C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Electrical problems...dealer opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2009 | 11:12 AM

C230
Electrical problems...dealer opinion

We have been having some issues with our 07 C230 would like to get some others opinions. We have noticed that the display will say that either a left or right blinker is out or a left or right fog light is out, we check it and their fine and working. The radio sometimes will not display anything and you have to kill the car and restart to get it to display, the key fob doesn't roll the windows/sunroof up or down at all, even when your standing right in front of it, light out on drivers visor, right back fog light out......take it to the dealer this morning and they tell me that because I have a cracked pass. miror blinker lens that's the reason I am getting the error messages for the fog and blinkers. I told them they are full of it and they need to keep looking.......anybody have the same type of issues going on and did the dealer fix it? Mine is still under warranty.
Old 09-28-2009 | 11:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
There's only one rear fog light in the back.
Old 09-28-2009 | 12:47 PM

C230
thanks....at least that's not broke.
Old 09-28-2009 | 01:03 PM
Banned

02 C320 Sedan
Key fob for the windows = FAIL

My car has a mind of its own.. its the stupid IF sensors that suck ***..

IF my car sits in the sun to long the sensors won't work its pretty crazy.. but also very gay..

I love when i try to show off this feature and i tell everyone to look and nothing happends its sad..

Theres only 1 fog light in the back after i found that out.. driving on the freeway and someone kept flashing there high beams at me.

( you have an 07 i would take that car to the dealer asap )
Old 09-28-2009 | 01:10 PM

C230
it's at the dealer, they called me this morning and told me because my blinker lens on the pass. side mirror is cracked was why I was getting errors that the fog and blinkers wern't working....I told them that wasn't causing the display to tell me I had a fog light out.....if they find a reason for a problem that isn't related to what the warranty covers they get to charge me $95 dollars, that's why they told me that was causing the problem....I hate to take cars to dealerships, I used to work for one and they stole people blind constantly. I just hope that all the electrical issues doesn't mean something bigger I'm going to have to deal with after the warranty is up.
Old 09-28-2009 | 01:15 PM

2007 ML350
Sorry, my right pass side lens is cracked 'good', and I don't get any erroneous errors! Works okay still too (2002 C230K)

I did get rear license lamp error once or twice for no reason though... that stopped on it's one. Just one week duration.
Old 09-28-2009 | 01:16 PM
Banned

02 C320 Sedan
Well i do know the sensors on the door handles do go bad in the older cars.. i don't know if that was fixed on the newer ones.. It just sucks that most people can roll down there windows from 5-7 feet away when i have to be a small 2 inchs or less with the KEY on the sensor lol..

The bulbs are so easy to replace you should have fixed those yourself a cracked side lens would not show any errors LOL.. Could also be a fuse.. but if your blinkers are not working your car shouldn't be on the street. They have to fix this in order for your car to be safe on the road.
Old 09-28-2009 | 01:40 PM

2007 ML350
What's the command to roll the windows down? Hold unlock? [2002 C230K]
Old 09-28-2009 | 01:43 PM

C230
Maybe I should have been more clear in my post the only lights that don't work are the 2nd rear fog light that doesn't exist and the light above the drivers visor, the only other thing that doesn't work all the time is the radio display and the windows with the key fob (it never works). Even when I've got the messages that the blinkers are out or the fog lights are out, when I get out of the car and check they are working, get in the car and I've got a message that they are out. I'm just affraid it's got some major electrical problems. If it wasn't under warranty and having other issues I would have just changed the bulbs and been done but there seems to be a bigger issue somewhere.
Old 09-28-2009 | 02:08 PM

03 W203, 13 E350, 13 W204, 14 C218
My car acts retarded some days as well. Sometimes it will say my tail light is out, or my my license plate light is out or if my lights aren't on at startup and I am driving and it gets dark it says my low beams are out. (but this probably has something to do with my aftermarket HIDs.
Old 09-28-2009 | 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by krisv420
I love when i try to show off this feature and i tell everyone to look and nothing happends its sad..
Old 09-28-2009 | 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Originally Posted by 1fast68
Maybe I should have been more clear in my post the only lights that don't work are the 2nd rear fog light that doesn't exist and the light above the drivers visor, the only other thing that doesn't work all the time is the radio display and the windows with the key fob (it never works). Even when I've got the messages that the blinkers are out or the fog lights are out, when I get out of the car and check they are working, get in the car and I've got a message that they are out. I'm just affraid it's got some major electrical problems. If it wasn't under warranty and having other issues I would have just changed the bulbs and been done but there seems to be a bigger issue somewhere.
you do know you have to aim the key at the ir sensor to get the windows to roll down. I had a 2006 c230 loaner car a few years ago when my c320 was getting some warranty work done. i planed on buying the new style mirror blinkers but was afraid that i would break the mirror housing on my car. i decided to practice on the loaner car. i took it off and put it back on and when i went to test if it worked it said it wasn't working but it lit up anyway. it did this for like 15 minutes and scared me that i broke the car. then all of a sudden it stopped saying it was out and it didn't do it again for the next three days that i had it. then a few days ago i was out in the country at like 1am and my break light went out. i pulled into a neighborhood as soon as i reached civilization to change it out. it was in fact burned out and i replaced it. i then got back in the car and started it up and it said it was still out. i got out and looked and it was on. i then turned the car off again and restarted and the error was gone. honestly i bet your car is fine a but i would check the mirror for corrosion on the contacts some of the cars seem to have that problem.
Old 09-28-2009 | 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
My car used to tell me that the right mirror blinker was out. It must have had premonitions because three weeks into those false alarms, the mirror blinker did fail. They had to replace the unit.

My car will every now and then tell me I have a license plate light out when I don't. Other than that, no issues.
Old 09-30-2009 | 05:45 AM

c200k
well samaritrey i had the same thing with a break bulb and a licence plate bulb i just took it that it hadn't reset so never thought anymore about it but there yestreday i got out of the car to wash it and as i got to the back i noticed the tail light the licence plate light was flashing but the car was off and it was day time so the follow me home lights weren't on can anyone shed some light on it please
Old 09-30-2009 | 10:08 AM

C230
thanks guys, I did know the end of the key had to face the IR sensor on the door, we've used the feature before.....it worked at the dealer so like krisv420 said though we only used it when it was 100 degress and it was in the sun...isn't that the point of that feature to cool the car off? Oh well, it's working now, the radio had a cooling fan that was broke, there was a fog light not working with they checked it (was working the night before, I made sure before I took it). never got a error for the blinker in the mirror just front blinker. They didn't charge me for anything which I was glad about.
Old 09-30-2009 | 01:07 PM

2007 c230
thanks guys, I did know the end of the key had to face the IR sensor on the door, we've used the feature before.....it worked at the dealer so like krisv420 said though we only used it when it was 100 degress and it was in the sun...isn't that the point of that feature to cool the car off? Oh well, it's working now, the radio had a cooling fan that was broke, there was a fog light not working with they checked it (was working the night before, I made sure before I took it). never got a error for the blinker in the mirror just front blinker. They didn't charge me for anything which I was glad about.

so you would say that everything is fixed? the dealer was right? any issues still?
Old 09-30-2009 | 01:17 PM

C230
it seemed that the various bulbs were just the bulbs, I haven't got any messages about bulbs being out but it happend at various times anyway, so this is a wait and see item. they are ordering a new radio, the remote worked so I have to assume it was because it's just low grade sensors that don't work when hot......i'm more glad that is was individual problems than it just being some major electrical problem.
Old 09-30-2009 | 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
it seemed that the various bulbs were just the bulbs, I haven't got any messages about bulbs being out but it happend at various times anyway, so this is a wait and see item. they are ordering a new radio, the remote worked so I have to assume it was because it's just low grade sensors that don't work when hot......i'm more glad that is was individual problems than it just being some major electrical problem.
my 2001 ir sensors seem to be fine even in hot weather i guess i am just lucky. i do konw that in the older w203 they had front blinker problems because the conteacts for the bulb would get corodied so they made a fix for it, my car has one of them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-2...Q5fAccessories