C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits & required setting XENON=PRESENT thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by krisv420
could someone help me my HIDS flicker when my car is turned on... but they work fine when its turned off
how much flickering and do they cut off completely? if you want to leave them in until you do version code turn the lights on before you put the key in the ignition wait 30sec then you can start the car and avoid flickering. this works most of the time but some hid kits still won't work until you do the setting.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
https://mbworld.org/forums/3530548-post8.html
Old 10-28-2009, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Hi all,

I just got a 6000K 35W HID kit installed in my car...and it works perfectly at night.

Im in Canada and by law we are supposed to have running lights during the day....but when its bright outside, no lights come on and I get an error on my dash.

Will the Xenon = Present setting fix this?

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Well after 1 hour of going back and forth with the service advisor and the Va bch mb dealership about this and finally showing him this page he finally admitted they could do it. Be careful of those service guys that say it can't be done! It can!

All in all it took the tech about 10 min to complete. Then the *** charged me $120.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:47 PM

'97 S600, '93 300SE, '98 CL500, '04 S320, '07 525D
I am sorry but please tell me how i can set XENON mode please. I have no patience in reading 70 pages.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:54 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by dj_rzn
I am sorry but please tell me how i can set XENON mode please. I have no patience in reading 70 pages.

im sure you need more than just a reader to change the settings. and from what i can find, the scanner needed to do this yourself is very expensive.... best to prolly take it to the dealer.

just an opinion, no facts here.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Here

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...=1#post2273509
Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
lol read the link i posted print that and go to the dealer and you are good to go.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by samaritrey
lol read the link i posted print that and go to the dealer and you are good to go.

thats exactly what i had to do today. the fought me and fought me untill i went to this page on HIS computer and printed that off for him.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Originally Posted by dlwiser
thats exactly what i had to do today. the fought me and fought me untill i went to this page on HIS computer and printed that off for him.
I fought with three dealers and an indy who wanted over 100 to just see if it was possible then more $ for doing it. then i went in to my favorite dealer and talked with my long time sa. he hooked me up with the shop foreman who told me to go get my car and park it right next to the sl 65 black in the shop. he unplugged the star from it and into my c320. lol i gained some hp that day. he spent over 30 minutes trying to figure out why the star wouldn't talk to my car then did the setting change and told me to have a nice day and would not accept money as a tip or to the dealer. but it took me about a month of searching for a dealer to do it.

hey dlwiser i saw you are in the va,md,dc group. where do you live? just wondering what dealer fought with you on this.

Last edited by samaritrey; 11-02-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:14 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by samaritrey
I fought with three dealers and an indy who wanted over 100 to just see if it was possible then more $ for doing it. then i went in to my favorite dealer and talked with my long time sa. he hooked me up with the shop foreman who told me to go get my car and park it right next to the sl 65 black in the shop. he unplugged the star from it and into my c320. lol i gained some hp that day. he spent over 30 minutes trying to figure out why the star wouldn't talk to my car then did the setting change and told me to have a nice day and would not accept money as a tip or to the dealer. but it took me about a month of searching for a dealer to do it.

hey dlwiser i saw you are in the va,md,dc group. where do you live? just wondering what dealer fought with you on this.
I live in Va. Bch. yes im in the group but dont visit that part of the site much. It was Phillips MB down here that gave me the hassle. They said it would be at least $60 to try and fail, more if it worked..... ended up being a tit over $120.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
I live in Va. Bch. yes im in the group but dont visit that part of the site much. It was Phillips MB down here that gave me the hassle. They said it would be at least $60 to try and fail, more if it worked..... ended up being a tit over $120.
you could have gone to my dealer in Arlington had lunch at one of the nice restaurants and drove home and still be ahead. oh well it is done now and you can enjoy your bix or whatever you have.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:34 PM

C32 AMG
lessons learned.... they gave me a free coke! lol yes, i have hid's in my heads and fogs
Old 11-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
lessons learned.... they gave me a free coke! lol yes, i have hid's in my heads and fogs
a coke lol i had a dealer that was doing warranty work for me and i told them that i could not get my car to them for a few days. my sa said that he would come and pick it up even though my dealer at that time was over an hour away. then when they brought my car back i got my cookie as usual and the sa remembered i loved Vanilla Coke so he got a case and left it in my front seat. now that is service. he got a nice "Holiday Gift that year" aka Christmas. lol
Old 11-02-2009, 07:02 PM

C32 AMG
your SA needs to become mine aswell! lol
Old 11-16-2009, 03:57 PM

clk500
Originally Posted by crazyfox
thanks for the pic! i will go and talk to the dealer who said it can't be done! C.C Chan (Service adviser from Richmond auto mall) just wait me there! i am coming!

Originally Posted by JohnCL
These SA's that say it can't be done are just plain lazy and filling their customes full of !!

Glad to help guys.

Hi I was wondering what picture is crazyfox talking about? I have reading through so many pages but I just can't find it. I have been arguing with so many bay area dealerships for the longest time trying to get my xenon set to present!!

I have the menu location list that "steve_bris" posted in the #1109

Is there anything else that I need to bring with me to the dealer so I can get them to set it? I have the oem bi-xenon headlights, they have been waiting for be installed (which I can do myself) and xenon=present for the past 3 months. No bay area dealerships wants to do it for me. any help? Thanks!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Originally Posted by rnsmelody
Hi I was wondering what picture is crazyfox talking about? I have reading through so many pages but I just can't find it. I have been arguing with so many bay area dealerships for the longest time trying to get my xenon set to present!!

I have the menu location list that "steve_bris" posted in the #1109

Is there anything else that I need to bring with me to the dealer so I can get them to set it? I have the oem bi-xenon headlights, they have been waiting for be installed (which I can do myself) and xenon=present for the past 3 months. No bay area dealerships wants to do it for me. any help? Thanks!
Free i am sure someone in your area knows of a kick *** dealer that will hook you up! lol i could give you two that i have found that will do it but they are on the east coast so that is one long drive to get a setting changed GL
Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM

2006 E 350
My $65 Ebay HID's...

Hi All,
just wanted to say firstoff a big thanks to all the members who have been active in the discussion of aftermarket HID's. The numerous posts were a lifesaver! My $65 Ebay HIDS are in, without a flicker, and no error codes. The biggest problem I ran into was the confounded metal retaining clips for the bulbs. Once those were in (I finally adjusted their attitude after repeated colorful metaphors and references to their lineage), the rest was a piece of cake. Thanks again to all. Will post pictures after tonights test drive!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Originally Posted by tjhance
Hi All,
just wanted to say firstoff a big thanks to all the members who have been active in the discussion of aftermarket HID's. The numerous posts were a lifesaver! My $65 Ebay HIDS are in, without a flicker, and no error codes. The biggest problem I ran into was the confounded metal retaining clips for the bulbs. Once those were in (I finally adjusted their attitude after repeated colorful metaphors and references to their lineage), the rest was a piece of cake. Thanks again to all. Will post pictures after tonights test drive!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM

2006 E 350
Pics of the HID install

Here are the pics as promised...Now I am just waiting on my super white led city lights and license plate lights. I was a bit worried about the 8000k not illuminating the road enough after reading some more posts, but after several spirited test drives last night I am very happy with both the overall look, color, and illumination. I didn't have to make any adjustments to the beam level, and noone on the road flashed me!
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits & required setting XENON=PRESENT thread-cimg0187.jpg   Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits & required setting XENON=PRESENT thread-cimg0186.jpg   Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits & required setting XENON=PRESENT thread-cimg0184.jpg  

Last edited by tjhance; 12-10-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Additional Comment: By the way, the glare is not that bad, my cellphone camera just sucks...
Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM

2007 C230 Sport
Now I am just waiting on my super white led city lights and license plate lights.
can you let me know what kind of lights you're ordering? i have some city lights but i'm not 100% happy with them. they seem super dim compared to the HIDs. also, i've not gotten a license plate light yet. help a brother out?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 PM

2007 C230 Sport
btw, what about fogs? i got mine done & like the look. am i a nut for driving around with my fogs on? & did i overdo it by getting my high beams HID as well? what's everyone's thoughts?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:22 PM

2006 E 350
Sorry for the delayed response, I was out to lunch. I just ordered the fogs. Seems I got the bug! I swore after I traded my ridiculously modded Jetta in for this W211 that I would leave it alone. That's workin out real well...

The city lights I got off of Ebay from this guy http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/easylife_go/ here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The license plate lights I got off of Ebay from this guy http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/goodstuffs4u0904/ (best price, most were $75+, these were $32 shipped. Here is the auction link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

So far both of these guys have had great communication, and both items are shipped, so hopefully I can post some pics next week.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 PM

2006 E 350
Originally Posted by kobe1980
btw, what about fogs? i got mine done & like the look. am i a nut for driving around with my fogs on? & did i overdo it by getting my high beams HID as well? what's everyone's thoughts?
Lol - Kobe1980, I just ordered the fogs, but I am curious - do you think the HID's in your highbeams work better than the regular bulbs. The only reason I ask is that I do a considerable amount of driving on the highway at night. And no matter how cool it would look, I refuse to compromise safety at high velocity
Old 12-10-2009, 02:40 PM

2007 C230 Sport
Lol - Kobe1980, I just ordered the fogs, but I am curious - do you think the HID's in your highbeams work better than the regular bulbs. The only reason I ask is that I do a considerable amount of driving on the highway at night. And no matter how cool it would look, I refuse to compromise safety at high velocity

that's a tough question. i've not really done an exhaustive comparison. so that being said, my 2 cents is that the HID high beams not only look cool as hell, but they also work pretty well. when i've used them my field of vision is great. i mean by definition the HID stands for 'high intensity discharge', so for the 'high' beams they should work just nicely. and they seem to.

i really think they are better. but it's just hard for me to say definitely because i didn't have the original bulbs in for too long - i didn't follow the 'scientific method' if you know what i mean. :-p

also, i got lasik surgery a few years ago. i mention this because the type of lasik i got is actually supposed to improve my night vision. and it does.

and i'm with you as far as not compromising safety. i got my lasik surgery after i hit a couple curbs in the volvo s40 i had at the time. my vision wasn't the greatest. now, it's like having new eyes. i see details in the road most people would never see. and, it's painful to hurt one's car on the road. and i don't need to hurt anyone or myself either. definitely safety first.

but like i said by nature these bulbs are brighter and they seem to throw off a nice clean beam so i really want to say they're better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits & required setting XENON=PRESENT thread