Sponsored by:

New AMG E63s Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 02:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
W213
New AMG E63s Owner

First time Mercedes owner, happy to own an AMG after I decided I wanted one eventually... 25 years ago. This is a full spec/all major options 2018 E63s 4Matic with 10k miles. One owner Los Angeles car.

Arriving home
I'm grateful to this community for helping me confirm some of the car's features and options. There were a few packages on the window sticker and build sheet that didn't list the individual features and I couldn't find details online. For example, the performance exhaust was not itemized anywhere, nor were the ceramic brakes, but both are equipped. [Edit: standard brakes]

I am coming from a 2010 CTSV and I really enjoy the authority of the AWD. Both have tremendous power, but the AMG torque is tremendous and it's all-around more aggressive. One thing I really appreciate is that the AMG preserves and even improves upon the road feel that I've enjoyed in the V. I test drove an F90 M5 as I was making my purchase decision, and I was shocked by how robotic and insulated BMW has allowed their flagship driving experience to become. The AMG was love at first drive.

What a joy to be here. I look forward to learning more and contributing where I can. The Comand suite is a bit overwhelming right now; I'm sure I'll grow into it. Any veteran tips on maximizing the owner and driver experience? (links to other threads or search keywords welcome)

Cheers,
DocHawk in San Diego

Last edited by DocHawk; 04-06-2020 at 11:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DocHawk:
elnos (04-07-2020), HappE63s (04-08-2020), imack (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 08:11 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Too many
congratulations , you will love the car
though from the pic , these look like steel brakes not carbon ceramic
Old 04-05-2020, 09:43 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Mercedes-AMG E 63 S 4MATIC+ 2018
Congrats ! But like pghc63 just said, no carbon ceramic brakes on that car !
Old 04-05-2020, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Trek Bike
Congrats and welcome aboard.
Search for VIN decoder - useful tool to find the options...
Old 04-05-2020, 12:04 PM

W213
Thanks all. I believe the VIN decoder linked on this site is where I actually found the brakes listed. I'll re-check where I got that; perhaps it was for one of the other cars in my short list and I confused them. Obviously what's on the car is what it has - thanks for ID'ing visually.

Paid $81,200 including transport/home delivery. It was the lowest price I found by 8K for a clean title car.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,286 Likes on 2,042 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Congrats on your new whip! Enjoy in good health...

You can post the VIN and we can confirm options if you like. The car has steel rotors as others have pointed out. It's easy to see as CCB caliper covers are always painted in gold. For the performance exhaust, you should have a button on the center console. Please see pics for reference...

Old 04-05-2020, 01:47 PM

W213
I did verify the exhaust before purchase; it was one of my must-haves, whereas the brakes were only a nice-if-included preference for me. Indeed - because they were not of primary importance to me in my decision, I misremembered the brake spec on WDDZF8KB9JA217115 for sale at Drive-a-Dream as my car. That car was on my shortlist of cars I was choosing from, but ultimately its Lemon branded title put it down the list. I don't mind a buyback because lemon laws are so ridiculous, but the price should reflect it (your resale value will certainly reflect it, after all). Definitely not paying more for a Lemon title than a similar car with a clean title.

Thanks all, today is Sunday Drive day with my new ride! Headed for the mountain roads...

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2020, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 567 Likes on 391 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Congrats,

Greeting from fellow San Diego E63s owner (North County).

We'll have to get together after the CV-19 business is over and grab some coffee or plan a drive out to Mt. Palomar

Sadly the speed limit there is now 35 MPH from top to bottom but one can still have good fun there . . .
Old 04-05-2020, 11:55 PM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
Doc, I hope to be following your switch from CTS-V to W213 E63S, IF my car actually gets produced AND I actually get to take ED at some point in the future. I had a short test drive in a W213 a back in Feb but it wasn't enough for me to make a good comparison between it and my stock 6M CTS-V Coupe so I'm very interested in your thoughts about the car so far. Lord knows I need to live vicariously through this forum for the time being.

