C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C450 AMG Sport discussion only.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F10, F15
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy
My MB sales rep got back to me to let me know that "our Field Product Engineer, he says that unfortunately there's no way to turn the feature off, and it's present in all modes." Arrrggghhhh! I was hoping that a coding change could turn it off, or a wire could be snipped, or something!

It appears that there are various ways to enhance the sound inside and outside the cabin.....

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/5-w...of-their-cars/

If anyone has any knowledge regarding how MB has done this for the C450 and/or what one might do to defeat it, then please pass it along. Just knowing what I'm up against would be a good first step.

If there wasn't a lot to like about the car, then I would have simply moved on. The fact is, there is a lot to like, but this is a huge issue for me.
I feel exactly as you do. Superior car, disturbing exhaust sounds. Keep us posted if you find a solution. In the meantime, I'm looking at other cars.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
I barely hear the exhaust, let alone it being disturbing.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c450 AMG
I literally purchased the car because of the sound sports + mode makes. If you don't like the sound use sports mode and you're straight.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:00 PM

2016 C450
exactly..its a sports sedan..its actually quiet compared to my tuned BMW. Well the one I test drove was quiet; I also had burmester turned up quite a bit.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
Originally Posted by radarguy
I feel exactly as you do. Superior car, disturbing exhaust sounds. Keep us posted if you find a solution. In the meantime, I'm looking at other cars.
Need to find find a solution the like this for BMW: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ho...ity-81539.html

On the Audi S4, one just pulls the fuse on the SoundAktor. even mentioned here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.cGc&cad=rja

"It is imperative that the factory “SoundAktor” system be disabled
to ensure a drone-free sound experience.
The “SoundAktor” is an audio =le that is broadcast over the vehicle’s
stereo system, regardless of what Drive Select mode the
car is set to. On a stock exhaust, this sound =le is supposed to
make the car sound more sporty and aggressive. However,
when combined with the inherent acoustic properties of the AWE
Tuning performance exhaust, the total sound volume becomes
too loud and can be bothersome under light throttle driving conditions.
REMOVAL OF THE SOUNDAKTOR FUSE IS REQUIRED TO ENSURE
COMPLIANCE WITH OUR SATISFACTION GUARANTEE.
To remove fuse, =rst consult the fuse location diagram in your
car’s Owner’s Manual.
Typically, the fuse is labeled “Sound actuator/exhaust sound tuning”
and is located at position 5 of fuse block A on the driver’s
side end of the dashboard. To access this fuse box, wedge a 7at
head screwdriver under its cover to pry it off. Note that there are
three clips, at arrows in Figure 1.
Factory fuse puller tool is at Arrow A"
Old 10-23-2015, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by m444
Need to find find a solution the like this for BMW: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ho...ity-81539.html

On the Audi S4, one just pulls the fuse on the SoundAktor. even mentioned here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.cGc&cad=rja

"It is imperative that the factory “SoundAktor” system be disabled
to ensure a drone-free sound experience.
The “SoundAktor” is an audio =le that is broadcast over the vehicle’s
stereo system, regardless of what Drive Select mode the
car is set to. On a stock exhaust, this sound =le is supposed to
make the car sound more sporty and aggressive. However,
when combined with the inherent acoustic properties of the AWE
Tuning performance exhaust, the total sound volume becomes
too loud and can be bothersome under light throttle driving conditions.
REMOVAL OF THE SOUNDAKTOR FUSE IS REQUIRED TO ENSURE
COMPLIANCE WITH OUR SATISFACTION GUARANTEE.
To remove fuse, =rst consult the fuse location diagram in your
car’s Owner’s Manual.
Typically, the fuse is labeled “Sound actuator/exhaust sound tuning”
and is located at position 5 of fuse block A on the driver’s
side end of the dashboard. To access this fuse box, wedge a 7at
head screwdriver under its cover to pry it off. Note that there are
three clips, at arrows in Figure 1.
Factory fuse puller tool is at Arrow A"
I think the first thing that we need is some kind of proof that the exhaust is in fact being artificially enhanced through the cars speakers. Usually, manufactures do not hide the fact that they are amplifying the sound, but I haven't seen a single external or internal document that even mentions any form of artificial amplification, not even a single word.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C450
i will email my cooperate trainer tomorrow and will ask him to look into the exhaust notes and will get back if viper does not get it before me.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C450
Gas mileage & Odometer Info.

I am one of those nuts that checks gas mileage after each fillup.I filled it for the first time and reset the Trip 2 screen(Trip 1 resets upon start).So far I have driven 191 miles and the overall average is 27.0 mpg.About 120 of those miles were on an interstate were I reset Trip 1 screen and just tracked the interstate mileage which was 29.1 mpg.I was in cruise control where possible and maintained 70 mph.Very good mileage considering I have only 500 miles on the car.While on the interstate I checked the odometer against the mile markers on the road.I found the odometer reads 1.1% low.That is it reads 100 miles for every actual 101.1 miles.I will manually compute the mileage for several tanks to see if the mileage figures in the trip computers are accurate and also add 1.1% to my numbers to compensate for the odometer error.Overall I think very good results.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by Vipershade
I think the first thing that we need is some kind of proof that the exhaust is in fact being artificially enhanced through the cars speakers. Usually, manufactures do not hide the fact that they are amplifying the sound, but I haven't seen a single external or internal document that even mentions any form of artificial amplification, not even a single word.
The engine sounds louder and more assertive too but, as AMG boss Tobias Moers confesses, has some help via the speakers. Not something you'll find in a full AMG model on his watch.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-d...c-driven/31752
Old 10-23-2015, 12:11 PM

2016 C450
The C450 might have lost two cylinders, but that doesn’t mean it’s lacking in aural drama, especially in Sport+ mode. Plumb a twin-blown V6 through AMG exhaust technology and you get a higher, piercing power whine, accompanied by a rat-a-tat-tat crackle on lift off at high revs, like a military snare drum. The throttle is sharp, the ride on these smooth, twisting country roads is more than acceptable, and there’s a very large amount of fun to be had here. The only slight fly in the pudding is the gearbox, which is a tad reluctant to shift with the instant response we’ve come to expect from rivals. And if you want to be critical of the noise, it’s aided by the internal speakers, unlike the C63. I’m not a fan of this artifice, but it is effective.

http://www.crankandpiston.com/on-the...4matic-driven/
Old 10-23-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Anyone who wants a silent but extremely quick/sporty vehicle would be better served with a Tesla. All the speed you want and none of the sound. Another option is the E class which has very nice pickup acceleration and much more muted sound even on the E63 (compared to the C63 of old and possibly even the new one).

For me louder, throatier is my favorite and exhaust such as that found on an AMG GT or F Type is what I would prefer.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:51 PM

2016 C450

Johann, Sven / Eisenmann Exhaust Systems GmbH
12:22 AM (13 hours ago)

to me
Dear Mr. L

thank you very much for your e-mail. Yes, Eisenmann is planning to develop an exhaust for the Mercedes W205 C450 AMG too. The expected market release is planned for mid 2016.

We will drop you an e-mail once technical specs, pricing and delivery times are available.

Thank you for your understanding.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

i.V. Sven Johann

Eisenmann Exhaust Systems GmbH
Saarstraße 45
71282 Hemmingen, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)7150 9574-124
Telefax: +49 (0)7150 9574-120
E-Mail: johann@eisenmann-technik.de
Internet: www.eisenmann-sportauspuff.de
-------------------------------------------
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Handelsregister-Nr: HRB 203581
Umsatzsteuer-Id. Nr.: DE145998986
Geschäftsführer: Rolf Eisenmann
Old 10-23-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 E63S: Former cars 2016 C450, 2013 C350, 2009 C300
Remote start.

Has anyone managed to figure out how to keep the car running when you open the doors after remote start. My car always kills when I open the door and I have to restart it once inside.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:55 PM

2016 C450
Originally Posted by cajun1689
Has anyone managed to figure out how to keep the car running when you open the doors after remote start. My car always kills when I open the door and I have to restart it once inside.
What? So If I pull up next to an ATM and have to open my door and get out to use it, then the car turns off?
Old 10-23-2015, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by willywonka
What? So If I pull up next to an ATM and have to open my door and get out to use it, then the car turns off?
He is talking about remote starting the car from his phone and then opening the door...

I have tried the remote start to see if that worked, but after starting it, I did the remote shutoff. I'll try it again and see what happens.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by cajun1689
Yep, same results. It looks like the door unlock auto-shutoff is by design.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
Originally Posted by Nautilus7
Dear friends,

I'm surprised that so many of you already picked up your cars, but there aren't very many posted photos! I'D LOVE TO SEE PHOTOS!

PS. If anyone has a combo of Polar White and Night Package, please post your photos! I'm very interested to see how it looks in real life as opposed to the "konfigurator".
Thank you!
There are a ton of photos, Vipershade has an entire thread dedicated to photos of his immaculate c450 setup. I myself have also posted a ton of photos on this thread, I have a polar white cranberry red combo, without night package plus though...i wanted a more sleeper look..
Old 10-23-2015, 07:47 PM

BMW 335i
I barely hear the exhaust, let alone it being disturbing.
You're due for a hearing test then. MB apparently went extra lengths to create the sound that you can't hear.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:29 PM

BMW 335i
exactly..its a sports sedan..its actually quiet compared to my tuned BMW. Well the one I test drove was quiet; I also had burmester turned up quite a bit.
Exactly.. it's a sports sedan that allows one to select driving modes that alter the throttle response, suspension, etc., to suit the driver's preference. Changing the driving mode from sport+ to sport mode eliminates the "controlled misfire", but does not completely eliminate all the sound enhancement going on. And I think it's perfectly reasonable for one to want to turn off the enhanced sound.

One may want a set of responsive speakers, but that doesn't mean that they necessarily want a thumping base. You can keep your Bose. I'll keep my Vandersteens. To each his own. Personally, I'd rather not have to crank up the tunes to not hear the artificial engine/exhaust.

Perhaps on their next iterations, auto makers will allow one to also select a sound mode...quiet...aggressive...very aggressive.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:46 PM

BMW 335i
Originally Posted by DapperStyle
Anyone who wants a silent but extremely quick/sporty vehicle would be better served with a Tesla. All the speed you want and none of the sound. Another option is the E class which has very nice pickup acceleration and much more muted sound even on the E63 (compared to the C63 of old and possibly even the new one).

For me louder, throatier is my favorite and exhaust such as that found on an AMG GT or F Type is what I would prefer.
Agree on the Tesla. If I could get one of similar size and price to the C450 at under $65k, that is something that I would definitely be exploring.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:41 PM

2016 C450
Exactly.. it's a sports sedan that allows one to select driving modes that alter the throttle response, suspension, etc., to suit the driver's preference. Changing the driving mode from sport+ to sport mode eliminates the "controlled misfire", but does not completely eliminate all the sound enhancement going on. And I think it's perfectly reasonable for one to want to turn off the enhanced sound.

One may want a set of responsive speakers, but that doesn't mean that they necessarily want a thumping base. You can keep your Bose. I'll keep my Vandersteens. To each his own. Personally, I'd rather not have to crank up the tunes to not hear the artificial engine/exhaust.

Perhaps on their next iterations, auto makers will allow one to also select a sound mode...quiet...aggressive...very aggressive.
I understand what you're saying. Your analogy is ridiculous though and quite condescending. I don't even own any Bose products. I have a set of PSB Gold Towers I have been enjoying for almost 10 years now.

Since you waited for the C450 and passed on the C400, you can always just go back and get the C400. I'm sure you can get a good deal on one of them.

Also the controlled misfire that you are complaining of is pretty close to what happens in actuality just not as deep, throaty on a tuned car.

Last edited by willywonka; 10-23-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:42 PM

2016 C450
He is talking about remote starting the car from his phone and then opening the door...

I have tried the remote start to see if that worked, but after starting it, I did the remote shutoff. I'll try it again and see what happens.
Sorry, I don't have the car yet. I didn't even know there was a remote start.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:00 PM

2016 C450
You're due for a hearing test then. MB apparently went extra lengths to create the sound that you can't hear.
Poster is complaining about the "artificial" exhaust pop off crackle you hear when you come off the throttle in sport + mode.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Poster is complaining about the "artificial" exhaust pop off crackle you hear when you come off the throttle in sport + mode.
Yeah, I know... I haven't looked into the differences in parts between the C-Class variants, but ultimately there is no magic after you determine all of the parts involved. (For all that I know at this point, the standard speakers can be causing the discrepancy ).
Old 10-24-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E63S
I'm trying to figure out what to do with the tires/wheels on my C450. I've got a 3 year lease and the 19" rims. The stock tires are the Contisport Contact SSRs runflats, great summer tire, but winter is closing in fast and that rubber is going to get rock hard. I'm based in northeast Ohio.

I am unsure whether to get 18" rims + tires for the winter, total cost probably $1,200 (Blizzak WS80 + MSW Type 86 rims) or so, or to just take my existing four and get just all season or winter tires, cost probably $800 or so.

Can anyone offer me some advice here? Also curious about having to fork out for a whole other set of TPMS or just re-use existing ones?

Last edited by Bibenstein; 10-24-2015 at 05:13 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C450 AMG Sport discussion only.