C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

CRAP, snapped plastic piece in headlamp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CRAP, snapped plastic piece in headlamp

Hi all,

I was replacing the ignitor in my Right HID headlamp in a C320. All was going well until I tried prying off the main reflector which i think is part of the self leveling system.

Here's a pic. There were some part numbers i think on pieces of the self leveling motor, but anyone know where i can get a replacement plastic piece?

Anyone got one to sell?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Wow dude that sucks hope someone can help you. i do know that most members know way more about the bix then the original xenon lights. i assume that the pice that broke is what you are holding in the second picture right? i am going to do some research of my own so i will post back if i find anything useful.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Tab repair kits are available for external tabs but I've never seen any repair parts for the internals because they are considered sealed. I suggest you hope you can get a unit cheap that is smashed beyond reuse & strip the necessary bits or fashion a repair. Only other option is to contact Automotive Lighting direct. This would be easy if you were in Europe.

Steve - our sponsor at MBenzNL might be able to help you if you get stuck. He has worked on so many of these things I'm sure he would have some spares.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Damn that sucks man.. Hope you took your time =/

If you can't find anything.. i wold find some bomb *** super glue or maybe some jb weld
Old 01-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Tab repair kits are available for external tabs but I've never seen any repair parts for the internals because they are considered sealed. I suggest you hope you can get a unit cheap that is smashed beyond reuse & strip the necessary bits or fashion a repair. Only other option is to contact Automotive Lighting direct. This would be easy if you were in Europe.

Steve - our sponsor at MBenzNL might be able to help you if you get stuck. He has worked on so many of these things I'm sure he would have some spares.
Thanks Glynn. I'd love to be able to salvage this bit from a damaged W203. However, i'm pretty sure, it's a 3rd part supplier that makes that entire self leveling mechanism so im trying to find leeds on the manufacturer.

I'm not sure crazy glue will be able to take all the stress' of driving.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by Rev 2 Liv
Thanks Glynn. I'd love to be able to salvage this bit from a damaged W203. However, i'm pretty sure, it's a 3rd part supplier that makes that entire self leveling mechanism so im trying to find leeds on the manufacturer.

As Kris suggested I would use JBWeld. That stuff is pretty strong. Stronger than super/krazy glue.

Think of it this way. I messed up the head of a bolt. I couldn't get it out. I used an allen wrench and glued it on to the bolt with JBWeld and took out the bolt. If that force didn't break the allen wrench off the bolt then the headlight should be fine.

Good Luck
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rev 2 Liv

PM Steve at MBenzNL - It's worth a try. I have no idea how to contact Automotive Lighting in the Czech Republic that made the light.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by Karo
As Kris suggested I would use JBWeld. That stuff is pretty strong. Stronger than super/krazy glue.

Think of it this way. I messed up the head of a bolt. I couldn't get it out. I used an allen wrench and glued it on to the bolt with JBWeld and took out the bolt. If that force didn't break the allen wrench off the bolt then the headlight should be fine.

Good Luck
Damn thats a good way... When i snapped a bolt on my vavle cover i got so scared to drill it out.. i still did it perfectly... but was so scared to mess up..
Old 01-25-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Karo

Good Luck
Push comes to shove, i'll glue the ****er back if I have to. It could be risky since if it breaks, it'll oscillate both the direction of the beam and reflector creating an unwanted light show.

That bracket is the main support for teh self leveling adjustment. Gluing it on off angle could affect beam alignment.

On the plus side, the plastic bits did have model numbers on the side. The broken bit of the self leveler mechanism had a part number of '1301 329 212’

Any leads on manufacturers?

thanks guys. I fixed a problem and created one so i'm 1 for 1!

regards,
Ben
Old 01-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

That P/N comes up with zero
Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
That P/N comes up with zero
Hey Glynn, i think our 'tech' should be penpals. I adore my 55xbr8 too.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Huh! Small world - Yes I love my XBR8 equivalent.

We have a common hobby!!! Both members of the AV Science Forum. Excuse rotten pic from my Canon point & shoot. Also not centered - I'm still hooking up a DVDO Edge.

BTW - the stand is custom. My nextdoor neighbour & I knocked it up in super wood & sprayed it with "Ril" textured paint. Nothing on our market can accommodate a Maggie CC3 center channel. The equipment rack is that black thing on wheels to the right of the picture. I use a 15" Velodyne for the .1 channel firing across the room. 2 more Maggie 3.6s for LR & RR & 2 X MG 10s for center rear. I use a Maggie CC1 for overhead effects. I have a set of black speaker covers for the 55X450A - have not tried them yet.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-26-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
For the glue repair , make sure you rough up the area with some emery paper for improved adhesion.
I use 5 minute "Araldite" which is a two pack epoxy fibreglass resin.
Make sure you have a nice fillet of glue around the join.
You can hold it in place until it sets.
Maximum strength in 24 hours.
Good luck.
The 20 year old Swedish oil tanker I sailed on in the late 1960's was literally held together with this stuff!!( Plastic steel)