Happy driving.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:39 AM

W213
Originally Posted by E634Me
We'll have to get together after the CV-19 business is over and grab some coffee or plan a drive out to Mt. Palomar
Sadly the speed limit there is now 35 MPH from top to bottom but one can still have good fun there . . .
You're on! Sunrise Highway from Julian to the 8 is also a delight, and you can get to 65 in many places. Either way, it sounds like a good day.
The following users liked this post:
AMG RB (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 01:01 AM

W213
Originally Posted by AMG RB
Doc, I hope to be following your switch from CTS-V to W213 E63S, IF my car actually gets produced AND I actually get to take ED at some point in the future. I had a short test drive in a W213 a back in Feb but it wasn't enough for me to make a good comparison between it and my stock 6M CTS-V Coupe so I'm very interested in your thoughts about the car so far. Lord knows I need to live vicariously through this forum for the time being.
I have deeply enjoyed my V. As I mentioned earlier, the road feel and attitude communication is exquisite in the E63S. Everything most performance-oriented V owners like about the V's handling and power, I would say the AMG simply has MORE of all that, in spades. Better nannies that are less intrusive, better road feel, better steering input - specifically less laziness with precise twitches in Sport+ mode, and of course, much much more power. Traction control would often kick in on the V in places where the 4Matic simply gobbled up the road and blissfully propelled me towards triple digit speed at a pace that felt much more like my buddy's 458 Spider than my V. I cannot overstate this enough... it's much faster in the real world, simply from the traction available for acceleration, let alone torque.

I have been a track racer in multiple platforms over two decades, and a season champion once upon a time. I put the AMG in race mode tonight on what I assure everyone was a closed circuit, and explored the boundaries of traction and control. The AMG gleefully allowed me to step the rear out with throttle, but even in race mode it is very difficult to get the rear to rotate on trail braking - it tends towards understeer when the front tires are loaded up, which is quite a good thing as the average driver has a very hard time recovering from lift-off oversteer. Overall, it has better manners but *even more* visceral driver feel than the V. Again... everything I liked about the V, is here and better in the AMG.

The one area in which the two are frankly not comparable are electronics and luxury appointments. The AMG is like a Star Trek spaceship next to the Cadillac product. The V is not cheap-feeling by any means, and I think it represents the pinnacle of American refinement and luxury quite well. The interior is "nice" and I mean that in every sense of the word. The AMG is simply not a fair comparison. Better materials, better aesthetics, better fit and finish, better integration, better touch and feel, better lines, higher design aspirations. As for the electronics suites, the Comand system is completely out of Cadillac's Infotainment league, in power and capability, execution, and interface.

I went out for take-out sushi tonight with my wife. We got thumbs up everywhere we went, just driving along - from rice burners, pickup trucks, a BMW, and even some pedestrians! It felt nice to be noticed; I am surprised how many people can pick out the car as something special, even at night.

I hope your car gets built very soon! Although... a European drive would probably be pretty anticlimactic during Covid19.
Doc

Last edited by DocHawk; 04-06-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:27 PM

Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts
E63S 4MATIC 213
well done buddy enjoy
Old 04-06-2020, 04:56 PM

Now I'm almost sorry I asked Doc. Thanks for the narrative and I'm somewhat relieved to hear how the AMG exceeded the V; not that I had any doubts; well maybe one, the sheer power delivery and sound aspects. Also, seeing the V drive off on the transporter later this week will not be as regretful an event as I was imagining. If in fact my car gets built and I can take ED I'm hoping it will be in a much revived and just as beautiful Europe.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
M5 Compeition
To the OP, regarding the F90 M5, did you test drive an M5 with the Competition Package that gets 617 HP?

Old 04-06-2020, 11:23 PM

W213
Originally Posted by Greer
To the OP, regarding the F90 M5, did you test drive an M5 with the Competition Package that gets 617 HP?
Yep. I had high hopes, and was shockingly disappointed. The nail in the coffin was when the right front severely tramlined on a pavement seam on the highway and I couldn't feel what was happening through the vague electronic steering and oddly harsh-yet-insulated seat feel.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:05 AM

OBTW Doc, you should definitely look into getting one of RW Carbon's CF front lips for your ride.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...front-lip.html
Old 03-28-2024, 07:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
1993 300SL-24, 2009 CLK350, 2018 SLC43 AMG, 2018 AMG E63 S wagon
@DocHawk What's your VIN? I'm building a directory of AMG Wagon VINs... W212 to start. Just got my 2018 delivered. Is there still a live link to the selling party's ad for your car?