C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 front brake replacement ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E450 Coupe 4Matic; 2018 Audi Q5; 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
Originally Posted by 03MBC32
Imho, if the rotors do need to be replaced, why not drive the car until the pads wear down to trigger the sensor. Last fall I was told by the dealer that my front rotors needed replacing since they were worn below the minimum thickness. Since my pads were also getting close to the sensors, the service advisor said I could wait until the pads wore down before replacing the pads and rotors together. My original front rotors lasted 70,000 Km with 2 sets of pads.
My rotors are still OEM still 2003, but I replaced the front pads last year (around March, 2008). I still have lots of pads left (EBC - Red). Do I need to replace to a new set of pads if I intend to replace the rotors at the same time?

My rear pads replaced last month (akebono). My rear rotors are still the OEM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32
Originally Posted by Ultraman
My rotors are still OEM still 2003, but I replaced the front pads last year (around March, 2008). I still have lots of pads left (EBC - Red). Do I need to replace to a new set of pads if I intend to replace the rotors at the same time?
I've always replaced the pads when I replace the rotors. If you want to reuse pads on new rotors, I would suggest you give the pad surfaces a light sanding to break up the wear pattern with the old rotors and assist breaking in with the new rotors.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E450 Coupe 4Matic; 2018 Audi Q5; 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
Originally Posted by 03MBC32
I've always replaced the pads when I replace the rotors. If you want to reuse pads on new rotors, I would suggest you give the pad surfaces a light sanding to break up the wear pattern with the old rotors and assist breaking in with the new rotors.
Thanks for the tips
Old 12-03-2009, 06:25 PM

Black on Black stock ' 03 C32
I am going to do the rotor and pad swap soon. My rotors are beyond what any sane person would consider safe, but we're not sane are we? I think they may even be the originals, and my car has 100k miles.
Anyway, I put the OEM pads on last time, and I don't like them; they seem soft until the last bit of pressure, and then seem to clamp. Maybe they're are designed that way so as to allow the best modulation. And the dust, forgeddaboudit. My rims are dirty within a week, even with wax on them.
I see that most here like the Akebono ceramics ("...same materials, engineering, quality standards, and advanced technologies that create OE ceramic brake pads...") or the EBC redstuff ("...Kevlar fiber-based compound that is enhanced with ceramic particles..").
Previously in this thread it was asked about the Yellowstuff ("...aramid fiber-based brake compound ..") but there wasn't a reply.
Has anyone used the Yellow stuff?
I want pads that are linear grip with low dust. I'll sacrifice longevity for grip an low dust.

As far as rotors, I've seen the Pilenga rotors and Zimmerman listed online, and although the Zimms are pricier, someone stated that the Pilenga, which are OEM are painted. I know it doesn't affect performance one bit, but my rusted OEMs are ugly.
I kept searching, and found this place(part listing is for C32 AMG) :
http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...7127725adbdb5a
These guys offer painted (black or silver) , slotted, xdrilled (or just dimpled) rotors; any thoughts on slotted rotors?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by t1n0
I am going to do the rotor and pad swap soon. My rotors are beyond what any sane person would consider safe, but we're not sane are we? I think they may even be the originals, and my car has 100k miles.
Anyway, I put the OEM pads on last time, and I don't like them; they seem soft until the last bit of pressure, and then seem to clamp. Maybe they're are designed that way so as to allow the best modulation. And the dust, forgeddaboudit. My rims are dirty within a week, even with wax on them.
I see that most here like the Akebono ceramics ("...same materials, engineering, quality standards, and advanced technologies that create OE ceramic brake pads...") or the EBC redstuff ("...Kevlar fiber-based compound that is enhanced with ceramic particles..").
Previously in this thread it was asked about the Yellowstuff ("...aramid fiber-based brake compound ..") but there wasn't a reply.
Has anyone used the Yellow stuff?
I want pads that are linear grip with low dust. I'll sacrifice longevity for grip an low dust.

As far as rotors, I've seen the Pilenga rotors and Zimmerman listed online, and although the Zimms are pricier, someone stated that the Pilenga, which are OEM are painted. I know it doesn't affect performance one bit, but my rusted OEMs are ugly.
I kept searching, and found this place(part listing is for C32 AMG) :
These guys offer painted (black or silver) , slotted, xdrilled (or just dimpled) rotors; any thoughts on slotted rotors?
I'm using the yellow stuff at the moment.. It's lovely when its fully warmed up..

