Sponsored by:

2018 E43 to sound like C43 with Performance Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 BMW 535i
2018 E43 to sound like C43 with Performance Exhaust

Hi guys. I very recently purchased a 2018 E43. Love the car. Love love love it. But I'm missing the Performance Exhaust that comes with C43. I test drove C43 a few years ago and loved the performance exhaust on it. If I recall correctly, It didn't sound too loud or dull and loved the pops. I'm looking for a similar exhaust on E43. C43 exhaust costs extra 1,500 so hoping I can find something similar in the price range. I am new to this exhaust world and this E43 is my first AMG and I love it. I live in NJ and if there is a local shop that can get me the exhaust would be great :-).
Also, I have read it but would still like to confirm that installing a 3rd party exhaust system won't void the warranty?

Much appreciated.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by sk_nj
Hi guys. I very recently purchased a 2018 E43. Love the car. Love love love it. But I'm missing the Performance Exhaust that comes with C43. I test drove C43 a few years ago and loved the performance exhaust on it. If I recall correctly, It didn't sound too loud or dull and loved the pops. I'm looking for a similar exhaust on E43. C43 exhaust costs extra 1,500 so hoping I can find something similar in the price range. I am new to this exhaust world and this E43 is my first AMG and I love it. I live in NJ and if there is a local shop that can get me the exhaust would be great :-).
Also, I have read it but would still like to confirm that installing a 3rd party exhaust system won't void the warranty?

Much appreciated.
The renntech HHT improves exhaust sound particularly if you like more "farts"
Old 05-24-2021, 09:49 PM

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
I've got a CLS400 (same engine just different trans) and I'm trying to do some exhaust work to get my car to sound like your E43 or a C43. I know that the E43's didn't have the option of the performance exhaust that the C43 did, which does sound better than the regular E43 exhaust. If you do love the pops, you might as well get an ECU tune and ask for a burble tune which will get your car to pop and bang a whole lot. I also heard a resonator delete (the one closest to the mufflers) can bring out more burbles, as the E43 does produce burbles but nowhere near the amount of the C43 with performance exhaust. Personally, I would start with trying and doing a resonator delete if you really want the burbles without tuning your vehicle. Then I would try to get my hands on C43 performance exhaust mufflers, and then going on from there. There is a thread where a C400 owner deleted both resonators, and replaced his C400 mufflers with C43 mufflers (not sure if performance exhaust mufflers), and he says it sounds just like a C43 (no sound clips unfortunately): https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...or-delete.html

Old 05-26-2021, 07:37 PM

2011 BMW 535i
Originally Posted by c4004matic
The renntech HHT improves exhaust sound particularly if you like more "farts"
Thx. Do you know how much it ends up costing? Am I dreaming thinking that I can get a good exhaust around the same cost as getting a performance Exhaust on C43?
Old 05-26-2021, 07:45 PM

2011 BMW 535i
Originally Posted by Idklol69
I've got a CLS400 (same engine just different trans) and I'm trying to do some exhaust work to get my car to sound like your E43 or a C43. I know that the E43's didn't have the option of the performance exhaust that the C43 did, which does sound better than the regular E43 exhaust. If you do love the pops, you might as well get an ECU tune and ask for a burble tune which will get your car to pop and bang a whole lot. I also heard a resonator delete (the one closest to the mufflers) can bring out more burbles, as the E43 does produce burbles but nowhere near the amount of the C43 with performance exhaust. Personally, I would start with trying and doing a resonator delete if you really want the burbles without tuning your vehicle. Then I would try to get my hands on C43 performance exhaust mufflers, and then going on from there. There is a thread where a C400 owner deleted both resonators, and replaced his C400 mufflers with C43 mufflers (not sure if performance exhaust mufflers), and he says it sounds just like a C43 (no sound clips unfortunately): https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...or-delete.html
You want to make your C400 sound like my E43? Don't get me wrong, E43 has some exhaust sound it you can't tell if its a performance car when standing at all. When I drive in sports+ then it sounds much better. I can get it to pop in sports+ b/w 2nd and 3rd gears but you can hear it like barely. I really don't want super loud exhaust and I thought C43 with PE has a very good balance for my taste and it does pop very nicely as well. Do you know if deleting the resonator voids the warranty? Thx for the link. I'll check it out. Off to check out some youtube videos to see if there are some E43 vids with Resonator deleted and also if there are any with ECU tune.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Thx. Do you know how much it ends up costing? Am I dreaming thinking that I can get a good exhaust around the same cost as getting a performance Exhaust on C43?
The HHT is 2k. Its pricey but it does provide a noticeable power boost.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:58 PM

CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
You want to make your C400 sound like my E43? Don't get me wrong, E43 has some exhaust sound it you can't tell if its a performance car when standing at all. When I drive in sports+ then it sounds much better. I can get it to pop in sports+ b/w 2nd and 3rd gears but you can hear it like barely. I really don't want super loud exhaust and I thought C43 with PE has a very good balance for my taste and it does pop very nicely as well. Do you know if deleting the resonator voids the warranty? Thx for the link. I'll check it out. Off to check out some youtube videos to see if there are some E43 vids with Resonator deleted and also if there are any with ECU tune.
CLS400* and yes. If you knew how quiet my car is you would understand lol. You don't even hear the exhaust under full throttle, you just hear the engine working hard. I personally hate loud V6's and think they sound bad, but I just want a bit more sound. I want it to be quiet when I'm cruising or at a stop, no drone. I also plan to delete the secondary cat so it will add more sound (maybe you should try this for more sound)? I couldn't find any E43 videos with a resonator delete or anything, the car itself is like mine in terms of it being rare and not a lot of information in regards to modifications on the internet. You'd have to check with your dealer if deleting your resonator voids your warranty. I would personally go for the secondary cat as it's closer to the mufflers, I heard the doing the resonator could cause drone and I'm not sure if you'd want that.

There is one video of these German guys who did a stage 1 tune with burbles on an E43 and the pops 4:49 and onward:

If you are able to find C43 performance mufflers, they have a valve inside the mufflers themselves, so you could delete your mufflers and install those and permanently keep the valves open, whereas the E43 has no valves in its exhaust. Another difference between the E43 exhaust and C43 performance exhaust is that the E43 from the first resonator is a single pipe back, whereas the on the C43 performance exhaust it is a dual pipe from the first resonator back. This post here is a retrofit of the C43 performance exhaust to this user's C43 which did not come with the performance exhaust: https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-complete.html

The layout of the C43 non performance exhaust and the E43 is identical as both are a single pipe back from the first resonator.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:33 AM

2011 BMW 535i
Ok so I did some research and also visited my local Merc dealer to find out if doing anything to exhaust would void the warranty. According to them, it will not void the warranty but if there is any issue that relates to Exhaust will not be covered under warranty. They also recommended to try deleting Muffler and see if that sounds good. According to them, muffler delete shouldn't cause any issue or any light coming up on screen.

Plus I paid a visit to a local shop that install custom exhausts. Based on their conversation as well, they recommend that we can
1 - Either replace existing muffler with a performance muffler. They gave me a few options including (MagnaFlow, Remus,FlowMaster)
2 - Delete mufflers all together.

What do you guys think? Please note that I'm not looking for LOUDDD exhaust. More like how C43 performance exhaust sounds like as far as loudness goes. Don't have any desire to wake up the whole town when I drive by :-).

Thx
@Idklol69, you mentioned in your post that replace E43 muffler with C43 performance exhaust muffler is an option and seems like that's the correct direction so far.

Last edited by sk_nj; 06-02-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:41 AM

2011 BMW 535i
CLS400* and yes. If you knew how quiet my car is you would understand lol. You don't even hear the exhaust under full throttle, you just hear the engine working hard. I personally hate loud V6's and think they sound bad, but I just want a bit more sound. I want it to be quiet when I'm cruising or at a stop, no drone. I also plan to delete the secondary cat so it will add more sound (maybe you should try this for more sound)? I couldn't find any E43 videos with a resonator delete or anything, the car itself is like mine in terms of it being rare and not a lot of information in regards to modifications on the internet. You'd have to check with your dealer if deleting your resonator voids your warranty. I would personally go for the secondary cat as it's closer to the mufflers, I heard the doing the resonator could cause drone and I'm not sure if you'd want that.

There is one video of these German guys who did a stage 1 tune with burbles on an E43 and the pops 4:49 and onward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFicM9f9a4s&t=295s

If you are able to find C43 performance mufflers, they have a valve inside the mufflers themselves, so you could delete your mufflers and install those and permanently keep the valves open, whereas the E43 has no valves in its exhaust. Another difference between the E43 exhaust and C43 performance exhaust is that the E43 from the first resonator is a single pipe back, whereas the on the C43 performance exhaust it is a dual pipe from the first resonator back. This post here is a retrofit of the C43 performance exhaust to this user's C43 which did not come with the performance exhaust: https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-complete.html

The layout of the C43 non performance exhaust and the E43 is identical as both are a single pipe back from the first resonator.
Not sure how to mention someone in a post so just replying to your post. Wanted to let you know that based on my search, replacing mufflers with performance exhaust muffler seems to be the direction that is given to me from Merc deal and also the local shop (see my previous post for detail).
Old 06-02-2021, 11:45 AM

CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
A muffler delete is likely to cause drone and make your vehicle a lot louder. If you want to replace with performance mufflers then you’re going into it without knowing what it would sound like until the shop is done putting the mufflers on. In this case; I’d try to find C43 performance mufflers and permanently open the valves on those.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:58 AM

2011 BMW 535i
A muffler delete is likely to cause drone and make your vehicle a lot louder. If you want to replace with performance mufflers then you’re going into it without knowing what it would sound like until the shop is done putting the mufflers on. In this case; I’d try to find C43 performance mufflers and permanently open the valves on those.
Yep. I read the post you linked but in that post OP replaced the whole exhaust on his C43 with performance exhaust and was very happy. In our case, we'd be replacing only the mufflers so not sure if that will give the same results but hoping that it'd get me close enough :-). I'll try to see if I can find any youtube video with someone replacing E43 muffler with a performance muffler.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:06 PM
BCP

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
2014 E63s
Maybe try removing the resonator(s) instead of removing the mufflers.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:43 PM

2011 BMW 535i
Originally Posted by BCP
Maybe try removing the resonator(s) instead of removing the mufflers.
that'd cause drone.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:57 PM
BCP

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
2014 E63s
that'd cause drone.
I dont know about the 43 cars but it is a common method to increase exhaust volume on 63 cars and doesn't cause drone whereas removing the mufflers does.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:06 PM

2011 BMW 535i
Originally Posted by BCP
I dont know about the 43 cars but it is a common method to increase exhaust volume on 63 cars and doesn't cause drone whereas removing the mufflers does.
Interesting. I haven't found any thread here or on youtube where someone changed E43 muffler with C43 PE muffler. Would be great if someone has done it.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:25 PM

2011 BMW 535i
Been looking for C43 Performance exhaust muffler but recently got an offer for C63 muffler. What do you think? Would it work as good as C43 muffler or might be even better or might make it worse?
Old 06-02-2021, 11:29 PM

CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
Heard removing the resonator closest to the mufflers which is also called the secondary cat doesn't cause drone. If you remove both though then I'm pretty sure it will drone. Which C63 muffler is it, the W204 or W205(2015+), and does it come with tips? If it comes with tips, I believe the price will be up there because of the tips themselves.

The tips on the E43 are fake so if you do get the C63 mufflers you would have to either change the diffuser so the new tips show, or remove the tips so they feed into the current diffuser's fake tips.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:05 PM

2011 BMW 535i
Heard removing the resonator closest to the mufflers which is also called the secondary cat doesn't cause drone. If you remove both though then I'm pretty sure it will drone. Which C63 muffler is it, the W204 or W205(2015+), and does it come with tips? If it comes with tips, I believe the price will be up there because of the tips themselves.

The tips on the E43 are fake so if you do get the C63 mufflers you would have to either change the diffuser so the new tips show, or remove the tips so they feed into the current diffuser's fake tips.
Inquiring from seller. If its only muffler then I'm assuming its a simple replacement of current muller to C63 muffler?
Old 06-03-2021, 06:05 PM

2011 BMW 535i

2016 C63s, he has OEM tips and the OEM H-pipe as well.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:22 PM

CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
2016 C63s, he has OEM tips and the OEM H-pipe as well.
Are they from the C63s performance exhaust? Those also have valves in them. If you do buy those then you gotta look at a new diffuser is you want to show off the new tips. Otherwise if you don't want to do that, then ask if he'll sell without tips.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:46 PM

2011 BMW 535i
Are they from the C63s performance exhaust? Those also have valves in them. If you do buy those then you gotta look at a new diffuser is you want to show off the new tips. Otherwise if you don't want to do that, then ask if he'll sell without tips.
You mean something like this to fit the tips on my car?
I emailed him to find out if its a C63 performance muffler. Will get back as soon as I hear from him.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:52 PM

CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
You mean something like this to fit the tips on my car?
I emailed him to find out if its a C63 performance muffler. Will get back as soon as I hear from him.
Yes, but without the tips and stuff. How much are you paying for these mufflers if I may ask?
Old 06-03-2021, 10:33 PM

2011 BMW 535i
Yes, but without the tips and stuff. How much are you paying for these mufflers if I may ask?
I asked the price with and without tips. I'll pm you the info once I get the response.
BTW have you seen this video of the new exhaust system that should be available anytime soon? Sounds pretty good to me. Unfortunately its only in standing mode. Would love to see one with driving in S+.

Last edited by sk_nj; 06-03-2021 at 10:36 PM.