Resetting the ECU?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Resetting the ECU?

How often does every one reset their ecu? Should ecu be reset monthly? Will this damage the vehicle in any way?

When I first got my car back from the shop, I'm assuming they reset the ecu because they were working on some electrical components, the car was very responsive and sounded aggressive. Now the car seems lack luster and does not even growl as it use to. Not only that, but my gas mileage has started to decrease recently. I'm not sure if resetting the ecu would have much affect or if I have another problem, but I'm pretty sure it is going to help.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I did search, https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=ecu+reset

I just want to see how often every one does it. My car felt great for over a month. I read some people were doing it weekly, but I just want to get an idea if people are really doing it and what they've noticed afterward, not only throtle repsonse, but if the gas mileage increased as well.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
I've done mine twice since I purchased the car in January. The only noticeable change I've seen, is that it allows you to "re-train" the transmission into a more aggressive shift mode. Once you do the reset, you need to make some spirited sprints down the road so that the adaptive transmission will learn your aggressive driving habits, and hence try to mimick them itself. I'm not convinced the car becomes any faster by doing this, but much like the Sprintbooster concept, it causes the car to feel better per the shift points and throttle response. It certainly doesn't find any "missing horsepower" though.

There is no harm in doing it as often as you like. It simply clears the "brain", and allows it to re-learn. It's not a new concept at all, as even my 1987 Grand National ECM will somewhat learn and adapt once it has been unplugged and restarted. MB just has a much better version of this adaptability, which would be expected...
Old 04-25-2008, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question

Question if you have a Sprintbooster installed should you still do this?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' C32 - 07' H2 - 07' BMW K1200R
Originally Posted by c32used
I am not a "Tuner" or MB Mechanic, and I sure as hell don't play one on TV...but I am going to take a stab at this one and say that you are fine doing it with a Sprintbooster installed.

The SB just amplifies (modifies) the "pedal position" signal being sent to the ECU. Our cars are kind of "drive by wire", the accelerator pedal does not have a mechanical link to the throttle. Instead there is an electronic position sensor that constantly monitors what our right foot is doing, and how fast it is being done.

Resetting the adaptive transmission program (ECU reset) just dumps the memory (or not so memorable) behavior of your right foot

After the reset, your ECU will just start listening to Mr. SprintBooster screaming a little bit faster & louder...again - and "adapt" all over again.

I wish I could baffle you with a more technical explanation than this, but I am just not there yet!

I did not even know about "resetting" the ECU's adaptive transmission program until a month or so after I installed the SprintBooster. I have never reset it without the SB installed.

Everything is working just fine here! (knock on wood)

Last edited by C32-4ME; 04-25-2008 at 03:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-25-2008, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
its fine. ive been driving with the sprintbooster for over a year and have been resetting the ECU before and during that period of time. no problems whatsoever!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by C32-4ME
I am not a "Tuner" or MB Mechanic, and I sure as hell don't play one on TV...but I am going to take a stab at this one and say that you are fine doing it with a Sprintbooster installed.

The SB just amplifies (modifies) the "pedal position" signal being sent to the ECU. Our cars are kind of "drive by wire", the accelerator pedal does not have a mechanical link to the throttle. Instead there is an electronic position sensor that constantly monitors what our right foot is doing, and how fast it is being done.

Resetting the adaptive transmission program (ECU reset) just dumps the memory (or not so memorable) behavior of your right foot

After the reset, your ECU will just start listening to Mr. SprintBooster screaming a little bit faster & louder...again - and "adapt" all over again.

I wish I could baffle you with a more technical explanation than this, but I am just not there yet!

I did not even know about "resetting" the ECU's adaptive transmission program until a month or so after I installed the SprintBooster. I have never reset it without the SB installed.
+1

I would go so far as to say that resetting adaptations is a must with the Sprintbooster. I remember a thread way back when that discussed this and the general consensus was that it was a must.
In my case, I noticed that resetting the ECU (a la 'sneaky ECU reset' method) wasn't doing it properly for my car.

So... about every two months or so, I remove the sprintbooster. I drive the car around a little and the next day, I replace the sprintbooster, reset the ECU, and have fun!
Changing out the sprintbooster is obviously a pain the ****; however, I have it down to no more than a 5 minute procedure.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Thanks guys for answering my question...
Old 04-25-2008, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Resetting the ECU adaptations is harmless to the car. You can do it once a day if you like. In fact, the transmission is designed to be constantly adapting, which means it erases a previous setting for a new setting. This is what a reset does: it erases an old setting with the default setting (which just happens to be more aggressive).

In my experience, the SprintBooster reduces the need for re-setting the adaptations because it automatically makes your driving style more aggressive but from time to time one still needs a fresh reset. I would say I was resetting my ECU once every 2 weeks without SprintBooster and once every 3 to 4 months with SprintBooster.