C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2002 c-class speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c320
2002 c-class speaker upgrade

I have searched the forums and could not find any information on upgrading my 2002 c-class speakers. I am looking to do this soon to my car, however I have no idea what I an getting into. Suggestions and all the information I can get would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 AM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
Does this help at all?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ck-mounts.html

It's how I started.

It would probably help to know if you have a sedan or coupe.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 AM

2002 c320
Originally Posted by jkowtko
Does this help at all?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ck-mounts.html

It's how I started.

It would probably help to know if you have a sedan or coupe.
Sedan..
Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Polk used to make drop in replacements for the W203. Don't know if they are still available.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:39 AM

2005 c230SS
My link should help you somewhat. Door panel removal is covered elsewhere, but reuse of the stock speaker housings will space the drivers out enough to allow them to fit nicely in the door with clearance both in fron of and behind the speaker.

I installed Alpine S at first, and then changed over to Hertz ESK/ECX once I installed my amp.

I don't think Hertz HSK would fit in the stock mounts as the baskets and magnets are pretty big, but you can always cut your own mounting blanks out of 3/4" MDF or marine plywood to hold them.

You can definitely fit 6.5" speakers in the rear doors as well as the front.

As for wiring connections, if you want to use the stock car speaker wiring, then if you reuse the stock speaker housing you will have the wiring plugs already in the housing and can just wire your speakers to those leads on the inside of the housing. Again look at my thread.

Do you have any other specific questions?
Old 08-06-2014, 11:16 AM

2002 c320
Originally Posted by jkowtko
My link should help you somewhat. Door panel removal is covered elsewhere, but reuse of the stock speaker housings will space the drivers out enough to allow them to fit nicely in the door with clearance both in fron of and behind the speaker.

I installed Alpine S at first, and then changed over to Hertz ESK/ECX once I installed my amp.

I don't think Hertz HSK would fit in the stock mounts as the baskets and magnets are pretty big, but you can always cut your own mounting blanks out of 3/4" MDF or marine plywood to hold them.

You can definitely fit 6.5" speakers in the rear doors as well as the front.

As for wiring connections, if you want to use the stock car speaker wiring, then if you reuse the stock speaker housing you will have the wiring plugs already in the housing and can just wire your speakers to those leads on the inside of the housing. Again look at my thread.

Do you have any other specific questions?
Yes, I have an Alpine amp that I figured I could use some how to drive the new speakers?? Maybe replace the factory one??
Old 08-06-2014, 12:37 PM

2005 c230SS
Do you have the upgraded HK or Bose system with the amp already in the trunk? If so, you may have a fiber connection between your head unit and the amp, in which case your Alpine amp would require you to rewire that connection with copper.

Another note -- common audiophile theory says that if you are going to upgrade your sound system, start at the source of the signal and move your way downstream. Which means, upgrade your head unit first, then amp and speakers. I would suggest that if you already have an upgraded stock sound system in your car you might not get great results if you replace amp and speakers without replacing the head unit.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:07 PM

2002 c320
I totally agree.. but all the aftermarket head units just look ghetto to me I like the clean look of oem. Are the radios for the 03 and up better? If so could I be able to do the facelift? I have the premium sound package code 810 with the factory amp under the rear seat.

Last edited by MercLifeStyle; 08-06-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:55 PM

2005 c230SS
Originally Posted by MercLifeStyle
I totally agree.. but all the aftermarket head units just look ghetto to me I like the clean look of oem.
That's what I thought initially, but after installing the pioneer AVIC double-din with full touch screen and clean Scosche faceplate, the OEM now looks cluttered and cheap to me compared to the clean look of my dash. Yes I wish the head units would come in matte black instead of glossy .. but as soon as a new aftermarket unit comes out in matte black I will be able to easily swap over to it if I want. The OEM units will always look cluttered with buttons ...

Originally Posted by MercLifeStyle
Are the radios for the 03 and up better? If so could I be able to do the facelift? I have the premium sound package code 810 with the factory amp under the rear seat.
I have heard of people doing the facelifts. There may be a DIY or two online somewhere. Others will have to comment on this as I have an '05 and started out with the facelift.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:06 PM

2002 c320
Now what about the speaker located behind the rear seats? Same way of installation as listed above?
Old 08-07-2014, 04:19 PM

2005 c230SS
The rear deck houses only a sub, and I believe only in the upgraded stock stereos.

Mine did not have one by default, but I purchased one and stuck it in there for a while to see how much it helped the sound.

Unfortunately not much.

So I pulled it out and instead placed a JL Audio 10" sub in the trunk up against the back of the rear seat on the left side, and face up so it was facing the stock sub vents from underneath.

Much better sound. That specific location and orientation of the sub IMHO produces the least amount of unwanted low frequency resonance from the trunk.

I'm actually pretty happy with this sub location, but my next step is to try out a custom enclosure that will allow me to tuck the sub even tighter in there up against the rear of the seat back, still with 1 cu ft volume but intruding less into the trunk area, and maybe closing off access to the rest of the trunk to get rid of as much resonance as possible.