Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Remote starter for Mercedes with Smartkey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:54 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by ShangoAshe
Any word on the development for w220?

Very interested in this product for my s55 which has keyless go
We have begun testing across the entire range of W220 models:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pKjyQN0qAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYGN6dergfs

Turns out that mercedes has made quite a few changes so far just across the models that we have seen. We have to document these and make sure that the starter firmware covers all the variations. Hopefully this will be done in a couple of months as we get more and more W220's in.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by michealroberts
Is there any Mercedes Dealer in Newfoundland, Canada that can install Smartkey Remote starter?
If you call our offices at 312.421.1114 or also automobility canada at 1-888-55-START we can get locate an installing dealer near you.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:58 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
One more starter video for the season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DMzS4ScjN0
Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 mercedes benz C180k Avantgarde SE
Originally Posted by rob13572468
We currently do not have any dealers in Finland so now would be a great time to set one up The current uninstalled pricing on the W203 starter is still $799 US. (we were never able to get enough W203 owners together to do the promotion.)

Adding push-to-start is something we have been looking at quite a bit. It is possible to do so i would expect that we will be working on implementing it when we have a bit more time (which typically means summer)
Thanks for the reply Rob.. push-to-start option is certainly a good thing to have and I bet you'll get more of us W203 getting this item from you.
I believe the price is rather too high for $799 therefore, resulting in lack of interest. If you could offer half of the price I strongly believe you could get more than 40 W203 people for this.

Zack
Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 PM

mercedes ml550
There are now some Mercedes dealers in US and Canada installing Smartkey Starters. Does this mean that Mercedes dealers now approve Smartkey starters and is it better to do this with a MB delear because they are more expereinced with the vehicle electrical system.

How simple is the installation and does the installer need to have a lot expereince to properly install this starter.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:00 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by michealroberts
There are now some Mercedes dealers in US and Canada installing Smartkey Starters. Does this mean that Mercedes dealers now approve Smartkey starters and is it better to do this with a MB delear because they are more expereinced with the vehicle electrical system.

How simple is the installation and does the installer need to have a lot expereince to properly install this starter.
The individual Mercedes dealers are starting to come around now that they see that the starter works really well and is reliable. It is still up to each dealer if they want to carry the product so its always best to check with your local dealer.

The actual unit itself is relatively easy to install. We use oem connectors so there is no cutting or splicing of wires. certain models require more installation labor than others as there is more to take apart.. For instance the W203 C requires that you pull the center console, center dash and lower driver side dash just to get to the cylinder...
Old 01-22-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
remote start (W211) and memory settings

This does sound like a nicely engineered solution. I have been hoping for an RS ever since I bought my 2005 CDI.

I was wondering about one thing. I have Keyless Go and I know that the memory settings for the seat/steering wheel/etc. are stored differently depending on whether one has plugged in the key or is using the KG button to start the car.

I saw the earlier message that indicated you weren't using a second key anymore for the KG version. I'm just wondering if there's any effect on how the car recalls the customizable memory settings if one remote starts.

Which settings does the car use when the RS is activated?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by pa28pilot
This does sound like a nicely engineered solution. I have been hoping for an RS ever since I bought my 2005 CDI.

I was wondering about one thing. I have Keyless Go and I know that the memory settings for the seat/steering wheel/etc. are stored differently depending on whether one has plugged in the key or is using the KG button to start the car.

I saw the earlier message that indicated you weren't using a second key anymore for the KG version. I'm just wondering if there's any effect on how the car recalls the customizable memory settings if one remote starts.

Which settings does the car use when the RS is activated?

Thanks.
Thats actually a really good question: I dont think anyone has actually asked that one before...

The starter system uses the last physically used key ID for remote starting. So if driver 1 was the last one actually driving and then driver 2 comes along and uses the remote starter,the steering wheel and seats will stay in driver 1's positions while the car is remote started. When driver 2 actually gets in the vehicle to drive, the key cylinder (or keyless go system) then re-verifies using driver 2's key. On certain models the seats and steering wheel re-adjust at that point but i dont believe we have done a comprehensive check as to how each model handles the takeover.

Of course now we are going to do just that and I will post the info when we are done.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
rob I tried it a while ago on a Gl and no change, though I tried on an E and when I started it the seat went to the normal position and they complained about the easy exit and entrance feature... I thought the keys no longer had specific customer info in them anymore
Old 01-25-2010, 09:39 AM

2002 c320
nothing prior to 2003

I was told no smartkey starter program available for 2002 and older. Don't plan on providing one either. SOL for me.

Any other options?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

CLK430
Rob-

I wanted to get some feedback about making a system for some of the older cars like the W208 that use Smartkeys. How much interest would it take to make this happen?

I was talking to TJ and he said I should start with you. I am willing to do some of the leg work to make this happen.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by jbondox
rob I tried it a while ago on a Gl and no change, though I tried on an E and when I started it the seat went to the normal position and they complained about the easy exit and entrance feature... I thought the keys no longer had specific customer info in them anymore
The keys still have specific identities even on the newest models so its difficult to get around. We have this particular issue on the wish list of things to look at when we update the firmware...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by P1 Performance
Rob-

I wanted to get some feedback about making a system for some of the older cars like the W208 that use Smartkeys. How much interest would it take to make this happen?

