C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

carbon fiber Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 c32 99 superduty
The c32 driveshaft is a real winner, It has an unservicable u-joint that flings out all the grease then vibrates.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
c-class drive shafts are not the same, would have been nice if they were. Dealer told me they were all differant. This is going to be a hard mod to do but i will do it. I most liky will be out of a car for a few weeks.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked into this years ago. I decided not to do it due to the headaches. If you can get it done more power to you!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by N.M.M.
I looked into this years ago. I decided not to do it due to the headaches. If you can get it done more power to you!
you are not kidding ive called tons of driveline shops and i'm not getting anywere.
It would be nice to hear what one of the guys from LET, VRP or EVOsport have to say on this.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:09 PM

05 C55
its just not a standard style driveshaft. if they cant use the ends off of a factory shaft, they would probably have to machine billet ends....not cheap
Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
its VERY difficult to do and usually are only done on cars that are very wide spread (like camaros, mustangs, etc). Very few will be doing it for small production runs simply b/c the setup time and R&D to make the prototype is very capital intensive and they need to make sure the overall production run over the life of the product will return the initial investment and then some. Plus its simply not easy turning CF into a shaft and attaching CNC machined ends to it.

Again if you can get it done, mad props, but its difficult to the extreme to say the least. TO me this would seem more logical to do on an E55 but thats just me.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
We can absolutely do a CF shaft. I would need some people to want them.

I have had one on my race car and my street car (both BMW M3's) during development of the e46 one.

It is late so I am not up to going through the thread and responding to each question. However, I am in the thread now and happy to reply to questions moving forward. Fire away.

thanks
Brad
Old 06-14-2008, 02:35 AM

05 C55
thats an easy one....is there a measurable benefit???

Originally Posted by otoupalik
We can absolutely do a CF shaft. I would need some people to want them.

I have had one on my race car and my street car (both BMW M3's) during development of the e46 one.

It is late so I am not up to going through the thread and responding to each question. However, I am in the thread now and happy to reply to questions moving forward. Fire away.

thanks
Brad
Old 06-14-2008, 02:37 AM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
guys did anyone check to see if it is aluminum or not yet? Because as mentioned before, there will not be much of a difference then. All you need is a magnet to find out if it is steel or not.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:43 AM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
very few OEMs will do aluminum b/c it is not as safe as steel. I am almost certain its steel, it may be smaller and less robust in order to save weight but I'm pretty sure its steel.

If you can do something Brad that would be fantastic, There is definitely a market for it.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:53 AM

05 C55
steel

Originally Posted by DarkXerox
guys did anyone check to see if it is aluminum or not yet? Because as mentioned before, there will not be much of a difference then. All you need is a magnet to find out if it is steel or not.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by mkonei
thats an easy one....is there a measurable benefit???
Well yes. Anytime that you increase the efficiency of your drivetrain, you will have a measurable improvement. The better question is "what" and that remains to be seen, as each type of car responds differently.

However, performance improvement as far as hp/q is not the only benefit. A CF DS is much easier on your diff and half-shafts (as the elasticity absorbs much of the driveline shock that would otherwise be transmitted into the diff and beyond). Further, due to the elasticity, it works much like a drag tire to help "snap" the car during the secondary stages of off-the-line acceleration.

Originally Posted by DarkXerox
Steel

Originally Posted by Dr. C36
If you can do something Brad that would be fantastic, There is definitely a market for it.
I need some local buyers, someone who is willing to do this:
  1. say YES, I want one
  2. give me the car and let us measure, examine, etc
  3. Bring the car back in for test fitting once or perhaps twice
  4. give me real world feedback for 30 days prior to final approval for release to others
So if anyone fits that - hit me up.

