C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Porting, Polishing, and Cams project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:19 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is good to know that they are willing to stand behind their product though...at least it looks positive!
Old 04-26-2007, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Schrick Cams Problems

Originally Posted by jgsx
Rumor is that Kleeman cams == Schrick cams
Actually, I've always thought the same thing until last year when a member on this board who had Kleemann cams installed in his C32 confirm that they are not. He told me that he asked Kleemann if Schrick makes their cams, and they said no.

Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
get the cams measured before you send them back...this way you have some evidence in case they try to blame something else...
+1... I would take pictures, measurements, videos, and everything else you can think of just in case any issues arise later.

In the mean time, have fun with the car....
After all this, you definately deserve it....
Old 04-26-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Just a question there: high lift camshaft wouldn't hurt the mid range torque?

Cheers.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Actually, I've always thought the same thing until last year when a member on this board who had Kleemann cams installed in his C32 confirm that they are not. He told me that he asked Kleemann if Schrick makes their cams, and they said no.

+1... I would take pictures, measurements, videos, and everything else you can think of just in case any issues arise later.

In the mean time, have fun with the car....
After all this, you definately deserve it....
Ok. I wasn't sure if they were the same. I had heard from a few auto soruces that they were likely the identical product.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:04 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Update

MB did the compression test and the left side has 150 PSI across the board. The right side starts out at 150 PSI, then 120 PSI, then 60 PSI.

I have taken the adivce of John and Vadim and MB is going to measure the right side lobes and see if there is a difference. If they are different, then they are going to remove them and install the AMG cams. If they are the same, then I will have to come up with a plan B.

Vadim - Sound right? What should we do if the cams measure the same?

They are also going to let me take pictures of the measurements if they are off.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:06 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by jgsx
Ok. I wasn't sure if they were the same. I had heard from a few auto soruces that they were likely the identical product.
They are the same....Kleeman wouldn't advertise this fact.

I have had two people from Schrick mention that they have agreements with these tuners and sell them an exclusive cam.

It could all be hot air.....but you never know.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even though they may make the cams for other tuners does not mean that they are the same exact profiles. They usually grind them to each tuner's specs. It would be interesting to measure both sets to see the differences, just as it would be to test the PSS-9's and Carlsson RS's for shock valving specs. Very hard to find two owners with these mods to take them off the car and do testing. Keep up the hard work!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:46 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
In agreement with MarcusF

Hi Folks: My Main PC took a hi from lighting . So I'm limited to posting Pictures. As engineering Buddys, we like to post true numbers , on any changes we have made, We may not know when to come in out of the rain, It is our focus & dedication to record true facts at the best of our capibility. So we may have some repetibility on Our Mods. Although I did not go as full out as others on the porting. I did post some flow bench Numbers. We also used a (J)tip on the end of the probe, As recommended By Jim McFarland & Smokey Yunick. Well Todays post is the Valve spring height assy & pressures . Happy Motoring from the SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS ___PTE___

You May want to Visit the W-211 threads & Type in { Project___PTE___ } or W-209 clk 5.5 amg { ___PTE___ project } I've got some good Flow bench Pictures there

Last edited by PTE; 04-27-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:02 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Car is back from the dealership

Well, I got my car back today with the AMG cams installed and it runs fine.

MB did measure the lobes on the cams and did notice a difference from one lobe to the other. They also did a compression check and Cyl 1 is back up to 150 PSI.

I have to go back tomorrow because my check engine light is on due to an O2 sensor and they didn't have it in stock.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:49 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Well, I have had the car a few days now and have managed to put 200 miles on it. It is running very rich, and this is something I thought my car would never do, considering all of the previous vacuum leak issues, etc.

I have a front O2 sensor that is out and I'm waiting on the part to arrive at MB so I can go have it installed.

There is a small amount of black smoke that is coming from the exhaust when the car is at idle. The rough idle has also returned, and the car shakes like a hungry old 5.0 Mustang.

I'm not going to post my thoughts on the new power... I have had the C280 so long that I don't remember how it use to feel. I do know that the throttle in more sensitive and it does seem to have more of a "peppy" feel to it.

I will try and get a Dyno done before the end of the week.

The Schrick cams will be going back tomorrow if I can't find a local company to measure them for me. I want to be certain they are the issue before I send them off.

I'm now debating on sending the ECU back to Renntech to have it flashed back to the old map. I'm sure the new map and added fuel can't be good considering I don't have the cams installed.

Wish me luck at the Dyno...
Old 04-30-2007, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
If you are having O2 sensor problems you should get that resolved before having the ECU re-flashed and dyno's done. MB does not have an O2 sensor in stock?

Lets hope the O2 is causing all the rough idle problems.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
hang in there Jerry.

the rough idle and "black smoke" makes me think you have a misfire. the black smoke may be unburnt fuel.

i agree with zep. get the o2 sorted out 1st before dynoing.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:33 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Yup...I tried to get it installed Saturday, but the part didn't arrive. I was told it should arrive this afternoon, but I won't be able to make it until tomorrow. The Dyno Appt should be around Friday.

I'm driving the car like a grandma now.....I wouldn't dream of putting her on the dyno like this.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Yup...I tried to get it installed Saturday, but the part didn't arrive. I was told it should arrive this afternoon, but I won't be able to make it until tomorrow. The Dyno Appt should be around Friday.

I'm driving the car like a grandma now.....I wouldn't dream of putting her on the dyno like this.
Good luck Jerry. I'm still waiting on new headers before I can start the car.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK32
Any Updates?!?!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:57 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by 430
Any Updates?!?!
MB ordered by the wrong O2 sensor, so I said $%$% them and drove to another MB dealership and picked up the 02 sensor I needed. I had a friend who owns a repair shop put it in for me. I then went next door and had a guy with a StarDAS clear the adaptations / error codes.

The car runs like a monster now. No rough idling or hesitation. I got 17 Mpg to the gallon on the way home.....which is much better than the 10 I was getting earlier this morning.

I'll hit the Dyno ASAP and let you know the results.

Anyone care to guess what my gains will be...if any?

The person who gets closest without going over will win a nice Mercedes flashlight, pen, and tire pressure gauge combo set (see pic).
Attached Thumbnails Porting, Polishing, and Cams project-4baa_1.jpg  
Old 05-02-2007, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
The car runs like a monster now. No rough idling or hesitation. I got 17 Mpg to the gallon on the way home.....which is much better than the 10 I was getting earlier this morning.

The person who gets closest without going over will win a nice Mercedes flashlight, pen, and tire pressure gauge combo set (see pic).
Jerry i say 10 hp from midband up to 15 hp peak. dynos are not consistent tho.....your 1/4 miles times may be more indicative of the added power.

i am relieved for you....almost like it was my own car.

thanks for taking this on. you have big *****.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I don’t think O2 sensors have any effect on a dyno run. O2 sensors are only used when the engine is in closed loop mode. They go into closed loop at idle and at cruise. On a regular dyno pull, the engine is at wide open throttle (WOT). Bosch fuel injection systems use maps to regulate fuel at WOT. I’ve removed the factory O2 sensor and plugged in a wideband for dyno runs – leaving the OEM cable unplugged. The light comes on, but it has no effect on the run.

I think you’re making the right decision in doing the dyno run with the existing ECU code. If the AF ratios are good, you’re probably OK. I’d have reservations about undoing the flash because the timing was probably changed when the ECU was remapped and you may not wish to loose that. As for the reflash causing it to run rich while in closed loop mode (with working O2 sensors), that usually isn’t the case. You may wish to call Renntech and confirm that the car is capable of running normally (lean) while in closed loop mode. If it can’t, then I have no idea how anyone in California passes smog with an ECU that Renntech has reflashed. Our smog tests are designed around the car being in closed loop mode.

I also think you did the right thing in getting the O2 sensor as soon as possible. With a dead O2 sensor, the ECU will use maps for idle and cruise. The default maps are quite a bit richer than being in closed loop, and running rich for prolonged periods at idle and cruise will overheat (and kill) the cats.

I'm guessing a 27 HP peak increase on the dyno
Old 05-02-2007, 11:08 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by MarcusF
I'm guessing a 27 HP peak increase on the dyno[/FONT]
I'll say 28 HP (the ol' +1 technique on the price is right FTW!!!!).
Old 05-02-2007, 11:16 PM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by TJ_Andrews
I'll say 28 HP (the ol' +1 technique on the price is right FTW!!!!).
Nah, I say he gains 31 rwhp. (he's happy, it passes the butt dyno, and he's giving out prizes!)
Old 05-02-2007, 11:36 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Nah, I say he gains 31 rwhp. (he's happy, it passes the butt dyno, and he's giving out prizes!)
If he gains anywhere near those numbers at the wheel, I'm sure he'd be happy, cause that's impressive.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
C32 Stage 2+ Dyno Guess With Polished and Ported Heads

Jerry, I call 30 wheel horsepower increase over last dyno...

Last edited by MB_Forever; 05-02-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:47 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Wow, you guys are optimistic!

I do have to admit that the numbers will be a little off. If you remember my last dyno, I was struggling with the car running a little lean. There was a slight knock at the top end that was annoying and I never thought it would be fixed. Well, even though I don’t have the cams installed, I’m happier that the car now runs correctly and hopefully the A/F Ratios will be right on target. It sucks that this couldn’t have gotten fixed sooner, because we will only have an estimate of what the porting / valve job will give us in the power department.

I’m going the refrain from posting my thoughts on the power because I have never been a good street tuner. In fact, I thought the car was making more power when it actually was making -20Whp!

There are a few spots by my house where I have done some runs over the past year and I have managed to keep a log of those times / speeds. I have an idea, I just don't want to throw your guesses off.

On a side note, I was heading to the office this morning when a sexy new Porsche turbo pulled up beside me, waited a second, then he nailed it. You know me… I had to follow close behind him. At the next light, he was first and I was second, and there was about 1 mile of open road in front of us. I could see him looking back at me in the mirror while he was rocking his car forward. I knew I was going to lose the race, but I wanted to see what his car would do and how brave he was on a 40mph street. Well, the light turned green and of course he nailed it. Being the sucker that I am for fast cars, I did the same. He was about 3 car lengths ahead when we hit 80, then he let off. If I was driving that car, I would have beaten me in to the ground. At the next light I pulled up beside him and I looked over to see a thumbs up coming from him. I returned the gesture and when the light turned green, I slowly drove off. It’s nice to find a guy that likes to play and appreciates fast cars. It was cool to see him shift too. When he would change gears I would gain fast, then he would pull again. I love the consistent power of our car….if he would have missed a shift, I would have hit his bumper for sure.

Here a couple of low res camera phone pics that I snapped.
Attached Thumbnails Porting, Polishing, and Cams project-img028.jpg   Porting, Polishing, and Cams project-img029.jpg  
Old 05-03-2007, 11:29 AM

C32 and 98 C5 Vert
Without the cams, I am guessing a total of 353rwhp. I picked up 32 rwhp from stage 2 heads on my vette without milling them.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:34 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by cscollis
Without the cams, I am guessing a total of 353rwhp. I picked up 32 rwhp from stage 2 heads on my vette without milling them.

LOL...The last dyno run was over 360Whp. The graphs that are on here are old.

-7 here we come!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Porting, Polishing, and Cams project