C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Major leak under the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Major leak under the car

My car has started leaking a greenish, oily fluid from underneath. Tends to happen mainly when I dont use the car for a few days...

Ive checked the oil level using the electronic dipstick...level is OK. Checked the power steering fluid level using the dipstick and that seems to be constant as well.

What else could it be? Transmission possibly...but isnt the transmission fluid reddish in color? I havent had a chance to lift the car up and drop the splash protectors to see where the leak is from...ill do that soon and post up some pictures

Meanwhile any help is appreciated guys.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
What color is your coolant? Quite often, it is green so it could be a combination of ATF and coolant. From what I've read here, the had been a problem with the transmission fluid cooler that allowed engine coolant into the tranny. I would have it looked at at your first opportunity.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the coolant is green...but I was pretty sure I had the BEHR radiator, in which case the coolant mixing with tranny fluid problem wouldnt apply to me.

I guess I better take a second look and confirm..
Old 12-27-2010, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 c240
I mistaken my tranny fluid for oil when it was leaking out of the electrical bush. If the tranny fluid is old enough and does't create a deep puddle it can look dark brown on pavement. You should look there just in case, it's a common place for it to leak.

take a look at this site to see where the common leak occurs. http://www.installuniversity.com/mb/...on-o-ring.html
Old 12-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 2002
Originally Posted by ncmudbug
What color is your coolant? Quite often, it is green so it could be a combination of ATF and coolant. From what I've read here, the had been a problem with the transmission fluid cooler that allowed engine coolant into the tranny. I would have it looked at at your first opportunity.
The coolant should not be green~ The coolant in our cars should be yellow / the color of pee..

Green leaking under the car is most likely to be ATF fluid.. ATF fluid should be red but turns burnt after a while.. If fluid is left unchanged it will have a green hue to it..
Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Used tranny fluid can look like this once oxidised.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So finally found some time and had this issue checked out.

Turns out its an oil leak (phew). The guy who was looking at it first said that its the oil pan gasket thats leaking. Then upon examining it a bit more, found that the oil had splashed across the side of the motor, and had flown down to the oil pan mimicking an oil pan gasket leak.

Now he said he needs to wash and steam clean the entire side of the engine to remove all the residue, then drive the car and figure out exactly where the oil is leaking from.

Do you guys know what are the common culprits for oil leaks other than the oil pan/oil pan gasket?

Im so relieved its not a transmission pan leak....got my tranny fluid flushed today as well...hello smoother shifts!!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 2002
Originally Posted by jcnash
So finally found some time and had this issue checked out.

Turns out its an oil leak (phew). The guy who was looking at it first said that its the oil pan gasket thats leaking. Then upon examining it a bit more, found that the oil had splashed across the side of the motor, and had flown down to the oil pan mimicking an oil pan gasket leak.

Now he said he needs to wash and steam clean the entire side of the engine to remove all the residue, then drive the car and figure out exactly where the oil is leaking from.

Do you guys know what are the common culprits for oil leaks other than the oil pan/oil pan gasket?

Im so relieved its not a transmission pan leak....got my tranny fluid flushed today as well...hello smoother shifts!!
What type of oil are you using.. Incorrect oil will cause pan gasket to leak ( Known from exp )
Old 01-04-2011, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
There are LOTS of places for oil to leak that are probably more likely than the oil pan - such as the cam cover, PVC, etc. After it's clean you can try to watch it and catch it as it starts to leak. It might be more obvious then.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 AM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
Originally Posted by jcnash
Oil filler cap gasket, crankcase ventilation chambers, oil level sender unit, timing case cover plate gasket, oilFilter-to-timingCase gasket, aluminum o-ring on the timing chain tensioner, ...

In my opinion, pan gasket is the least likely cause.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Xhale707
What type of oil are you using.. Incorrect oil will cause pan gasket to leak ( Known from exp )
I used the recommended Mobil 1 0W-40.

Originally Posted by ncmudbug
There are LOTS of places for oil to leak that are probably more likely than the oil pan - such as the cam cover, PVC, etc. After it's clean you can try to watch it and catch it as it starts to leak. It might be more obvious then.
Originally Posted by pcy
Oil filler cap gasket, crankcase ventilation chambers, oil level sender unit, timing case cover plate gasket, oilFilter-to-timingCase gasket, aluminum o-ring on the timing chain tensioner, ...

In my opinion, pan gasket is the least likely cause.
Sounds like the best option is what the mechanic suggested...clean the engine and watch for leaks to identify the source...