Sponsored by:

Thoughts after hitting 1,000 miles...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
19 RR SVR, 19 E63S, 18 911 Turbo S
Thoughts after hitting 1,000 miles...

Exhaust notes are definitely more synthesized on the W213 vs W212, but I like it better. Definitely louder than the W212.

In Sport+ the vehicle definitely feels a little bit more squirrely and less planted under full throttle than my W212, I believe this is by design and that the MB systems should work magic here, but I won't test this fully until I get it on a track.

Anyone know how do you toggle between paddle shifters than back to automatic?

Finally…man, MB really needs to turn off things like active brake assist when you toggle into Sport/Sport+ mode. This almost caused an accident yesterday under tight merging conditions.

Vehicle is everything I expected it to be and a bargain for what was paid. Believe it or not, I am still leaning towards my range as the better daily driver, but I think I just got accustom to the space in that vehicle. I felt like I was getting into a go-cart hopping into an E63 again.

Anyone else join the 1k mile club yet? Thoughts?

Last edited by amgcb; 12-14-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S
Cool man! Glad you're digging it. I'm with you on the squirelly thing...it's only for half an instant, but I know what you mean. My initial thought is that it has to with the large amount of torque and the variable awd figuring out as quickly as it can where to deploy effectively. I think overall the chassis feels much better on this iteration of the e63 and is confidence inspiring, even though it's a pig of a car at 4500 lbs.

....hold the right paddle for a bit. Will put car back in auto mode.
The following users liked this post:
amgcb (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
-Car is a pig in terms of weight- have a c300 loaner today from the dealer and you can feel a huge difference in weight.

-At times the car would "slip", I wasn't sure if it was the transmission or wheels spinning. My front tires are bald up front after 8k miles- so I guess it was the massive torque.

-Active brake assist is very dangerous and I agree they should remove it while in Race or Sport plus mode.

-The ride is very harsh even in comfort mode

-The front doors don't stay open due to bad hinge design

Other than that this car is a "Beast". Really have enjoyed my driving experience with it so far especially after my tune.

-
Old 12-14-2018, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by amgcb
<snip>... Finally…man, MB really needs to turn off things like active brake assist when you toggle into Sport/Sport+ mode. This almost caused an accident yesterday under tight merging conditions.
Yeah, has taken some getting used to. Have adapted my driving style to give a bit more room. The thing that kept triggering it for me was significant closing speed between me and the vehicle in front. Have stopped lane slaloming as much as I use to. Very tempting given the great acceleration of the car - see a gap, basically teleport into it at warp speed.

Had a couple close calls caused by the in-car nannies. Guess you can't call them anti-collision, or collision avoidance, in those scenarios - more like pro-collision, or collision assist.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
Originally Posted by E634Me
Yeah, has taken some getting used to. Have adapted my driving style to give a bit more room. The thing that kept triggering it for me was significant closing speed between me and the vehicle in front. Have stopped lane slaloming as much as I use to. Very tempting given the great acceleration of the car - see a gap, basically teleport into it at warp speed.

Had a couple close calls caused by the in-car nannies. Guess you can't call them anti-collision, or collision avoidance, in those scenarios - more like pro-collision, or collision assist.
You can manually turn it off in the settings. However it defaults back to the "on" position once you re-start the car again. I'm just wondering would happen legally if the car the slammed on the brakes with you fully in control and you got rear ended.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Similar thoughts, love it other than ride quality which is pretty atrocious on poor UK B roads.

Absolutely lovely on smooth tarmac, horrific driving around town.

I’m currently trying to find 19” wheels and winter tyres to see if that will improve things.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 613 Likes on 418 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by 2020
-Car is a pig in terms of weight- have a c300 loaner today from the dealer and you can feel a huge difference in weight.

-At times the car would "slip", I wasn't sure if it was the transmission or wheels spinning. My front tires are bald up front after 8k miles- so I guess it was the massive torque.

-Active brake assist is very dangerous and I agree they should remove it while in Race or Sport plus mode.

-The ride is very harsh even in comfort mode

-The front doors don't stay open due to bad hinge design

Other than that this car is a "Beast". Really have enjoyed my driving experience with it so far especially after my tune.

-
Later builds have a revised hinge design. Get your dealer to replace the hinges.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
Coming from a C63s the E63s ride is much more smooth!