C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

engine noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C230 Coupe Silver, 04 A6 2.7T S-Line, 07 Mini
engine noise

Hi, new member here. I just purchased a 2002 c230 coupe (26K miles) and I was just wondering about the engine noise. I have tried to do a search and I looked through 8 pages of c-class w203 section of the forum but no answer. I noticed that the engine is unusally loud, I mean to the point where it's embarassing to accelerate next to cars with their windows down. Ticking noise for the first minute or so after starting the car. No one I know owns a coupe so I really can't compare the noise to see if it's normal or not. Service advisor said that the problem couldn't be duplicated and the car sounds normal. It sounds worse than a 88' honda civic. Others say that it's loud because of the supercharger so that's what I thought but the more I hear it the more I get worried. Please help!!
Old 05-28-2005, 12:09 PM

WTH?
Old 05-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by ddrango
WTH?
Don't you think its funny how you beat up on posters but yet you are no different based on past post/thread experience. :v
Old 05-28-2005, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Its an emissions thing. The sound is indeed the supercharger. A bypass door opens and sends compressed air from the supercharger onto the catalyst. This preheats the catalytic converter, allowing it to meet ULEV status.

The sound is perfectly normal when the engine is cold, and usually goes away in 30 seconds.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:38 PM

02 C230 Coupe Silver, 04 A6 2.7T S-Line, 07 Mini
Originally Posted by ddrango
WTH?
**** you, if u can't help shut the **** up. You know what? I don't give a **** if I get banned or not but gotta get some **** straight. It's ****ers like you that ruin the whole "forum" experience. I'm guessin u never had problems huh? Maybe your english is better than me, whatever the reason. Don't be a ***** and next time a newbie comes along treat them like how you ****in want to be treated. Your ****in mama didn't teach you any manners you ignorant ****. Sick and tired of ****ers like you geekin out in front of computers and slammin other peoples posts get a ****in life.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:51 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
Originally Posted by tetsu1
**** you, if u can't help shut the **** up. You know what? I don't give a **** if I get banned or not but gotta get some **** straight. It's ****ers like you that ruin the whole "forum" experience. I'm guessin u never had problems huh? Maybe your english is better than me, whatever the reason. Don't be a ***** and next time a newbie comes along treat them like how you ****in want to be treated. Your ****in mama didn't teach you any manners you ignorant ****. Sick and tired of ****ers like you geekin out in front of computers and slammin other peoples posts get a ****in life.
Woa chillax dude. I don't think he meant any harm there? The engine is rough for the first minute or so, if it goes beyond that I suggest a trip to the dealer to try one of their 2002 c230s see if it sounds any better... Some of the SA really don't care about you or your car, they just want to get it done asap and send you the invoice. Be firm with them, and if the advisor can'T help you ask to speak to the manager or go to a different dealer... I time you will find a good and honest advisor and stick to him like I do!

enjoy your car.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!
lol man i agree with u.....

yea i was gonna post a thread about my engine noise too, so is my supercharger?? still is there anyway i can get rid of it?? i hate those noise...
is like when i start my car in front of many ppls they look at me and think if my car is a replica Mercede or a civic in disguse in to benz....
Old 12-04-2005, 04:31 AM

C 230K Coupé
I have a 2002 c230 couple just like you, it's a little loud when it warms up but after that it's fine. You have the same engine as the 02 and past c-class sedans. It's called the M111 which is 2.3 supercharged. The post-02 c230's have a m271 engine which is 1.8 supercharged.
Now if the noise is just way too loud then there's something wrong with the car. Go have it checked out. Why did you purchase a car without first driving it?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!
Originally Posted by r3v1ls
I have a 2002 c230 couple just like you, it's a little loud when it warms up but after that it's fine. You have the same engine as the 02 and past c-class sedans. It's called the M111 which is 2.3 supercharged. The post-02 c230's have a m271 engine which is 1.8 supercharged.
Now if the noise is just way too loud then there's something wrong with the car. Go have it checked out. Why did you purchase a car without first driving it?
no we mean the tickling noise.... we ask the dealer they all said is normal and some of them say is the supercharger...
when i listen to the C230K coupe engine they are all the same...
Old 12-05-2005, 06:16 AM

05 C55, 01 C240, 00 Discovery
LOL chill out dude
welcome to the forum
and dont get
Old 12-05-2005, 07:03 AM

Metro Card : (
Originally Posted by Outland
Its an emissions thing. The sound is indeed the supercharger. A bypass door opens and sends compressed air from the supercharger onto the catalyst. This preheats the catalytic converter, allowing it to meet ULEV status.

The sound is perfectly normal when the engine is cold, and usually goes away in 30 seconds.
This sounds accurate. My car sounds like a lawn mower when I start it in the morning or when it has been sitting all day. By the time I get out of my garage (about four floors) it sounds MUCH quieter.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Mine does the same thing as everyone elses so I guess it must be normal. I wonder why MB had to design it to be so loud and rough at start-up. Emission purpose or not, an MB shouldn't sound like a lawn mower!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:50 PM

C 230K Coupé
no we mean the tickling noise.... we ask the dealer they all said is normal and some of them say is the supercharger...
when i listen to the C230K coupe engine they are all the same...
Well the noise has never bothered me... the car does need to warm up... after a couple of minutes it sounds fine. I guess it's cause it needs to start up the supercharger too. S/C cars do tend to have "that" sound.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
Mine does the same thing as everyone elses so I guess it must be normal. I wonder why MB had to design it to be so loud and rough at start-up. Emission purpose or not, an MB shouldn't sound like a lawn mower!
It certainly doesn't sound like a lawn mower. My lawn mower is little more civilized. Frankly, I don't care. It gets 29mpg in the friggin city, its torquey as all hell, and with a cheap pulley and couple other tweaks it makes over 240HP. A guy at work who drives an Acura TSX parked next to me one day, and we both walked out about the same time...him a little behind. He asked me why it sounds like that when I started it....I waited another 10 seconds(as the bypass closed) and said, what noise? Then I wound the needle to 4 grand, dumped the clutch and fishtailed out of the spot.....do you mean this noise?!

Look, it is what it is. You all drove the damn things before you bought em. If you didn't, what were you thinking?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Brabus_x2
lol man i agree with u.....

yea i was gonna post a thread about my engine noise too, so is my supercharger?? still is there anyway i can get rid of it?? i hate those noise...
is like when i start my car in front of many ppls they look at me and think if my car is a replica Mercede or a civic in disguse in to benz....
It could be your grasp of the language.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:06 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Originally Posted by Outland
It certainly doesn't sound like a lawn mower. My lawn mower is little more civilized.

You all drove the damn things before you bought em. If you didn't, what were you thinking?
You are right! My lawn mower sounds way better. I bought the damn thing thinking I'll get used to the damn noise. However, after day in and day out with this damn noise, it's starting to irritate me like h#ll!
Old 12-06-2005, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
You are right! My lawn mower sounds way better. I bought the damn thing thinking I'll get used to the damn noise. However, after day in and day out with this damn noise, it's starting to irritate me like h#ll!
You should sell that junker right away. Give the dealer a lot more of your cash and get the slower, thirstier 06 v6.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
Check the exhaust system for leak, my friend has her car's exhaust system checked (C200K coupe) and changed due to leaking (not sure which part), before it was changed, sounds f*kin terrible, now it sounds the way it should.