C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Question about interior lighting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very FAST!
Question about interior lighting

I recently purchased a 2009 C300 Sport about 6 months ago. Since this time, I have thought that maybe it was a fluke that the light switch for the headlights does not illuminate at night with the rest of the interior lights. The portion I am refering to is the symbols that tell you if you have the lights on auto, parking lights,manual, or fog lights. These symbols are located atop the knob itself. Are these suppose to light up? If so, I'll be taking it back in to the dealer. Thanks in advance....Jamie
Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Dark

Originally Posted by jmsspratlin
I recently purchased a 2009 C300 Sport about 6 months ago. Since this time, I have thought that maybe it was a fluke that the light switch for the headlights does not illuminate at night with the rest of the interior lights. The portion I am refering to is the symbols that tell you if you have the lights on auto, parking lights,manual, or fog lights. These symbols are located atop the knob itself. Are these suppose to light up? If so, I'll be taking it back in to the dealer. Thanks in advance....Jamie
They don't. The three lights below do (including front or rear fog lights) which the manual explains.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 PM

Very FAST!
Thanks...however what a crappy design. Everything else lights up, but this is left out. The longer I have this car, the more I find I hate about it.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:51 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Buyer's remorse

Thanks...however what a crappy design. Everything else lights up, but this is left out. The longer I have this car, the more I find I hate about it.
Well, you could buy something electric.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 AM

Very FAST!
Originally Posted by RLE
Well, you could buy something electric.
Or just a BMW
Old 01-22-2010, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Is it honestly that big of a deal? Even S/SL/CLs work the same way. Just set them on Auto and forget about it. Or even memorize the grid itself. It's not difficult at all. From auto, one click left turns the lights off. From auto, turn it all the way to the right and they're manually on. Need fogs? Pull out the switch.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:27 AM

Very FAST!
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
Is it honestly that big of a deal? Even S/SL/CLs work the same way. Just set them on Auto and forget about it. Or even memorize the grid itself. It's not difficult at all. From auto, one click left turns the lights off. From auto, turn it all the way to the right and they're manually on. Need fogs? Pull out the switch.

A little different when you are constantly having to turn them on then off again when coming onto base. Just seems like I could have done without the door handle lighting and had a better instrument panel lighting. Yes I can memorize the pattern, and I have, just seem that MB cut alot of corners when making the car. I should have done more homework on the car before buying.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
A little different when you are constantly having to turn them on then off again when coming onto base. Just seems like I could have done without the door handle lighting and had a better instrument panel lighting. Yes I can memorize the pattern, and I have, just seem that MB cut alot of corners when making the car. I should have done more homework on the car before buying.
Yeah, but as mentioned they did this with MANY of the models, and if I recall (please someone correct me if I'm incorrect) - this is only the case on US models. Overseas I think they have lights on the switch.

You'll find much of your "hate" of little Mercedes-Benz oddities come from MBUSA decisions, and not the germans behind the car themselves.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E350 - Cabrio; 2017 GLS 450
When I go to the bases that i work at, and yes I work at 2, I just do one click to the right to hit the eyebrow lights. They don't seem to mind when i do that, heck most the time they don't even care if I do leave them on.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by dalazernet
Yeah, but as mentioned they did this with MANY of the models, and if I recall (please someone correct me if I'm incorrect) - this is only the case on US models. Overseas I think they have lights on the switch.

You'll find much of your "hate" of little Mercedes-Benz oddities come from MBUSA decisions, and not the germans behind the car themselves.
There are a few "MBUSA oddities", perhaps some because of local laws but the light switch illumination is the same everywhere and all models (that I've seen). It used to be lit a long time ago at least on some models.