C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C450 AMG Sport discussion only.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:18 PM
asc

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
2023 E63s
Originally Posted by BeemerToBenz
Congrats! I was torn by the same color choices you had originally wanted and then the factory halted builds with black ash wood right after my order, forcing me to rethink. I never would have thought I'd like the warmer/brown wood color but saw it on the Motoman YouTube review and it grew on me. Mine with wood, saddle brown leather, CF accent and black exterior hits the sweet spot of classy and sporty. (I think ). So, I'm sure you'll dig it. BTW, I get a lot of comments on the interior.
Well designo saddle brown is sick with any combo. I showed my wife pics and she was like "who gets brown wood with a silver car with black leather?" At least I know I married the right woman? But hopefully it'll grow on both of us (and to be honest, I don't care if she loves it since she doesn't have to drive it every day).
Old 12-26-2016, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by iwork4wine
So far no builds posted with the designo diamond white ... so I cannot help you with this one. Maybe someone else can chime in if they considered this paint option.
Just got a 2016 designo diamond white w cranberry red interior.

Anybody know if there is a break in period on these? In the process of looking through the forum but i appreciate any help
Old 12-26-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Polar White C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by William23
Just got a 2016 designo diamond white w cranberry red interior.

Anybody know if there is a break in period on these? In the process of looking through the forum but i appreciate any help

I believe the manual states roughly 1500 kms.

I'd say drive it like you're gonna drive it and enjoy. If you want to give 'er a bit just make sure all the temps are up to operating range.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Bueller178
I believe the manual states roughly 1500 kms.

I'd say drive it like you're gonna drive it and enjoy. If you want to give 'er a bit just make sure all the temps are up to operating range.

Thanks! Ill be cautious...but not TOO cautious lol. Sport+ sure is fun!
Old 12-27-2016, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
My dealer told me only Full AMGs require break in. All normal Mercedes motors are broken in during manufacturing.

I went ahead and did a 300 mile break in on mine. A very purposeful driven 300 miles, not just freeway cruising.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:45 AM
asc

2023 E63s
Sean did you drive it in the snow much lately? How does it handle?

Picking mine up tomorrow...Can't wait.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by asc

This is the second winter I'm driving my C450. I bought a second set of wheels, 18inch, and Michelin X ice winter tires. The thing handle like a beast, snow and icy roads does not bother me one bit, and I live in Saskatoon Canada, where minus 15 is a nice day. 4Matic is phenomenal, but a good set of winter tires is crucial, because, as we know, AWD gets you going, but stoping is all about the tires
The following users liked this post:
asc (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 09:55 AM
asc

2023 E63s
Originally Posted by autopal
This is the second winter I'm driving my C450. I bought a second set of wheels, 18inch, and Michelin X ice winter tires. The thing handle like a beast, snow and icy roads does not bother me one bit, and I live in Saskatoon Canada, where minus 15 is a nice day. 4Matic is phenomenal, but a good set of winter tires is crucial, because, as we know, AWD gets you going, but stoping is all about the tires
Thanks, this is helpful. I intentionally did not get the 19" wheels because they're super impractical here in the Northeast (winters aren't as bad as yours, but we have a lot of rain all year too). Do you think the standard 18" wheels and all-season tires will be sufficient? I don't plan to drive in deep snow, but 1-3 inches and/or icy roads will be common in the coming months.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 181 Likes on 142 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by asc

is it Wednesday already? Hahaha! So excited for you! 'Hope the interior grows on both you and your wife. If not you can always have it wrapped or even replaced with the black ash you've always wanted, and still have spent less than what those added options would cost. Good luck and congratulations, again!
Old 12-27-2016, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by asc

We actually go 8" on christmas and hot damn this thing is a beast in the winter conditions (with Blizzaks on). I feel it drives and handles just as good as any of my Audi's or my Outback did. I like it a little better than all of said previous cars as with the huge amount of torque and the 66% rear bias, you can snap the rear end out for a really easily controllable oversteer

Basically, what this guy said:

Originally Posted by autopal
Old 12-27-2016, 10:20 AM

2016 C450
Originally Posted by asc
Thanks, this is helpful. I intentionally did not get the 19" wheels because they're super impractical here in the Northeast (winters aren't as bad as yours, but we have a lot of rain all year too). Do you think the standard 18" wheels and all-season tires will be sufficient? I don't plan to drive in deep snow, but 1-3 inches and/or icy roads will be common in the coming months.
I am not a believer in all-season tires, especially on a sports car. It's just too much of a compromise. All-seasons are definitely better than summer tires this time of the year, but it can't touch winter tires, especially when you have to stop in a panic. Having two sets of tires doesn't cost anymore $$ in the long run, and the difference in handling between all-seasons and summer and winter tires in their respective season is night and day
Old 12-27-2016, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by asc
I too intentionally got the 18's so it would be cheaper and make more sense for them to be used as winter tires. Then I'll be getting dedicated summer wheels/tires in the spring.

