CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

My Rear Dymags Are Falling Apart or Something!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
My Rear Dymags Are Falling Apart or Something!!!!!!!

I just thought I would post up a couple of pictures of my rear Dymags to see if anyone else has heard of or seen this problem with Dymags. As most of you know the wheels were bought new in February and I have put about 2500 miles (mostly road/street) on them. It appeares that were the spokes get bolted to the barel there must be some movement that is causeing th eCF to deteriorate. I am almost affraid to drive on them anymore becasue I know CF can suffer severe failure if the layers are compromised in this way.
Attached Thumbnails My Rear Dymags Are Falling Apart or Something!!!!!!!-photo.jpg1.jpg  

Last edited by jrcart; 09-02-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

More pics
Attached Thumbnails My Rear Dymags Are Falling Apart or Something!!!!!!!-photo.jpg2.jpg  
Old 09-02-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
11' R8 - 11' RR Sport
Reach out to Dynamag asap to get that taken care of..all that money for wheels and they better warranty that crap.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
don't know if you know about this, but check it out:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...s-quality.html
Old 09-02-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by jrcart
.....It appeares that were the spokes get bolted to the barel there must be some movement that is causeing th eCF to deteriorate. I am almost affraid to drive on them anymore becasue I know CF can suffer severe failure if the layers are compromised in this way.
That's rather disturbing to read about - that is completely unacceptable (especially given the price of those rims).
What you described is the type of thing that would only be expected of e-bay knock-off crap.

Hold Dynamag's feet to the fire and good luck with getting this resolved.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
if you dont feel safe driving on them you can just sell em to me

wait... dont you have like a 11 inch rim in the back?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Jim,

Be careful buddy, and thank god you found the problem.
Was the car driving strange, did you feel something..?

MachC5
Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MACHC5
Jim,

Be careful buddy, and thank god you found the problem.
Was the car driving strange, did you feel something..?

MachC5
I did not feel anything, they feel normal. I first noticed it in a photo another MB World member posted a week or two back in the 211 E class section of this forum in a thread titles Pics from Hot Import Night Event...or something along those lines. I even made a coment at that time about the person that detailed my car needed to be shot because they left wax all over my wheels. It was not until this past Sunday when I was giving my car a good wash and wax that I discoverd that it was not wax but it was actual damge to my wheels.

I have contact Evosport because that is who I bought them from and they are already on it with Dymag. I hope Dymag does the right thing, because although I drive my car hard, Dymag markets these wheels to people just like me. I take very good car of my car and for this to happen with under 2500 miles on the wheels is a shame. I know by having these wheels on my car plus all the press from the magazine article has resulted in countless sets of wheels being sold. If they don't do the right thing they are going to regret the negative press I give them on every automotive board on the internet.

So before jumping to any conclusions I'm going to wait it out a few days and give them the benifit of the doubt that they will do the right thing....I'll keep you all posted.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Jim,
I'd contact the distributor Wheel Enhancemnt they are super about correcting wheel issues.

FWIW, Dymag is changing the alloy composition of the wheel centers to a higher aluminum content it avoid flexing as some owners have reported dronning noise at speed. I don't know if that's the cause of your wheel problem but it is a more direct route.

Keep us posted as I'm about to pull the trigger on the wheels.

Jimmy
Old 09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Damn that sucks! Ever hear of Weds Sport new full c/f wheels? They weigh 6lbs. I dont know how safe that can be.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Hope you can get this resolved with dymag jrcart.

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Damn that sucks! Ever hear of Weds Sport new full c/f wheels? They weigh 6lbs. I dont know how safe that can be.

6lb wheels
Old 09-02-2008, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
I first noticed it in a photo another MB World member posted a week or two back in the 211 E class section of this forum in a thread titles Pics from Hot Import Night Event...or something along those lines.
Interesting. I noticed it in those pics as well. I've never seen a set of Dymag's up close so I just assumed it was epoxy or something to help hold the spokes to the barrel. Hopefully Dymag will take care of you ASAP. For the money those rims cost there shouldn't be any issues!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

