Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH

Old 02-18-2009, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
No. Bluetooth does not support SMS on COMAND; plug-in phones do.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 Sport
Just bought the part and installed it in the car. No blue light on the bluetooth adapter. Need help. Why isn't it working?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:09 PM

2003 E500 Sport
Should the blue light go on whether the car has been version coded yet or not?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 PM

C 230 Sport
I took my '06 C230 to the MB dealer to tell me what I needed to be able to use handsfree cell phone for my Iphone 3G. I was told that I need "the completer kit" and the "control unit kit". I asked for part numbers and they said they could not provide me with that info! What the ^*#@!!! They quoted me $1060 for the two kits plus 4 hours of labor on top of that.

My car is pre-wired and I already have the newest MB puck. I've looked thru this forum and am scratching my head with confusion. I'd like my husband to install it and then we can take it back and have the update done.. can someone break this down into caveman language on what I need. Possibly even part numbers and links??

Thanks!!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:27 AM

SL
I dont know if anyone had trouble pairing the Bluetooth modules.
But this link helped me

http://mercedes-benzbluetooth.blogspot.com/
Old 03-18-2009, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBMomma
I took my '06 C230 to the MB dealer to tell me what I needed to be able to use handsfree cell phone for my Iphone 3G. I was told that I need "the completer kit" and the "control unit kit". I asked for part numbers and they said they could not provide me with that info! What the ^*#@!!! They quoted me $1060 for the two kits plus 4 hours of labor on top of that.

My car is pre-wired and I already have the newest MB puck. I've looked thru this forum and am scratching my head with confusion. I'd like my husband to install it and then we can take it back and have the update done.. can someone break this down into caveman language on what I need. Possibly even part numbers and links??

Thanks!!
You could buy the parts from the dealer - then your husband could install it. You are probably aware that your puck is useless without the equipment needed to let it function.

There were many changes from the '05 to the '06 model, so I cannot tell you if the phone parts for the '05 will work well in the '06; I suspect that only brackets might be different.

You could contact another dealer for the part numbers; or try ebay, or Google on "Phone system C-Class" for some resellers.

Or, you could try iTronics, mObridge, or Argos kits.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Vrodman also tells us that there is now a V60 Cradle Eliminator Cable PN Q682 0976. It goes for $160.... Vrodman says "This cable requires no adapters or anything else. It is actually marketed to be used for the BT puck solution," and that one may be able to plug a V60S directly into it, instead of the BT puck - but plugging a V60S into it was not something Vrodman had tested. We would appreciate any feedback on whether this new "cradle eliminator" can be used successfully with a V60S phone. Also note that in some Mercedes literature, the V60 puck is called the "V60 cradle adapter." They are one and the same.
Has anybody tried this yet?

I have an 02 C32 AMG, all of the wiring, the COMAND with phone and the box in the trunk are already in the car. I have purchased a Cradle Eliminator Cable, and after finding out my sprint phone wouldnt connect to the V60 bluetooth puck anyway, I am considering buying a V60S phone with MBZ software. I already have a verizon account with an old phone I dont use (basically a $60/month alarm clock) so I could just activate the MBZ v60 on that account. Thoughts?

OK maybe the external antenna may not work, but the reception wouldnt be any worse than a cell phone in my pocket linked to a puck in the armrest anyway now would it... (common sense is a beast)
Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 PM

2001 E430, Obsidian Black w. Ash/Orion Grey, 195,000 mi.
Originally Posted by Panzerknacker
...my sprint phone wouldnt connect to the V60 bluetooth puck anyway, I am considering buying a V60S phone with MBZ software. I already have a verizon account with an old phone I dont use (basically a $60/month alarm clock) so I could just activate the MBZ v60 on that account. Thoughts?

OK maybe the external antenna may not work, ...
I went with the V60s in my '01 E430 and I am very pleased with it. You will need a V60s cradle though. The V60s phone won't fit in the V60 cradle. With the V60s cradle, your phone should work through the external antenna, which is a big plus, IMO. You can sell your puck on ebay if you're not going to use it. Also, search ebay for seller cellguy85 items. He sells V60s phones with MB software and V60s cradles.

