C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2010 C350 temp control trim broken and seat leather cracking - poor quality?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 e63s
2010 C350 temp control trim broken and seat leather cracking - poor quality?

recently bought a used 2010 c350 through the mercedes star certified program. (Canada) Upon getting the car home I noticed that the numbers from the passenger side temp control knob were missing, looks like the plastic piece with the numbers broke or fell out. I bought the car outside the city I live in (only one I could find with options I wanted), and its roughly a 24h return trip (calgary AB to Vancouver BC). Selling dealer told me to take it to the dealer in my city and it will be covered under warranty. Dealer in my city says no way, I need to replace the entire unit for $950 + 2.5h labour. Car is a 2010 c350 with 38,000kms, factory warranty until Dec 2013 and star certified until Dec 2015 or 120,000kms.

Is there an easier way to do this? The missing part is literally a 2 dollar plastic ring with the temperature numbers printed on it.

Second issue is the leather on the drivers seat has cracked at the bolster and is now tearing. I would assume this is a factory defect but they are saying its completely normal and not a warranty issue. Our old honda and my GMC truck with well over 200,000kms does not look like this despite lots of abuse. As a young professional just turning 30 this is a fairly poor start to our first Mercedes, likey will be our first and last if this isn't fixed.

Anyone have similair experences or a solution?

Last edited by martincc; 02-20-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:24 PM

MB C250
Should have done 2-3 times visit before purchase the car. Most ppl will be attracted by the future new own ride and neglect the details inside.
The leather issue is common if the previous owner never took care of the ride. usually for new purchase car will sent for polish wax & interior leather and will insist from good Germany car care products. Price should be around 200 usd for everything and it will be required about 2 times/yr.

You might want try your luck from parts.com (if it's ever available)
or maybe someone (not cursing) total their ride and have the parts available.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM

2018 e63s

thanks for the reply.. unfortunately the car was a flight and 12h drive back from where I live.. I went through it and did not notice the seat or thecontrol when I picked it up.. its pretty sad these seats will crack after38,000kms or 23,000miles.. like I said my GM truck has leather and has getabused every weekend with dirt, mud and snow and gets zero care and looks better after almost250,000kms.. thats a bad quality comparison! I'll see what I can find for parts.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:52 PM

MB C250
Hey man , its normal for every leather interior car. i drove a toyota camry few years back and the same thing happen to me.
Kind of disappoint too.
But look at brighter side, you can customize your car leather seats.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Hey Calgary here as well. My seat cracked on it when i had about 40k on it....
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM

MB C250
I put soft thin cotton cushion at driver and passengers seats.
you can find it at home decor similar store.

its best if have both side smooth surface with good quality fur can choose colour to suit your interior seat ,thin & short fur is better.
Prevent heat burning our a$$ or keep warm during winter.
Protects the seat leather too.
better comes with strip at the sides to tie around our seat/belt area , if not will be annoying when it starts to move around.
I bought mine for 10 usd at bedroom decor shop.

Some example:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Palm-...638894424.html

http://www.google.com.my/search?hl=e...w=1024&bih=527
Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM

2018 e63s
Sorry guys, I don’t think I should have to be covering up my leather seat in a MB with fur just so it does not crack, I would have bought cloth if that's what I wanted.. that’s pretty sad quality.. anyhow... lesson learned and likely will not be buying another MB down the road.

Which Calgary dealer do you find is the best? Did they replace your leather where it cracked? They have the MB rep coming to look at it, but said very slim chance it will be replaced as that’s normal wear and tear. This is my first MB, on week 3 with the car, but first impression are awful similar to domestics prethier bankruptcy reality check.

Anyone else have the temp control issue? Super excited for the $1400 quoted bill to replace the entire control module for a 2 dollar plastic ring with printed numbers which also is not covered under warranty.

Sorry to anyone who loves their MB.. nothing personal.. just a pretty poor start for me to a brand that demands a premium price for perceived quality and craftsmanship.

Last edited by martincc; 02-20-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by martincc
Sorry guys, I don’t think I should have to be covering up my leather seat in a MB with fur just so it does not crack, I would have bought cloth if that's what I wanted.. that’s pretty sad quality.. anyhow... lesson learned and likely will not be buying another MB down the road.

Which Calgary dealer do you find is the best? Did they replace your leather where it cracked? They have the MB rep coming to look at it, but said very slim chance it will be replaced as that’s normal wear and tear. This is my first MB, on week 3 with the car, but first impression are awful similar to domestics prethier bankruptcy reality check.

Anyone else have the temp control issue? Super excited for the $1400 quoted bill to replace the entire control module for a 2 dollar plastic ring with printed numbers which also is not covered under warranty.

Sorry to anyone who loves their MB.. nothing personal.. just a pretty poor start for me to a brand that demands a premium price for perceived quality and craftsmanship.

I go to Lone Star all the time, they treated me pretty well with warranty stuff. I didnt even buy the car there (I got it used from a dealership in Kelowna Bc). Be nice and talk to see and see what they can do. How big was the crack?

https://mbworld.org/forums/detailing...x-cracked.html

mine was this big and I used Leather Magic Liquid Vinyl to repair. Can't notice a thing now.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
As for the plastic ring thingy, show us a picture and see if someone can get you the part number then just order the part from dealer or online and just put it on yourself. That dealership is ripping you off...I wouldn't take my car there anymore
Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Stick to your guns . Have both problems fixed .Can't see why the local dealer can't do the warranty repairs. Maybe a phone call to MB Canada Customer Relations . If no joy I am sure you have an auto ombudsman in Canada ?.

Leather requires to be kept supple with creams . Do it yourself every 3 to 6 months. Use a windscreen shade also as it does not like sun.

Hope you have better luck soon.

JC