C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Quiet Tire recommendations...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' CLS500. 07' Cayman S, Track Audi A4 (500+ HP), 07' Ducati 1098, M6 (on order)
Quiet Tire recommendations...

I replaced my stock wheels and tires at 12K miles and now I currently have Continental Contisport Contact 2's on my 20" BBS LM's...while they were pretty quiet when I got them on my 20" BBS LM's at start. They are starting to get a bit noisy at 23K. I replaced the stock wheels and tires at 13K (rear tire completely worn to bars) and now I am at 23K and my Continental's are starting to get noisy. I haven't checked the wear, but I'm assuming it's starting to cup a bit and perhaps the camber is wearing the insides a bit as well. Height is stock.

Any recommendations for a quiet tire.

In order of priority would be quiet, life, then grip. I don't plan on throwing this car around anyhow...just need something that cruises well.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:23 PM

S55, ML350
conti 3's are awesome, less noise than 2's but they are still a high performance tire, as far as the quietest tire available with performance not as important, i don't think you'll find that kind of advice in an AMG forum... maybe someone will prove me wrong?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:36 PM

06' CLS500. 07' Cayman S, Track Audi A4 (500+ HP), 07' Ducati 1098, M6 (on order)
Originally Posted by mrademacher
conti 3's are awesome, less noise than 2's but they are still a high performance tire, as far as the quietest tire available with performance not as important, i don't think you'll find that kind of advice in an AMG forum... maybe someone will prove me wrong?

The reason why I posted my question here is most people on the CLS forum have the stock tires on it. Most of you folks here are a bit more mod bug bitten. =X
Old 02-16-2007, 11:01 PM

06 CLS55
Correct me if im wrong, but the softer the compound the less noise the tire makes. Another thing we tend to over look is tire pressure this also affects noise.

Unfortunately the softer the tire the less miles you will get out of it. The P-Zeros are great tires but will not last long. I just recently replaced my stock tires after 11,000. I chose cheap *** tires considering the frequency of replacing them.

Performance is definately not the same, it most obvious on turns the traction really isn't there. I am definately a wuss when it comes to speed so the choice was obvious when I replaced them. Fastest I have taken the 55 is 120

Does this make any sense or am I rambling again, the wife says I have a tendancy to ramble. "Ramble On"

Clos
Old 02-16-2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by clos
Correct me if im wrong, but the softer the compound the less noise the tire makes. Another thing we tend to over look is tire pressure this also affects noise.

Unfortunately the softer the tire the less miles you will get out of it. The P-Zeros are great tires but will not last long. I just recently replaced my stock tires after 11,000. I chose cheap *** tires considering the frequency of replacing them.

Performance is definately not the same, it most obvious on turns the traction really isn't there. I am definately a wuss when it comes to speed so the choice was obvious when I replaced them. Fastest I have taken the 55 is 120

Does this make any sense or am I rambling again, the wife says I have a tendancy to ramble. "Ramble On"

Clos
I wouldn't necessarily say the softer the compound the less noisey it is. I've been out of the scene for a while...I can't keep up with what new products are out there. I'd say the tread pattern would be pretty important as well. I remember I've tried P-zero's, Toyo T1-S, Bridgestone SO3's, Continental Contisport Contact 2's, I currently have michelins on cayman S...haven't even bothered to look what they are since they are coming off. And I think I've had some Falcon's, some other yokohamas....to this say the best handling tire I've had were the SO3's. Those things were the shiet! Gripped well...but they did make a weird hollow bouncing noise when you were cruising. That's the best way I can explain it.

There's so much new technology out there...I'm sure tires have gotten much better in the last 3 years....
Old 02-16-2007, 11:57 PM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Tread design has a big impact on noise as well. The Toyo T-1R's are much quieter than the Conti Sport Contacts they replaced.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
try some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. They are all season, have excellent performance, and are pretty quiet.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:11 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Eric H.
I replaced my stock wheels and tires at 12K miles and now I currently have Continental Contisport Contact 2's on my 20" BBS LM's...while they were pretty quiet when I got them on my 20" BBS LM's at start. They are starting to get a bit noisy at 23K. I replaced the stock wheels and tires at 13K (rear tire completely worn to bars) and now I am at 23K and my Continental's are starting to get noisy. I haven't checked the wear, but I'm assuming it's starting to cup a bit and perhaps the camber is wearing the insides a bit as well. Height is stock.

Any recommendations for a quiet tire.

In order of priority would be quiet, life, then grip. I don't plan on throwing this car around anyhow...just need something that cruises well.
You should try the Bridgestone RE050, it is a very good tyre and also quieter than the conti's. I have the PS2's at present but my last set of RE050's were quieter.......but the trade off is that they don't last as long as the PS2's.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
try some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. They are all season, have excellent performance, and are pretty quiet.
I think that's what's on my cayman. They are pretty quiet right now....but then again they are pretty much brand new.