C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: What color calipers?
Gold
7.18%
Red
31.58%
White
2.39%
Gunmetal
9.57%
Silver
28.71%
Black
20.57%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

BRAKE Pad, Rotors, & Calipers Discussion Thread (OEM, aftermarket, etc...)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just put on the Akebono Ceramic pads that Tirerack sells on my kids SLK. So far so good but it's only been 2 days so I can't comment on the dust issue but if they are like the ceramic pads I put on my wife's Jeep, no dust on the wheels at all, even after 3 weeks where the original pads were like MB, black wheels in one week. They come with sensors and are extremely well made with stainless steel shims, beveled and slotted.

The only advantage of the MB pads is they are cheap, about $50. Actually on my 2004.5 C230 SS with the 4 piston calipers, I get very little dust from MB pads. It's the cars with the single (2001-2004) or dual piston (2005+) calipers that get tons of dust from the MB pads.

As for using Simple Green on aluminum wheels, its corrosive to aluminum, I wouldn't use it for that. I use Eagle One A2Z Wheel/Tire cleaner and it works great on removing dust on the tires and wheels. But just because it does a great job at removing dust doesn't mean I want to spend my time doing it.

Last edited by Buellwinkle; 03-20-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Originally Posted by c230 o5
are they squeeky and dusty?
They seem to be less dusty than the OEM pads. I recently started hearing a squeak at very low speeds, about 1-2mph. I also changed my rotors but i don't think that's the cause. Overall i really didn't see any major improvements, there is still dust and residue.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 135i
i was just told the EBC are bad breaks im thinking of getting HAWK HPS pads they only make for the front and stop tech rotors
Old 03-20-2007, 11:18 PM

BMW 135i
can some 1 just plesase tell me what are the best Brake pads for our car THANK YOU to many brands hawk, pagid, Porterfield,EBC,Axiss
Old 03-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by c230 o5
can some 1 just plesase tell me what are the best Brake pads for our car THANK YOU to many brands hawk, pagid, Porterfield,EBC,Axiss
That's the thing though. There's no right or wrong answer. It's all a matter of perspective.

Majority of people have had good experiences with either OEM or Porterfield.

Akebonos seem to be getting a good reputation also.

If you read through this thread (merged from so many threads talking about pads), you'd get a guage for what people seem to use. If you're too lazy to read, just say so, but don't think that people will hand answers to you on a silver platter, especially with something that there really isn't a definitive answer for.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 AM

AMG GTS
Guys I had the EBC brake pads on my Lexus before I recently swapped them out back to a OEM-like brand...oh my god...those EBC's probably released more dust than our OEM brake pads on our W203's...and they went out really quick...not sure which one I got...but just wanted to share my experience.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:20 AM

BMW 135i
Originally Posted by drexappeal
That's the thing though. There's no right or wrong answer. It's all a matter of perspective.

Majority of people have had good experiences with either OEM or Porterfield.

Akebonos seem to be getting a good reputation also.

If you read through this thread (merged from so many threads talking about pads), you'd get a guage for what people seem to use. If you're too lazy to read, just say so, but don't think that people will hand answers to you on a silver platter, especially with something that there really isn't a definitive answer for.
your kinda right i was to lazy to go through 4 pages .

i'l just get hawk HPSpads 80 bucks for the front
Old 03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As for reusing the sensors, they are a pain to remove from the old pads and insert into the new and you may break it trying to do this since they are plastic and have been heated many times and are old. So for a few bucks, I would buy the new sensor and if you can resuse the old, great, if not then you don't have to do a trip to the dealer in the middle of your brake job when you are covered in grime. Also, the Akebono brake pads I installed on my kid's SLK came with sensors. Even though one of the sensors didn't go off, it did start grinding at it and came close to going off so I definately would not want to reuse that sensor.

