy here so don't hold back.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
I had a friend who had a 2017 m3 with wireless CarPlay...

And he said it was not I, when it worked. That being said I’m not sure if it was a phone thing or a bmw thing. Either way it worked so poorly he stopped using it. I hope your CarPlay integration works better... ours sucks in the e63... I will say that the later software builds are slightly quicker but overall a poor integration from MB.

More importantly Congrats on the new ride. Hope it serves you better that the E did. Enjoy!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C6 Z06, 997 C2S
Wow congrats!

If you could post some side by side pix of both of your cars that would be sweet. Saw my first F90 M5 on the road last week and it was a looker.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Even without your further review, you sold me with a better ride. Not to mention BMW has the tuning advantage. I haven’t preferred an M car over an AMG since the E39 but the F90 appears to now do AMG better than AMG.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:25 PM

2018 AMG E63S
Originally Posted by chiromikey
Even without your further review, you sold me with a better ride. Not to mention BMW has the tuning advantage. I haven’t preferred an M car over an AMG since the E39 but the F90 appears to now do AMG better than AMG.
Like I said earlier, I'm a huge BMW fan but I'm not following what was said here that would sway your choice so heavily toward the F90 and certainly not why you would say the F90 does AMG better than AMG do? Can you elaborate?
Old 03-28-2018, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by limeypride
Like I said earlier, I'm a huge BMW fan but I'm not following what was said here that would sway your choice so heavily toward the F90 and certainly not why you would say the F90 does AMG better than AMG do? Can you elaborate?
AMG was all about Autobahn cruising, tons of tq and power, “komfort power” as Kleemann used to say. Handling was above average but not to the point where it sacrificed ride quality. I haven’t been in the W213 yet but by all accounts the ride is more harsh than the W212...and I hate the ride in my W212 E63. What little handling improvements there were over my W211 AMGs are not worth the sacrifice. BMW used to be much more handling focused than AMG, a drivers’ car. They’d always lose to AMG in a straight line but make up for it in the corners, but at the sacrifice of ride comfort compared to MB. Now it seems the roles are reversing. The BMW’s will likely and probably easily take down the AMGs in a straight line when you account for aftermarket tuning/modding (335s are already doing it) and that’s the playground I prefer. I know it’s absurd but if I want sports car ride/harshness I’ll buy a sports car.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:14 AM

2018 AMG E63S
Originally Posted by chiromikey

AMG was all about Autobahn cruising, tons of tq and power, “komfort power” as Kleemann used to say. Handling was above average but not to the point where it sacrificed ride quality. I haven’t been in the W213 yet but by all accounts the ride is more harsh than the W212...and I hate the ride in my W212 E63. What little handling improvements there were over my W211 AMGs are not worth the sacrifice. BMW used to be much more handling focused than AMG, a drivers’ car. They’d always lose to AMG in a straight line but make up for it in the corners, but at the sacrifice of ride comfort compared to MB. Now it seems the roles are reversing. The BMW’s will likely and probably easily take down the AMGs in a straight line when you account for aftermarket tuning/modding (335s are already doing it) and that’s the playground I prefer. I know it’s absurd but if I want sports car ride/harshness I’ll buy a sports car.
Well said and well put! Thanks for entertaining my question.

That said and as much of a BMW fan as I am, I'm not quite with you just yet Your conclusions (around ride quality--which I think you mentioned were a catalyst for deciding one way or the other--among other performance factors) are leaps of faith as opposed to based on bum-in-seat experiences. Is the E63S on 20" wheels with MPS4Ss a soft, compliant ride? No, it's very much not. For me, does it feel any different to 3 x F10 M5s, 2 xF06 M6 GCs and an Audi RS7 Performance (springs, not air) over the past 4 years or so with identical setups? Again, no--295s with a 30% or at best 35% sidewall generally don't ride that well. In fact, my own E63S' ride quality was far better the day I drove it off the lot than it is now... probably something to do with the fact that I lowered it 25mm on all four corners using clever air-suspension trickery... so my own car's a terrible example to compare. I've yet to drive the F90 M5--I have driven its 550 counterpart--but there's still nothing about that car's ride quality (which, in terms of comfort, is presumably superior to its M-brethren) that stood out.

