C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

questions on C300 sub/amp install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2011 | 05:01 PM

GF owns C300
questions on C300 sub/amp install

Hello, I was hoping to get some insight via this forum on sub/amp install in a C300. My girlfriend just bought a C300, which I'm kind of jealous about...lol. Jealously aside, I want to install a sub in her car. I have some audio gear I'm not using, and her birthday is coming up so I figure adding some bass to her new car will be a cost effective present.

I have 4ga power/ground wire, Exile X1200.1, and a IDMAX D4 12" in a nice ported baltic birch enclosure (1.75^ft @ 31hz). The amp is underrated, so it'd be putting about 875wrms @2ohms to the IDMAX.

Will the C300's electrical system handle a Class D amp at 875wrms? I don't want to do the big 3 to her car. She has the stock stereo, so I'm assuming there's no RCA outputs and I'd need a converter? Is there a tutorial or DIY on this? I searched through the DIY sticky, but didn't see anything related to subwoofer installs.
Old 03-29-2011 | 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Keep it simple and look at the recommendations in this much-referenced thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...r-upgrade.html
Old 03-29-2011 | 07:52 PM

GF owns C300
Ok, that was a lot of reading and wasn't really what I was looking for. There were a few well educated audiophiles discussing component speakers, and then others who referenced bazooka bass tubes and boss audio as being good, at which point I had to quit reading. I may upgrade her component speakers sometime, but for now I'm just going to throw in that Image Dynamics sub I'm not using.

I wanted to know from someone who has installed a subwoofer (in its own box, not retrofitting the factory location) how will true 4ga power wire will fit, and how the stock electrical system does with 1000 watts.
Old 03-29-2011 | 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Then maybe this thread is more your "flavor":

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ear-seats.html
Old 03-29-2011 | 11:20 PM

BENZ w203

SIMPLE TASK!
RUN POWER OFF BATTERY, ground off anything metal
remote off cig, lighter inside the glove box
make it a clean install, run the wiring and use the rear speakers for bass sig.(RCA +/-)
Old 04-11-2011 | 02:22 PM

GF owns C300
Ok...resurrecting this thread.

Here's the deal. On the 6th day of my girlfriend owning her slightly used 2010 C300 some lady pulled out in front of her, and hit her. Then she ended up running off the road and hit a telephone pole. Thankfully my GF was ok, her C300 was not. It caused something like $17k in damage. I was out of town when this happened, so point is, I haven't seen her car in person yet, and it's still at the Mercedes dealership being repaired.

After reading through the thread linked above I decided to install the Infinity speakers along with the sub. I asked my girlfriend if she got the upgraded stereo...she didn't know, but I assumed she had the base stereo. So I looked at the window sticker...turns out she does have the MM package with Harmon Kardon speakers...so I will not be replacing the speakers.

Long story, but I'm not using the IDMAX sub anymore, and will be installing a 15" Treo SSI. I told her it will take up a lot of trunk space, but she said she doesn't care, so whatever. Can someone please tell me if a 20.5"h x 20.5"w x 24"l enclosure will fit in the trunk? I think the car will be done by this weekend, but I want to start working on the box now, so I need to know if it's going to fit.

I'll be tapping off the .1 of the 5.1 system, is there a built in bass control for the .1 on the MB system? Essentially I'm asking if I should use the remote bass control knob or if the MB system will be sufficient for bass control.

Since her car is still at the dealership, should I ask them to see if the Chinese IPOD amp is installed? If so, could I ask them to replace it with the German version?

She has the 2010, are there any firmware updates needed for the IPOD "boost" function?

Is there an Engineering menu in her car? I'm assuming she has the Audio 50 system...if this function is available, is there any trick to accessing it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-11-2011 | 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
If you are going through all that trouble for a sub, a custom enclosure will be more elegant. Judging from the dimensions you state for the Treo, it probably wont fit (smallest dimension is 20 1/2 inches.

As for the parametric eq, not sure if the HK doesnt already have that section setup and locked. If it is accessible, here is how to get to it:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...udio-20-a.html
Old 04-11-2011 | 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
iPod amplifier for the iPod Integration kit: The dealer can check if the iPod amplifier was manufactured in Germany or in China in a minute or two under the glovebox liner. A German amp cost $65 at a MB dealer.
Old 04-11-2011 | 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Installing subwoofer amp: BABYBENZZZ probably doesnt know about the 12 volt line in the right-hand side of the trunk.

BUT as a suggestion, and in order to avoid phase interference between the HK and the new sub (where one speaker cancels out the other), just wire the output of the 350 watt amp from the two 6" HK subs (eliminating them) to the new subwoofer in the trunk. Make sure the new sub has at least a 90dB/watt efficiency, as most subs (read cheap and inefficient) are in the 83dB/watt category, requiring about 5 times the amplifier power for the same volume output.

Also, as for tapping into the .1 part of the 5.1 output, I understand that this signal actually arrives to the rear of the vehicle via fibre optic to avoid hum and noise. Another reason for the suggestion to use the already available HK amp to power the new sub.
Old 04-12-2011 | 12:49 PM

GF owns C300
Bill, thanks for your responses and help. To be honest with you, I don't want to install a sub in her car, especially since I've discovered she has the HK system....but mostly because I don't want to do all the work...AND she is absolutely insistent on it. I'm not all that big on car audio, but I'm huge on boat audio. I'm completely redoing the stereo in my boat, which is why I have a 15" Treo and a 1200.1 amp that she wants to put in her car....point is....a 15" sub and a 1200w amp will be going in her car one way or another.

I don't remember the TS parameters on the Treo, but I know it's not all that efficient, I think 84db. This is part of the reason I took it out of my boat...and because it can't handle the new 2400.1 amp I just got. Although somewhat inefficient, it is far from a cheap sounding woofer, it actually has good SQ.

I called Mercedes and asked them to check on the IPOD amp...they said they'll call me back and let me know. I'm hoping to try and talk them in to replacing it free of charge if it is the Chinese version. (They're really taking their sweet *** time on repair...it's been there 6 weeks now)

How have people with the HK systems installed a woofer? Did they use the rear speaker level inputs on the stock subs for the aftermarket amp input? What's up with the Fiber Optic. I assume the Fiber is going to the amp? If so, this would not effect tapping the speaker level inputs.

Did they eliminate the stock amp and sub, or add the aftermarket sub/amp in addition to the stock setup?
Old 04-12-2011 | 12:53 PM

GF owns C300
ALSO could someone PLEASE measure their trunk for me? I want to know if that 20.5" will fit under the cross bar or not.
Old 04-13-2011 | 02:42 PM

GF owns C300
Well she does have the Chinese Ipod amp. The service guys were completely clueless as to what I was talking about and said I would have to talk to the parts department.
Old 07-28-2011 | 04:18 PM

2009 MB C300 4Matic Sport
Component/Sub upgrade for 2009 C300 Sport 4matic

Somewhat resurrecting this thread...I am looking to do a similar setup, however I have the basic Audio 20 package with 5" screen and Ipod integration kit....and yes, I have a stupid Chinese made Ipod amp that doesn't provide any value. Working on getting that replaced with the German part.

I plan to replace the stock component speakers with 4 Infinity 629I 225W (Peak) 6-1/5 x 6-3/4 -Inch Two-Way Speakers and also add a Boss Bass600.

Fortunately the Boss sub has a built in amp, so essentially my question boils down to the following:

1. Can the existing factory amp in the Audio 20 package handle the components/tweeters I mentioned above?
2. Or, should I also consider purchasing an external amp to run the components/tweeters?

Furthermore, I'm clueless as to what kind of input/outputs (if any) the factory head unit has in a 2009 C300 Sport.

Would an aftermarket external amp even be able to interface with the factory head unit or could this be ran directly from the battery?

And, even though the sub has its own amp I still have to find out how it will be hooked up in this config.

I am by no means an expert on this so I figured I'd reach out to you guys for some feedback.

At the end of the day, I know the setup I want but I'm not sure the best way to go about having it configured. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

KC
Old 07-29-2011 | 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
CRUTCHFIELD says the 62.9´s do NOT fit the C class. The Kappa 60.9 speakers do fit in the front, and the Infinity 6032si fit in the rear. Besides the 62.9 speakers are COAXIAL and will leave the mids and highs at your ankles, instead of in the door pillars as the 60.9 separate tweeters do.

The 30 minutes it takes to fit the separate tweeters in the door pillars are absolutely worth every second it takes. The Audio 20 headunit will drive about 200 watts total into the 2 ohm load, coupled with the high efficiency, results in an excellent high quality and sufficiently loud (116 dB peaks) system.

Amazon has these speakers at highly discounted prices.
Old 02-10-2012 | 02:17 PM

White 2009 C300 Sport
theres also this thread that has a lot of pictures and less reading if you guys still need it...
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...install-2.html

i have a 09 c300 iwht audio 20, i want to ADD two subs and an amp in the trunk, what would i need and how would i go about doing this?
can someone give me any pointers? i dont even know where the battery is on my car so i was hoping i could power it from the thing in the trunk that everyone is talking about, My seats do not fold down as well
Old 02-13-2013 | 01:09 PM

2014 C63
Thanks to all for the various posts re adding a sub. Following the tips found here I added a powered sub to my C63 last night in about an hour. Sounds great. Perfect amount of punch added to the already pleasing hk system.