Since the weather is gett'n cold, it takes a lil longer to get them to warm up.
When it's cold, its not too bad but you could def tell the difference... And it also squeeks a lil when its cold..
Old 12-12-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
I'm using the yellow stuff at the moment.. It's lovely when its fully warmed up..

Since the weather is gett'n cold, it takes a lil longer to get them to warm up.
When it's cold, its not too bad but you could def tell the difference... And it also squeeks a lil when its cold..
"Lovely" meaning linear grip, and grab when you want them too? I'm not being facetious, it's just you're the only person who commented on the yellows, and my only source for comparison.

How would you compare to redstuff or ceramics? How's the dust?
Would you buy them again?
Thanks in advance for your info.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
"Lovely" meaning linear grip, and grab when you want them too? I'm not being facetious, it's just you're the only person who commented on the yellows, and my only source for comparison.

I ran the red stuff on my C32, and LOVED them. They never faded on the track, like the stockers would. They gripped wonderful cold or hot, and had very little dust.

I have heard of several people here using the yellows, which is a HIGHER heat rated pad. However if your wife or friends drive your car, and they are NOT use to it. This could get them into trouble when the pads are cold, aka they DO NOT grip as well until they get some heat into them.

Personally, I would stay with REDS for a street cat, IMHO.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC

Like MRAMG1 mentioned in his post,
Yellow grips very well and dust is very low compare to stock. Downside is when the pads are cold (not warmed up), it doesn't work too well. It's not like u press the pedal and get nothing but it's def weak when they are cold.

Would I buy it again? Yes.. Even though this may be a lil harsh on rotors and might be a little unsafe when they are cold, but its well worth it when they are fully warmed up.

I never tried red stuff on C55 but I only had good experienc when I had them on my Rx7.

Let me know if you have any more questions
Old 12-13-2009, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Like MRAMG1 mentioned in his post,
Yellow grips very well and dust is very low compare to stock. Downside is when the pads are cold (not warmed up), it doesn't work too well. It's not like u press the pedal and get nothing but it's def weak when they are cold.

Would I buy it again? Yes.. Even though this may be a lil harsh on rotors and might be a little unsafe when they are cold, but its well worth it when they are fully warmed up.

I never tried red stuff on C55 but I only had good experienc when I had them on my Rx7.

Let me know if you have any more questions
PS: If I wore the sole driver on my car, I would use the Yellows too

Darn wife
Old 12-13-2009, 02:02 PM

Ok, I get the picture, The yellows have better grip and won't fade, but are actually soft until hot.
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
I am the sole driver, and I drive aggressive (when no else is on the road, of course) but I don't think I'll ever track my car, with the exception of one day finally going to a quarter mile event just to see what it's like. (I know, I know...never say never... )

I looked around some more, and Redstuff are described as ceramic. How do they compare vs the Akebono Ceramics ( grip and dust).

I also found an article that said ceramics in general have less dust and it's less noticeable due to a lack of metallic material. However, ceramics will wear rotors faster if the rotor was intended for semi-metallic pads.

Can you guys relate to my description of the OEM's? (the relatively long grip pedal stroke with a 'clamp' at the end, or could that just be a by-product of my thin rotors?
It does allow for smooth driving if you drive mellow, but I don't like the sudden grip at the end.

As far as rotors, I found this place that has a variety of rotors for our cars:

What do you think of rotors that are both xdrilled slotted? Too much? Just gonna shred my pads, or is it really better for wet weather? (as claimed)

I'm in South Florida, and although we escape cold weather, we do get a lot of rain. (from mid-spring to mid-fall, it's almost daily)
After all is said and done, my ultimate concern is getting as close as possible to dry performance in wet weather; the last thing I want to do is rear end someone or slide into a guardrail.
I change my front tires before they are worn and only use the PS2's, or this time around, the Goodyear F1's, so I was looking at the slotted rotors to maximize wet control.

Thoughts on slots?

I'm probably going to go with the Redstuff, unless you guys think Akebono makes a better ceramic.

Thanks guys, hope your having a great weekend.
T
Old 11-21-2010, 04:03 PM

C32
Originally Posted by spr
If you need rotors I'd hunt around for a full brake set of clk63 take offs. I did and sold my old ones for 1k! ha!
Has anyone else done a similar swap?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 PM

C32
Ouch! After looking at CLK63 brake prices I don't think it is worth it. OEM rotors $500+ piece. Does the swap require caliper mounting brackets as well?
Old 11-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Although there have been people who have had good luck with EBC pads (red and yellow) there have been numerous forum members across different MB models that have had awful experiences as well. I have used them and would personally not put them on anything, not on a bike, lawnmower, and certainly not on a car, much less a high performance car. Keep in mind the w203 C350 has the exact same front brake system as the C32/C55.

Akebono's are a good all around pad for street use, SUPER low dust. Initial bit is slightly less than stock, but they're very linear and overall have plenty of stopping power.

I'm not so sure cross-drilled or slotted brake rotors really give an advantage in the rain. You gotta remember your brakes clamp down with a LOT of force, and there is plenty of space for the water to go, not to mention a lot of heat is generated, further removing any water on the rotor.

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...sy-brakes.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...otors-wtf.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...lable-c63.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...rakes-wtf.html

I could go on....

Last edited by e1000; 11-21-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 AM

C32
For those that are interested...Pilenga fronts are available for around $180 shipped!

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ake_rotor.html
Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I've had EBC Reds on my SAAB 93 Aero which I've tracked many times. I have found that the main reason people have had problems with them was because of improper break-in. If you read the intructions, it clearly states that it requires 800-1000kms of normal braking (not dragging or overheating the pads) to properly bed them in. It was painful to drive like that for almost 1000kms, but after proper break-in the pads bite really hard. The SAAB had a dual piston 320mm front rotor, so they were beefy. If you feel like the pads aren't biting properly, it's definitely because the wear in surface hasn't fully broken-in yet. I had to brake hard in an emergency situation once while I only did 400km after the install of the new pads. I literally ended up in the middle of the intersection. During break-in period, I would recommend you take it very easy. Avoid doing highway driving till the pads are properly broken in. I don't like the long break-in period and it's not the safest either. When I had HAWK HPS/HP+ pads, they just recommend you do a few hard stops from 100, then 60. Pads broken in, you're good to go. If HAWKs were available I would always purchase HAWK. However, despite the problem with the break-in period, EBC pads are pretty good. I overheated my Bridgestone RE-01R's @ Shannonville long before my pads showed any signs of fade.

I have a set for the C32 now. Just going to install them when the weather gets better.

+1 for EBC reds.

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 02-21-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
C32 Brakes

Nice to see that these threads stay here. I was getting ready to re-do my brakes again and figurred I would do my homework 1st. Here was the same thread from last time with all the answers.

I am using Zimmerman cross drilled rotors again but with the Akebono pads this time. The EBC's worked great but figured I would try the others anyway.

The Zimmerman rotors are identical to OEM's

Irish
Old 07-03-2012, 07:01 PM

E55
Ok, I get the picture, The yellows have better grip and won't fade, but are actually soft until hot.
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
I am the sole driver, and I drive aggressive (when no else is on the road, of course) but I don't think I'll ever track my car, with the exception of one day finally going to a quarter mile event just to see what it's like. (I know, I know...never say never... )

I looked around some more, and Redstuff are described as ceramic. How do they compare vs the Akebono Ceramics ( grip and dust).

I also found an article that said ceramics in general have less dust and it's less noticeable due to a lack of metallic material. However, ceramics will wear rotors faster if the rotor was intended for semi-metallic pads.

Can you guys relate to my description of the OEM's? (the relatively long grip pedal stroke with a 'clamp' at the end, or could that just be a by-product of my thin rotors?
It does allow for smooth driving if you drive mellow, but I don't like the sudden grip at the end.

As far as rotors, I found this place that has a variety of rotors for our cars:

What do you think of rotors that are both xdrilled slotted? Too much? Just gonna shred my pads, or is it really better for wet weather? (as claimed)

I'm in South Florida, and although we escape cold weather, we do get a lot of rain. (from mid-spring to mid-fall, it's almost daily)
After all is said and done, my ultimate concern is getting as close as possible to dry performance in wet weather; the last thing I want to do is rear end someone or slide into a guardrail.
I change my front tires before they are worn and only use the PS2's, or this time around, the Goodyear F1's, so I was looking at the slotted rotors to maximize wet control.

Thoughts on slots?

I'm probably going to go with the Redstuff, unless you guys think Akebono makes a better ceramic.

Thanks guys, hope your having a great weekend.
T
I've had both their dimpled/slotted and slotted. I don't know about cross-drilled but I'm happy with the dimpled and slotted as they give the same benefits as cross-drilled without worrying about having drilled holes.