I was talking to TJ and he said I should start with you. I am willing to do some of the leg work to make this happen.
Officially the only older models we are working to implement is the W220/R230 but in actuality we are still working towards engineering solutions to all smartkey models. If you call or email asking the standard answer is that nothing is available for the older models but we take *every* request that we get to see what we can do. (just so you guys know that we are listening...)

Right now the two biggest issues with developing for the older platforms are having access to a wide range of older models for testing and the other is the availability of connectors to make the system plug-and-play. The first issue can be resolved simply by planning a beta test program for each model. We do more testing across a wider range of models and more extensively than anyone else in the security industry so it does take longer to validate each product for specific models but its nothing that time cannot resolve. The second issue is a bit more difficult. On the older models many of the automotive connectors are not available which causes difficulty; we can manufacture the connectors ourselves but the cost to do so is actually very high unless we make alot of them (alot=10,000+). The second possibility is to make the kit a wire in where an installer actually has to splice into the factory wiring and solder connections.

The best way for us to move forward in development is to get a realistic idea of how many owners of a particular model are interested in getting the starter done. Once we can gauge demand then we can work out the best way to build the kit for that vehicle.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned

CLK430
Officially the only older models we are working to implement is the W220/R230 but in actuality we are still working towards engineering solutions to all smartkey models. If you call or email asking the standard answer is that nothing is available for the older models but we take *every* request that we get to see what we can do. (just so you guys know that we are listening...)

Right now the two biggest issues with developing for the older platforms are having access to a wide range of older models for testing and the other is the availability of connectors to make the system plug-and-play. The first issue can be resolved simply by planning a beta test program for each model. We do more testing across a wider range of models and more extensively than anyone else in the security industry so it does take longer to validate each product for specific models but its nothing that time cannot resolve. The second issue is a bit more difficult. On the older models many of the automotive connectors are not available which causes difficulty; we can manufacture the connectors ourselves but the cost to do so is actually very high unless we make alot of them (alot=10,000+). The second possibility is to make the kit a wire in where an installer actually has to splice into the factory wiring and solder connections.

The best way for us to move forward in development is to get a realistic idea of how many owners of a particular model are interested in getting the starter done. Once we can gauge demand then we can work out the best way to build the kit for that vehicle.
Could I offer up my car as a way of making a kit for some of the older models? I know the W208,W202, and W210 share a lot of the same components.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
rob, do not do the installer splice method, you know how that went when we talked before... especially when it comes to future service of the vehicle at the dealership.

I know there is a lot of competent people but they are the minority, and the reputation is online with every install... which is how the other company got burned... with every product...

BTW... rob, waz up... I figured what I was going to do on that project.

seat sensor, which activates rear, deactivates front, GL rear AC piece controling the front, all soldered board to board... dials were resistance base
Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

CLK430
rob, do not do the installer splice method, you know how that went when we talked before... especially when it comes to future service of the vehicle at the dealership.

I know there is a lot of competent people but they are the minority, and the reputation is online with every install... which is how the other company got burned... with every product...

seat sensor, which activates rear, deactivates front, GL rear AC piece controling the front, all soldered board to board... dials were resistance base
When it comes to wire splicing, I usually get that work done at the dealership, who is very mod friendly mind you! They even installed my wideband o2 sensor and incorporated the factory heater circuit.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Could I offer up my car as a way of making a kit for some of the older models? I know the W208,W202, and W210 share a lot of the same components.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:14 PM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
I admit I didn't read all 7 pages, but depending on price this would definitely be something I'd be interested in. My car is a W210 02 E55.

Edit: Didn't take long to see that there was a buy offered for $799. That might be a bit high for me but I'd still be interested in hearing more.

Last edited by jtbeche; 01-30-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:19 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise

Yeah I hear you.. I feel the same way... its just a matter of getting the injection molding costs down (they are *very* expensive to do in the US)...

We need to talk again about that project... I have some ideas about how to approach the systems we discussed on a large scale...
Old 01-31-2010, 05:54 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Thanks for the offer... we will be needing some test vehicles as we get further in particularly for the long term testing. Once we get the plug manufacturing worked out we will go forward with the kit development for those models...
Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Banned

CLK430
Thanks for the offer... we will be needing some test vehicles as we get further in particularly for the long term testing. Once we get the plug manufacturing worked out we will go forward with the kit development for those models...
I'm ready whenever you are!! I'll even make my way up to The Chi for installation.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
So does this mean there is something for us on the horizen, soon, maybe...???
Old 02-07-2010, 05:48 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
So does this mean there is something for us on the horizen, soon, maybe...???
Yes.. our plans are still to offer smartkey starters for all mercedes models that use the the smartkey... Its just a matter of putting all the little bits together to make it happen...
Old 02-07-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Yes.. our plans are still to offer smartkey starters for all mercedes models that use the the smartkey... Its just a matter of putting all the little bits together to make it happen...
I'm sure there's more than one person that will offer up their car to make this happen. If someone were to bring their car to you, would that help move things along? How long would you need it for?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
I'm sure there's more than one person that will offer up their car to make this happen. If someone were to bring their car to you, would that help move things along? How long would you need it for?
we still need to get the connectors manufactured that plug into the key cylinder for those models and that has to get done first... we have been working on getting a good price to keep the costs low but so far the prices we have been quoted are pretty high.. (we got a quote of $22,000 US for just one connector!)

It takes a little bit or work to get everything together but it will be worth it once it all comes together...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote starter for Mercedes with Smartkey