W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W213 electronic diff inop: voltage converter issue???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W213 E63S
W213 electronic diff inop: voltage converter issue???

I have a '19 W213 E63S as a weekend driver that sits on a battery tender when not in use, always comes off the tender at full charge whenever I go to use it. New battery installed ~9mon ago. When I hit some high speeds on the highway (Stage 1 tune, have to have some fun every now and then), I have had the electronic differential inop message come up and car goes into limp mode, needing a turn off/on to allow me to drive normal again. I assume this happens because of the electric power pull in the electronic diff, but with it being a new battery I would also think this shouldn't happen. I was wondering, could the voltage converter in the front wheel well area be an issue here? New to this forum and would greatly appreciate some fellow owner insights!
Old 05-06-2024, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 517 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
I had this a few times during my ownership. Dealer simply reset and update software. Nothing was broken per se. It was just annoying.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:12 PM

W213 E63S
Originally Posted by bobblehead
I had this a few times during my ownership. Dealer simply reset and update software. Nothing was broken per se. It was just annoying.
Are they just resetting the code? Think I could do it with a code reader? Don't have one but have considered doing so. Anyway to prevent that code from popping in the first place?
Old 05-06-2024, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 517 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Originally Posted by 757provie
Are they just resetting the code? Think I could do it with a code reader? Don't have one but have considered doing so. Anyway to prevent that code from popping in the first place?
first time it was blamed on a 3 yrs old battery. Battery was replaced under warranty. Code cleared and reset. Afterwards, it happened again and dealer updated software and code cleared. The third time it happened, it disappeared on its own after shutting off the car. This happened a couple of times and i did not bother to bring to dealer as it would have cost me a few hundred $ for diagnostics. All the errors popped up during normal drive as i recalled
Old 05-06-2024, 08:05 PM

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
had mine replaced at 58000 miles, my fluid had metal shavings
Old 05-06-2024, 08:28 PM

W213 E63S
Originally Posted by bobblehead
first time it was blamed on a 3 yrs old battery. Battery was replaced under warranty. Code cleared and reset. Afterwards, it happened again and dealer updated software and code cleared. The third time it happened, it disappeared on its own after shutting off the car. This happened a couple of times and i did not bother to bring to dealer as it would have cost me a few hundred $ for diagnostics. All the errors popped up during normal drive as i recalled
Kinda the same for me. First time my tuner cleared code and did a diff service. Second time it cleared itself after shut off. Is this just quirks of the W213 with a tune? Thanks for your elaborations.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:29 PM

W213 E63S
Originally Posted by nyc_amg
had mine replaced at 58000 miles, my fluid had metal shavings
You had your diff replaced?
Old 05-06-2024, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 306 Likes on 225 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by 757provie
I have a '19 W213 E63S as a weekend driver that sits on a battery tender when not in use, always comes off the tender at full charge whenever I go to use it. New battery installed ~9mon ago. When I hit some high speeds on the highway (Stage 1 tune, have to have some fun every now and then), I have had the electronic differential inop message come up and car goes into limp mode, needing a turn off/on to allow me to drive normal again. I assume this happens because of the electric power pull in the electronic diff, but with it being a new battery I would also think this shouldn't happen. I was wondering, could the voltage converter in the front wheel well area be an issue here? New to this forum and would greatly appreciate some fellow owner insights!
If you're not getting aux battery alerts, it's probably ok.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I’ve had my 2018 for 4 years and on my second diff now , stage 2 with lots of race starts I think it eventually gave up , would feel sluggish in comfort from from start over time .
i got used donor , if I had more funds I’d get PTG built diff …
o yes I’ve tried changing diff actuator that did not work..