Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Fibre optic cable only 1999 onwards?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Fibre optic cable only 1999 onwards?

Hi

Have just bought a 1998 E55 AMG Estate W210. It came with an Audio 30 & Bose sound, but no CD changer in the boot. I would like to fit a Mercedes auto changer, but when I look on Ebay, the only Mercedes CD changers for sale seem to require fibre optic cable connection. Not sure if my car car already wired or not with fibre optics. Can't easily see/feel any sign of such a cable. One guy advertising on Ebay is suggesting only Mercedes made from 1999 will have the fibre optics already fitted.

I've asked my local MB dealer for help & given them my VIN number but they were about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Kind regards

Chris
Old 06-20-2007, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Hmm... I don't believe yours is fibre. I think that started in 99'.. Easiest way to find out is to slide your radio out and verify the harnesses in the rear. I am willing to bet it isn't. HOw 'bout changing the radio all together and going iPod?

Originally Posted by E55 Estate Fan
Hi

Have just bought a 1998 E55 AMG Estate W210. It came with an Audio 30 & Bose sound, but no CD changer in the boot. I would like to fit a Mercedes auto changer, but when I look on Ebay, the only Mercedes CD changers for sale seem to require fibre optic cable connection. Not sure if my car car already wired or not with fibre optics. Can't easily see/feel any sign of such a cable. One guy advertising on Ebay is suggesting only Mercedes made from 1999 will have the fibre optics already fitted.

I've asked my local MB dealer for help & given them my VIN number but they were about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Kind regards

Chris
Old 06-20-2007, 02:21 PM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Thanks Idangeli, but I'm a bit old fashioned & would prefer to keep the car as standard/oem looking as possible, plus all my music is on CD; I'm yet to buy an ipod. Is the quality of sound between ipod & CD really the same? I've grown accustomed to listening to CDs on my Cyrus hifi at home, so perhaps a bit biased.
Regards
Chris
Old 06-20-2007, 02:23 PM

1996 S 420
Your car is definitely not fiber optic. FO for the E Class started in 1999. You should be able to find changers for your car on ebay.

Ray
www.perfectmarketaudio.com
Old 06-20-2007, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by E55 Estate Fan
Thanks Idangeli, but I'm a bit old fashioned & would prefer to keep the car as standard/oem looking as possible, plus all my music is on CD; I'm yet to buy an ipod. Is the quality of sound between ipod & CD really the same? I've grown accustomed to listening to CDs on my Cyrus hifi at home, so perhaps a bit biased.
Regards
Chris
Yeah, that would cause a bias. iPods can give you cd quality sound, but remember it is compressed music. You will pay a premium for a changer, but they are out ther. You'll need the cable, adapter and changer.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:06 PM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Thanks guys
Chris
Old 06-20-2007, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by ldangeli
iPods can give you cd quality sound, but remember it is compressed music.
...unless you import the music into iTunes as an AIF File, and store it on the iPod the same way. It takes up a lot more disc space that way, but it sounds every bit as good as the original CD.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by Skylaw
...unless you import the music into iTunes as an AIF File, and store it on the iPod the same way. It takes up a lot more disc space that way, but it sounds every bit as good as the original CD.
Better yet, lets put a turn table and a hi-fi system in the car! 8 Track BabY!'

Old 06-20-2007, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by ldangeli
Better yet, lets put a turn table and a hi-fi system in the car! 8 Track BabY!'

Your point being???

My statement supports the first part of what you said - that iPods can give CD quality sound. Regarding the second part of your statement, however, if one imports and records AIF files from the CD to the iPod (use the AIFF encoder in the "advanced" preferences), it is not compressed vice the original file on the CD. Check it out. Same size on the CD, computer hard drive, and iPod.

Turntables and 8-tracks?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Your point being???

My statement supports the first part of what you said - that iPods can give CD quality sound. Regarding the second part of your statement, however, if one imports and records AIF files from the CD to the iPod (use the AIFF encoder in the "advanced" preferences), it is not compressed vice the original file on the CD. Check it out. Same size on the CD, computer hard drive, and iPod.

Turntables and 8-tracks?
Bro, you need to chill a little, it was a poor attempt at humor I guess. I wasn't disagreeing with you in anyway..

"Where its at!
I got two turntables and a microphone"