C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-20-2003, 08:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML320 CDI
UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread

Motorola, Mercedes-Benz interface on phones
By: Jørgen Sundgot, Monday 17th March 2003, 10:42 GMT

With the introduction of a new product that will be available in Mercedes-Benz vehicles in the CLK, SL, C and M series from June 2003, Motorola will provide a universal interface for mobile phone use in cars. For the first time, Mercedes will be providing a Universal Handy Interface (UHI) developed by Motorola, aiming to make it possible to use mobile telephones from various leading manufacturers in one vehicle.

To use the system, a mobile phone is placed in a special cradle which is connected with the telephone control unit. The mobile phone is then linked with the on-board network and can be operated using the multi-functional steering wheel, hands-free system and a proprietary operating system developed by Motorola called COMAND. An additional display system (combi-display) will be placed on the dashboard of the vehicle, and allows for reading and editing of SMS messages through COMAND.

Additionally, a hands-free system will operate using the vehicle's on-board audio system which the two companies say will provide improved speech quality courtesy of an integrated microphone underneath the interior roof light. Upon replacing their mobile phone, customers will be able to obtain the appropriate cradle from Mercedes-Benz Accessories and exchange it themselves. Installation of the Universal Handy Interface into other Mercedes-Benz automobile series is planned for 2004.

Source
Old 03-20-2003, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4matic
So does this mean that I will be able to use my non-MB V60 in the car and everything will work??

Well, regardless, I'm sure it won't be any cheaper. It will probably be the same old kit plus this new thing and cost even more money. But I guess you can save something by not buying the V60 from MB for however much it is going for now, probably between $500-750.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
is this bluetooth? doesn't sound like it. the entire industry is going bluetooth, if MB goes with a proprietary system, they will continue to have very low sales of this system.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
cool. i know that the audio10 doesnt work with motorla phones, or so im told. but will i still be able to use the steering wheel controls and so on. id like it to be bluetooth, if not either way its cool. then i can use my T720, which has the same data and power connections as the V60. i hope its compatible with the Audio10, if its not i may even consider replacing my stock head unit with my audio10, so i can use my phone in the car.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by nyca
is this bluetooth? doesn't sound like it. the entire industry is going bluetooth, if MB goes with a proprietary system, they will continue to have very low sales of this system.
I belive it should be bluetooth enabled. But that might only be the next gen COMAND system.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:39 AM

This "new" system has been around since about 2000/2001. It was originally developed by a company called Cellport (www.cellport.com). Motorola has licensed Cellport's technology and both Cellport and Motorola are producing systems for OEMs. Ford is using Cellport based systems in their Lincolns, as is Jaguar. This is a great system because you can use virtually any modern cell phone and have all of the system's features working with whatever phone you use. A "Pocket Adapter", using Cellport's terminology, essentially a phone cradle, is the interface between the cell phone and system. Changing phones requires only a new pocket adapter, about $70 bucks or so.

You can but this system from the aftermarket and put it in any car. It won't be as full featured as a dedicated OEM install, but you will still have voice control and, depending upon your radio, an auto mute feature.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML320 CDI
$70? I can beat that:

$9.95
Old 03-21-2003, 11:40 AM

Wow! $99 to $9.95.

I've personally tried every earpiece, microphone and other misc gagets to make cell phone use in-car a better experience. So far, I have not found anything short of a hard-install product like cellport or an OEM system to be worth beans. I have a phone in my ear constantly and sound quality is the most important thing to me. Cost is literally meaningless. Conference calls, client calls, bla bla bla, are far to critical to be wrecked with poor sound quality. For casual use, these OEM systems are overkill. But for serious business use, the gagging cost of these systems is worth 1-2 hours a day of additional productivity. Which means I get home to the family 1-2 hours earlier!
Old 03-21-2003, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Talking

Hang up and DRIVE!
Old 07-29-2003, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Lightbulb Motorola, Mercedes-Benz interface on phones

I wonder if this is already available?

-----------------------------

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3247.html

-----------------------------

Motorola, Mercedes-Benz interface on phones
By: Jørgen Sundgot, Monday 17th March 2003, 10:42 GMT

With the introduction of a new product that will be available in Mercedes-Benz vehicles in the CLK, SL, C and M series from June 2003, Motorola will provide a universal interface for mobile phone use in cars. For the first time, Mercedes will be providing a Universal Handy Interface (UHI) developed by Motorola, aiming to make it possible to use mobile telephones from various leading manufacturers in one vehicle.

To use the system, a mobile phone is placed in a special cradle which is connected with the telephone control unit. The mobile phone is then linked with the on-board network and can be operated using the multi-functional steering wheel, hands-free system and a proprietary operating system developed by Motorola called COMAND. An additional display system (combi-display) will be placed on the dashboard of the vehicle, and allows for reading and editing of SMS messages through COMAND.

