Parakeet chirping in my new E53 AMG Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 03:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 MB E53 AMG Cabriolet
Parakeet chirping in my new E53 AMG Cabriolet

Hi All, reposting from other forum.

I am seeking some advice on a day 1 new car purchase problem. Recurring squeaking/chirping when I drive my E53 AMG. Also the appropriate department at MB headquarters as my local dealership has still not resolved it and not given me a timeline for resolution. It has been over 6 months.

The day 1 chirping / squeaking sound is still there after 8 service visits to the local MB dealer, they think the brake pads in the rear need replacement with factory modified brake pads. It has been six months since day 1 I have bought this new car and I am frustrated that no time specific date has been given for these replacement pads. The chirping usually occurs after I drive for 20 minutes and enter turns. What’s frustrating is that it comes intermittently and so when the cleaned/replaced the brake pads the sound returned the same. I am skeptical the factory modified ones will work.

I thought it was the axle or frame as it sounds like a ball bearing needs to be oiled. Can anyone recommend a department at MB global head office that will help me on this situation? I feel I was sold a defective car. I think I have been patient for six months and really frustrated at this new purchase. Many thanks.

Old 05-06-2022, 06:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
That is a frustrating sound. It reminds me of the chirps I used to hear in my minivan years ago. The problem was coming from the latches from the third row seats. Can you fold the rear seat down and see if you still hear the noise? Is it also possible the sound is coming from the sunroof? Just trying to help troubleshoot.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:04 AM

Thanks for your idea. It’s definitely coming from the rear underside of the car. It’s like nails lightly scratching on the chalkboard to me. It’s a new car and it’s been six months I have had to listen to this every day.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,468 Likes on 968 Posts
No more MB:(
I hear Sparrow not Parakeet.

I wouldn't be quick to blame the brakes. Does it happen with top up or down only? Maybe in the roof mechanism. I would definitely return it to the dealer and not accept it until they get it fixed.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-08-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 693 Likes on 528 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
could it be the belt and pulleys under the hood need some adjustment (proper tensioning ?)
Old 05-06-2022, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 E53 SG
Does it make that noise while idling at standstill? If so, probably driving belt.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:35 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2019 E53 Cabrio, Lunar Blue. 2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by bobblehead
could it be the belt and pulleys under the hood need some adjustment (proper tensioning ?)
Does this motor still have belts?It has that new straight six with 48volt hybrid system . I have a squeakish noise from my soft top. My 911 had it too. I am resigned to the fact that cabriolet make noises. OP, you noise is different for sure. A wheel bearing? drive shaft? Obviously guessing. Stinks that dealer is no help, but if they can’t fix it after many tries, don’t you get a Lemon law deal?
Old 05-06-2022, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,468 Likes on 968 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by ddcha
Does it make that noise while idling at standstill? If so, probably driving belt.
OP states the parakeet chirps when the car takes turns. Likely in the roof would be my guess. Lots of moving parts.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-08-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 E53 SG
Originally Posted by places
OP states the parakeet chirps when the car takes turns. Likely in the roof would be my guess. Lots of moving parts.
Oh I missed that. Curious if he can replicate the noise with the engine off then. have someone give the car a shake from the outside while listening inside.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,518 Likes on 2,141 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
When OP mentioned the sound started happening 20 minutes in the drive, it seems like it starts when things start to warm up. On the other thread he originally posted he also mentioned the sound does not occur when it is raining.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:29 AM

Thanks. After 8 MB service visits to address this situation, one of which I had to leave my car there for three weeks, they told me I now need factory modified brake pads. No indication when it will arrive as of today. All I get it a thanks for your patience. Does it sound new to you? If anyone has a connection to MB headquarters would really appreciate the contact as my local
MB service center has not provided me any update. I drive this car everyday and this sound drive me nuts.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:43 AM

The chirping comes with roof both up and down and up. Also only when I drive.

Appreciate everyone’s viewpoints. Hopefully the YouTube videos are clear sounding enough.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by e53midS
Thanks. After 8 MB service visits to address this situation, one of which I had to leave my car there for three weeks, they told me I now need factory modified brake pads. No indication when it will arrive as of today. All I get it a thanks for your patience. Does it sound new to you? If anyone has a connection to MB headquarters would really appreciate the contact as my local
MB service center has not provided me any update. I drive this car everyday and this sound drive me nuts.
I guess in the mean time, top down exhaust on and sport+ to cover the sound until they fix it or if you don't want to do that you can always top up and then play some fine tunes.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 05-06-2022 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Removed the comment on playing music through Burmester to cover the sound in the mean time as OP does not have.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:58 AM

Old 05-06-2022, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 E53 SG
That definitely does not sound like the cabriolet top or a drive belt. I can understand why they suspected the brakes/rotors
Old 05-06-2022, 11:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Hmmm.... Is the sound the loudest the sharper you turn or is the sound the same volume as long as you start turning? Does the sound only occurs when you are not braking or does the opposite? As in if the sound is the loudest when braking? I could probably tell when you are braking from your videos but I want to confirm though.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm.... Is the sound the loudest the sharper you turn or is the sound the same volume as long as you start turning? Does the sound only occurs when you are not braking or does the opposite? As in if the sound is the loudest when braking? I could probably tell when you are braking from your videos but I want to confirm though.

Hi. Yes when the chirping starts, it will not necessarily be louder but more consistent when I turn. Only comes when I’m driving/coasting. Not when braking.

The chirps will come usually when I turn right. But now occasionally it comes when I’m going straight. Sometimes the chirps disappear. But everyday after driving 1 hour there will be chirps in some turns. As mentioned earlier, my local MB center have been told by MB headquarters that I need factory modified brake pads. Will have to see if that solves this.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 E53 SG
Hi. Yes when the chirping starts, it will not necessarily be louder but more consistent when I turn. Only comes when I’m driving/coasting. Not when braking.

The chirps will come usually when I turn right. But now occasionally it comes when I’m going straight. Sometimes the chirps disappear. But everyday after driving 1 hour there will be chirps in some turns. As mentioned earlier, my local MB center have been told by MB headquarters that I need factory modified brake pads. Will have to see if that solves this.
This implies that they think the brakes are dragging or touching the rotors even when brakes are not applied.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:49 PM

Received 352 Likes on 242 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Had this on an old car

So to me this sounds like when I had a landcruiser and when making turns, the rotor would contact a nub on the heat shield. They had a procedure to deal with it as well as the rear axle bearing moved slightly. So the rotating chirp makes sense for brakes, but I would also suspect a dry wheel bearing if it’s now doing it while strait ahead driving. You will know if it starts to hum as that may indicate something is intermittently out of round like a loose bearing. Is this something they have told you they have checked?
Old 05-06-2022, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Baltistyle
So to me this sounds like when I had a landcruiser and when making turns, the rotor would contact a nub on the heat shield. They had a procedure to deal with it as well as the rear axle bearing moved slightly. So the rotating chirp makes sense for brakes, but I would also suspect a dry wheel bearing if it’s now doing it while strait ahead driving. You will know if it starts to hum as that may indicate something is intermittently out of round like a loose bearing. Is this something they have told you they have checked?
Thanks. The last thing my local MB service told me was that I needed a factory modified brake pad to solve this. That they had checked the rear axle and bearings. I initially thought also something is dry in the wheel bearings. But they said no. They have sent my videos to MB headquarters. Your idea is probably in the ballpark. This has been my new car experience from buying the car new December 2021.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ddcha
This implies that they think the brakes are dragging or touching the rotors even when brakes are not applied.

Correct. Now the question is when will I may get the factory modified brake pads. No date given yet. I am trying to elevate to someone at MB headquarters.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Crap your description is on point as to my problem for months now. My noise is not as high pitched as yours, but when it occurs and the conditions you describe mimic mine exactly!!! Similar noises slightly lower-pitched is how I will describe mine. Mine also goes away in the wet. Also mine is loudest around 30-50mph on roads with sharp changes in pitch.

I had my front rotors and pads replaced, noise still remained
Felt has been practically applied to everything inside the car and still, the noise prevailed.
Just a few days ago, I heard a pop that sounded like I ran over a loose expansion joint on a bridge, after that the noise went away but a new louder much more disturbing noise replaced it. Rattling noises
Its back at the dealer after being there for 3 weeks.....lets see what happens
Old 05-06-2022, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Oh crap the E class loaner I have is squeaking like OPs car
Old 05-06-2022, 08:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Correct. Now the question is when will I may get the factory modified brake pads. No date given yet. I am trying to elevate to someone at MB headquarters.
I see, thanks for your update. Ya looks like both your service advisor and the previous mentioned every possible cause already now only one way to find out if the new brake pads works.

As for the elevating part: Did you have a chance to join the private lounge and ask your question there yet? If so, did you get a reply from them yet?
Old 05-06-2022, 08:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by kponti
Crap your description is on point as to my problem for months now. My noise is not as high pitched as yours, but when it occurs and the conditions you describe mimic mine exactly!!! Similar noises slightly lower-pitched is how I will describe mine. Mine also goes away in the wet. Also mine is loudest around 30-50mph on roads with sharp changes in pitch.

I had my front rotors and pads replaced, noise still remained
Felt has been practically applied to everything inside the car and still, the noise prevailed.
Just a few days ago, I heard a pop that sounded like I ran over a loose expansion joint on a bridge, after that the noise went away but a new louder much more disturbing noise replaced it. Rattling noises
Its back at the dealer after being there for 3 weeks.....lets see what happens
I am sorry to hear that, hopefully things work out in your favour.

Originally Posted by kponti
Oh crap the E class loaner I have is squeaking like OPs car
Oh what.... that sure is interesting, what year and model is the E-Class loaner?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Parakeet chirping in my new E53 AMG Cabriolet