You should be fine with all-seasons, yes. But the way I look at it, you're going to be putting ~36,000 miles on the car right? You could get a decent set of all seasons that last you that long, then put the run-flats back on for turn in.

OR

Spend a little more and have some dedicated snow and performance tires that you switch over. You'll have peace of mind that they will last you the entirety of the lease even with hard driving, and you'll be able to truly push and trust your car in the conditions specific for each set of tires.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-27-2016, 10:29 AM
asc

2023 E63s
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
I too intentionally got the 18's so it would be cheaper and make more sense for them to be used as winter tires. Then I'll be getting dedicated summer wheels/tires in the spring.

You should be fine with all-seasons, yes. But the way I look at it, you're going to be putting ~36,000 miles on the car right? You could get a decent set of all seasons that last you that long, then put the run-flats back on for turn in.

OR

Spend a little more and have some dedicated snow and performance tires that you switch over. You'll have peace of mind that they will last you the entirety of the lease even with hard driving, and you'll be able to truly push and trust your car in the conditions specific for each set of tires.

Just my $0.02
So what did you do? Just throw the stock all-season run-flats on the shelf and buy 2 other sets?
Old 12-27-2016, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by asc
So what did you do? Just throw the stock all-season run-flats on the shelf and buy 2 other sets?
Yes, exactly.

Well, I haven't bought the summer tires/wheels yet. That'll come in the spring along with some H&R lowering springs
Old 12-27-2016, 10:42 AM
asc

2023 E63s
Thanks...I haven't decided what to do with the tires yet, but this is all very helpful. I don't plan to drive it a ton in the snow. And I have a low-mileage lease (7.5k/yr). So 2 new sets of tires isn't happening. If it doesn't feel right in the winter I may get winter tires, but I'm hoping to just use the stock tires throughout the lease. Anyone know how MB treats worn treads at the end of a lease? Seems like something that should be included because it's unavoidable if you drive the car...
Old 12-27-2016, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Oh and also, I mis-read your post about the all seasons. I thought you were buying them. I completely overlooked that you were talking about the run flats that came stock.

I would shelf those tires ASAP. I've heard nothing but horror stories of them only lasting ~10,000 miles before needing replaced. And they are NOT cheap tires.

Shelf them and save yourself some money in the long run by getting 2 good sets of tires. You have to turn the car in with run flats that are in good shape. So if you're going to spend the money on tires anyway, might as well be great tires.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:20 AM

2016 C450
Originally Posted by asc
Thanks...I haven't decided what to do with the tires yet, but this is all very helpful. I don't plan to drive it a ton in the snow. And I have a low-mileage lease (7.5k/yr). So 2 new sets of tires isn't happening. If it doesn't feel right in the winter I may get winter tires, but I'm hoping to just use the stock tires throughout the lease. Anyone know how MB treats worn treads at the end of a lease? Seems like something that should be included because it's unavoidable if you drive the car...
I see your dilemma, man. It was easy for me, as I didn't lease, and might keep the car for 3 or 4 years. My car came with the 19s with summer, so I just get a set of 18s for winter. I might change the car next year for the E50 coupe, but in any case, my winter tires will still work on the E class
Old 12-27-2016, 11:38 AM
asc

2023 E63s
In light of all of this, can anyone recommend a solid set of 18" all-season tires that will work well in low temps / light snow? Would a set of AS/3+ be a good choice?

Last edited by asc; 12-27-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 181 Likes on 142 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by asc
In light of all of this, can anyone recommend a solid set of 18" all-season tires that will work well in low temps / light snow? Would a set of AS/3+ be a good choice?
continental dws 06
michelin pilot sport a/s 3+
Old 12-27-2016, 11:46 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 MB-AMG GLC43
I am riding Blizzaks for the winter. They do pretty well even in lots of snow.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by asc

I just swapped out the stock Contis for Pilot AS 3+. So far the AS3+ have performed well in rain, slush, and light ice and snow. They are not winter tires though. They will work in areas that get occasional winter snow if you drive carefully. They are Y speed rated but I have not been able to test them on the twisties just yet.

The Contis OTOH were horrible on snow and ice. No traction at all. They are living in the garage until next spring.

BTW, I am running on the 19'' rims.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Polar White C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Mr. J
They are Y speed rated but I have not been able to test them on the twisties just yet.

BTW, I am running on the 19'' rims.

Keep us posted how they do in the twisties.

I want to take off the Pirelli runflats and put either AS3+ or possibly even MPSS. If the AS3+ work well in reasonable performance situations they are probably better for me as they should last quite a bit longer than an MPSS.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:59 AM
asc

2023 E63s
Just picked it up. Re: tires, it has the Conti SSR GX on it, which should be good for all season (better than the SSR5 anyway). So I'll see how those do this winter and change if necessary. I'll post pics shortly.

Last edited by asc; 12-28-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
It's actually very bad to warm up your car at idle. If you do it every once in a while, no big deal. But every day for 4 months through winter, you're really screwing things up. dumping fuel into cold cats, washing the cylinder walls down, and running ineffective oil through the motor. Over time, this can be devastating to the longevity of the motor and components. Don't believe me? Ask any engineer that has the slightest clue how an ICE works.

I understand the reasoning to have your car warm up at idle for 10 minutes and have it warm and ready for you to jump it, but grow a pair man. Seriously, I expect this from my girlfriend, but that is ridiculous coming from a guy.

If you drive the car with a little load on it for just a couple blocks, you'll warm the engine up just as fast as idling for 5 minutes and 5 years from now, the engine will still hold great compression.

But I'm guessing people like you don't really care about "5 years down the line" since you're lease will be up and you'll be on to screwing up your next lease...
What decade was this information intended for? (it had to start with 19xx)...

The M 276 engine has a very very precise fuel injection system. When fuel is injected into the cylinders to be burned, it is already atomized into a fine mist that burns completely and very efficiently. There are many sensors that monitor the combustion process to ensure complete fuel burn and will adjust many parameters of the quantity of fuel injected as needed. This process happens many times per second. The spark plugs are also pulsed multiple times a second and are adjusted as frequently as needed. No excess fuel will ever be ".....sent into a cold catalytic converter", or "....washed down the cylinder walls", or "....mixed into the crankcase oil." ever...period.

Allowing your vehicle to warm up for an hour a day, every day, for it's life will have absolutely no detriment to any of these systems...period.

Passing off this type of information as being accurate for Mercedes' engines in this decade is scary... please refrain from doing this without a working knowledge of the systems.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by Vipershade
What decade was this information intended for? (it had to start with 19xx)...

The M 276 engine has a very very precise fuel injection system. When fuel is injected into the cylinders to be burned, it is already atomized into a fine mist that burns completely and very efficiently. There are many sensors that monitor the combustion process to ensure complete fuel burn and will adjust many parameters of the quantity of fuel injected as needed. This process happens many times per second. The spark plugs are also pulsed multiple times a second and are adjusted as frequently as needed. No excess fuel will ever be ".....sent into a cold catalytic converter", or "....washed down the cylinder walls", or "....mixed into the crankcase oil." ever...period.

Allowing your vehicle to warm up for an hour a day, every day, for it's life will have absolutely no detriment to any of these systems...period.

Passing off this type of information as being accurate for Mercedes' engines in this decade is scary... please refrain from doing this without a working knowledge of the systems.
HAHAHA oh my. Look at this tough guy.

Dude, my information is correct. These types of problems may not be as prevalent as they were 10-20 years ago, but they are still prevalent. MB didn't some how magically start defying physics just because they are a premium luxury brand that you jerk off too nightly.

Furthermore, you're last line is just hilarious to me. I do understand the ICE thoroughly in and out. If I was in fact wrong and what I was saying was misinformation, it would certainly not be "Scary" and something you should take so personal. You really need to not fly off the handle so easily.

Further furthermore, I will advise you to watch the video I posted. Having never met you, I know for a fact that the person in the video is at least twice and smart as you. Which wouldn't say a whole lot in of itself, but he agrees with my points, so he's obviously at or close to a genius level.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C450 AMG Sport discussion only.