C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

M271 Securing Pin for Camshaft Adjuster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Sedan
M271 Securing Pin for Camshaft Adjuster?

Took my C250 into an independent mechanic to diagnose a P034062 code.
After removing the intake camshaft magnet to inspect the camshaft adjuster, they determined that
the "securing pin for the camshaft adjuster gear is broken, and a new camshaft adjuster is needed".

I tor the front of the engine down, removing the upper timing cover. I honestly don't know what the mechanic is talking about.
I can send pics and or video of me manually cranking the engine, timing marks line up, chain seems tight, and i can't see anything obviously wrong with the intake camshaft adjuster.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-09-2019, 04:29 PM

Received 238 Likes on 164 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
There is no securing pin. The intake camshaft adjusters break internally, causing check engine light on, extended cranking and rattle noise on start up.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:46 AM

2012 C250 Sedan
Since I was as far in as I was I went ahead and disassembled the intake camshaft adjuster. It looked fine to me, pics attached. The only thing I see is some wear on the back plate of the adjuster where the internal pin locks in, and some rounding of the end of said pin.
Since I am already in, I went ahead and ordered the following:
  • timing chain adjuster
  • timing chain
  • control valve that holds the camshaft adjuster on (I broken the existing removing it)
  • intake and exhaust camshaft adjusters
I question whether or not I need to change the timing chain, it wasn't really loose, and the timing was spot on when I checked the marks. Since the part number has changed for both camshaft adjusters, I also am assuming the newer versions are better.

What are everyone's thoughts on the need to change the chain and exhaust adjuster too?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-19-2019, 03:40 PM

2005 C230 Sport Sedan Kompressor
I am right there with you Chris. I have replaced the 2 adjusters, but didnt order a chain because mine looked fine. I will upload some pics here tonight when I get home. My problem now is this. I get the hormonic balancer at top dead center and the 2 adjusters line up. But of turn the engine manually 1 full turn, they arent lined up again.

Anybody want to chime in?
Old 03-19-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 80 Likes on 79 Posts
W204 C220CDI 2011
You need to turn the crank 2 revolutions to line up with the camshafts again.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
none yet
Chris, any update?

Which tool kit did you use for the timing chain? There are lots of kits available for securing the camshafts but no one makes a timing chain riveting kit specially for the M271 Evo.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:11 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 C250 SPORT, 2014 WRX STI SEDAN, 2017 E300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by The Critic
Chris, any update?

Which tool kit did you use for the timing chain? There are lots of kits available for securing the camshafts but no one makes a timing chain riveting kit specially for the M271 Evo.
I just did this on my car same engine. To lock the cams I bought a $60 locking kit from eBay. The locking jig did not fit very well so I modified it a little using electrical tape. To rivet the chain used a $15 chain breaker tool from Harbor Freight.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:08 PM

2012 C250 Sedan
I did not end up changing my timing chain, although I did buy a new chain and breaker off Amazon.
I did replace both camshaft adjusters, although I am not sure it was necessary for the exhaust, but since I was in there ;-)
Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have replaced the timing chain tensioner, it is too easy to reset, and I had to reset the new one once anyway.
After getting it all back together it runs perfectly now.

Getting the adjusters off was a bear, and ultimately had to buy an electric impact wrench which made quick work of it. I broke the solenoid trying to muscle it off first. Save yourself the headache and potential cost and get/buy and impact wrench.

I don't plan on doing the job again, so if anyone is thinking of taking it on, I will happily part with the engine specific tools and the new chain I purchased at a 50% discount. Let me know and I'll calculate the cost.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:29 PM

none yet
azblk - thanks. I purchased the kit from Baum Tools for $350, hopefully it will be more accurate. The plan is to resell the kit once I am done with it. Do you have any pictures of the process from “drawing the chain” thru? I am trying to visualize how the process is done. The concept is a bit baffling to me. The MB Service Instructions are somewhat cryptic, at least compared to the Toyota/Honda factory instructions that I am personally familiar with.

Chris - thanks for the update and I am glad to hear you were successful. The vehicle I am working on belongs to a friend and he is selling it once the repairs are complete. So unless it is absolutely necessary, I only plan to replace the intake adjuster, VCG and seals, coolant pipe o-ring, upper timing cover o-ring, tensioner, tensioner plug and thermostat. If this was my personal car or if he was keeping it, I would certainly take you up on the offer.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 C250 SPORT, 2014 WRX STI SEDAN, 2017 E300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by The Critic
azblk - thanks. I purchased the kit from Baum Tools for $350, hopefully it will be more accurate. The plan is to resell the kit once I am done with it. Do you have any pictures of the process from “drawing the chain” thru? I am trying to visualize how the process is done. The concept is a bit baffling to me. The MB Service Instructions are somewhat cryptic, at least compared to the Toyota/Honda factory instructions that I am personally familiar with.
I tied the new chain to the old chain and pulled it through by rotating the crank pulley. I cant find a good picture of that but basically threaded copper wire through the last link on the old chain and attached it to the first link on the new chain.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:47 PM

none yet
Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand how this works now. I also found this instruction guide which explains the process quite well:
https://www.lasertools.co.uk/items/P...structions.pdf
Old 07-11-2021, 03:52 AM

E250
In my experience you can usually open the adjusters up flip the pin inside upsidedown to the edge that isnt worn down/chamfered and get a few thousand more kms out of it. you can go one step further and bore out the plate a bit so the indentation is deeper which will hold the pin more securely.

(if it's stupid and it works........)