6 pounds...I guess I know what I'm buying if Dymag gives me the shaft on my current wheels.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Interesting this is happening only on the rears...only thing I can think is that during hard acceleration, the axle is trying to rip the spokes out of the barrel; thus causing the delamination of the carbon barrel. I wonder how much torque they tested these wheels with on a dyno during R&D ?? It's pretty clear that where the spokes meet the barrel is the weak point...seems that screw holding them together is either loose or not suffecient for the amount of power your are putting down. Running those MT's puts a HUGE amount of stress on your driveline, rear end, CV's etc.
Good luck getting them replaced, I see no reason why they wouldn't step up to the plate immediatly.....as you said, these wheels are very expensive and made/marketed for exactly how you are using them. If they don't step up, well, I'm sure they will get the appropriate response online. Here's hoping they stand behind their product....
Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
6 pounds...I guess I know what I'm buying if Dymag gives me the shaft on my current wheels.
Baller! I call dibs on the dymags! lol But in all seriousness they should stand behind their product. I would be very surprised if they didnt. You run your MT's on a different pair of rims right?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
You run your MT's on a different pair of rims right?
Jim - do you run the MT's for the drags on your stock rims ?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by LZH
Jim - do you run the MT's for the drags on your stock rims ?
Mickey doesn't make a 19" street drag tire.

My non engineering theory is the centers are flexing under side loading which would put the most stress on the fastner points as you have two forces working on the rear, side load and the torque under acceleration. I suspect that's why Dymag is reengineering the composition of the center.

Jimmy
Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
I'm no expert, but wheels containing carbon fiber outer sections are not used any racing, meaning they probably aren't as strong as full forged magnesium wheels. As far as that 6lb full-carbon wheel, how the heck can it support the weight of a car for any extended period of time
Old 09-03-2008, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LZH
Interesting this is happening only on the rears...only thing I can think is that during hard acceleration, the axle is trying to rip the spokes out of the barrel; thus causing the delamination of the carbon barrel. I wonder how much torque they tested these wheels with on a dyno during R&D ?? It's pretty clear that where the spokes meet the barrel is the weak point...seems that screw holding them together is either loose or not suffecient for the amount of power your are putting down. Running those MT's puts a HUGE amount of stress on your driveline, rear end, CV's etc.
Good luck getting them replaced, I see no reason why they wouldn't step up to the plate immediatly.....as you said, these wheels are very expensive and made/marketed for exactly how you are using them. If they don't step up, well, I'm sure they will get the appropriate response online. Here's hoping they stand behind their product....
The Mickey Thompsons are not being run on Dymag wheels, I had a set of 17" Forgelines made for the MT"s. The only tire I have run on the Dymags are the Corsas. As for the HP, I'm sure they are running these wheels on cars with more than 505 whp, in the grand scheme of things 505 hp is really not all that much. I have not even sprayed the car while the Dymags were on it.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Mickey doesn't make a 19" street drag tire.

My non engineering theory is the centers are flexing under side loading which would put the most stress on the fastner points as you have two forces working on the rear, side load and the torque under acceleration. I suspect that's why Dymag is reengineering the composition of the center.

Jimmy
Jim, this very same theory passed through my dense skull, however the more I thought about it, the less sence it makes. I am only seeing this failure on the rear wheels, I would assume the load/side load on the front wheels would be far greater under braking and/or cornering that on the rears, correct?? I'm no engineer, but I would think the braking as well as corning load on the front wheels would be at least twice as much as is delivered to the rear wheels under accleration.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Maybe the rears where made on a Monday or Friday....
Old 09-03-2008, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

VERY GOOD NEWS...I just opened up an e-mail from Brad at Evosport, it appears Dymag is going to stand behind their product. They are asking me to dis-mount the wheels and ship them to them, they are even providing a Fed-Ex number. Brad said something about them replacing them with a "newer compound" or something wheel???

I will keep everyone posted, but their speedy and positive responce is a very very good sign.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:31 PM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
thats great jr ... companies who make upscale products are proud of their work and will often stand behind it. dymag clearly makes a good quality product and they dont want to lose a potential future buyer of their fine products.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 746 Likes on 727 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG

and 12,000 pesos...
Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 PM
LZH
Banned

That's good news, Jim. I think Jimmy is correct, and on the same theory I was discussing...The torque combined with the side loading seems to be causing the spokes to flex under heavy loads. You're simply putting alot of power to the ground very effeciently - the weak link is where the power is transferred through the spokes, to the wheel itself. Good to know Dymag is standing behind their product.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Rear Dymags Are Falling Apart or Something!!!!!!!