C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

anyone know whats wrong with my car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know whats wrong with my car?

my 04 C32 has some problem which dealer cant even find out whats wrong with it. the car has 48000 miles and when its cold, the car bangs into gear from first to second gear around 2000 rpm,like it hits a bump. and it has no probem on other gears. it will go away after driving for 5 to 10 mins and it happens only when I just started the car. when it warm up, the problem will be gone, and shift smoothly. the dealer did a DAS test with no codes, and checked adaptations and oil levels are OK. and they did update software on the car. the dealer told me it migh be delay shifting when the car is cold to make it warm up faster. but i really dont think its the case. if anyone has idea what this might be, please let me know,
Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by boquanzhu
my 04 C32 has some problem which dealer cant even find out whats wrong with it. the car has 48000 miles and when its cold, the car bangs into gear from first to second gear around 2000 rpm,like it hits a bump. and it has no probem on other gears. it will go away after driving for 5 to 10 mins and it happens only when I just started the car. when it warm up, the problem will be gone, and shift smoothly. the dealer did a DAS test with no codes, and checked adaptations and oil levels are OK. and they did update software on the car. the dealer told me it migh be delay shifting when the car is cold to make it warm up faster. but i really dont think its the case. if anyone has idea what this might be, please let me know,
Possible suggestions would include:

1- The car is very smart and adapts itself to your driving style. Reset your ecu and see if it fixes the problem (search ecu reset)

2- TCU - Traction control unit- There was a reflash for this a while back but im not sure that it covered the 04's Search TCU flash- They might have done this..

3- Glycol Contamination- Older c32's had a problem with their radiators that leaked into the transmissions. Search glycol on that one....

These are the typical things we see with that problem....there are others of coarse...
Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by loungn14

1- The car is very smart and adapts itself to your driving style. Reset your ecu and see if it fixes the problem (search ecu reset)

2- TCU - Traction control unit- There was a reflash for this a while back but im not sure that it covered the 04's Search TCU flash- They might have done this..

3- Glycol Contamination- Older c32's had a problem with their radiators that leaked into the transmissions. Search glycol on that one....

These are the typical things we see with that problem....there are others of coarse...
I thought 04's were glycol free.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:13 AM

will reset the ecu remove the upgrade software they put in the car?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 AM
SPONSOR

will reset the ecu remove the upgrade software they put in the car?
nope
Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
My 02 does the same thing. I am 99% sure that it is the torque converter which, when the transmission is cold, locks up under any thing more than very light acceleration. It really is quite shocking when it occurs. . . sort of feels like you just came to the end of a chain attached to your rear bumper. Not sure if there is a fix for it. I just make sure to stay really light on the go pedal until the car is warm (which is a good idea anyways). For more info, search "torque converter." Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002

+1
Old 11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pointman
I thought 04's were glycol free.
I believe the 03-04 were less likely to glycol problems but not immune of it.
The issue has been worked on for many years but got better after MB was more sure of its cause...they updated the original Valeo radiator among other things but they are trying to find cheapest way out if not pretty sure its very costly to them.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn it. This whole glycol thing has me scared owning the 32 long term.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:20 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by pointman
Damn it. This whole glycol thing has me scared owning the 32 long term.
no worries my friend.....if your that uptight about it check ur can and see if you have the valeo radiator. If you do, just swap it and your fine...

Old 11-03-2008, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.

did not have the Valeo problem.
You readapt the tcu not the Ecu.Probably not the problem either.
722.6 transmission had a TSB issue order for shifting problems and resolved with fluid and filter change at 39k miles,mb spec fluid.
They are shining you on about the delay for warm up,the secondary air pump kicks on and fires up the cats in less than two minutes.You might feel a slight upshift in that period,very slight.From your description it sounds like a solenoid or pressure problem,it should not be banging gears.Find a good indie shop,that dealer is heading you towards a new transmission.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by ohlord
You readapt the tcu not the Ecu.Probably not the problem either.
722.6 transmission had a TSB issue order for shifting problems and resolved with fluid and filter change at 39k miles,mb spec fluid.
They are shining you on about the delay for warm up,the secondary air pump kicks on and fires up the cats in less than two minutes.You might feel a slight upshift in that period,very slight.From your description it sounds like a solenoid or pressure problem,it should not be banging gears.Find a good indie shop,that dealer is heading you towards a new transmission.

I would do as described above. Have the shop check the valve body and fluids. Could be a valve sticking. Then see if that helps and you can do the TCU adaptation after R&R the valve body.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
What type and octane of fuel are you running?? Are you throwing CELs
Old 11-03-2008, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Talking

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
What type and octane
He wants a solution not a joke
Old 11-03-2008, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
What type and octane of fuel are you running?? Are you throwing CELs
Old 11-03-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by pshek
+1
Old 11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by c32used
+1
+2
Old 11-03-2008, 04:45 PM

silver 2002 c32 amg
I'm having a few gear change issue myself at the moment

I've had the typical 1500 rpm jerk for several years and never found a cure so I've just learned to live with it

lately it's gotten much worse, I'm often getting a thump in the back from all gears up and down even after the cars warmed up + the changes seem to be all over the place sometimes refusing to change up even when I use tiptronic which is pretty annoying when I'm cruising at 35-40 and still in 3rd gear

also sometimes it seems to change up or down in the middle of a bend which I thought it wasn't supposed to do

I've been holding of going to the dealer due to not having any warranty and being a little worried about what they might find

I replaced the radiator about 18 months ago and had them replace the transmission fluid so I'm thinking it's not glycol contamination and possibly related to either the tcu or torque converter/ valve sticking
I'm sure it won't be cheap whatever the problem
Old 11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no worries my friend.....if your that uptight about it check ur can and see if you have the valeo radiator. If you do, just swap it and your fine...

I am embarrassed to say... but I am not sure how to get to it to check and see.

I know that I had the "coolant circulation pump" replaced not too long ago. But thats about it.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You sure?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
New battery? Seems to fix everything!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 ML270 CDi
Originally Posted by timberman
I'm having a few gear change issue myself at the moment

I've had the typical 1500 rpm jerk for several years and never found a cure so I've just learned to live with it

lately it's gotten much worse, I'm often getting a thump in the back from all gears up and down even after the cars warmed up + the changes seem to be all over the place sometimes refusing to change up even when I use tiptronic which is pretty annoying when I'm cruising at 35-40 and still in 3rd gear

also sometimes it seems to change up or down in the middle of a bend which I thought it wasn't supposed to do

I've been holding of going to the dealer due to not having any warranty and being a little worried about what they might find

I replaced the radiator about 18 months ago and had them replace the transmission fluid so I'm thinking it's not glycol contamination and possibly related to either the tcu or torque converter/ valve sticking
I'm sure it won't be cheap whatever the problem
Pete

I had much the same. Dealer changed the oil (supposedly) but not much change. Worsened as you described. Took it back several more times.

Took it to a different dealership, who spotted transmission oil was low and topped it up. Now much better.

Either they didn't top it up or they didn't put enough in!!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 ML270 CDi
They are shining you on about the delay for warm up,the secondary air pump kicks on and fires up the cats in less than two minutes.You might feel a slight upshift in that period,very slight.
Does the secondary air pump not kick in until two minutes after a cold start?

If so, would it cause a vibration through the car if stationary in Drive with foot on the brake?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
+2
Will this ever die?
and does your mom still pack your lunch?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:14 AM

silver 2002 c32 amg
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler
Pete

I had much the same. Dealer changed the oil (supposedly) but not much change. Worsened as you described. Took it back several more times.

Took it to a different dealership, who spotted transmission oil was low and topped it up. Now much better.

Either they didn't top it up or they didn't put enough in!!
awesome,thanks Rob

I'll take it back to the dealer and ask them to top it up for me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: anyone know whats wrong with my car?