C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Low coolant/windhsield indicator.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Low coolant/windhsield indicator.

Guys I am getting 2 malfunction notifications - low coolant and low windshield washer fluid. I topped them both off several days ago but continue to get the notifications. I have checked them both and to the eye they are both definitely full. What gives? Do they have a part in common. Is it reasonable to think that they both have low level sensors that went bad at the same time?
And is this a DIY?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
When my windshield washer fluid was low on my C32 it would always cause a low-coolant cel also--even though the coolant was fine. I don't know what exactly the relationship was or if that was just an MB design/electronic glitch. I would naturally check my coolant and the level was always fine. I had no problems with low coolant until my intercooler core cracked and it started leaking into the intake runners but that's another story. If both are full it sounds like something may have to be reset or the sensor might be bad...
Old 02-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by wawy
I had no problems with low coolant until my intercooler core cracked and it started leaking into the intake runners but that's another story. If both are full it sounds like something may have to be reset or the sensor might be bad...
Bad news Bold #1
Good news Bold #2

I've experienced both. This is my 3rd supercharger and intercooler. Check the sensor first then retrace all of your hoses and make sure there isn't a leak or a punctured hose. Afterwards, try to run the car hard then pull over and smell for any coolant burns (I assure you the smell is very strong). I wish you the best of luck!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Any updates on this? I am experiencing having both lights come on simultaneously as well.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question for you guys. I have had indicators. Windshield fluid was definitely low, and the coolant was a tad as well. Filled both to spec, lights are off. I am concerned that the engine coolant indicator/ actually being a bit low is a precursor to something else.

Should my only concern be about the coolant running into the intake runners? Or are there other concerns? And removing intake runners, is that an involved process or is it relatively easy? I searched and got the pictures and what to look for from it, so thanks for that.

My extended runs out real soon, and the dealer is saying everything is ok so I am big time concerned here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Oh, 04 c32. Original owner, no such issues in the past. New intercooler pump installed about 10k ago, I'm at about 39k now.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
I've had the same issue with my '02, before and after filters/plugs/wires/Ford Lightning IC pump, and IIRC, the dealer showed me a mini-TSB about this. It was one of those "common symptom" reports, not a "If you see this, fix it" TSBs. They told me to not worry about it.

Second dealer, second opinion - same thing, just to top off the fluids when either light comes on, natch.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
The two sensors are wired together (which is why they both come on); I just got new sensors installed at my local dealership for a little over $500. According to my dealership, there is a TSB that if you replace one, you might as well replace the other, as there is some commonality.

Mine kept coming on daily, which sounds like the OP's situation, not any of the other ones mentioned. If you don't replace the sensors, I'm not sure how topping off something that's already topped off fixes anything.

Trending Topics

Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Originally Posted by tommy
The two sensors are wired together (which is why they both come on); I just got new sensors installed at my local dealership for a little over $500.
For that much money I would have cut the sensors off and twisted the wires together and just monitored the levels every 6 months like we used to do in the old days.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
For that much money I would have cut the sensors off and twisted the wires together and just monitored the levels every 6 months like we used to do in the old days.
Remind me not to buy your C32 if you put it up for sale.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Originally Posted by tommy
Remind me not to buy your C32 if you put it up for sale.
Don't worry, I drive all my cars in to the ground and then throw them away.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 EVO 8 612whp(sold) 2005 c55 amg R35 GTR
keep an eye on your temp gauge.
This happened to me about a month ago and they car overheated.
took it to the dealer and it was a bad fan switch.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for all the info guys. I am gonna keep all that in mind. Hopefully it is just levels being off. *fingers crossed*
Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Awesome. I wish I could do that. Let me know how long the 32 goes. Curious.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

They really need a slushbox smilie for the AMG section.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 AM

C32 AMG
I started another thread with the diagnosis. It was the front SAM. I replaced it and the problem went away. Note: I was getting the low level light on even after I topped them off. The indicator lights would not go away. Hope it helps.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...acing-sam.html
Old 08-05-2009, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting. Thank you. My concern isn't he light staying illuminated as it is not. Its more of the low coolant causing any further damage.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by pointman
Interesting. Thank you. My concern isn't he light staying illuminated as it is not. Its more of the low coolant causing any further damage.
The cooling system is sealed - if the level continues to drop, and there are no leaks on the ground, take your car to the dealer.

We have seen coolant entering the combustion chamber from leaky charge cooler, as well as trans contamination from radiator issues.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ChicagoX
The cooling system is sealed - if the level continues to drop, and there are no leaks on the ground, take your car to the dealer.

We have seen coolant entering the combustion chamber from leaky charge cooler, as well as trans contamination from radiator issues.

Good luck.
Thanks. I paid for it to be pressure checked, checked out ok. No leaks. I guess I overreacted... for now. Dang, these are the sort of things that scare me about the 32.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by dkflipse
Guys I am getting 2 malfunction notifications - low coolant and low windshield washer fluid. I topped them both off several days ago but continue to get the notifications. I have checked them both and to the eye they are both definitely full. What gives? Do they have a part in common. Is it reasonable to think that they both have low level sensors that went bad at the same time?
And is this a DIY?

Thanks.
I think, you should get it checked by some professional. May be they are malfunctioning.