C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Poor acceleration CL203 - C200K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL203 coupe sport 200K
Unhappy Poor acceleration CL203 - C200K

Hello all!

I am new in this forum and I hope that the question is posted in the right way.
I am a bit disappointed because of a long time searching without any correct answer from MB dealers, so I would like to get some help from some of you if possible. As I am not an English native speaker, please be indulgent.

My car is a sport coupé C200K with 2.0 litre engine with about 111000 km.

For a while, I lack acceleration power. My car seems to have only 85hp . The engine is not in a protective mode because I can reach 5000 RPM without problem but it takes ‘time’. No CEL is on. But I have got a really poor acceleration (like if the rear brakes were on).

But I noticed that time to time the car works normally (this is the main problem because MB cannot find it). Last time, I changed a faulty bulb and when I restart the car, the car worked perfectly. Then five days later, the problem occurs one more time. As I went to a tires dealer to change the back tires, the technician kept the lights on for more than half an hour as he left the keys on and the lights were in automatic mode. When I start the car, the car worked perfectly. Then 5 days later (always quite the same between a correct restart and a new default), as I mentioned the problem was back, I thought that it could be an electrical problem. So I decided to stay for a while in the garage an wait with the lights on and I unplugged a wire on the top of the engine (which had affected the idle, became a bit rough and not constant) and started the car. Then the morning after, the cars worked perfectly for 5 days and then the problem occurred one more time.

So do you have any idea of what could be the problem? Is there any condenser somewhere which needs to be emptied? What could be the faulty component? Any help could be really appreciated because it’s really frustrating to be overtaken by a 70hp Clio.

Many thanks in advance for your support.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Have you driving another c200k coupe?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
It's because your in France. Didn't you know that the Germans have been invading you since May 10th 1940? The best solution would be to move to America, buy a gun (you can own those here), and laugh at all the people who drive those little tiny econoboxes in France!

Joking aside, have you tried:
Throttle calibration procedure?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:48 AM

CL203 coupe sport 200K
Hello,

Thanks for prompt reply guys.

Yes I drove another c200K and it didn't work like this one.

Mskembo, I am pretty sure that buy a gun will not improve my poor acceleration problem Anyway, I tried many times the throttle calibration procedure without any significant result.

Any other idea?
Old 04-08-2011, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
A C200k only has about 85hp right?

Joking. Damn that sucks because it is only part of the time. I am completely stumped.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Have you checked whether the car is storing any codes with an OBDII scanner? It could be the MAF or a throttle body actuator problem. If it's a throttle body they usually don't throw codes. The MAF should give you lean fuel trim. Try unplugging the MAF & forcing the car to run on a default map.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 PM

C240
Does it always happen after a 5 days interval? I mean if it was a sporadic thing it should happen every now and then.. Wierd.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:22 PM

C240
A repeat question.. Throttle calibration thingy.. Is on position when you turn the key once (position one) or twice (position two)?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:17 AM

CL203 coupe sport 200K
Thanks for input guys.

Glyn M Ruck : I didn't check for a while with an OBD scanner but I tried to bypass the MAF and nothing happened. The car kept the same behaviour. When I went to MB dealer, he checked with the scanner and he told me something about the air insufflation. But he checked the whole circuit and told me that everything was good (MAF, O2 sensor, opening and closing of the valves). What are the symptoms of a faulty throttle body actuator?

Silver C : Yes, the redundance occurs after almost 5 days (when the car seems repaired, it takes 5 days interval to return to the poor acceleration). Regarding the throttle calibration, position two.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 AM

CL203 coupe sport 200K
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Have you checked whether the car is storing any codes with an OBDII scanner? It could be the MAF or a throttle body actuator problem. If it's a throttle body they usually don't throw codes. The MAF should give you lean fuel trim. Try unplugging the MAF & forcing the car to run on a default map.

Do you have any idea of the symptoms of a faulty throttle position sensor?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
TPS problems usually leave one with zero throttle pedal response & a CEL.

The only real way to check the TPS & throttle body actuator is to wait until you suffer poor acceleration. Pull out the throttle body but keep connected or reconnect. Then see if full pedal travel = full throttle plate opening.

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Also possible that your supercharged is FUBAR.

I would recommend checking any stored codes with OBDII. If nothing, then youre left with taking it to the dealer and checking for stored codes using STAR.

Im pretty sure one of those will turn up a Supercharger malfunction code....possibly P0410.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:49 AM

CL203 coupe sport 200K
Originally Posted by jcnash
Also possible that your supercharged is FUBAR.

I would recommend checking any stored codes with OBDII. If nothing, then youre left with taking it to the dealer and checking for stored codes using STAR.

Im pretty sure one of those will turn up a Supercharger malfunction code....possibly P0410.
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
TPS problems usually leave one with zero throttle pedal response & a CEL.

The only real way to check the TPS & throttle body actuator is to wait until you suffer poor acceleration. Pull out the throttle body but keep connected or reconnect. Then see if full pedal travel = full throttle plate opening.

Good luck!
Thanks guys. I will try both proposals and let's see.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:41 AM

2001 c200 Kompresor Elegance
Salamesh

Did you solve the problem or anyone know did he solve it. Couse i have exaclty same problem. Motor power is 80+ and feels like i cant get any power from kompresor. 2 weeks ago i went a local repair shop. They said its could be Air Flow sensor error or Throttle Body. At this car, these parts require cleaning with some periots. Nevermind they clear the parts. Then i drove the car. There was some amelioration but it was not fully ok. BTW they reprogram the car. At the other day i decided to push the car hardly. After 4 - 5 km pushing, suddenly the car bring me lots of errors on the panel screen. ABS ASR EDS etc. It was saying me to go repair shop. I turn of the car and remove key. Then plug again and it switch on and off repatly. Then sudenly the error decided to disappair. After this error gone, the car started to work perfectly as it has to be. But excalty same as salamesh' s car, it turn back the low performance life::::

Accourding my searches, its realy common issue on w203 cars. And there is 2 much couse which can make it happen.
1-) AMF Sensor
2-) Camshaft Sensor
3-) Gas Pedal Sensor
4-) The sensors on the Exhaust. BTW these sensors doesnt have to be foulty for this incident. If the exhaust has a crack or hole, these sensor work perfectly but read wrong values. So it makes your car's ecu confused.
5-) Blocked air duct - kompresor air canals.

I dont thing there is a mecanical problem like foult kompresor or timing couse sometimes the car works perfectly for 4 - 5 days. I quess sometimes or some reasons the sensor (foulty one) resets with the all ecu, and it take 4 - 5 days to car reliese a sensor runnig foulty. After that motor turns a atmosferic 2.0 l. and with this weight, i mean my car 1540 kg, the car cant accelerate.

The important part what is the problem. You cant just replace every sensör. They are expensive.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:53 AM

2001 c200 Kompresor Elegance
Please Response

Please give me some advice