Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by Suprfknman
Yes but I still have the itermittent issue that the system will stop or start working sometimes when I open or close the cradle cover.
Will
All I can suggest is to check that the puck is properly seated, and also check the wiring under the cradle compartment and floor of your console. Also check to see if anything is coming into contact with the "blue button" on the puck, when it shouldn't.

Other than that, I can't help. You have an incompatible phone. It may sometimes be screwy.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks,
Will
Old 06-08-2008, 11:54 PM

Lexus LS
Thanks for sharing that.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:43 PM

2004 clk55 AMG
Anything out there for the 2004 clk55 coupe?

Sky-

Thanks for taking all the time to help us bring our cars our of the stone age.

I've had a hard time figuring out what I can do to upgrade my 2004 clk55
to connect to my Iphone via bluetooth, and also the iPod part of it...

Im not sure if my car is pre-wired for phone (I have teleaid but not active, and a phone jack under a plastic cover in my center armrest)...and the command system (D2B)

most dealers/parts folks are NASTY about helping me out, so here I am back to the people for help...

Im looking for the definative answer so I can stop obsessing about it.

We just got my wife a 2008 r350 and the iPhone hooked up like charm and Im jealous!

thanks again!

You can email me at randallrosa{-at-}ca.rr.com

playaAMG
Old 07-14-2008, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PlayaAMG,

I answered on the other forum, but here it is so folks here won't have to search.

See the third post in this string, for integration of the cell phone portion of the iPhone. It will be necessary for you to check the phone bulletin for your car to determine if you have the necessary phone equipment; because you did not mention a V60 cradle being present in your car, you probably (but not certainly) do not have the rest. You will need to bring the car to a Bluetooth-capable configuration; the least expensive way would be through use of the new Universal PSE and the Cradle Eliminator, used in combination with the V60 Bluetooth puck in the referenced post.

See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...st2376586.html for integration of the mp3 player portion of the iPhone. You would need the D2B version of the Gateway 500.

See https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/252312-comand-version-type-ml320-2001-ipod-aux-install-questions.html for a fairly recent treatment on what you can expect from the D2B version of the Gateway 500 - skip the part about the MCS - it would hold for any non-text capable COMAND (the D2B COMAND unit you have is non-text capable).

Folks have reported success using the iPhone with iPod kits such as the MB/Apple kit and the Gateway 500 for music, and the OE MB handsfree equipment for cellular communication, phone book downloads, and the like.

If this doesn't tell you enough, please feel free to post more questions here. I'm sorry, but the sheer volume of questions I get keeps me from being able to respond to each requester in more detail. I have to rely on what I have already written, at least to build a framework for more.

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-14-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:04 PM

2004 clk55 AMG
Thanks for the info..thats great info,

As far as the iPod kit, it sounds like there isnt a OEM kit that will work- Ill check into the Gateway D2B.

re: bluetooth, I thought that I could use the "puck and tail" bluetooth puck since I have teleaid (not currently active) wired to the center armrest. Im curious what the little phone connector is for was well. I looked under the armrest, and there is wires going to the area.

I dont know how to check to see if I have the PSE 'guts' that I would need. I know the command system has a TEL button that has a screen 'phone not present'...but thats about it...is there a visual check somewhere in the car?

Thanks for the additional help!
PlayaAMG
Old 07-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Almost a Member!

S-500 4MATIC
Sky--
I have a 04 S500 w/v60 phone system and I have a few questions.
Since I do not have the V60 phone I was able to get my hands on a MB V600 phone thinking it would fit in the cradle. Opps :-) I also purchased a MB BLUETOOTH CRADLE REPLACER. Before getting it installed I wanted to see if there was anyway of getting the MB V600 phone to work as an option. Then I could do the (2) phone options since I do have a family plan.
Also I read in your post above regarding "Universal PSE" How could I find out if I need to update or even if it's needed.

Thank you.

Tom

Last edited by tomokeefe; 07-14-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tom,

Sorry about the delay in responding.