We are most likely building one for the CLK63 BS this summer anyhow, so adding more MBZ fitments will be a no-brainer.

thanks
brad
Old 06-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I want one. Would the price be comprable to the ones you have for the BMW M3's on evosports website? If you can get a C55 one messured up I'm all over it. and I'm sure the E55 and C32 guys would do it as well if they new it was available as a mod. I would pay $1300-$1500 for one or if you could beat that even better.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Well yes. Anytime that you increase the efficiency of your drivetrain, you will have a measurable improvement. The better question is "what" and that remains to be seen, as each type of car responds differently.

However, performance improvement as far as hp/q is not the only benefit. A CF DS is much easier on your diff and half-shafts (as the elasticity absorbs much of the driveline shock that would otherwise be transmitted into the diff and beyond). Further, due to the elasticity, it works much like a drag tire to help "snap" the car during the secondary stages of off-the-line acceleration.

Steel

1. say YES, I want one
  4. give me real world feedback for 30 days prior to final approval for release to others

We are most likely building one for the CLK63 BS this summer anyhow, so adding more MBZ fitments will be a no-brainer.

thanks
brad
Hello Brad,
I got dibs on being the first Guinnea Pig!

I'm in LA. If you can start it before Victor and Vadim@VRP.

I can leave my car for you for 1 to 2 weeks max.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
I'm in on the group buy $1,000 to $1,500. Can't wait!!!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Founder

Alright guys, I will start working on it Monday. I have an e55 here now we can start with.

Robert, let me start this, then I will talk to you about your car.

thanks
Brad
Old 06-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
There is nothing like a company that listens to its market and customers. We asked and expressed interest and Evosport answered! simply amazing to say the least. I cant wait to get one on my C55 If i was in LA I would be waiting at your shop to hand you over my car.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:56 PM

08 CLS63
So are there any reasons to NOT go with a CF driveshaft?
Old 06-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by lexaltezza
If you're these folks, maybe:

Old 06-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63

Not that i know anything about driveshafts but i cant think of a reason other than a little more expensive not to have a CF drive shaft. From what I've read it just seems like something that should be standard on all cars mainly performance cars. Safer and more efficient with a cf drive shaft you will most likely get more power to the wheels, higher revs, maybe better gas millage, smoother shifts? less stress on the motor, reduction in weight, The list kind of goes on. Granted I've based this on nothing that i have experienced first hand.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Sounds very interesting and I also join in with others in how educated people are on these forumss. For us car novices, how difficult is the process of changing out drive shafts? Being a LONG way from the left coast, I will obviously have to have a qualified mechanic do this and I am quite sure the dealership will not touch this.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by Timeless
Sounds very interesting and I also join in with others in how educated people are on these forumss. For us car novices, how difficult is the process of changing out drive shafts? Being a LONG way from the left coast, I will obviously have to have a qualified mechanic do this and I am quite sure the dealership will not touch this.
A drive shaft install should be done by a good shop they got the tools, lift, etc.. to get he done done right and fast. Not sure what an E55 shaft looks like but my C55 is a 2 piece steel driveshaft. I would think converting to a one piece C/F driveshaft would be the best way to go. Generally speaking 1 piece I had a carbon fiber composite driveshaft in my hands the other day at Dyno-comp in AZ, and then held the stock driveshaft the weight difference is staggering. the stock two piece driveshaft i held must have been 45lbs+ as i was doing curls with it. the C/f drive shaft can be held with one hand kinda felt as light at a thick piece of PVC pipe from Home Depot. i would say the C/F drive shaft was 20lbs at best.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
Only one.... Price... thats the only real barrier to high sales in CF shafts. But for the MB crowd its not really THAT expensive compared to alot of the other pricey mods out there so for us its alot more attractive.

To me the #1 market is E55 (most mod prone, most power, most money in that specific niche market), then the 63 engines, then it will trickle down into the smaller AMGs and eventually non AMGs. Takes time, capital investment and lots of R&D, but its a great product, plus it will really make the car perform much better in the real world. And in an ever increasing price gas market, efficiency is never a bad thing and is yet another selling point.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Founder

well said!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.

Steel

1. say YES, I want one

thanks
brad
Add another CLK63 BS if and when you do it.!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: carbon fiber Driveshaft