Fred
Old 05-01-2009, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fred, Panzerknacker doesn't need a cradle at all. He bought the Cradle Eliminator cable, and it will plug directly into his phone. He is correct, he will not have an antenna connection.

You are exactly right, though about the need for the V60S cradle being needed for the V60S phone, and about getting better connectivity because of being connected to the car's external antenna with the V60S cradle.

Thanks for the source of V60S phones and cradles.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-02-2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Clarify that only the cradle has antenna connection; cradle eliminator does not
Old 05-01-2009, 07:45 PM

Fred, Panzerknacker doesn't need a cradle at all. He bought the Cradle Eliminator cable, and it will plug directly into his phone. He is correct, he will not have an antenna connection.

You are exactly right, though about the need for the V60S cradle being needed for the V60S phone, and about getting better connectivity because of being connected to the car's external antenna.

Thanks for the source of V60S phones and cradles.
That's right but I don't think the cradle eliminator cable has the connection to the antenna because it's designed mainly for the puck which doesn't use the antenna. And, with the cradle, it will be much easier to take the phone in and out of the car and it will stay securely clipped in place while in the car. I think he'd be better off selling the puck AND cable and getting a v60s cradle and v60s phone.
Fred
Old 05-01-2009, 08:14 PM

GL 350 Bluetec
Cellguy85 is exactly the person I am buying from.

I dont have a puck... I am going to try the v60s phone on the eliminator cable, he says if i doesnt work I can trade the cable out for a cradle. I dont care about antenna connection like I said I drive around with the phone in my pocket it cant be any worse in the armrest.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:29 PM

GL 350 Bluetec
Ok, so what am I missing here.

V60s phone on the cradle elimator cable. Phone has MBZ software. Orange phone cables in the trunk that connect to a box labeled "motorola" yet the car says "no phone"

Maybe my cables aren't connected correctly or I am still missing a part.

Any help? Pics of phone and trunk setup included.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM

V60s phone on the cradle elimator cable. Phone has MBZ software. Orange phone cables in the trunk that connect to a box labeled "motorola" yet the car says "no phone"

That doesn't look anything like the phone module in my E430. What year/model is your car? If you bought your parts from Keith Valentine, aka Cellguy85, call him on the phone. He'll be happy to trouble shoot your problem with you. His phone number is in all his ebay listings.

Fred
Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 AM

2006 C230 Sports Sedan with Comand MCS II
You could buy the parts from the dealer - then your husband could install it. You are probably aware that your puck is useless without the equipment needed to let it function.

There were many changes from the '05 to the '06 model, so I cannot tell you if the phone parts for the '05 will work well in the '06; I suspect that only brackets might be different.

You could contact another dealer for the part numbers; or try ebay, or Google on "Phone system C-Class" for some resellers.

Or, you could try iTronics, mObridge, or Argos kits.
Hello Skylaw,

I have purchased all the parts at the dealer and I am going to be ready to do the install of the phone kit this weekend, but I have to find a DIY or better instructions then the MB supplied one that you had on one of your posts or this link provided http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm. My car is a 2006 C230 W203 SS prewired for the phone as it has the stubby antenna in the back mounted on the glass. I would love to find a DIY or if you could please tell me what Figure 39 is in the PDF I downloaded. I am sorry I am just trying to get prepared. I have searched this forum now going on 3 weeks and yet to find the information needed. I also read this post throughly. I have the completer kit and core kit that I purchased from the dealer. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Figure 39 shows the false floor of the center console, with the MHI contact plate in place. The arrows show pressure points for snapping the contact plate into place, I believe.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree with fosmith; it is not the Autosense PSE that would normally be installed in your model year. It would be a good idea to review the information in posts # 2 and 3 above. The cradle eliminator works with Autosense and specific other "blue label" PSEs. I do not see the "blue label" or a blue sticker on yours. You may need a Universal PSE.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-06-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Figure 39 shows the false floor of the center console, with the MHI contact plate in place. The arrows show pressure points for snapping the contact plate into place, I believe.
I did see that, but the problem is that Figure 39 should be referencing some form of MOST configuration/diagram. Instead all it shows is where the contact plate snaps into place. The instructions do not make sense to me.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I see what you're talking about - it's a misprint (note that the document is labeled "Preliminary Draft"). The MOST ring is at figure 45 and is labeled "MOST ring configuration," and it must be version coded by the dealer or by an independent with a STAR diagnosis computer if there has never been a phone system installed.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 PM

