C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C450 AMG Sport discussion only.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by iwork4wine
The rim I selected from TR was MODA MD 18 with a 45 mm offset. I will hear what TR suggests on Monday and I will keep you posted but it looks like M-B parts department here I come. I can hear the cha ching of the cash register.
I am confused. The part number quoted for the 18" front wheels (earlier post in this thread) says they have a 44mm offset, is that not the case?

I chatted on TireRack.com this morning, they claim to physically measure every car and guarantee fit, if not you return at their cost.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by petvan
Two things.. For the Canadian who asked on pricing, I'm buying this week and so far the best I've seen is 2700 below MSRP. I'm thinking 3k is doable. Will report back when I close my deal

Secondly, for whatever reason I'm agonizing over color. I love the contrast with the pano roof and the cranberry interior and those 19th multi-color wheels.

Normally I'd just go white here but my last car was white. It does look killer though.

I'm thinking Iridium but I can't for the life of me find any pictures of this combo, especially with with the doors open from the outside to see how the red/silver work together. Anyone have any or have seen any? I've scoured autotrader but few 450 pics so far and none like this.

Cheers,

Pete
I test drove a car that was iridium pano roof. Cranberry seats. Car was loaded. Over $66. It looked legit inside but I didn't like the red/black dual colored seats. Black was on backside of the seats. Had it been all red then I would have done it. The color was gorgeous though.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipershade
Either of the two seat choices can be designo (AMG Sport seats and the 555 AMG Performance seats). The performance seats; however, cannot be vented (regardless of the venting supply issues).
Yup, I'm going with the Sport Seats so it could theoretically be an option...but it doesn't look like *****'s guy is seeing it in the system still.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450
The other OEM option would be the C63's 18" wheel. It would definitely fit:

You might be able to find these in the classified forums (being sold by a C63 owner that was planning a custom wheel).
Although expensive, this is an option I would consider. The C63 wheels however appear to be wider in the front and back, so I'm wondering if there could still be fitment issues due to minor differences between the car dimensions, caliper size, etc...

C450 Front: 225/45-18
C450 Rear: 245/40-18

C63 Front: 245/40-18
C63 Rear: 265/35-18

Anybody have any thoughts..?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:16 PM

2016 C450
Originally Posted by balessi75
Although expensive, this is an option I would consider. The C63 wheels however appear to be wider in the front and back, so I'm wondering if there could still be fitment issues due to minor differences between the car dimensions, caliper size, etc...

C450 Front: 225/45-18
C450 Rear: 245/40-18

C63 Front: 245/40-18
C63 Rear: 265/35-18

Anybody have any thoughts..?
I think thanks a little over 3/4" wider on both front and back
Old 10-26-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
C450 AMG
Dyno and Tune Update: Dyno Session still on for tomorrow morning 9 30 am EST.

I did a little research and spoke to a gentleman at Kleeman. Get this, and this may be news to some and nothing to others.

What I gathered from our convo is that the ECU in these cars is specific to the VIN on the car. Additionally, the ECU is "glued" to the circuit board and requires dis-assembly once sent to the Tuner in order to properly write over the ECU. Furthermore, there is a pin in this ECU that is different than convention, and sorry to butcher this, but essentially it is on the backside and not the front side (from what I gathered, where it normally is). That means the ECU needs to be grounded while re-flashing...ALL in ALL the process according to a guy at Kleeman has a 30% chance of failure rate since it is a bit more tedious than other ECUs.

Anyone know of this, that information has made me super hesitant to send it in for a flash. That is, basically it's no problem on our end removing the ECU, the risk and danger all falls on the Tuner as it becomes quite a delicate process once in their hands...YIKES
Old 10-26-2015, 02:21 PM

'15 C300 4Matic
Forgive me if this has been answered before, but won't C400 wheels fit on the C450? Isn't that basically what they are, just painted in black?

Personally, if I were buying a C450, I'd opt for the 19" wheels w/ summer tires at delivery, and get a used/take-off set of 18" C400 wheels, and then buy some snow tires. The look of the vehicle wouldn't change drastically in winter, but you'd just have to figure out what to do about a spare if you pass on the run-flat winter tires.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:51 PM

2016 C450
I talked to john at renntech today. He told me the tune that is available for the c400 is what you would expect regarding gains for the c450. So if the increase is Gains: +50HP & +55TQ, as stated per their website...those would be the gains on top of whatever is rated at the crank by MB. He estimates with drive train loss that is about 40 extra whp.

Please let me know if anyone has conflicting information.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:52 PM

2016 C450
Originally Posted by sliqdaddy91

I did a little research and spoke to a gentleman at Kleeman. Get this, and this may be news to some and nothing to others.

What I gathered from our convo is that the ECU in these cars is specific to the VIN on the car. Additionally, the ECU is "glued" to the circuit board and requires dis-assembly once sent to the Tuner in order to properly write over the ECU. Furthermore, there is a pin in this ECU that is different than convention, and sorry to butcher this, but essentially it is on the backside and not the front side (from what I gathered, where it normally is). That means the ECU needs to be grounded while re-flashing...ALL in ALL the process according to a guy at Kleeman has a 30% chance of failure rate since it is a bit more tedious than other ECUs.