Regarding the "cradle eliminator" I do know it was designed to fit the Universal PSE - and I don't know if it will fit or be compatible with the CP-211 your car has.

In either case, it is designed to allow use of the V60 Bluetooth puck; it does not connect to the car's external antenna. It would not advance you over using the V60 puck designed for your car, except that (if it will work with the CP-211 - which is not a given) it may allow you to plug the phone into it using the phone's own antenna.

I believe the harness connections for the Universal PSE in the trunk may be different from those in your car; the Universal PSE was designed to replace the StarTac, TimePort, and Autosense PSEs, and the connectors are different from those for the CP-211 (though I have only the photos in the phone bulletins to compare, they seem very very different).

I know you want the plug-in phone; but the V60S is really the only option without perhaps replacing your entire fiber optic harness in the trunk. You also have the issues of D2B and MOST bus to be concerned with when you essentially downgrade your phone system to an earlier version (which is what you may be doing with the Universal PSE) - a giant warning flag.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MAJOR UPDATE FOR CARS WITH STARTAC, TIMEPORT, OR V60 PHONE SYSTEMS

I apologize for not being able to update posts 2 and 3 above, which would make this information more easily understood - but the forum only allows editing for a limited time after posting, and that time has long since expired. The information below discusses more on the new "Universal PSE" and the "Cradle Eliminator Cable," which provide greater flexibility in either updating StarTac or TimePort systems, or equipping cars having no phone system that were designed for the StarTac, TimePort, or V60 phone systems. It supplements both posts #2 and #3 above. It does not address cars having the CP-211 PSE/V60 phone system ('03 and '04 E-Class and the '04 S-Class). It also provides a simpler path to upgrade to the V60 Bluetooth puck in light of decreasing availability of replacement V60S cradles and Autosense PSEs - and importantly, provides information that those having "blue label" StarTac and TimePort PSEs may not have to replace them at all.

Whether your car has a phone system installed, or you are adding one for the first time, the necessary equipment is the same. The difference is that if you never had a phone system, your car will have to be “version coded” after the equipment is installed; and you may have to install brackets, and fuses. Version coding tells the fiber optic bus that the equipment is present; this is done by a dealer (and some independents) with a STAR diagnostics computer (a laptop with proprietary MB software). This post will treat vehicles as if they have a phone already installed, but you can also apply the information to equip a car that never had a phone system.

The Cradle Eliminator Cable and Bluetooth Puck Solution - Perhaps the Simplest

The newest and possibly least difficult solution for cars already having an older phone system installed is a straight Bluetooth solution using the new "Cradle Eliminator Cable" and possibly a new "Universal PSE" together with the V60 Bluetooth Puck. Contributor Vrodman tells us that there is now a V60 Cradle Eliminator Cable PN Q682 0976 that sells for $160.... Vrodman says "This cable requires no adapters or anything else. It is actually marketed to be used for the BT puck solution." Some vendor sites are indicating that the cradle eliminator cable will work with the Autosense PSE, and with StarTac and TimePort PSEs that have a "blue label" (the blue label indicated a particular update to the PSE had been done; I do not know more about that update). According to the sites, it is not necessary to purchase a "Universal" PSE" (referenced below) if you have one of these PSEs. It is still necessary to purchase a V60 Bluetooth puck to use with the cable for full Bluetooth (non plug-in) use. The Cradle Eliminator cable does not have a connection to the car's external antenna. It was intended for straight Bluetooth use. If you drive in a weak signal area, it may not be the best solution.

My old TimePort PSE had the "blue label" update; it was indicated by a blue marker pen slash across the original white label, and also a blue stick-on dot about 1/2 inch in diameter. I do not know if other markings were used.

The cradle eliminator cable appears to be nothing more than a cable with an RJ-45 phone connector on one end (that plugs into the console) and a Motorola V60 connector on the other (that plugs into the V60 Bluetooth puck).

Contributor Vrodman suggests that one may be able to plug a V60S handset directly into the cradle eliminator cable, instead of a BT puck - but plugging a V60S into it was not something Vrodman had tested. We would appreciate any feedback on whether this new "cradle eliminator" can be used successfully with a V60S phone. I woud expect that it can be.