For me, it's important to drive both the F90 M5 and the W213 E63S before hard conclusions around handling and ride quality can be drawn--it's way too subjective a topic since it's not about track-times achieved by some supremely-skilled driver, rather it's about driving enjoyment by the individual behind the wheel... again, at least it is for me. Straight-line performance is perhaps a different matter, though, since there are scientific and reproducible ways of measuring two vehicles in similar or exacting conditions across say a 1/4 mile. In this regard, perhaps AMG trumped BMW M-cars in the past--it's not a comparison I know too much about but I suspect 4WD was a key factor. Somewhat unrelated here but relevant to the straight-line performance topic: that's Audi's game and they're still winning it... I guess it all depends, though, how far we're prepared to take the tunes.

Anyhoo, I suspect I'll get to drive the F90 M5 within the next few months when they become more readily available for test drives but, until then, I'll withhold judgement and continue smiling every time I get to hear an AMG cold-start and every time I crack out a 60mph launch in 3 seconds dead (or substantially less I hope when the weather stops sucking) in a supremely-luxurious (seriously, the interior is ridiculous) supercar-predator of a family sedan.

Last edited by limeypride; 03-29-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
What he said...

Well said and well put! Thanks for entertaining my question.

That said and as much of a BMW fan as I am, I'm not quite with you just yet Your conclusions (around ride quality--which I think you mentioned were a catalyst for deciding one way or the other--among other performance factors) are leaps of faith as opposed to based on bum-in-seat experiences. Is the E63S on 20" wheels with MPS4Ss a soft, compliant ride? No, it's very much not. For me, does it feel any different to 3 x F10 M5s, 2 xF06 M6 GCs and an Audi RS7 Performance (springs, not air) over the past 4 years or so with identical setups? Again, no--295s with a 30% or at best 35% sidewall generally don't ride that well. In fact, my own E63S' ride quality was far better the day I drove it off the lot than it is now... probably something to do with the fact that I lowered it 25mm on all four corners using clever air-suspension trickery... so my own car's a terrible example to compare. I've yet to drive the F90 M5--I have driven its 550 counterpart--but there's still nothing about that car's ride quality (which, in terms of comfort, is presumably superior to its M-brethren) that stood out.

For me, it's important to drive both the F90 M5 and the W213 E63S before hard conclusions around handling and ride quality can be drawn--it's way too subjective a topic since it's not about track-times achieved by some supremely-skilled driver, rather it's about driving enjoyment by the individual behind the wheel... again, at least it is for me. Straight-line performance is perhaps a different matter, though, since there are scientific and reproducible ways of measuring two vehicles in similar or exacting conditions across say a 1/4 mile. In this regard, perhaps AMG trumped BMW M-cars in the past--it's not a comparison I know too much about but I suspect 4WD was a key factor. Somewhat unrelated here but relevant to the straight-line performance topic: that's Audi's game and they're still winning it... I guess it all depends, though, how far we're prepared to take the tunes.

Anyhoo, I suspect I'll get to drive the F90 M5 within the next few months when they become more readily available for test drives but, until then, I'll withhold judgement and continue smiling every time I get to hear an AMG cold-start and every time I crack out a 60mph launch in 3 seconds dead (or substantially less I hope when the weather stops sucking) in a supremely-luxurious (seriously, the interior is ridiculous) supercar-predator of a family sedan.
lol happy holidays everyone!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:47 AM

Here are pics of th M5

Old 03-29-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
Very nice. Just like the e63, you'll be visiting that gas station quite often.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
The dealer didn't fill it for you?
Old 03-29-2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by E634Me
The dealer didn't fill it for you?
They couldn’t since I bought it in Virginia and had it shipped to me. Trucking company asked not for it to be filled with Gas.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Makes perfect sense. Would have been nice to have had them deliver it with a tank of 93 octane
Old 03-29-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Quickburn7
I just received my F90 M5 this morning from across the country. ( Really wanted a specific color combo and moonroof). Preliminary observations below:

The E63s looks nicer at first glance and my wife calls it a "space ship interior". The F90 looks more traditional but you can feel the higher quality of the materials and switches when comparing both. I just got the F90 this morning so still playing with it but I feel like the tech is better integrated in the F90.
Apple car play does not need to be plugged in like on the E63.
The media controls are pretty slow in the E63 and light speed in the F90.

The F90 is not as aggressive looking, and does not sound nearly as good as the E63s ( removing resonators tomorrow as this car sounds pretty quiet)
Tt does ride so much better compared to the E on my commute to the office and a lot less road noise too.
I am gonna take it for a drive tonight once traffic dies down to really get a feel of power, steering and handling compared to the E63. My M5 did come with Michelin P4s and my E63s had pirellis

Once I drive the F90 more this afternoon and tonight and I will write a comparo of the 2 from an owners perspective and post tomorrow.
Here is quick write up of the two cars: I still think the E63 is faster in a straight line on 95% of conditions but have not pushed the M5 much yet.... it just really feels that way.