Anyone know of this, that information has made me super hesitant to send it in for a flash. That is, basically it's no problem on our end removing the ECU, the risk and danger all falls on the Tuner as it becomes quite a delicate process once in their hands...YIKES
wow I just read this after I typed up my post. yes, that is very scary. Not quite as easy as flash for BMW or evo. ha ha.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by sliqdaddy91

I know some guys like to do tune, just for the heck of it, but there comes a time when you have to ask, is it worth it? When is the factory output enough? Is gaining .02 sec such a big deal? I've even seen on other forum guys looking to tune the C63S. I guess to each his own, but the only mod I would do is a proper catback exhaust when they become available, from one of the reputable companies like Akra or Eisenmann
Old 10-26-2015, 02:56 PM

2016 C450
Originally Posted by autopal
I know some guys like to do tune, just for the heck of it, but there comes a time when you have to ask, is it worth it? When is the factory output enough? Is gaining .02 sec such a big deal? I've even seen on other forum guys looking to tune the C63S. I guess to each his own, but the only mod I would do is a proper catback exhaust when they become available, from one of the reputable companies like Akra or Eisenmann
The guys looking to tune their C63s - not sure what to think of that. The extra 100-150 whp. What do you need that for?
Old 10-26-2015, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by C300Ross
Forgive me if this has been answered before, but won't C400 wheels fit on the C450? Isn't that basically what they are, just painted in black?

Personally, if I were buying a C450, I'd opt for the 19" wheels w/ summer tires at delivery, and get a used/take-off set of 18" C400 wheels, and then buy some snow tires. The look of the vehicle wouldn't change drastically in winter, but you'd just have to figure out what to do about a spare if you pass on the run-flat winter tires.

Unfortunately, the brakes on the C400 are smaller than the brakes on the C450. It seems that TireRack may have been using the C450 wheels = C400 wheels logic when iwork4wine made his purchase. I think we should know a little more about this later today, after he talks to TR.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:10 PM

2016 C450
Originally Posted by C300Ross

I did just that and picked up a take-off set from a C400. They are the same tire/wheel size as the 18" that come with the C450, so I was convinced that I would not have an issue. My local dealer however could not fit the front wheels because of of the front calipers. They are much bigger due to to the performance breaks on the C450. They must have machined the width of the spokes to be slightly thinner on the C450 in order to create clearance for the bigger brakes. Learned my lesson on that one. Hope this info helps someone else not make the same mistake...
Old 10-26-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
C450 AMG
Dyno and Tune Updated

Originally Posted by willywonka
wow I just read this after I typed up my post. yes, that is very scary. Not quite as easy as flash for BMW or evo. ha ha.
Just spoke to another tuner and said the ECU flash is relatively straight forward and simple.

Weird, and instead of putting down names and starting a war I will just say it is also a reputable tuner.

The more info we can get the better so perhaps other people should call around and ask about ECU reflashes on these cars!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by balessi75
I did just that and picked up a take-off set from a C400. They are the same tire/wheel size as the 18" that come with the C450, so I was convinced that I would not have an issue. My local dealer however could not fit the front wheels because of of the front calipers. They are much bigger due to to the performance breaks on the C450. They must have machined the width of the spokes to be slightly thinner on the C450 in order to create clearance for the bigger brakes. Learned my lesson on that one. Hope this info helps someone else not make the same mistake...
The info I have from the Mercedes Benz documentation on wheel sizing lists the offset on the front of the C450 as +33mm (and either +44mm or + 49mm rear) vs what seems to me to be +44mm on front of the C400.

Would this explain why the C400 wheels hit the front calipers on your C450?
Old 10-26-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C450
I think the first thing that we need is some kind of proof that the exhaust is in fact being artificially enhanced through the cars speakers. Usually, manufactures do not hide the fact that they are amplifying the sound, but I haven't seen a single external or internal document that even mentions any form of artificial amplification, not even a single word.
Just got a call back from a MB cooperate trainer and this is what he told me :

The new AMG Sport (C450 and GLE450 Coupe)line has “software enhanced” exhaust sound. However, both myself and ***** (our AMG Trainer) were unable to verify that it actually did anything. I heard no difference in the sound, with or without the audio system on and S** manually activated the system with a MB computer and all he got was static. It may be something they use in Europe?

I am waiting for confirmation about car play, but as I understand it, carplay will work in 2016 for NTG5*1, but not NTG5*2. ""

The 2016 C has NTG5*2 =(
Old 10-26-2015, 04:17 PM

2016 C450
Originally Posted by ua6-spec
Just got a call back from a MB cooperate trainer and this is what he told me :

The new AMG Sport (C450 and GLE450 Coupe)line has “software enhanced” exhaust sound. However, both myself and ***** (our AMG Trainer) were unable to verify that it actually did anything. I heard no difference in the sound, with or without the audio system on and S** manually activated the system with a MB computer and all he got was static. It may be something they use in Europe?

I am waiting for confirmation about car play, but as I understand it, carplay will work in 2016 for NTG5*1, but not NTG5*2. ""

The 2016 C has NTG5*2 =(
Sound enhancement through the speakers does not require the audio system to be on. So there is nothing to be gleaned by turning on or off the audio system. The only way to check, would be to remove the fuse that controls the speakers. That trainer doesn't seems to know much, and all C450s (Europe, North America) all have the same sound tech, and sound the same
Old 10-26-2015, 04:31 PM

2016 C450
Originally Posted by Bibenstein
The info I have from the Mercedes Benz documentation on wheel sizing lists the offset on the front of the C450 as +33mm (and either +44mm or + 49mm rear) vs what seems to me to be +44mm on front of the C400.

Would this explain why the C400 wheels hit the front calipers on your C450?
Yup, I just confirmed using a great website http://www.willtheyfit.com. The C400 wheel will sits 11 mm closer to the wheel strut... arggghh....

Old 10-26-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by autopal
Sound enhancement through the speakers does not require the audio system to be on. So there is nothing to be gleaned by turning on or off the audio system. The only way to check, would be to remove the fuse that controls the speakers. That trainer doesn't seems to know much, and all C450s (Europe, North America) all have the same sound tech, and sound the same

well he does state that he plugged the system into a MB computer which lets him listen to the frequencies being generated from the audio speakers and if all he hears is static would that not mean that there is no exhaust notes being generated? I am not a mechanic but that's what I would assume
Old 10-26-2015, 06:16 PM

None
Crap.. just about to order and MB canada site just added a bunch more options

(ventilated??) climat comfort seats, performance seats and 360 camera it looks like.

very little detail on these options of course..

Last edited by petvan; 10-26-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:49 PM

2016 C450

(ventilated??) climat comfort seats, performance seats and 360 camera it looks like.

The 360 camera is an option I really wanted, but missed out on, my car was ordered 2 months ago. The ventilated seats wasn't a big deal for me, but i'm still mistified there is no option for a heated steering wheel
Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 PM

None
Ok, so in Canada I can now order "AMG Performance Seats." Anyone have these? Some sites suggest they are not comfortable, others suggest they are awesome. I believe they only come in black?

The Canadian configurator is I think is broken as choosing this option won't invalidate the 1900 buck upgrade to Cranberry Nappa for example.

They look really cool - love the integrated headpiece, but if they aren't comfortable and probably invalidate my idea of having a red interior, maybe not for me.

P
Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 PM

None
Not sure if this is on here, but appears the ordering guide for the 2016 C450.

Note, it's a PDF, so if you click it downloads immediately.

http://tinyurl.com/p5mnexg

Pete
Old 10-26-2015, 08:06 PM

Shopping 2019 GLC 63s
Originally Posted by Bibenstein
I am confused. The part number quoted for the 18" front wheels (earlier post in this thread) says they have a 44mm offset, is that not the case?

I chatted on TireRack.com this morning, they claim to physically measure every car and guarantee fit, if not you return at their cost.
You are correct that TR will offer a RTV when the tires do not fit. I just had packaging materials shipped to me today. Refer to Jane's email from TireRack

================================================== ================================================== ====================

Thank you for your patience. Our techs agree that we need to bring the package back because they are concerned that we don’t have the right vehicle scanned into our database to confirm fitment with the larger Brembo brakes.

They’re thinking it could be a performance brake package dealer installed upgrade. We don't know and need to scan a car with the same setup to confirm fitment.

I am sending you packaging material to package these up and send them back. Below is also a link on how to repackage:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=304

Please let me know when these would be available for pick-up. Since it was a fitment issue, you will receive credit in full.

In the meantime, I’ll see if Butch is able to find a different fitment for you. I’m not sure if we can guarantee anything since the car is so new and it appears we may not have had a good vehicle scan on the package with the bigger brakes.

Thank you again,
Jane

================================================== ================================================== ====================

I have other information. I contacted MBUSA customer service and they will offer a tire package (allegedly on 11/15) that includes the items in pic 1.

To me this is worthless since the Pilot Alpin PA4's are non-run flat tires. I do not like run flats but I like spare tires in my trunk even less.

I am actually going to pursue OEM rims in Canada since they are about half the price as in the US. M-B Toronto is selling the OEM rims for CAD $3,257 (~$2,450 USD). My local dealership is selling each rim for $1,254 and they are on back-order, Ughhh. I am not sure if they will ship them but we'll see tomorrow. Maybe I can bribe one of my on-line Canadian buddies to ship the rims.
Attached Thumbnails C450 AMG Sport discussion only.-image004.png  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tire-wizard.pdf (38.3 KB, 299 views)
Old 10-26-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things

US site has had the 360 camera for a while, still no "climate" seats.
Looks like $1200 Canadian for the seats. Yikes, pretty big stand alone, if that is close to the US price (if they are offered in the US) I may stay away, despite having really wanted them before.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C450 AMG Sport discussion only.