Also note that in some Mercedes literature, the V60 puck is called the "V60 cradle adapter." They are one and the same, and not to be confused with the "Cradle Eliminator Cable."

The Universal PSE and When You Need It

The new "Universal PSE," PN Q682 0971, is designed for handsfree use in the '00 through '05 cars designed for the StarTac, TimePort or V60, and it sells for $208. Web sites marketing the "Universal PSE" indicate that it would replace non blue label StarTac and TimePort PSEs, or could be used in cars that never had a StarTac, TimePort, or V60 phone (Autosense PSE) installed. While I have no confirmation at this time, I believe that the Universal PSE can be used with a V60 cradle, instead of using a "cradle eliminator cable." However, if you use it with the V60 cradle, be sure to read the caveats below regarding cradle sizes and also the necessary connector adapters. The Universal PSE offers a handsfree upgrade path, either for straight Bluetooth applications or for MB-branded plug-in phones, for cars dating back to the '00 model year.

The V60S Cradle and Bluetooth Puck Solution

The principal advantage of this approach over the Cradle Eliminator Cable is that it provides a firm mounting point for the Bluetooth puck, which may suit drivers with flip-up phone compartments better than having the puck lie loose. For more on this solution, see post #2 in this string.

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-01-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NEWER MODELS WILL HAVE BLUETOOTH STANDARD

Most of this string has been directed toward MB models from 2007 and earlier, although the MHI system continued to be used in some models through 2008.

Beginning with the '08 C-Class, and continuing with the '09 CLS, SL, SLK, and S-Classes, Bluetooth will be standard equipment. The only thing you will need to add is a compatible phone.

You can see the link for covered models and compatible phones at http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/...tro_select.php (thanks for pointing that out, lkchris ). The S-Class was not on that list at the time of this writing, but the telematics tech at my dealership says it will have it - which sales confirmed. I could not get the M-Class link to open, it may still be under construction - but the link indicates the '08 M-Class may have Bluetooth as standard equipment.

You might check in on the link if periodically you're interested in or have another model.

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-31-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E 350 4matic wagon; '05 E 500 4matic sedan; '09 S550 4matic
I have a 2001 e320 with the original Timeport installation- hands free, voice activation, etc., but I don't have any upgrades to the original PSE that came new with the car in mid-2001. Is it possible that a car this old could have the "blue label/blue dot" PSE that is being referenced?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2008, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is possible; my '00 had a blue label StarTac PSE. The only way to tell is pull the PSE and check it.

The "blue label" units had a firmware update. I do not know how Mercedes went about applying the updates, but I do not believe it was done through the Nav CD reader, as with a COMAND update - I speculate, and that's all it is, that after some problem was encountered in the early StarTac and TimePort PSEs they issued some updated new ones for replacement, then applied the update to the units removed at some central location, and reinstalled them in different cars as they were brought in for the problem.

I say this because making the unit a "blue label" unit required removing it to apply the blue markings on the label and/or the blue dot (mine had both) - something I'm not sure MB would have done with just a CD update.

If that is the case, then the early cars that were brought in for the replacement could easily have "blue label" units. Those that were not, would not.

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-21-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:35 PM

08 CL 63, 15 S63 Edition 1
Bluetooth for CL 63

Sky,
I am new here. I just bought a 08 CL 63 and are trying to set up my phone LG VX8700 to the UHI-SN1704( the car system). I can pair them but when I look at the DEVICE INFO on my phone, the status is Disconnected. I have been trying for 2 days but can not get it to work. Would you please help.
Thanks in advance.
Hammy
Old 08-23-2008, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hammy, I am not familiar enough with specifics of either the '08 handsfree system or the LG phone you mention, to be of any help. Perhaps someone with a similar setup will be able to.

I have a suspicion it has to do with a phone setting; I can only suggest a careful read of your phone manual. Also: Did you enter the MB Bluetooth code into your handsfree system, to get it to look for a phone to pair?

