C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Glove Box Opening too far ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Glove Box Opening too far ?

I would be grateful if you could take a look at the attached photos to see whether my glove box is opening too far . It comes into contact with the passengers knees. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Glove Box Opening too far ?-glove-box-2.jpg   Glove Box Opening too far ?-glove-box-1.jpg  

Last edited by Carsy; 12-31-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C220/ W639 CDI 120
You have broken to small plastic taps one per side
Old 12-29-2013, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tg1965
You have broken to small plastic taps one per side
Thank you.

I cannot see these externally?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Repaired Successfully

I always like answering my own questions.

For the record, I removed the glove box & found the problem was that the small brass clamp holding the 'eye' in the cord of the "shock absorber" ( damper) had broken thus allowing the glove box lid come down heavily & bypassing the 'retaining clamps'. These clamps had not been damaged.

Unusual for modern motor engineering , the "shock absorber" could be dismantled & repaired.

It consists of a plastic tube containing a spring & plastic follower. I re-attached the cord to the follower with an electrical joiner clamp & all worked perfectly.

Parts cost = Nil. Time = 4 hours .
The following users liked this post:
egolgeli (03-15-2023)
Old 01-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Pleased you got it fixed JC. I have never done a W204 glove box so did not comment.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200 Estate Kompressor W204, 2018 GLA 220d
Originally Posted by Carsy

For the record, I removed the glove box & found the problem was that the small brass clamp holding the 'eye' in the cord of the "shock absorber" ( damper) had broken thus allowing the glove box lid come down heavily & bypassing the 'retaining clamps'. These clamps had not been damaged.

Unusual for modern motor engineering , the "shock absorber" could be dismantled & repaired.

It consists of a plastic tube containing a spring & plastic follower. I re-attached the cord to the follower with an electrical joiner clamp & all worked perfectly.

Handy info to know. Although as you say "Unusual for modern motor engineering"
Old 08-17-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350

Did you happen to take more photos of what you did? I am having the same issue. I did have a bumper piece come off. See pic below.

What does this piece do? I presume there is something broken. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350

With the brass clamp that broke where did you source this or how did you repair it?
Old 07-27-2020, 07:22 AM
ERA

C300 2008
Hi ! I'm writing you to ask you something about an old post that you did. Is about the glove box opening to far. I just want to know if you remove the whole glove box or just remove the kick panel underneath to have access to the shock absorber.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2021, 10:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
1999 SLK 5.5L 6-speed, 1993 300 SE
Originally Posted by ERA
Hi ! I'm writing you to ask you something about an old post that you did. Is about the glove box opening to far. I just want to know if you remove the whole glove box or just remove the kick panel underneath to have access to the shock absorber.

Thanks
it's been a while, but I believe you remove the whole lower right chunk of plastics which includes the glove box surround and you get access to the cylinder from there.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:04 AM

C200 W204 2007 AMG
Glove Box Opening too far

Hi Sir

Bilal from Durban South Africa. Please help me with this.
can you explain in detail as to what you did to fix this problem? Was it complicated and difficult? Any special tools required ?
I saw another video titled removing the glove box and it looked very complicated and alot of work required and lots of cables n sensors etc require to be disconnected in the process. Can you please explaing. Really appreciate it. Thank you