C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-16-2015, 12:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Windshield washer (Winter) / C & S mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4Matic
Windshield washer (Winter) / C & S mode

Couple of questions...Just wondering what kind of washer you guys using, Is there a special washer or I can just use a regular all weather washer? Also is it bad to switch from Comfort to Sport mode vice versa while car is in motion? Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
Use what you want for windshield washer fluid, your choice, for winter I like to use the winter stuff, as it can get very cold and as you spray (the all season stuff) on your windshield it can freeze if it's not rated for the colder temperatures, I personally use the Rain X stuff, a few weeks ago Canadian Tire had it on sale by the Box 4 jugs for like 9 bucks or something like that, it was cheap, I picked up 4 boxes, so 16 individual jugs.

As for the C/S changes, do it whenever you feel like it

By the way, I keep the winter windshield washer fluid in all year round, it makes so I don't have to empty out the reservoir when winter comes around, and if you don't and have the normal stuff in, it could potentially freeze and crack the reservoir....
Old 12-16-2010, 12:25 PM

2010 C300 4Matic
Ok thanks for the tips Im heading to Crappy Tire too today so i will be looking for that Rain X stuff maybe they are still on sale.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Gatekeeper I also use Rain-X no problems with cleaning but everytime the temp dips below 45 I get the check windshield fluid warning. It is full when this happens the dealer can not fix it and has blamed the Rain-X. They even drained it and replaced with MBs fluid and the next morning no warning but when I went to lunch there it was again.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Haha, I find it a bit weird that I was going to post this same exact question yesterday... But I decided not to in fear of a noob reputation. Lol

Anyways, I am just going to fill up with any winter washer fluid I can find and top it off. I don't see any harm in mixing the OEM fluid and this... Its only washer fluid... Right?

I also have to top off my coolant. At first I only got the check coolant level when it was really cold out, but now as it is getting colder I get the message almost every cold start, until the temperature needle starts to move and the coolant expands. I haven't actually gotten around to checking my coolant level yet, but I have to do my oil change as soon as I get in the last part I am waiting for to suck it out of the top. I will also just top-off my coolant and any other fluids at that point like washer fluid.

I got mixed reviews about what I should add for coolant. My father has them jugs of Mercedes coolant, but it is spec 325.0 not 325.3 (which apparently our cars use). I have also been told to add distilled water, since that is probably the portion that evaporated, making my coolant level a bit low. Any suggestions? Should I add a bit of my dad's mercedes coolant, distilled water, or a bit of both?
Old 12-16-2010, 02:03 PM

C63
@jctevere, just top off your coolant with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and the coolant. unless it is alread a coolant that has it pre-mixed than just add it strait up. otherwise 50-50 is your best bet.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
1Z Einszett Kristall Klar for above 32°F / 0°C
http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...ncentrate.html

1Z Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid for 7°F to -22°F
http://www.autogeek.net/einszett-ant...her-fluid.html

The Anti-frost also works in spring/summer, but Kristall Klar is more economical....1 bottle of concentrate can mix 7 gallons of washer fluid which beats what you can find in the stores. You can mix these also, which is what I usually do... I top off with Anti-frost come winter and top off with Kristall Klar come end spring.

1Z Einszett also private labels Kristall Klar for Mercedes in Germany so it meets OEM requirements. The lubricants and water softeners in it keep washer pump systems optimal and reduces mineral build-up from hard water.

Not all washer fluid are equal. You want one free of methanol and ammonia that some washer concentrates contain. You also want something that's pH neutral. Kristall Klar has a pH of 9.5 at full concentration. After diluting it 1:25, the pH is close to neutral.

Last edited by Azn_C300; 12-16-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:04 PM

GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
Gatekeeper I also use Rain-X no problems with cleaning but everytime the temp dips below 45 I get the check windshield fluid warning. It is full when this happens the dealer can not fix it and has blamed the Rain-X. They even drained it and replaced with MBs fluid and the next morning no warning but when I went to lunch there it was again.
Strange.....

I have never gotten a message, unless it was actually low

perhaps your float is sticking/sinking and is not reading the correct amount of fluid in the canister

if it does it with the stuff MB puts in, then have them replace the reservoir and or the sensor, both if possible
Old 12-16-2010, 03:09 PM

GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
1Z Einszett Kristall Klar for above 32°F / 0°C
http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...ncentrate.html

1Z Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid for 7°F to -22°F
http://www.autogeek.net/einszett-ant...her-fluid.html

The Anti-frost also works in spring/summer, but Kristall Klar is more economical....1 bottle of concentrate can mix 7 gallons of washer fluid which beats what you can find in the stores. You can mix these also, which is what I usually do... I top off with Anti-frost come winter and top off with Kristall Klar come end spring.

1Z Einszett also private labels Kristall Klar for Mercedes in Germany so it meets OEM requirements. The lubricants and water softeners in it keep washer pump systems optimal and reduces mineral build-up from hard water.

Not all washer fluid are equal. You want one free of methanol and ammonia that some washer concentrates contain. You also want something that's pH neutral. Kristall Klar has a pH of 9.5 at full concentration. After diluting it 1:25, the pH is close to neutral.
Would be nice, but shipping to Canada, tax's, brokerage fees, duties, and so on, make it not worthwhile, unfortunately, sometimes it pays to be in the US.....
Old 12-16-2010, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by GateKeeper
Strange.....

I have never gotten a message, unless it was actually low

perhaps your float is sticking/sinking and is not reading the correct amount of fluid in the canister

if it does it with the stuff MB puts in, then have them replace the reservoir and or the sensor, both if possible
Replaced twice so far. Just a pain having to press OK after starting the car when it is cold.