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-23-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 PM

Sky,
Thank you very much for your quick response. I did enter the passcode (preset: 0000) to my mobile phone AND the MB bluetooth when pairing. Both devices found each other but when I checked the Device Info from my mobile phone the Status shows Disconnected. What exactly is MB bluetooth code? Is it defferent than the passcode?
Again, thanks
Hammy
Old 08-23-2008, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Hammy
Sky,
Thank you very much for your quick response. I did enter the passcode (preset: 0000) to my mobile phone AND the MB bluetooth when pairing. Both devices found each other but when I checked the Device Info from my mobile phone the Status shows Disconnected. What exactly is MB bluetooth code? Is it defferent than the passcode?
Again, thanks
Hammy
You want to put the Bluetooth puck in discover mode (press the logo for 3 seconds), not the phone. And when the phone asks for the passkey you give it the MB Bluetooth passkey, 62872.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
You want to put the Bluetooth puck in discover mode (press the logo for 3 seconds), not the phone. And when the phone asks for the passkey you give it the MB Bluetooth passkey, 62872.
I am sorry I am very new to these terms. Please educate me. What is Bluetooth Puck?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 AM

2015 ML350
Just to make sure that I got all this right before I start buying parts.

I have a 2005 SL so besides the BT puck, is this all that I need?
Vehicle core installation kit - BQ 682 0955
SL-Class vehicle completer kit - BQ 682 0916

Also how much will the two items above cost me?

TIA
Old 09-06-2008, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

vpr80,

That's what you need. Prices are set by whomever sells it to you - there are vendors other than the dealer. I suggest getting a dealer quote, and then Googling for others. One is at http://www.customcellular.com/Blueto.../untitled.html, but I do not have more bookmarked to give you.

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-06-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:38 AM

ML350(W164)
I applied bluetooth HFP B67875877 on my ML(W164) with Sonyericsson W980.
It can be paried but the bluetooth connection will be broken when I was still talking.Several minutes later,It will be connected again,but this situation happened again and again.Could somebody give me a hand??
Old 09-19-2008, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by JackyChen
I applied bluetooth HFP B67875877 on my ML(W164) with Sonyericsson W980.
It can be paried but the bluetooth connection will be broken when I was still talking.Several minutes later,It will be connected again,but this situation happened again and again.Could somebody give me a hand??
I guess you are not the same person as here:
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showpost....50&postcount=1

I've seen complaints about some of the Sony Ericsson phones having trouble to keep the BT connection alive but the person behind the link claimed it was the same with an iPhone and iPhone owners here have not complained.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:45 AM

2000 s500
Ok so I have a 200 s500 what do i need to make my iPhone work with it? I want ipod functions and phone functions to work. Thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by digitalnamo
Ok so I have a 200 s500 what do i need to make my iPhone work with it? I want ipod functions and phone functions to work. Thanks

Start at the beginning of this thread and read.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:58 AM

2000 s500
Maybe I should have said that in my first post. I have read the entire thread, but I am still unclear of how to setup my 2000 s500 to work with an iPhone using phone functions and ipod functions. Thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1) Install a Bluetooth setup using the information in posts 1 and 3 of the string. Unless you have a "blue label" StarTac PSE, you may want to use the new "Universal PSE" mentioned in the article. If you have no phone system at all, start with the Universal PSE. Then, use the "cradle eliminator" cable. If your car had no phone system before, you will need to have it version coded; if it had one, you will not. Locations of parts are in the phone bulletins referenced in the writeups. That will get you the phone function.

You will no doubt have more questions, but I ask you to pay particular attention to the writeups referenced; they are not a casual read, but they do answer most questions.

2) Install a Dension Gateway 500 for the music function. You will need a version for D2B. While you will not get song title readouts on COMAND or the instrument cluster, you can do song selection on your iPhone. See https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/194660-gateway-500-most-o-good-unit-poor-documentation.html for an installation in an '05 S500.

I have no experience yet with the new iPhone cradle just beginning to become available in the U.S. - it is probably best to stay up with it on the AWS site referenced in the writeups.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH