C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C200K
Originally Posted by JeT
Which MB kit did you install? You should be able to use any 6310i.
I installed the cradle to the armrest location. As my car is prewired, so I just need to plug in the cradle and phone.
I called up DaimlerChrysler today, the parts department said I do not need to order the Nokia 6310i from them. As long as the phone is 6310i, it will work.

I don't know, probably the Ipod Interface kit is causing the problem?
Because after the Ipod is installed, it can't detect the CD changer anymore.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:32 PM
JeT

Now, I am totally clueless when it comes to the new MOST system...are all the components still connected via a fiber optic loop? Under the pre-2005s I would suggest that you may not have connected the phone in the right place in the loop or you may have connected the fiber optic cable the wrong way. But I am unsure whether your system works that way.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:37 PM

2009 C200K
Originally Posted by JeT
Now, I am totally clueless when it comes to the new MOST system...are all the components still connected via a fiber optic loop? Under the pre-2005s I would suggest that you may not have connected the phone in the right place in the loop or you may have connected the fiber optic cable the wrong way. But I am unsure whether your system works that way.
My car is year 2005 but still I think I should go look for my dealer next week.
Thanks by the way.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
You Stated That You Installed the (PHONE)..in the Armrest..Did You Install the Pse in the rear of the car for the Nokia 6310I?
Was The car Version coded to Phone Present?
I Have The 6310I and It works great..
Old 09-23-2005, 12:48 PM
JeT

Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
You Stated That You Installed the (PHONE)..in the Armrest..Did You Install the Pse in the rear of the car for the Nokia 6310I?
Ah, that's what I forgot! It sounds like he hasn't version coded it. That can only be done by someone with Stardiag.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:50 PM

2009 C200K
Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
I checked with my dealer, my car is fully prewired for the phone. All I need is a cradle and a phone, and then it is all plug and play.
2 months ago when I brought my car to the dealer for the Ipod, I remembered seeing "Phone present" in their Star Diagnostic system. I am not sure if they have disabled it without my knowledge. I am planning to find out.
But funny thing is when i turn my car key, the phone turned on automatically, and there is this little car logo on the phone display. And it charges the battery too. So I guess somewhere is not working right and I still get the NO Phone message.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:54 PM
JeT

No you will get power to the phone regardless of whether it is recognised or not. As far as I know you cannot have the stardiag setting for the phone set to present unless you actually have the phone in the loop (I'm not sure about that though).

Edit: no actually, if the phone was set to "not present" on star diag then the "NO PHONE" message would not even appear. It must be something else.

Last edited by JeT; 09-23-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:07 PM

2009 C200K
Originally Posted by JeT
No you will get power to the phone regardless of whether it is recognised or not. As far as I know you cannot have the stardiag setting for the phone set to present unless you actually have the phone in the loop (I'm not sure about that though).
I agree with you about the phone getting the power.
But he last few times I was at the workshop, i always observed when they were scrolling the menu in the stardiag, and i noticed phone was always set to present. Also, DaimlerChrysler said it is plug and play and i dont' need to go to the dealer to activate it via stardiag.
By the way, I got the cradle from Ebay for about USD100. The phone was a used one from a friend.
Anyway..............no choice but to go to the dealer to find out what is the fault.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
When I got my factory phone installed on my '05 C230, I had to have a Vehicle Core Kit BQ 682 09 06 and C-Class Vehicle Completer Kit BQ 682 09 07 installed in addition to the MB V60 phone.

Pre wired means just that...the main harness is there but the expensive parts aren't. That is why it is an option.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Cell Phone Components:
Linear Compensator (Handles the RF signal between your handset and the car antenna, a black box)
RF Switch (switches the antenna to the phone, another black box)
Multiple Handset Interface (couples the phone audio and data to the MOST ring, black box)
Handset Cradle (connects the phone to the car wiring.)
All except cradle are mounted on Module Bridge (in the forward part of the trunk)
Antenna mast (The puppy dog tail)

In addition to the cradle you need the other "black" boxes in the trunk to handle the calls. The fiber optic MOST ring needs to be connected with the outputs and inputs in a circle so everything can talk to everything. The order of the ring is important too. The wiring is there, and enough MOST fiber cables for every situation. You do not need to change the version coding if you get a "No Phone" message on the head unit.

The part numbers are correct as quoted by Capt Paul above. If you don't have those parts shown above, get out your checkbook, it's gonna smoke!

With regards to your Ipod kit and the CD changer, I think they did not move the MOST fiber cables from the radio connector to the I pod 'Y' cable connector when installing the Ipod kit. It is just a little oppsadoodle, but you have to take the center console apart to check on the MOST fiber cables.

Good luck.

Last edited by Moviela; 09-23-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:02 AM

2009 C200K
Originally Posted by Moviela
Cell Phone Components:
Linear Compensator (Handles the RF signal between your handset and the car antenna, a black box)
RF Switch (switches the antenna to the phone, another black box)
Multiple Handset Interface (couples the phone audio and data to the MOST ring, black box)
Handset Cradle (connects the phone to the car wiring.)
All except cradle are mounted on Module Bridge (in the forward part of the trunk)
Antenna mast (The puppy dog tail)

In addition to the cradle you need the other "black" boxes in the trunk to handle the calls. The fiber optic MOST ring needs to be connected with the outputs and inputs in a circle so everything can talk to everything. The order of the ring is important too. The wiring is there, and enough MOST fiber cables for every situation. You do not need to change the version coding if you get a "No Phone" message on the head unit.

The part numbers are correct as quoted by Capt Paul above. If you don't have those parts shown above, get out your checkbook, it's gonna smoke!

With regards to your Ipod kit and the CD changer, I think they did not move the MOST fiber cables from the radio connector to the I pod 'Y' cable connector when installing the Ipod kit. It is just a little oppsadoodle, but you have to take the center console apart to check on the MOST fiber cables.

Good luck.
Wow, that was a very detailed explanation. Thanks.
I believe the prewire done in my country may be slightly different from the cars sold in the USA. As my dealer and the spare parts department has confirmed that my car only need a cradle and phone.

Somewhere must not be properly done and is causing a No CD changer message too. Which may also lead to problems detecting the phone.

I am going to meet my buddy, Formula1, to see what happens if I plug my cradle and phone to his car.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
The order of the MOST ring is not important at all. (except when mixing TV with Harmon Kardon in a C and CLK).

If the ring was mixed in such a way so as to cause an INPUT fibre (fiber) to be inserted into the position of module OUTPUT then the signals would clash and the radio and all other MOST devices would shut down.

The only thing I can imagine is that the blue plug in the dual connector cable (blue and black plugs) was accidentally inserted incorrectly.

The problem can also be associated with a non-connection of the MOST ring to the control unit and having only a power + data connection between control unit and phone. In Australia we have UHI and in the USA there is also MHI.

The controller can be installed and the armrest connected and everything will work fine but there will be no data connection to the rest of the car. So if this disconnection is at the head unit (because of the iPod install) or phone module - that is where I would be looking.

Last edited by benzmodz; 09-24-2005 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:01 AM

2009 C200K
Originally Posted by benzmodz
The order of the MOST ring is not important at all. (except when mixing TV with Harmon Kardon in a C and CLK).

If the ring was mixed in such a way so as to cause an INPUT fibre (fiber) to be inserted into the position of module OUTPUT then the signals would clash and the radio and all other MOST devices would shut down.

The only thing I can imagine is that the blue plug in the dual connector cable (blue and black plugs) was accidentally inserted incorrectly.

The problem can also be associated with a non-connection of the MOST ring to the control unit and having only a power + data connection between control unit and phone. In Australia we have UHI and in the USA there is also MHI.

The controller can be installed and the armrest connected and everything will work fine but there will be no data connection to the rest of the car. So if this disconnection is at the head unit (because of the iPod install) or phone module - that is where I would be looking.
Thanks Benzmodz, that is a good suggestion.
I am going to bring this up the the workshop to see if it helps.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by HakkinenL
Thanks Benzmodz, that is a good suggestion.
I am going to bring this up the the workshop to see if it helps.
In reality the lack of phone module in the AGW (audio gateway) proves that there is no phone module visible. Then the problem is at the module end. If nothing is visible apart from the head unit then the problem is a bad polarity of the optics or a open link in the loop.

Here is a sample of what a valid configuration of the AGW would look like if it was working properly as seen in the diagnostic.
Attached Thumbnails UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread-sim2.jpg   UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread-sim3.jpg   UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread-sim4.jpg  
Old 09-24-2005, 11:25 AM

2009 C200K
In reality the lack of phone module in the AGW (audio gateway) proves that there is no phone module visible. Then the problem is at the module end. If nothing is visible apart from the head unit then the problem is a bad polarity of the optics or a open link in the loop.

Here is a sample of what a valid configuration of the AGW would look like if it was working properly as seen in the diagnostic.
From your stardiag, i should be looking for CDC & CTEL, right?
If any of those 2 does not appear, it will mean that module is not working?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by HakkinenL
From your stardiag, i should be looking for CDC & CTEL, right?
If any of those 2 does not appear, it will mean that module is not working?
That is only a sample. You should see all the options that are optical.

- Teleaid
- Voice control
- TV
- CDC
- Phone
- SDAR (sat radio)
- Premium sound system

Are all possible inclusions.

If you have something that doesnt appear then it means it is not in the optical loop. Has been left out as stated in the previous posts.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:55 PM

2009 C200K
That is only a sample. You should see all the options that are optical.

- Teleaid
- Voice control
- TV
- CDC
- Phone
- SDAR (sat radio)
- Premium sound system

Are all possible inclusions.

If you have something that doesnt appear then it means it is not in the optical loop. Has been left out as stated in the previous posts.
OK, I remember seeing CDC and Phone the last time I was there. I am going to look out for CDC and Phone again this time.
Thanks! You have been of great help!
Old 09-25-2005, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I would respectfully disagree. In order for the ring to function properly, the master (AGW or HU) MUST know the number of components on the ring and ORDER of those components with respect to the master. Improper version coding and/or incorrect sequencing of components may result in intermittent or abnormal operation of the ring.

The master will attempt RING START, and if not sucessful after 2.5 seconds, master will retry. The master will try nine times. If you don't get RING LOCK you can use this information to observe nine flashes of light on the output fiber optic cable, when power is applied. It then becomes a simple task to find the offending cable or component.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Moviela
I would respectfully disagree. In order for the ring to function properly, the master (AGW or HU) MUST know the number of components on the ring and ORDER of those components with respect to the master. Improper version coding and/or incorrect sequencing of components may result in intermittent or abnormal operation of the ring.

The master will attempt RING START, and if not sucessful after 2.5 seconds, master will retry. The master will try nine times. If you don't get RING LOCK you can use this information to observe nine flashes of light on the output fiber optic cable, when power is applied. It then becomes a simple task to find the offending cable or component.
Well I was working on the assumption that when I code the ring it codes as it is. I dont need to know or want to know the order apart from one thing I did neglect to point out and can correct here.

Ring order matters for
---------------------
- Linguatronic must always be in front of Phone
- Harmon Kardon is sensitive to the position of the TV tuner in C and CLK

What happens, why it happens, how it happens is all cleverly handled by Star Diagnose. IT looks at what is KNOWN (left) and what is ACTUAL (right) and asks you if that is what you want to store. There is no need to manually key in the actual setup.

Furthermore, if the order is stored in a car like an E, CLK or C (MOST version) and the ring contents are lost for whatever reason then the head unit shuts down directly after booting and initial attempts to talk to the whole ring.

So if you had a CD changer and then removed it (and closed the optical loop afterwards) the head unit may still shutdown because it cant find a device and the AGW reports a number of errors.

It just happens that in the C, CLK, A, M, Smart the AGW is part of the front head unit.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:17 AM

2003 C180K
Any Nokia 6310i will work. It doesn't need to be a version issued by a MB dealer. I have a Nokia 6310i and 6210, neither of which were purchased through the dealer which both work in my 2003 C180K with a factory fitted hands free unit.
About a week ago with my 6310i installed in the hands free unit, the display indicated NO PHONE, however swapping to my 6210, the display indicated the name of my mobile phone service provider and everything operated correctly. I think that my problem is with the phone, not the car's hands free unit as the 6310i was OK today.

Last edited by gilland; 09-25-2005 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 09-25-2005, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by gilland
Any Nokia 6310i will work. It doesn't need to be a version issued by a MB dealer. I have a Nokia 6310i and 6210, neither of which were purchased through the dealer which both work in my 2003 C180K with a factory fitted hands free unit.
About a week ago with my 6310i installed in the hands free unit, the display indicated NO PHONE, however swapping to my 6210, the display indicated the name of my mobile phone service provider and everything operated correctly. I think that my problem is with the phone, not the car's hands free unit as the 6310i was OK today.
There are 3 things to be accounted for
--------------------------------------
- the version of the phone *#0000# tells you. It needs to be the best version available.
- the version of the cradle
- the version of the controller in the trunk area.

Obviously if one of these items is not up to scratch then it will generate all sorts of meaningless errors.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:06 PM

2009 C200K
So what do you think was the problem with your phone?
Old 09-25-2005, 01:19 PM

2009 C200K
There are 3 things to be accounted for
--------------------------------------
- the version of the phone *#0000# tells you. It needs to be the best version available.
- the version of the cradle
- the version of the controller in the trunk area.

Obviously if one of these items is not up to scratch then it will generate all sorts of meaningless errors.
What is the best version available for the phone?
Old 09-26-2005, 10:50 AM

2003 C180K
I'm not sure. A few peculiar things have happened with it lately such as keys not working. I turn it off then on again and its OK.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:13 AM

2009 C200K
I'm not sure. A few peculiar things have happened with it lately such as keys not working. I turn it off then on again and its OK.
Today I plugged in my phone and cradle to Formula1's car. IT WORKED !

So I now believe what is causing all these problems:
IPOD INTERFACE KIT

I am going to ask this in Audio & electronics forum to see if anyone has any problems after installing the Ipod kit.

Thanks again everyone for your help !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread