C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: What Tires are the best?
Goodyear
5.92%
Toyo
7.89%
Michelin
39.44%
Continental
12.11%
Falken
7.04%
Pirelli
12.11%
Other
15.49%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

W203/CL203/S203 TIRE Discussion Thread - Every question on TIRES

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by 91RS
That sounds like the tires are feathering. Have you had an alignment recently? If not, I would suggest getting one because that is probably your issue.
+1

My front tires are doing the same thing so i switched them to the back to bad my steering wheel shakes like a **** now.. gotta take it in and get it aligned. Local Shop prices?
Old 05-03-2009, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Is you left torque strut bushing leaking?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Nope not mine
Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SLK 55 AMG
How would I know this?

There's nothing leaking from the underside of the car if that means anything.

I said I'd take a photo to show, but my lazy self forgot.

I don't know if putting more air into it has or will stop the shredding, but I don't know how else to check without it deteriorating more ...
I put more air into the tire before my 70mile drive to Davis from SF, and I haven't noticed more 'shredding'
But I can't really tell in the dark, but it 'seems' there's more 'feathering' in the middle now than before =/
It's rough when I brush UP on it. (The middle of the tire)

I'll probably go in for Service A after a little bit more research into what Service A is for now, and at the same time get this problem checked out for the money I'm spending =/
Apparently it's just a super expensive oil change, and a few filters?

I hear it's around the range of 2~300$ ???
That's outrageous from what I hear
Old 05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by iJimpanzee
How would I know this?...
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...d-i-worry.html Also lift the tire off the ground and grab it at 12:00 and 6:00, then at 3:00 and 9:00 and wobble it as hard as you can. If anything is loose it should make noise. Service A is nothing more than checking fluids and changing the oil.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:31 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...d-i-worry.html Also lift the tire off the ground and grab it at 12:00 and 6:00, then at 3:00 and 9:00 and wobble it as hard as you can. If anything is loose it should make noise. Service A is nothing more than checking fluids and changing the oil.
Thanks for the link / what to do.
I don't have a jack handy, but I'll get on that asap.

Here's a link of what I searched up online, and I seem to have...
Major 1 / 3, and starting to get 2?
And I've come to think that it's due to not rotating the wheel/tire?
Can we do tire rotations on our cars? Maybe I've had it too long in the front?
Service A doesn't even include tire rotation? Deeeam.
"You don't stop paying for your mercedes after you leave the dealer." - ???
Really fits everytime

Here are some pictures I finally got around to taking:
(I apologize in advance if they're too big. Taken with the only camera available: iPhone)

First Photo: Shows the extent of the sides wearing down like crazy, and 'feathering' of the middle. All of the other tires are still... like new

Second Photo: Shows the extent of just how worn down the side is.. And the stock rim for reference.
(Sorry the rims is kinda' dirty. Drove ~400 miles since the last wash: 3 weeks ago, and it's currently foggy/wet out)

Third Photo: Inner corner 'feathering'

Fourth: Shows the 'feathering' of the inner line. (Look for the middle, then the 3 dark spots that have something sticking out of them)
Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
I've never seen anything like that before. Maybe a manufacturing defect Did yo get a chance to rock the tire and check for loose wheel/suspension pieces?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
worn shock, improper alightment, etc... something is wrong with your suspension if the tires are fairly new (not rotting)
Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Get it on an alignment machine quick - something is buggered up. What mileage on that tyre? - Don't rotate until sorted - you will just ruin another tyre. I'm suspicious that you have a badly compounded tyre.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:03 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
I've never seen anything like that before. Maybe a manufacturing defect Did yo get a chance to rock the tire and check for loose wheel/suspension pieces?
Manufacturing defect of the tire, right?
I haven't had a chance to 'rock' the tire yet.
I'm currently in Davis for school, and I don't know what to do yet.
Most likely take it in to the closest dealer soon =/
Midterm friday is taking up most of my time studying though ..

Originally Posted by AzCamel
worn shock, improper alightment, etc... something is wrong with your suspension if the tires are fairly new (not rotting)
I bought this car 3ish months ago, and noticed the tire starting to look like that... 1 month and two weeks ago, and eventually it just got really bad like for the past two weeks
I would've taken more care of it if I thought it was serious. I just thought I must've driven over some really crappy road.
I have to check the paperwork portfolio to see how old the tire is.

Should I go into the dealership to get this checked out?

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Get it on an alignment machine quick - something is buggered up. What mileage on that tyre? - Don't rotate until sorted - you will just ruin another tyre. I'm suspicious that you have a badly compounded tyre.
Uhm, do they check for alignment during Service A if I mention it to them?
The mileage can't be any more than 18k miles. And I've drive about ~2.5k since I've bought the car 3ish months ago. But I will get an exact mileage as soon as I can get back to SF and take a look at the paperwork.

What's a 'compounded tire' ?

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 05-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Please check the tie rod end for play, It's the only thing that should give you wear on both sides of the tyre if it has play.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Please check the tie rod end for play, It's the only thing that should give you wear on both sides of the tyre if it has play.
+1. Also, what tire pressure are your tires inflated to? Do you have any vibration in the steering wheel?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
What's the easiest way to do this?
Taking off the wheel?

Originally Posted by johnand
+1. Also, what tire pressure are your tires inflated to? Do you have any vibration in the steering wheel?
I put some more air into it friday night, because my tires looked like they were sagging, and everyone said they looked like they were low on air =/
I went by eye call, so I don't have an exact psi.

But on the 80mile drive up from sf -> davis, I noticed:
(Post-gas station pumping air myself)

Slight, very slight natural driving to the right side of the road with my hands off the wheel. But I don't know if it's because of winds/natural curve of the road, or whatever..

I've also noticed that there's this weird.. I guess 'Vibration' is the best way to put it near the lower right side of the steering wheel. More so than the left side.
I don't know if the vibration was there before or not, but I was super paranoid and sad on the drive up instead of my usual -self whenever I get into my car

Within the next 1 or 2 weeks I really want:
-To get this problem fixed for peace of mind...
-Find a dealer with a reasonable customer service for Service A
all while (I checked online for all the local dealers near SF and Davis/Sacramento, and all if not most of them had 1 out of 5 stars )
without paying an absurd amount of money

-oh'yeah, and pass my midterms round II !!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Alignment is not part of Service A. You can go to an independent alignment shop. Compounding is the rubber compound that is used to make the tyre. Sometimes they have a bad batch of rubber or badly cured rubber. This leads to poor wear & abrasion resistance & other failings.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
Alignment is not part of Service A. You can go to an independent alignment shop. Compounding is the rubber compound that is used to make the tyre. Sometimes they have a bad batch of rubber or badly cured rubber. This leads to poor wear & abrasion resistance & other failings.

Hrm. So depending on the mileage of the tire; could I expect pirelli (the tire manufacturer) to warranty it or something?

But I will go to an indy shop to get this checked out asap.
I read reviews on one in Davis that's actually quite good!
In fact... most of the shops here are good due to the fact that Davis is such a small community that... if they give bad service, people actually know and see them around.

If I haven't said it more than once, I'll say it again:
Thanks for all the help
Super Moderator

Your vibration is likely caused by this tyre. Your slight pull right is caused by castor angles. You need one degree more castor on the RHS than the LHS to stop this - Typical readings 9.4 degrees left 10.4 degrees right.
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Put your spare on. Give it the shake test. Watch the spare closely for wear. Be careful to use the correct wheel bolts with the spare (spare tire = steel rim and uses shorter bolts than alloy rims.)
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Yes - Pirelli would give you discount on a new tyre. Jack up the wheel - grab it at a quarter to three & shake it backwards & forwards - get someone to watch the tie rod end ball joint for play.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
what's the production date of the tire? look on the side wall. there should a four digit number in ().
Old 05-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by iJimpanzee
I put some more air into it friday night, because my tires looked like they were sagging, and everyone said they looked like they were low on air =/
I went by eye call, so I don't have an exact psi.
Ok, you really need to invest in a decent tire pressure gauge. Looking at the sidewall is definitely not the right way to judge the correct air pressure in the tire.

Granted based on your pics low air pressure in not 100% of the problem, but I bet it is a good portion of it. But, I still suspect you have something worn or loose in the suspension, or as others have pointed out, a defective tire.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05.C230K.SS
Today, I got a chance to talk to a rep about affordable tires. I mentioned the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric's (recommended by Glyn )to him, and he said that for a regular c230 (non-AMG), you wouldn't need to spend that much on premium tires like the Goodyears.

He then offered me a couple of other brands, including:
Falken 452
Nitto 555
Yokohama (don't remember the series)

again, I'ma be running 19"s staggered, so I'm just wondering are those tire brands "too cheap" to put on a w203, compared with premium (Michelin, Toyo, Goodyear) tire brands?

and again, im looking primarily for quiet, long last tread life, and reasonable grip.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by johnand
...Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus..Wow, these tires are fantastic!...
Appreciate your comparative and insightful post, johnand.

Didn’t get my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus installed for that price, but my tire dealer swaps MacPherson strut springs and suspension bushings gratis.

They are fine tires. Driven on 'em ~4500 miles since last November. Excellent in the wet, which those in the Pacific Northwest experience more frequently than some of us. When on winter holiday in our local mountains, they handled ~three inches of the white stuff sans drama. Absolutely straight, true, and vibration-free at triple digit speeds. They’re a little soft in their compounding, but that’s not unexpected owing to its all-season design criteria. Very controllable and forgiving at the limit. Almost enough grip, too. I’ll be darned pleased if they’ll go 15,000 miles. The accounting department rebuffed my request for a dedicated track day and canyon run set of PS2’s this year.

Nonetheless, they’re excellent tires which have been highly recommended by myriad knowledgeable enthusiasts.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

Treadware comparison between different brands not valid

Manufacturers meeting DOT/UTQG requirements for treadware claims only test against tires in their own stable & NOT against their competition - this has limitations as a result, making comparison between brands invalid - therefore:

"The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear of a tire when tested carefully under controlled conditions. For example the useful tread on a tire graded 400 should last twice as long as a tire graded 200. However, another tire manufacturer may grade a comparable design/compound 300, so a grade of 150 would last just half as long under their grading scheme. The lesson learned is to not use one manufacturer's grade versus the other, but instead to compare tire grades within a given brand."

Excuse typo - too late to change - heading should read "Treadwear"

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 05-05-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05.C230K.SS
Originally Posted by rocafel1a
Today, I got a chance to talk to a rep about affordable tires. I mentioned the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric's (recommended by Glyn )to him, and he said that for a regular c230 (non-AMG), you wouldn't need to spend that much on premium tires like the Goodyears.

He then offered me a couple of other brands, including:
Falken 452
Nitto 555
Yokohama (don't remember the series)

again, I'ma be running 19"s staggered, so I'm just wondering are those tire brands "too cheap" to put on a w203, compared with premium (Michelin, Toyo, Goodyear) tire brands?

and again, im looking primarily for quiet, long last tread life, and reasonable grip.
bump! before i finalize my decision! thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 04:09 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by rocafel1a
bump! before i finalize my decision! thanks
Falkens will do you just fine out of those.

or you can check out tirerack right now and see if they have the Hankook S1 EVO in the size you want. They have a massive sale going on for those right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203/S203 TIRE Discussion Thread - Every question on TIRES