C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Cancelling 1 year/100K mile extended CPO warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
Cancelling 1 year/100K mile extended CPO warranty?

Hello,

Sorry if i'm not posting in the correct forum. I have searched the board extensively and can't find an existing answer.

I have an '06 cls55 that i bought used from a MB dealership in '07. At that time, I purchased a 1 year/100K mile extended CPO warranty from the dealership for $2,395. However, now that I drive the car very little (~1500 miles/year as i have a commuter car for work), I want to cancel the extended CPO warranty.

The car had 24K miles on it at the time I bought it, and I have put less than 3K miles on it in a bit over two years.

So, i contacted the dealership and told them I wanted to cancel it and get a refund. Initially they said "no problem, send us a fax stating so, and we'll get you a refund.". Well, after a couple weeks go by and no check in the mail, I call them back and they say that they are having a problem getting the money back from MBUSA, as they are stating that the 1 yr extended CPO warranty was "not an option, and part of the sale of the car". This despite the fact that the extended CPO warranty was "sold" to me as an option at the time that i bought the car.

In the end however, the dealership did refund me $800 of the $2,395 and basically said they were doing it as a favor to me and that the CPO warranty cost $1,595 from MBUSA and could not be cancelled/refunded. I guess that the $800 difference was dealership profit? Regardless, if what they are saying is true, then I do appreciate that they did refund me the $800.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on, but does anyone have any experience with this, or know if the dealership is telling me the truth before i try to contact MBUSA directly to try to cancel it and get a refund?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
if you paid for a product that clearly you havent used yet and the time hasnt taken effect yet you should get all your money back... it seems to me the 800 they gave u was shut up money, to see if you go away.. i would take this to the top meaning the regional mgr for MBUSA near you call corporate and have the local rep give you a call.. bottom line if you paid extra for it than it was an option.. I had an issue with my bme 530i the dealer ketp giving me BS over and over and then I called corporate and made a complaint and after a couple weeks the regional mgr from BMWusa and I spoke end of story he more than fixed my concern and paid me alot more than what i thought i was goin to get..

moral of the story .. if its about getting money , push it to the top and as far as you can mention that youd hate to get your attorney involved for something petty and that your not asking for a favor let them know you just want whats rightfully yours! I would keep it going 2300 is a nice amt of change to have back.. others will chime in...
Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 PM

SL63
Keep It !

Keep the warranty because $800 is less then most repairs.

Are you reading this owners forum at all ? many posts are for repair advice. Not driving does not mean repairs will not be needed. Ask any owner of a Sunday driver car the same things break after a few years.

A. Intercoolers and superchargers = big repair bills.
B. Big selling point down the road !!! >$800 return
C. $75,000 verses $$800
D. Pick any forum and read the last 30 days of posts.
E. Unless your planning some serious mods that void your warranty......

https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-...00-repair.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ems-fixes.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...wning-clk.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-blows-up.html
Old 08-24-2009, 12:10 AM

'06 CLS55 AMG
Thanks guys for both your input. Both are very valid.

Turbotom1, yes, I do frequent the board a lot (more reading than posting) and yes, the number of threads about repairs does concern me. I do hear you about the Sunday driver thing, and certainly agree that something is just as likely (if not more) to go wrong. Very good point, and yes, the $1595 is cheap insurance if something is to go wrong, as i'm sure it will easily cost more than that to have to fix on my own.

But to your point E., one thing that does concern me is that my car is moderately modified (20" wheels, renntech ELM, renntech airbox, headers, exhaust, kleeman pulley/ECU tune), so i'm not sure that it would even be covered in case something does break?

trboda6, you're right, i could always try to go straight to MBUSA to see what can be done and i very well might. for some reason, like you said, it feels like the $800 check that they sent me was "shut up money".

But in the end, i have to decide if the $1,595 is worth it for the 1 year extended CPO warranty, and it very might well be!

Anyway, thanks again guys for your very insightful feedback, i really appreciate it!
Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
Look at your contract. It has a section that states what warranty you purchased and for how long.. Also a few lines after the selling price there is another place where the cost of the warranty will be. If there is no cost there then the sales guy pulled a fast one on you. With that said, you stated that it was a "one year" warranty and you have had the car for two years, So that in its self would be the end of your case.. They may have told you at the point of sale that the car comes with a 1 year mbz warranty and that would cost $x,xxx if purchased.. Very tricky wording goes on at MBZ Dealerships.. I can't say how I know about the contracts so well or what I'm talking about, I don't want to get suspended again .. Good luck. PM me if you need any help...
Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS500
Dealership may very well be correct as CPO isn't technically an extended warranty it just includes the extended warranty as one of the benifits. Technically they did complete the gazillion point inspection to "certify" your vehicle. If you had purchased an extended warranty over and above the cpo I dont believe you would have any issue getting you money back.

rarfinancial - cpo warranty extension does not begin until you are out of the new car warranty, at which point it extendeds the warranty an additional year and/or 100k miles which ever comes first
Old 08-27-2009, 11:39 PM

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by lweisenb
Dealership may very well be correct as CPO isn't technically an extended warranty it just includes the extended warranty as one of the benifits. Technically they did complete the gazillion point inspection to "certify" your vehicle. If you had purchased an extended warranty over and above the cpo I dont believe you would have any issue getting you money back.

rarfinancial - cpo warranty extension does not begin until you are out of the new car warranty, at which point it extendeds the warranty an additional year and/or 100k miles which ever comes first
Thanks again folks for your input. lweisenb, you are 100% correct. MBUSA just returned my call today, and they explained it exactly like the dealership did; the $1,595 I ended up paying for the extended CPO warranty is NOT refundable as it is just "part of the purchase price of the car". They said that if, at the time that i purchased the car, i had purchased ADDITIONAL months BEYOND the 1yr/100K mile CPO warranty, that those could have been cancelled/refunded.

So, long story short, for my situation i just have to look at it in the positive light that at least i saved myself $800 for asking, and that for $1,595, i can sleep a bit better at night for that year after the original 4 yr new car warranty runs out, which for our cars could be recouped even for one relatively minor repair.

Again, thanks all!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:47 PM

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Look at your contract. It has a section that states what warranty you purchased and for how long.. Also a few lines after the selling price there is another place where the cost of the warranty will be. If there is no cost there then the sales guy pulled a fast one on you. With that said, you stated that it was a "one year" warranty and you have had the car for two years, So that in its self would be the end of your case.. They may have told you at the point of sale that the car comes with a 1 year mbz warranty and that would cost $x,xxx if purchased.. Very tricky wording goes on at MBZ Dealerships.. I can't say how I know about the contracts so well or what I'm talking about, I don't want to get suspended again .. Good luck. PM me if you need any help...
Thanks Rick. Yes, they used VERRRY tricky wording when i bought the car. the way they presented it was as an option for me to purchase, which is why i thought i could cancel it! nice to know that they made a quick & easy $800 off of me for doing the CPO inspection and filling out some paperwork!