I see what you're talking about - it's a misprint (note that the document is labeled "Preliminary Draft"). The MOST ring is at figure 45 and is labeled "MOST ring configuration," and it must be version coded by the dealer or by an independent with a STAR diagnosis computer if there has never been a phone system installed.
Does anyone know of or have a newer version of the document that they can send me?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The gentleman who did us all a tremendous service in posting those documents and keeping them available on his server has not updated them past the 2005 model year. For many vehicles, the 2006 model year was identical to the 2005.

You can solve your problem simply by inserting "figure 45" in each place "figure 39" appears. It's not that hard a concept.

Outside of that, your dealer has the newer documents. Maybe your telematics tech or shop chief will let you take a look.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 PM

The gentleman who did us all a tremendous service in posting those documents and keeping them available on his server has not updated them past the 2005 model year. For many vehicles, the 2006 model year was identical to the 2005.

You can solve your problem simply by inserting "figure 45" in each place "figure 39" appears. It's not that hard a concept.

Outside of that, your dealer has the newer documents. Maybe your telematics tech or shop chief will let you take a look.
Hello,

I realize it is not that hard. My thought was that something process wise could have majorly changed or been revised in an updated version of the document is all. Someone also could possibly have a new document that they could post.

Last edited by benzc230; 05-08-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 PM

'06 C280 4matic
Because you have prewiring, you need to check to see if you have the second stage of the equipment (you have already said you lack the third).
Perhaps the best and fastest way is to check for the presence of an MHI contact plate (see Fig. 45 at http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phon...LK%20Coupe.pdf for what the contact plate itself looks like). If you do have it, you have a handsfree system and only need to add the Bluetooth puck and a compatible phone (check the AWS site - http://www.wireless4mb.com/ - use the "connectivity options" tab) to complete the system. If you do not have the contact plate, you do not have the "handsfree option" and will need to add equipment mentioned above.
I just picked up a 2006 C280 4matic that has the MHI connector in it. My 5878 puck arrived (via ebay) today, but when pushing the blue MB button, I do not get the flashing blue lights -- IOW, the puck appears dead.

Is this an issue that I need to get "version coded" at my dealer, or is there any chance that I have the MHI contact plate, but am still missing another piece of the proverbial pie?

I appreciate all help and insight...

dave
Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your handsfree system would have already been version coded; there is no need to do that simply because you have added a Bluetooth puck.

The failure to get a blue light is indicative of lack of power to the puck - which could occur from a bad puck, or failure in the rest of your phone system. What indications do you get on screen and on your multifunction display when you select phone?

The lack of power could come from a fuse, or from some bad connection, or a bad component. Perhaps the multifunction display readouts and COMAND (or other HU) readouts will be helpful.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM

'06 C280 4matic
The HU (not COMMAND) tells me "No Phone" when I push the TEL button.

I pulled the fuse book from the interior fuse panel and am trying to track everything down now. To start, there was no 7.5A fuse installed in slot 16 in the trunk -- I put one in, but that wasn't it -- still no power to the phone. I'm hoping to look at the interior and engine compartment fuses later tonight (never would have guessed so many fuses just for the phone system...)

dave
Old 07-11-2009, 03:11 PM

'06 C280 4matic
Ok, I was missing fuse 16 in the trunk (now installed) and fuse 40 in the drivers area. Strange thing about fuse 40 is that it needs a funky fuse holder before I can install it -- I've never seen anything like it before and neither had the two car parts places I took it to (Advance Auto & Autozone). Both said it was a dealer part -- I hope to stop there this week.

Question and a concern, since it's highly likely that these fuses had never been installed in the vehicle, what are the chances that I have a connector but none of the rest of the parts?

I know all this stuff is in the trunk somewhere, but where/what should I be looking for? I'd hate to have gone through all this only to find out that I'm still missing $2k of parts...

Thanks,

dave

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH