C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Vinyl Wrap damage to car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C250 4Matic
Vinyl Wrap damage to car

Hey guys,

I went to have my roof wrapped by a reputable place yesterday in gloss black. When I arrived the job was terrible (bubbles/scratches). Upon further inspection they did not open the sunroof and ended up cutting the seal of the sunroof badly. I was fuming mad and they agreed to pay for it. I also had the vinyl removed as the job was garbage. Today I noticed they nicked my rear antenna rubber. I talked to MB today and they said this should be fine and they checked and it's still sealed. It's a rather big job apparently to have the dealer fix this this. MB recommended leaving it.

Should I be worried about future water leaks and decay of the seal? I'm looking for someone who has experience in this area and not speculation.

Yes, I am beyond choked at this business. I was told by the manager they did not know how to open the roof. Yep, unbelievable.

1st pic is torn roof seal and it's now been fixed.
2nd is rear antenna seal.

Thanks,

AH
Attached Thumbnails Vinyl Wrap damage to car-2013-10-08-11.26.20.jpg   Vinyl Wrap damage to car-2013-10-09-16.36.02.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
I would have it fixed, it's only going to get worse over time and now that the seal has been damaged, will be prone to weathering and rot quicker. They should pay for that too. Are these guys amateurs or what?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
I would have it fixed, it's only going to get worse over time and now that the seal has been damaged, will be prone to weathering and rot quicker. They should pay for that too. Are these guys amateurs or what?
I am usually the fix everything type. The installers were hacks and I went to a big company too. I a hesitant to have it fixed as the headliner needs to be dropped if the dealer does it. I am aware that sometimes things are never the same once they are screwed with and that can create bigger issues. I am a bit torn here on what to do. The sunroof seal was fixed perfectly and I am happy that's back to normal. The rear antenna is a bit more tricky to fix. Dealer not advising to fix either.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
The company needs to fix that also, if they damaged it i would get it fixed, I don't know why mb is saying leave it alone...their techs are supposed to be some of the best out there
Old 10-11-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C63/X5/ML/YUGO
Originally Posted by dolvio
Hey guys,

I went to have my roof wrapped by a reputable place yesterday in gloss black. When I arrived the job was terrible (bubbles/scratches). Upon further inspection they did not open the sunroof and ended up cutting the seal of the sunroof badly. I was fuming mad and they agreed to pay for it. I also had the vinyl removed as the job was garbage. Today I noticed they nicked my rear antenna rubber. I talked to MB today and they said this should be fine and they checked and it's still sealed. It's a rather big job apparently to have the dealer fix this this. MB recommended leaving it.

Should I be worried about future water leaks and decay of the seal? I'm looking for someone who has experience in this area and not speculation.

Yes, I am beyond choked at this business. I was told by the manager they did not know how to open the roof. Yep, unbelievable.

1st pic is torn roof seal and it's now been fixed.
2nd is rear antenna seal.

Thanks,

AH
It is easy to replace, just start from one side and start pulling the rubber out, and then just start tucking in the new one,I did mine my self had the same problem when they were doing my vinal roof so all together will take you 30min!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X4M, G80 M3
Damn bro sorry to hear this happened to you!
Hope it gets fixed though without you having to put the money out for it.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by Goni C63
It is easy to replace, just start from one side and start pulling the rubber out, and then just start tucking in the new one,I did mine my self had the same problem when they were doing my vinal roof so all together will take you 30min!
Hi. I don't understand. You are talking about the rear antenna right? Can you explain?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:22 PM

Isn't the rear fin just attached by one screw located under the rear dome light (as per this thread)... so wouldn't you just need a new rubber grommit, unscrew the fin, pop old one out, pop new one in and screw the fin back on? Sounds like a 20 minute job...
Old 10-11-2013, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C63/X5/ML/YUGO
Hi. I don't understand. You are talking about the rear antenna right? Can you explain?
No im talking about your rubber that goes around your sunroof glass, that rubber that been damaged can be changes if 30min
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by Goni C63
No im talking about your rubber that goes around your sunroof glass, that rubber that been damaged can be changes if 30min
The roof seal has been fixed as per my first post.

Thanks,

A
Old 10-11-2013, 10:25 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by Drazil
Isn't the rear fin just attached by one screw located under the rear dome light (as per this thread)... so wouldn't you just need a new rubber grommit, unscrew the fin, pop old one out, pop new one in and screw the fin back on? Sounds like a 20 minute job...
Agreed it does sound easy... however, I am not convinced it is that easy after consulting with the dealer. It's not directly under the rear dome light and is a bit tricky to access. I am going to look into it more this weekend. I am leaning towards leaving it as it's pretty minor and I do not want to f anything else up.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 AM
J__

2012 C200 CGI
i believe you have to remove the headliner in order to access the antenna. I would change it since they are covering repair costs.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by J__
i believe you have to remove the headliner in order to access the antenna. I would change it since they are covering repair costs.
After washing my car today the seal is breathing in and out water. Meaning, it takes water in and holds.. I need to have it fixed for sure now.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:33 AM
J__

2012 C200 CGI
After washing my car today the seal is breathing in and out water. Meaning, it takes water in and holds.. I need to have it fixed for sure now.
ya, you'll need to fix it for sure even if it doesn't leak now, in a few years when the rubber is hardened by weathering, that gap will loose it's seal and you'll have water inside. If you don't want to take out the headliner and have the antenna replaced, an alternative would be to seal the gap with some black silicone. However depending on how picky and handy you are, this can turn out well or look like a hack.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:30 AM

2010 C250 4Matic
Went to the dealer and spoke to my regular guy. Looks like they can access ot through the rear dome light. My guy said "we have a ton of tricks for many car repairs buy we always quote the proper way of doing it" lol