Additionally, a hands-free system will operate using the vehicle's on-board audio system which the two companies say will provide improved speech quality courtesy of an integrated microphone underneath the interior roof light. Upon replacing their mobile phone, customers will be able to obtain the appropriate cradle from Mercedes-Benz Accessories and exchange it themselves. Installation of the Universal Handy Interface into other Mercedes-Benz automobile series is planned for 2004.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
that would be nice .... thanks for article too!
Old 07-29-2003, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Wow that's nice. Where can I get one? From the dealers?
Old 07-30-2003, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
this has been posted eaerlier also. No news yet. I believe the S class has the bluetooth option now though.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:51 AM

2006 R350 Pewter/Black - 2007 GL450 Iridium Silver/Ash
This would be nice! Anyone know what it will be priced at?
Old 07-30-2003, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This was reported a few months ago, but I haven't seen any details on it since.....and my dealer is clueless. Anyone have any further info?
Old 07-30-2003, 10:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Hands Free Phone Kits

vadim's post about a possible phone interface brought up another question. Has anyone here installed an after-market Hands-Free kit in their car? If so, what kind was it, where did they have it installed, and what was the price? If you have pics, that would be great as well.

I currently have a Motorola V66g phone and would like to get a decent hands free kit for it.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:35 AM
rrf

Go to your Motorola dealer (Verizon or ATT or whoever) and get the Motorola "Professional Handsfree" kit: CPU box, speaker, mic and phone cable for V66, approx $140. Opt for the cradle (if you plan on drilling somewhere to mount it). $40?. I bought a T720 cradle, but never used it, I just stick my phone in the bin below the radio, just one wire hangs out the bottom of the phone.

Mount the mic above the rear mirror, mount the speaker and CPU under the passenger seat. Attach the mute wire to the radio and you are basically done. Forget the other MB wiring, addtional antenna and adapters. $$$$ and why bother, ... your cell works fine with its antenna (as is) when in the car?

The V66 is a voice activated dialer so that is nicely integrated.
Push a button on the phone, radio automatically mutes, you say "Home" and phone dials. When done, radio comes back on.
Also, phone is always charged correctly.

Good mod to get. Easy DIY install. But Motorola instructions are very basic.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
If you have a bluetooth-enabled phone, you may want to try one of the Parrot products: DriveBlue plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and doesn't require anything else - not even taking your phone out of the pocket/bag/whatever, or their more advanced CK3000 - which is supposed to be installed like any other speakerphone system. It also interfaces with the phone via bluetooth, has sophisticated echo and ambient noise cancellation features and its own phone book with voice dialling capabilities.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Hands Free Phone Kits

Originally posted by revstriker
vadim's post about a possible phone interface brought up another question. Has anyone here installed an after-market Hands-Free kit in their car? If so, what kind was it, where did they have it installed, and what was the price? If you have pics, that would be great as well.

I currently have a Motorola V66g phone and would like to get a decent hands free kit for it.
I am still trying to decide between Parrot CK3000 or Siemens Car Kit Pro. In the meantime, I'm using a SonyEricsson bluetooth headset HBH-60, which is a nice little gadget that you wear on your ear - very light and does its job very nicely, for the most part.

Last edited by vadim; 08-01-2003 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hmmm....anyone?

details? pricing? availability?
Old 08-01-2003, 12:46 PM

W203 C SportsCoupe
Originally posted by rrf

Push a button on the phone, radio automatically mutes, you say "Home" and phone dials. When done, radio comes back on.
Does the MB Audio 10 has the mute function ,I was told the radio display "PHONE" when you answer a call.
Does it work on yours.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 SLK 320
Anyone know of a good kit for covertibles. Have any SLK 320 and have problems with hearing with regular phone let alone hands free. Anyone ever try one with success?
Old 08-01-2003, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally posted by WHOISYOURDADDY
Anyone know of a good kit for covertibles. Have any SLK 320 and have problems with hearing with regular phone let alone hands free. Anyone ever try one with success?
Isn't your sig from Pool Hall Junkies?

Erik
Old 08-01-2003, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Zoid
Does the MB Audio 10 has the mute function ,I was told the radio display "PHONE" when you answer a call.
Does it work on yours.
Yes, it does. A3 (the bottom plug) is what you need - see the diagram attached. It is ground activated (mutes the sound when connected to the ground).
Attached Thumbnails UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread-mb_hu_pinout.jpg  
Old 08-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by rrf
Go to your Motorola dealer (Verizon or ATT or whoever) and get the Motorola "Professional Handsfree" kit: CPU box, speaker, mic and phone cable for V66, approx $140. Opt for the cradle (if you plan on drilling somewhere to mount it). $40?. I bought a T720 cradle, but never used it, I just stick my phone in the bin below the radio, just one wire hangs out the bottom of the phone.

Mount the mic above the rear mirror, mount the speaker and CPU under the passenger seat. Attach the mute wire to the radio and you are basically done. Forget the other MB wiring, addtional antenna and adapters. $$$$ and why bother, ... your cell works fine with its antenna (as is) when in the car?

Good mod to get. Easy DIY install. But Motorola instructions are very basic.
This sounds like what I was looking for. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread