Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E430, Obsidian Black w. Ash/Orion Grey, 195,000 mi.
Got my integrated car phone working!

Recently, after following the trail blazed by Skylaw in the OP , I upgraded the obsolete integrated cell phone in my 2001 E430. I now have a working phone that is fully integrated with the audio and steering wheel controls in my car and, when it is plugged in, uses the car's audio antenna.

I had to remove the original TimePort phone and cradle and get a new Mercedes V60s phone, a V60s cradle and cradle holder and a new PSE module for the trunk. All this (including the brand new Motorola MB compatible V60s phone) was supplied in a single kit that I bought from a vendor that is currently selling them on ebay for $575. The Mercedes dealer was no help with this and said it would cost me $3000 to retrofit the car to get the cell phone working.

The system only works, however, with the Motorola V60s phone, which is pretty basic, and Verizon is the only provider that can activate it. But that's ok because Verizon has the best network in my area and I don't need a phone that takes pictures or has a color screen.

Here's the link to the ebay listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-Motorol...d=p3286.c0.m14

The seller's name is Keith Valentine and he is awesome. He explained, in language I could understand, exactly what I had to do and how to do it before I even bought the kit. After I got it, he walked me through the installation and set up process over the phone. His phone number is on the ebay listing or you can call him with questions at 714-746-5930. He's a great guy and very knowledgable about our cars. With his help, this was a very easy project. As Keith says, "E class stands for 'easy to install'".

I also bought the voice recognition system which Keith is also selling as a complete kit on ebay for only $100 (slightly more if you want the E class stalk). The kit includes the VRM module, fiber optic cable, stalk, and photocopy of the user manual. This was super easy to install and is kind of fun to have in the car.

Keith also has the bluetooth upgrade kit for sale that will allow you to use any cell phone hands free with the car's integrated audio system. Check "Seller's other listings" on the above listing.

Anyway, my car is now fully functional with all the systems that were in the car when it first rolled out of the showroom! No more clunky, non functional TimePort phone taking up space in the arm rest. No more non functional buttons on the steering wheel and radio head. And, best of all, complete hands free dialing and talking all at the touch of a button. :-)

Thanks again Skylaw,
Fred
Old 10-14-2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by digitalnamo
Maybe I should have said that in my first post. I have read the entire thread, but I am still unclear of how to setup my 2000 s500 to work with an iPhone using phone functions and ipod functions. Thanks
This may be what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-Benz-Ph...d=p3911.c0.m14

Or at least call the guy's number in the listing. He should be able to tell you if you can do what you are seeking to acomplish. I bought the non-bluetooth system from this guy and he is a super source of information and very willing to answer any questions that you may have.

Fred
Old 10-19-2008, 12:11 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
SONY ERICSSON W580i PAIRED UP WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS

Originally Posted by fosmith
Recently, after following the trail blazed by Skylaw in the OP , I upgraded the obsolete integrated cell phone in my 2001 E430. I now have a working phone that is fully integrated with the audio and steering wheel controls in my car and, when it is plugged in, uses the car's audio antenna.

I had to remove the original TimePort phone and cradle and get a new Mercedes V60s phone, a V60s cradle and cradle holder and a new PSE module for the trunk. All this (including the brand new Motorola MB compatible V60s phone) was supplied in a single kit that I bought from a vendor that is currently selling them on ebay for $575. The Mercedes dealer was no help with this and said it would cost me $3000 to retrofit the car to get the cell phone working.

The system only works, however, with the Motorola V60s phone, which is pretty basic, and Verizon is the only provider that can activate it. But that's ok because Verizon has the best network in my area and I don't need a phone that takes pictures or has a color screen.

Here's the link to the ebay listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-Motorol...d=p3286.c0.m14

The seller's name is Keith Valentine and he is awesome. He explained, in language I could understand, exactly what I had to do and how to do it before I even bought the kit. After I got it, he walked me through the installation and set up process over the phone. His phone number is on the ebay listing or you can call him with questions at 714-746-5930. He's a great guy and very knowledgable about our cars. With his help, this was a very easy project. As Keith says, "E class stands for 'easy to install'".

I also bought the voice recognition system which Keith is also selling as a complete kit on ebay for only $100 (slightly more if you want the E class stalk). The kit includes the VRM module, fiber optic cable, stalk, and photocopy of the user manual. This was super easy to install and is kind of fun to have in the car.

Keith also has the bluetooth upgrade kit for sale that will allow you to use any cell phone hands free with the car's integrated audio system. Check "Seller's other listings" on the above listing.

Anyway, my car is now fully functional with all the systems that were in the car when it first rolled out of the showroom! No more clunky, non functional TimePort phone taking up space in the arm rest. No more non functional buttons on the steering wheel and radio head. And, best of all, complete hands free dialing and talking all at the touch of a button. :-)

Thanks again Skylaw,
Fred
The Sonny Ericsson W580i in the 2009 E550 pair up on the first try without any ports or craddles. If a call is made or received the radio goes off and the sound is carrier throught the speaker. The numbers called shows on the vehicle display. I have not had a chance to check out the additional features available available with the use of the cell phone. The cell phone pairs up automatically when I enter the vehicle.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by fosmith

Thanks again Skylaw,
Fred
You are welcome; we appreciate the feedback. Glad it worked out, and I am sure others who are as dismayed over dealer quotes for retrofit will appreciate the link you provided.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
hey so i've got a prewired '05 c230...i want to go with the MB puck...however i know i'd need the contact plate to connect the prewired system to the puck...however i've been told that there are other items i'd need and i cant seem to get a straight forward answer to this on the sites...probably cuz i suck at quick browsing!

so if someone could let me know what I would need to purchase (with prices if possible) besides the puck to acquire bluetooth capability, that would be great! thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

maverik,

Posts 1 and 5 above tell you what you need to know. Slow down, and read them. As for cost (and equipment sources), I provided links in post 1. Specific equipment is covered by a link in post 5. You could also search for "C 230 MHI phone system" on e-bay, and come up with lower prices.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:50 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
Are all Mercedes Branded V600 phones unlocked or were the early ones offered by Mercedes Benz dealerships locked?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NJS430,

I don't know about older ones. The ones currently sold by AWS are unlocked GSM phones - which, of course, cannot be used on a CDMA network (like Verizon and smaller regional networks that lease capability from them) - but should be usable on GSM networks (just about everyone else). Check with your service provider to see what kind of network they use.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:02 AM

2009 CLK 550
2009 CLK550

A bit confused as to what I need for my new '09 CLK550 that is pre-wired for phone but doesn't have the cradle in the handset. Hoping to do the factory bluetooth option myself, but not sure if that's a reasonable approach. Any help would be extremely appreciated. My car does not have COMMAND.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Handsfree communications for your car consists of three parts: 1) prewiring; 2) An MHI controller and other electronics (in the trunk), and an MHI contact plate in the center console phone compartment; and 3) either a cradle (for a plug-in phone) or a Bluetooth puck.

Because you have prewiring, you need to check to see if you have the second stage of the equipment (you have already said you lack the third).
Perhaps the best and fastest way is to check for the presence of an MHI contact plate (see Fig. 45 at http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phon...LK%20Coupe.pdf for what the contact plate itself looks like). If you do have it, you have a handsfree system and only need to add the Bluetooth puck and a compatible phone (check the AWS site - http://www.wireless4mb.com/ - use the "connectivity options" tab) to complete the system. If you do not have the contact plate, you do not have the "handsfree option" and will need to add equipment mentioned above.

Alternatively, check your options list on the window sticker - if it says you have the "handsfree communications" (or something that indicates you have more than the prewiring that is part of the "Premium 1 package") - all you would need is the MB Bluetooth puck and a compatible phone.

If all you have is prewiring, you will need to add the rest of the handsfree equipment. Ask your dealer to consult the phone bulletin for your car and tell you what additional parts are necessary (basically, an MHI controller and brackets and the MHI contact plate in the console; then, you need to add a Bluetooth puck and a compatible phone as discussed above).

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-04-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:50 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
HAND HELD PHONE AND BLUETOOTH

Originally Posted by MBZEnthusiast
A bit confused as to what I need for my new '09 CLK550 that is pre-wired for phone but doesn't have the cradle in the handset. Hoping to do the factory bluetooth option myself, but not sure if that's a reasonable approach. Any help would be extremely appreciated. My car does not have COMMAND.

Thanks!
I have a 2009 E500 prewired option. I picked the vehicle up at the factory and the representative paired up my phone a Sony Ericsson at the time of delivery. I could not use the phone in Europe in the vehicle. I picked up the vehicle up in California a few weeks later. The phone works fine it shuts off the audio and the phone audio displays on the screen. I do not know of any special craddle needed to use the phone.

I just changed to a BlackBerry a couple of weeks ago it took a little while to pair the phone up. I load all the phone number from the BlackBerry to the phone system in the vehicle. The system pickup all enteries from the BlackBerry. I had to delete all the additional information. I charge the BlackBerry on my home charger or a USB on my computer. The phone is paired up soon as the audio is turned on in the vehicle.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:40 PM

2009 CLK 550
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Handsfree communications for your car consists of three parts: 1) prewiring; 2) An MHI controller and other electronics (in the trunk), and an MHI contact plate in the center console phone compartment; and 3) either a cradle (for a plug-in phone) or a Bluetooth puck.

Because you have prewiring, you need to check to see if you have the second stage of the equipment (you have already said you lack the third).
Perhaps the best and fastest way is to check for the presence of an MHI contact plate (see Fig. 45 at http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phon...LK%20Coupe.pdf for what the contact plate itself looks like). If you do have it, you have a handsfree system and only need to add the Bluetooth puck and a compatible phone (check the AWS site - http://www.wireless4mb.com/ - use the "connectivity options" tab) to complete the system. If you do not have the contact plate, you do not have the "handsfree option" and will need to add equipment mentioned above.

Alternatively, check your options list on the window sticker - if it says you have the "handsfree communications" (or something that indicates you have more than the prewiring that is part of the "Premium 1 package") - all you would need is the MB Bluetooth puck and a compatible phone.

If all you have is prewiring, you will need to add the rest of the handsfree equipment. Ask your dealer to consult the phone bulletin for your car and tell you what additional parts are necessary (basically, an MHI controller and brackets and the MHI contact plate in the console; then, you need to add a Bluetooth puck and a compatible phone as discussed above).
Thanks Skylaw! I know I only have the pre-wiring, no handsfree equipment. Any idea how much the MHI controller and parts should cost, roughly, and where may they be purchased? I'm pretty handy with tools so I think I should be able to manage the install. Again, your help is really appreciated.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by MBZEnthusiast
Thanks Skylaw! I know I only have the pre-wiring, no handsfree equipment. Any idea how much the MHI controller and parts should cost, roughly, and where may they be purchased? I'm pretty handy with tools so I think I should be able to manage the install. Again, your help is really appreciated.
Scroll up to my post #52 and there's a link to an ebay listing (expired) but you can call the seller, cellguy85 (his phone number is in the listing) and he may be able to help you with what you need.

Fred
Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And the very first post in this string has some additional parts sources.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:17 PM

2004 S430 USA
Talking Puck with Tail works with Sprint PCS Bluetooth Smart Phone!

Since the MY04 S Class (as well as the 03-04 E) are somewhat of an anomaly I thought I'd let you know that I very easily (in the parking lot of the Dealer) installed in my 2004 S430 a Puck with Tail and was able to be on the phone using the steering wheel buttons and the downloaded phone book, with a few difficulties, within about 15 minutes.

The phone is NOT on the approved list... so I call on that list: an HTC TouchPro, from Sprint... so therefore CDMA, running Windows 6.1. It works quite slick however and for the most part I am able to transition fairly easily as well between my bluetooth headset and the bluetooth car when coming and going from the car.

The car also downloads the phone book automatically each time I enter the car (about a 30 second process I would guess). I have about 1300 contacts in my phone and the only frustration is that it seems that the individuals that I call the MOST are NOT downloading... I haven't figured out why yet but will go through the list in the car and compare it to the list in the phone (and my PC) and try to figure out what the common issue is that would cause this. It is also a minor annoyance that although my phone sorts by last name the car has all the names listed alphabetically by first name....

Anyway. I've had rave reviews from those on the other end of a call so am quite pleased.

FYI. The dealership had no idea what this thing did, nor did they have installation instructions to share with me. Thanks to all on this thread for making me brave enough (after reading A LOT!) to try this myself. After having been quoted >$2000 by one dealership to get my phone working and an independant ~$1000 is was pretty sweet to do it myself for <$400!

Cheers!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

bjvangundy,

Glad you got your equipment set up so easily.

I have to point out, however, that the phone book problems you are experiencing may be the reason your phone isn't on the AWS "approved" list. Most Bluetooth phones will make and receive calls. Phones that do not perform all features available in the MB system, do not make the approved list. Phones that do, make the list. Therefore, it's not a B.S. list at all.

Plus, there is a limit on the number of entries the MB Bluetooth will handle - 900 sticks in my memory, but I can't swear to that. Your 1300 entries may be too many for the system. If you search enough, I believe you will find a post by one contributor who compartmentalized his most vital contacts, somehow, and got them to download - but I don't have that bookmarked.

Also, the testing process AWS uses takes 90 days. Contributors have often reported fully successful integration of their newly-released phones (for specific examples, iPod, Blackberry Storm/Lightning) long before the end of the testing period. A few have reported initial success, but then an increasing number of problems.

Some folks reported massive problems with an early version of phones with Windows operating systems - but a Windows upgrade fixed the problem.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-28-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

iPhone Update

I have verified that the iPhone 3G can be used with the MHI second generation puck and with a Dension Gateway 500, and do exactly what you would want it to: automatically pause music play to answer or place a call, and then resume the music when the call is ended.

Strangely, this is not always the case with later systems (the '07 and '08 S-Class, at least; the iPhone must be disconnected from the OE MB iPod cable to use the telephony feature).
Old 01-28-2009, 10:38 PM

E55, C32, ML320
Thanks for the timely information Skylaw. I have an 06 E55 that is going in for service next week. It is "pre-wired" so they are planning to add the controller, iphone cradle and ipod kit. I have an iphone 3g. Is this the best way to go? I was thinking that i would be able to pop it in the cradle so it would charge, play music and take/make calls without any fuss. Am I wrong in that assumption? I know the song selection will only show on the instrument cluster, but I'm ok with that. Any other noteworthy limitations?

Thanks...
Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

blando,

Unfortunately I don't know whether the MB iPod kit works with the iPhone the same way the Gateway 500 does. You may want to cover the point with your dealer before the installation is done - or scan the forum for other posts on using the iPhone with the MB iPod kit and the OE phone system.

It came as a surprise to me that the iPhone had to be disconnected from the cable in order to function as a phone in the '07 and '08 S-Class - but my dealer's chief tech swears this is true (I believe the '09 does not have this limitation). However, the iPod kits for S-Class are different between the '06 and '07 model years, so the kit for your '06 E-Class may not have the problem.

I do know that you could use a Gateway 500 with your car; so it is a good fallback if your dealer (or other contributors) indicate a problem.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:20 PM

2014 GL 350 on order
Tech Wizards: make it easy for this low tech white collar professional please.
Will my yet to be purchased 3G iphone (awaiting your advice) be fully compatible with my '05 E55 AMG that has the second gen BT puck in place? That setup worked perfectly with my previous phone, KRZR with BT bought from AWS.
They no longer sell phones although.
Again-thanks in advance Joker
Old 01-31-2009, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jokerz,

Your 3G iPhone will work with the 2d generation Bluetooth puck.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:17 PM

2014 GL 350 on order
skylaw: roger that, finally got the answer I was hoping for-again thanks for the reply. Joker
P.S. I was resisting this whole iphone thing but they really have anice, user friendly interface product.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is interesting that AWS seems not to be selling phones (or only very few - mainly plug-in units) any more. However, the do have lists of compatible phones for each handsfree option on their site.

Please note that to be able to use the music function of your iPhone, you will still need an iPod integration of some sort (personally, I like the Dension Gateway 500; see post #67 above) - but if music play isn't one of your objectives, the 2d generation MHI puck that you have will do fine.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:31 PM

Some info I would like to share.

I have an 04 s430 with a v60 cradle. I use to have an old mercedes v60 phone that worked fine but was outdated. I was an early adopter of the bluetooth puck when it first came out. Audio quality has always been an issue with a razr back then and especially my lg muziq and now LG lotus. in the car, the other caller sounds great but other people say my voice sounds garbled (i agree, i have heard it myself on the other end). tried turning off ac, etc. and nothing helped. Pairing was fine though.

I havent looked at this forum in a while but happened to look the other day and noticed this very informative thread by skylaw, especially with the Version 2 puck. Went to AWS website and noticed no mention of a version 2 puck per say but noticed that the part number was the same as my early production v60 puck. Went to my dealer and tried it out: same part number (B67875856) but voice quality was far different. Caller on the other end says quality is great, couldn't tell I was on hands free at all.

So my conclusion is that Version 2 of the v60 puck may have the same part number, B67875856, as the original version 1 puck, but it may behave differently espcially for newer phone.

BTW, i also checked to see if anything else is different with these 2 v60 pucks. The h/w and s/w numbers are even the same (i presume they stand for hardware and software number). The only thing different is that on the old one, there is a motorola emblem on the face while on the new one, there is a circle of where the motorola emblem use to be but it is empty.

hope this info helps others
Old 02-18-2009, 03:16 PM

2003 E500 Sport
Bluetooth read SMS?

Hi, I have a E500, 2003 Sport and I'm going to attempt adding Bluetooth to my car using the B/T Short Chord puck. MY question is will I be able to read SMS on my command?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH