Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Bent Rim- What to do next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2006 | 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport

I was driving home from work. Not only did I hit a cabinet drawer (yes!) on the freeway, but I later hit a pot hole and bent my rim.

Here are the pics, and I'm going to need your help. Does anyone know how I can place my foglight back? Any experience or links to installation instructions?

As far as my rim, if I'm not losing any air from my tire, are there any negative things which could happen if I don't fix the rim?

If I do need to fix the rim, do you guys recommend any good shops (preferaby in northern California). Or do I need to replace the rim?

Thanks for your help...

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL
Old 03-24-2006 | 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
I'm out here in the Northeast and I used Rimpro with excellent results.

I beleive they have a few locations and one out it in AZ or NV I think. www.rimpro.com

They ship back and forth as well. I would send them a pic and see what they think. I paid about $180.00 to straighten, refinish, and remount a tire on my monoblocks. Looks perfect.
Old 03-24-2006 | 03:03 PM

'05 C55 '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser '92 Jeep "drive over your ass" Wrangler
I just bent two wheels while driving over in Sonoma Co and hit a pothole right in front of railroad tracks, not a pretty sound. There's a company here in Sacramento called Precision Wheels that I've talked to. Depending on what needs to be done, the estimate ranges from $250-500 per wheel. They can either straighten and polish or straighten and send out to be re-clear-coated. The owner is BJ, number is 916-641-7454. If you don't want to bring it over here, he may be able to recommend someone in your area.
Old 03-24-2006 | 05:07 PM
Veteran: Marine Corp

s500 GL450 GL63 Z71XL Yukon 67 396 SS velle 68 Vert Camaro 69 RSSS Vert Camaro 75 Blazer
tbone,

there are places to get the rim fixed. it was about 3 years ago but i believe there is someone in san jose that can fix rims. i cant remember the name. im sure if you ask some wheel shops, they will have a recommendation for you.

good luck
angel
Old 03-25-2006 | 12:07 AM

2006 C230
wheel techniques in santa clara does a great job. Try them.
Old 03-26-2006 | 01:08 PM

s500 GL450 GL63 Z71XL Yukon 67 396 SS velle 68 Vert Camaro 69 RSSS Vert Camaro 75 Blazer
thats exactly who i was thinking of. wheel techniques.
Old 04-03-2006 | 02:47 AM

Formerly 2000 CLK430, 2001 S430

Tbone,
A suggestion if you haven't sought repairs or replacement. Your 2003 E500 I am assuming has full coverage with your auto insurance co. You may want to speak with your agent or claims department. A road hazard was on the road and unavoidable, it may have been moving/flying in your path. Depending on your deductible under Comprehensive, the insurance should extend coverage on all repairs related to the loss, lamp, valance (rock shield), rim and tire, less your comprehensive deductible ($50, $100, etc...). Any reputable insurance company will cover this loss. However some companies may not cover depending on your statement, they will ask, "Did you have time to avoid the obstacle?" Some may not cover aftermarket items. Coverage may vary state to state. However I am assuming you are in SF Bay Area, it should be covered.
Two ways your insurance will handle the claim. Inspect and/or send you to the shop and settle or if you already repaired because of a safety concern (like driving on a damage wheel, opening exposure of liability) reimburse you. Again depending on your comprehensive coverage and deductible.
Ways your Auto insurance rates will go up, inflations, fault losses, moving violations and frequency of claims.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2006 | 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by gman.too
Tbone,
A suggestion if you haven't sought repairs or replacement. Your 2003 E500 I am assuming has full coverage with your auto insurance co. You may want to speak with your agent or claims department. A road hazard was on the road and unavoidable, it may have been moving/flying in your path. Depending on your deductible under Comprehensive, the insurance should extend coverage on all repairs related to the loss, lamp, valance (rock shield), rim and tire, less your comprehensive deductible ($50, $100, etc...). Any reputable insurance company will cover this loss. However some companies may not cover depending on your statement, they will ask, "Did you have time to avoid the obstacle?" Some may not cover aftermarket items. Coverage may vary state to state. However I am assuming you are in SF Bay Area, it should be covered.
Two ways your insurance will handle the claim. Inspect and/or send you to the shop and settle or if you already repaired because of a safety concern (like driving on a damage wheel, opening exposure of liability) reimburse you. Again depending on your comprehensive coverage and deductible.
Ways your Auto insurance rates will go up, inflations, fault losses, moving violations and frequency of claims.

Good luck.
Thanks. I have AAA, so I doubt they'd give me a hard time if I file a claim, but I'm concerned that they'll raise my premium if I file the claim. My deductible is $500, a new rim is$700, so I'm not sure if it's worth the claim.

I am going to file a claim against the city of fresno for reimbursement. Not expecting anything out of it, but you never know
Old 04-04-2006 | 05:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
this really sucks man, I got your email last week, but didnt see this thread. Try to have the city cover some of the damage!
Old 04-07-2006 | 09:52 PM

ijust had remembered that about having the city cover the damages. there are hundreds of pot holes in the city right now and im sure one of them had caused your rim to get bent. it just takes a little time to have the city fork over the cash.

angel
Old 04-08-2006 | 07:27 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
Originally Posted by angelglo
thats exactly who i was thinking of. wheel techniques.

that's the best place I know of