As far as dust, the small single piston brakes they put in the older W203 and the newer C240/C280 and similarly on the SLK230 dust the most and benefit from any other brake pad than MB. On the C32 and 2004.5 C230, I have little to no dust form the factory pad. It's posssible they use a different company like Jurid for the pads since these are Brembo brakes. The 2005 SS brakes are 2 piston and are about half way in-between when it comes to dust. I know some of you believe MB engineered the brakes and pads but the reality is, they just go with low bid and typically use pads from Pagid, Textar or Jurid because they are local in Europe. That doesn't mean pads from other companies are any less safe, if anything they are probably safer since they are not "low bid"
Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 PM

2005 C 230 Kompressor
Brake pad replacement .....nervous

Got the wife an 05 C230 Kompressor Sedan and I'm an avid DIY but this is my first Benz. I service and repair all my other vehicles myself including building engines for my own hotrods and for others, so I dont have any problems with the mechanics of the job, just questions about warnings, correct parts and procedures. I have seen warnings about the "SBC braking system" and brakes activing automatically. So first and formost does my car have this system. Since this car is labled "Sport" what if any AMG qualities does it have besides the front bumper cover. Secondly what parts do I get. I looked at front pads and rotors on-line. There are rotors for Sport, Sport w/Evolution and AMG what do I have? I would also like to go to pad, maybe ceramic or kevlar with much less dusting any suggestions? Also will just replacing the sensor reset the brake light, mine is not on but a friend of my wife has the same car. Dealer quoted her $1100 for "Service B" and brake job. Also how do I change the oil in this thing, no dip stick?, I have been letting the dealer handle oil changes but I think I will try the next one. How do you reset the light for service "A" or "B"? Sorry post is so long but I need help.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First, welcome to the forum. Second, so many questions, takes longer to ask and answer than to just do it.

Let me first say I never did brakes on your specific model with 2 pistons (my last MB brake job was on a single piston caliper). Usually, there's two allen screws holding the caliper to the caliper bracket. Just remove those and do the usual to get the caliper off the bracket. The pads should just fall out and use one of the pads and a c-clamp to push the piston back in and put the new pads in. I usually use a bead of anti-squeal paste on the back of the pad where it makes contact with the caliper. Let it dry for 15 min or so before putting them on or it will drip all over the place, not fun. Also put brake grease on the metal to metal contact spots on the caliper bracket where the pads ride and also on the screws I took out that hold the caliper as it slides on them. I hope I don't have to tell you not to put grease on anything else. Put it all back together and pump the brakes a few times until the pistons extend and you are good to go. Check the brake reservoir to make sure it's not overfilled. I do one side at a time and pump the brakes in between so that it doesn't overfill. If it is about to overflow, I use a turkey baster to remove extra brake fluid. If your brake sensor tripped (and even if not), get a brake sensor, a few bucks, you only need one per car. The brake sensor get inserted in the top of the pad, just look at the old one.

There is no dip stick, they've outgrown that. You remove the old oil the old fashion way, with a pump from the dipstick tube or you can do it the fancy way and remove the belly pan and then the drain bolt but then you have jack up the car and get under it and get dirty. The filter is on top, it's a cartridge, you remove the cover and the cartridge and put it back in. You check the oil just like most people here do, by using the MFD and steering wheel controls or you can, if you are so inclined, buy a service dipstick from the dealer.

For my car, I got Akebono Ceramic brake pads, work great, smooth, no dust at all. Don't know if they make it for your car though, the 2 piston brakes are too new. They have them for the 4 piston on my 2004 and the single piston brakes used on the older cars and the non-SS cars (ie C240).

Don't be fooled by any Sport labeling, all C230 sedans where sport sedans. The brakes are not from the AMG (only 2004.5 had the AMG brakes). Check Tirerack and see if they have the Akebonos yet for your car. I have only been using ceramic pads on all my cars, they are great.

You reset the service light the same way you reset the odometer, display the screen that shows how many miles you have left and press and hold the reset button.

BTW, put your city and car yr/model on your profile, makes it easier to answer questions in the future. Then you can scout out a cool avatar.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Don't be fooled by any Sport labeling, all C230 sedans where sport sedans. The brakes are not from the AMG (only 2004.5 had the AMG brakes). Check Tirerack and see if they have the Akebonos yet for your car. I have only been using ceramic pads on all my cars, they are great.
Not true. Some early 2005s like mine do have the 4-piston calipers. So make sure you check yours to be sure Ice. If so, you'll need to look online buy '04 C32 style brake pads.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Actually, changing out the brake pads is a relatively simple and bloodless task. I didn't even bust a knuckle. Once I figured out the first caliper, the others were easy.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The warnings apply to the AMG C55 brakes. I also had the same concern and contacted a service tech at my local dealer. I have a 05 C230SS and brakes are simple, pull the pin from the caliper, remove the spring and pull them out. Unfortunately the list of choices for pads is almost non-exsistant. So far I have stuck to factory pads.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:16 AM

2005 C 230 Kompressor
In fact i'm fairly sure mine does have the 4 piston caliper. But i will take some pics and attempt to post. And I will also check with tire rack on the pads. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just about everyone with a 2005 thinks they have the 4 piston C32 calipers. I posted pics in the past but the quickest way is the 4 pistons have 4 small bolts showing on the face of the caliper and is boxy reactangular, the 2 piston brakes have 2 larger bolts and the ends are sort of tapered.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Almost a Member!

mine is a early production 05 C230, produced in April 2004 and it has the same brakes as the 2004.5
Old 03-30-2007, 03:41 PM

2005 C 230 Kompressor
Just about everyone with a 2005 thinks they have the 4 piston C32 calipers. I posted pics in the past but the quickest way is the 4 pistons have 4 small bolts showing on the face of the caliper and is boxy reactangular, the 2 piston brakes have 2 larger bolts and the ends are sort of tapered.
Where could I find those pictures Buell? Mine does have 4 star or allen type screws on the outside and looks square. I will check for sure when I get home. Still plugging the clock right now.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 PM

2005 C 230 Kompressor
Almost Forgot!

This car is equiped with the ESP system, is this not a self braking system?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I like that self braking so you don't have to, I think they call that Distronic on the big boy MBs. ESP is being able to read other people minds or Electronic Stability Control to keep you from skidding and having fun.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK, here's what they look like (stolen from another post) -

2005 and newer C230 SS -

2004.5 Brakes, uses same pad as C32 brakes, maybe on some early 2005

C32 AMG Brakes, uses same pad as 2004.5 C230 even though they look different.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:32 AM

Nov 04 W203
how thick are new brake pads in mm...trying to see at what stage mine is at..can it be spotted without removing alloys..
another thing..can a ceramic one be replaced with what i have now..2004.5 ones..bec seen some treads and they say ceramics dont produce and dust at all..
Old 03-31-2007, 01:35 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
Originally Posted by MugenRD
mine is a early production 05 C230, produced in April 2004 and it has the same brakes as the 2004.5
Ditto.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To see how much pad you have left, just go out in the sun, look at the space between the rotor and the backing plate of the pad, about 1/8" is when you need to start ordering the stuff. When it gets closer to 1/16" or so, the sensor should have triggered by then. For my kid's SLK which dusted like crazy, I got the Akebono Ceramic (made in USA despite the African sounding name) from Tirerack (they also sell them for the C32 style brakes). The guy at the car wash today asked me if I drove the car all week because the wheel was so clean. My wife goes a month between washes on her Jeep that I put ceramic pads on, no brake dust on the wheels, just dirt from street grime.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:50 PM

Nov 04 W203
maybe that is what i need..ceramic pads..it is pain cleaning the AMG alloys..so many spokes..i clean the inside width of the rim as well..so looks like just fitted to the car..back 2 is easy..front 2 takes a lot longer due to brake dust..
I am definately going to find out if it is available in the UK..
so basically swap my present ones for the ceramic ones when it needs replacing of course..
Old 03-31-2007, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blueserenity777
so basically swap my present ones for the ceramic ones when it needs replacing of course..
I swapped the pads in my last car when it was new, couldn't stand the dust.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: BRAKE Pad, Rotors, & Calipers Discussion Thread (OEM, aftermarket, etc...)