Love the color combo of Singapore grey on Silverstone. It looks amazing in the light. The silverstone is going to drive me crazy with scratches and dirt but its well worth it when clean. (Pictures below)

The car drives great.. steering is a wonderful mix between a 911 light and communicative steering and the the E63s heavy ut more numb weighted steering.

The ride and handling of the M5 are leaps and bounds from the E63s as that car is pretty stiff and feels a lot heavier than the M5.

The M5 drives very small... with the E63s you always knew you were driving a large sedan. The M5 on the canyons seems almost like an E46 m3 I had. Very tossible and changes directions very well.

The transmission is very smooth. Changes up and down are pretty quick and seemless. Not PDK standards but much better than the MCT 9 speed in the E63 which at least in my car was great on upshifts but some downshifts were pretty harsh for this kind of car.

The one thing I am still not sure about is power because I have not pushed the M5 hard yet. However at up to 80 mph the E63 feels much faster. I think its the enormous torque the E63 has that gives you the feeling of never ending power compared to the M5 which I think shows more of its power way higher up the rev range which I have not explored yet.

The negatives are few:

- Rear seat legroom with those seats is pretty tight.

- The noise of the car is pretty weak specially compared to the music the E63 lets out but I think the resonator removal will fix that or at least I hope it does.

- The car needs to be lowered.

- Need to take a class on how to operate the idrive and all the features.

- The HUD is very crisp and clear but cannot be set to show only necessary info like on the E63. I think on the M5 it only has 3 different modes.
The following users liked this post:
Cyberbug (04-01-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Great first impressions! I think BMW has produced a car that will sell quite well. Given the high residuals and low MF, these will be a bargain to lease vs any AMG.
I do believe that BMW does the best job on the software for the ZF trannies; so a slush box can nicely live in a M5.

Not having seen one in the flesh yet so far though I feel that car just looks too tame...

Enjoy!
Old 03-29-2018, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Here is quick write up of the two cars: I still think the E63 is faster in a straight line on 95% of conditions but have not pushed the M5 much yet.... it just really feels that way.

Love the color combo of Singapore grey on Silverstone. It looks amazing in the light. The silverstone is going to drive me crazy with scratches and dirt but its well worth it when clean. (Pictures below)

The car drives great.. steering is a wonderful mix between a 911 light and communicative steering and the the E63s heavy ut more numb weighted steering.

The ride and handling of the M5 are leaps and bounds from the E63s as that car is pretty stiff and feels a lot heavier than the M5.

The M5 drives very small... with the E63s you always knew you were driving a large sedan. The M5 on the canyons seems almost like an E46 m3 I had. Very tossible and changes directions very well.

The transmission is very smooth. Changes up and down are pretty quick and seemless. Not PDK standards but much better than the MCT 9 speed in the E63 which at least in my car was great on upshifts but some downshifts were pretty harsh for this kind of car.

The one thing I am still not sure about is power because I have not pushed the M5 hard yet. However at up to 80 mph the E63 feels much faster. I think its the enormous torque the E63 has that gives you the feeling of never ending power compared to the M5 which I think shows more of its power way higher up the rev range which I have not explored yet.

The negatives are few:

- The noise of the car is pretty weak specially compared to the music the E63 lets out but I think the resonator removal will fix that or at least I hope it does.

- The HUD is very crisp and clear but cannot be set to show only necessary info like on the E63. I think on the M5 it only has 3 different modes.
Thanks Sylvain, I know you have real world perspective not only with these two cars but also with so many more exotic and top performers. I think the keys for me are the ride (which I dont mind with my E) and the speed. But the biggest ones are the looks and the sound. Im still trying to wrap my arms around the rather docile looks of the M5 (My OP) and the sounds. I am still going to get the F90 but when the ZCP comes out.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55
Thanks Sylvain, I know you have real world perspective not only with these two cars but also with so many more exotic and top performers. I think the keys for me are the ride (which I dont mind with my E) and the speed. But the biggest ones are the looks and the sound. Im still trying to wrap my arms around the rather docile looks of the M5 (My OP) and the sounds. I am still going to get the F90 but when the ZCP comes out.
VIC I agree. The M5 looks very tame compared to the E63 which would get looks and compliments everywhere I went. MB really did an amazing job making it stand out from all angles.

It needs wide flares like the M3 and a more aggressive front and rear bumpers.
The resonator delete should fix the sound issue but the drive/ ride/steering and interior quality are just better than the E I think.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:38 PM

2018 AMG E63S

The negatives are few:

Nice! Thanks for the write-up.

If you have any Qs re: the iDrive, feel free to ping me--I consider myself quite the aficionado!

The HUD on the M-cars is configured more a-la-carte than AMG's approach of fixed recipes. It can also be configured differently for each of the two M-buttons which the AMG is sadly lacking--a single individual setting isn't enough for me. AMG also doesn't allow you to switch out the HUD contents according to drive-mode... an oversight they can easily address in a S/W update I hope.

A quick trick since it's helpful: to program the M-buttons, simply set the car up as you desire using the array of controls near and on the shift-lever, then hold the desired M-button until you hear an audible confirmation--this is faster and easier to experiment with than doing it in the iDrive menus.

Last edited by limeypride; 03-29-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 667 Likes on 514 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
any thoughts/plan of putting some Mperformance parts onto the new ride (to enhance the look so it stands out from the ordinary ones) ?

Last edited by bobblehead; 03-29-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by bobblehead
any thoughts/plan of putting some Mperformance parts onto the new ride (to enhance the look so it stands out from the ordinary ones) ?
No M performance parts planned. Maybe a rear spoiler that is just a bit more aggressive than the stock one. I like the sleeper nature of the car plus it’s a lease so not doing too much to it.
the residual and lower MF help this car be $300 less a month than my E63 with the same sticker.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:21 PM

2018 AMG E63S

No M performance parts planned. Maybe a rear spoiler that is just a bit more aggressive than the stock one. I like the sleeper nature of the car plus it’s a lease so not doing too much to it.
the residual and lower MF help this car be $300 less a month than my E63 with the same sticker.
I think spacers (assuming they're available) would make for a cheap and incredibly effective mod. It could do with being an inch or so lower, too, but I suspect BMW consciously left that for the CP that'll no doubt land in a year or so.

In your shoes, I'd do those two mods, some coding (again, this assumes the car is supported already) and probably a JB4 and call it good--all four can be trivially removed/undone if the lease aspect is a concern.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:05 PM

I think spacers (assuming they're available) would make for a cheap and incredibly effective mod. It could do with being an inch or so lower, too, but I suspect BMW consciously left that for the CP that'll no doubt land in a year or so.

In your shoes, I'd do those two mods, some coding (again, this assumes the car is supported already) and probably a JB4 and call it good--all four can be trivially removed/undone if the lease aspect is a concern.
I agree with spacers but what do you mean by coding and JB4?
Old 03-29-2018, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Great car/review. Beautiful interior and it’s great BMW gets the tech better.

Looks like the Alpina B5 taught M some new (old) handling and performance manners.

I like understated, but once a car gets my attention I want to see serious bits. That said that CP might do the trick.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:23 PM

2018 AMG E63S

I agree with spacers but what do you mean by coding and JB4?
Coding is the (rather excessively technical) word used to describe a process in which you can activate features on your car that were otherwise disabled for compliance or regional/locale reasons, e.g. BMW's magic headlights that can create a cone of darkness around oncoming traffic to prevent the car's driver from being blinded all whilst leaving the high-beams fully engaged everywhere else. That's one example feature that, for my F06 M6 GCs was physically on the car but disabled due to US car-lighting legislation presumably established back in the dark ages [pun intended] that I was able to turn back on. The tool is known as E-Sys. Depending on the car and the level of legislation-hobbling the poor thing has undergone before making it here, there can be extremely appealing features that can be relatively trivially enabled.

The JB4 is the BurgerTuning piggyback device that attaches to the engine--not unlike a parasite but with far more positive results--and unleashes huge power gains. It's similar in terms of the end result to an ECU tune but can be installed and removed entirely by the likes of us (with just a tad of mechanical know-how) leaving little to no possible way of detecting its presence (I'm not saying it's impossible because it isn't but it's a heck of a lot more difficult than detecting an ECU tune). The gains achieved using this device are staggering, typically measuring in the 100+ wheel-hp and torque range. Piggybacks like this are often frowned upon (in some cases, for good reason) but having tuned 8 BMWs, 6 of which were M-cars, this little box produced by far the best end result (without taking a more Frankenstein approach I mean that involves upgraded turbos and the like).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F90 M5 vs E63s