C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

c32 alignment issue...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Unhappy c32 alignment issue...

Ok guys, not too long ago, my C32 started pulling strongly to the left. Took it in for alignment, after they did the alignment, they told me that the car is still going to pull to the left a little bit because the front tires are really bald and one is more worn than the other. So, it still pulled to the left afterwards. So, I got brand new front tires. Then the car pulled to the right. I took it in to get it aligned again, thinking this time it would be fine. I got the car back, this time they told me that since my back tires are bald it is still going to pull to the right, but they told me if I got new rear tires, it would be fine. I got the rear tires, and it still pulls to the right. I am taking it in to get it aligned again for the third time with all 4 new tires. I am starting to get a little worried thinking it might be something else. Has anything like this ever happened to you guys? Your opinions will be appreciated. Thank you in advance. BTW, it is completely stock with stock suspension, rims, and brakes.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Something has to be bent to cause this. Did they check out the end links, control arms, etc

It just doesn't make sense that BALD tires caused it to pull. I know cause I run my tires into the ground before replacing them, and Have NEVER had any pulling issues. The only way that tires would cause it, are if one is new and one is bald on the same axle. Look for the obvious first before chasing ghosts my friend.

see yeah
Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Sounds like a tire shop sellin some tires....

Out of curiousity, how did they do your alignment? Do you know what machine was used by chance?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by alkrstev
Ok guys, not too long ago, my C32 started pulling strongly to the left. Took it in for alignment, after they did the alignment, they told me that the car is still going to pull to the left a little bit because the front tires are really bald and one is more worn than the other. So, it still pulled to the left afterwards. So, I got brand new front tires. Then the car pulled to the right. I took it in to get it aligned again, thinking this time it would be fine. I got the car back, this time they told me that since my back tires are bald it is still going to pull to the right, but they told me if I got new rear tires, it would be fine. I got the rear tires, and it still pulls to the right. I am taking it in to get it aligned again for the third time with all 4 new tires. I am starting to get a little worried thinking it might be something else. Has anything like this ever happened to you guys? Your opinions will be appreciated. Thank you in advance. BTW, it is completely stock with stock suspension, rims, and brakes.
Have you or the shop look at the brakes? Maybe its time to check them..
Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Poor alignment causes tire wear

With worn tires they should have never aligned and wasted your money in the first place.
Seems that with what is happening is that you are not taking it to a mercedes dealer shop or a good suspension shop that works on mb's and has the hunter alignment machine.The operator of a hunter machine would first check for worn or broken or bent suspension parts and then if everything passed muster they would have you dead on specs and the car would track properly.
Get Ye to a hunter machine and a better shop
Why are you driving around on bald tires
Old 02-24-2009, 12:49 PM

Thank you guys for your posts. I dont know which machine they use. I took it to the mercedes dealer, and they told me that I need an alignment. However, they decided to charge me $160 for it, so I refused. Now, if this last alignment does not work, I am going to have to take it back to the mb dealer as my extended warranty expires in march. I am a little bit mad as I have dumped so much money for repairs that could have been used for some mods. I will take it in today for the last alignment and will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by c32used
Have you or the shop look at the brakes? Maybe its time to check them..
C32 used, do you think that it could possibly be the brakes that are causing the pull? Could brakes cause the car to pull to the right that hard?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
C32 used, do you think that it could possibly be the brakes that are causing the pull? Could brakes cause the car to pull to the right that hard?
If the pads are hitting the rotor, then yes, it could pull very hard. Easy test, lift the tire with a jack and see if it spins freely. You will hear some noise and there should only be an ever so slight rubbing on the rotor. If it's hard to turn, definite issue. Doesn't make sense though since you're algnment seems to be sparatic and all over the place. Were it the same brake sticking, it should be consistent.

I still think the shop was just trying to sell you some tires. That, or they're incompetent and don't know how to properly do an alignment.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
I still think the shop was just trying to sell you some tires. That, or they're incompetent and don't know how to properly do an alignment.
+1

See yeah
Old 02-24-2009, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
try taking it to another alignment shop.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
If the pads are hitting the rotor, then yes, it could pull very hard. Easy test, lift the tire with a jack and see if it spins freely. You will hear some noise and there should only be an ever so slight rubbing on the rotor. If it's hard to turn, definite issue. Doesn't make sense though since you're algnment seems to be sparatic and all over the place. Were it the same brake sticking, it should be consistent.

I think they might be incompetent, but I will try it again and see what happens since they will do it for free this time. I dont think it requires that much skill to do an alignment on a car with 4 BRAND NEW tires. If that does not work, I will check the brakes and go from there. Thanks for the advice SilverBulletAMG.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol you dont think its hard and its not really especially if your using a machine, but people always find ways of messing it up..lol.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:59 AM

OK guys, I am really running out of options and I need your help. I have taken the C32 to the MB dealer, and they did an alignment. I have 4 brand new tires on the car. I got the car back, and I noticed that it still pulls to the right. I took the car in the second time and they put it on the machine again and they gave me a printout that the alignment is spot on. I drove the car again and it still pulled to the right badly. I took it in a third time, and they told me that a technician had driven the car and the car drives straight. I took one of the technicians for a ride and showed him that the car pulls to the right and you actually have to hold the wheel to the left for the car to go straight. He told me that there is nothing they can do and they told me that the car might pull like that because my cars were not what MB recommended (not pirelli or michelin). I dont think that the tires should make that much of a difference where I have to push the wheel to the left for the car to go straight. Once I accelerate fast from a stop, I have to immediately hold the wheel to the left so the car can go straight. I am really mad about this and I dont know what else to do. Tomorrow I will try swapping the front tires to see if it makes a difference. I checked the tire pressure and its correct. Please give me any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if the car goes straight when you hold it to the left...maybe he didn't put the steering wheel all the way centered when he adjusted your tie rods.

You should post the alignment print out he gave you..so we can get a better idea.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:59 AM

Ok, here is the list they gave me:

I have attached it after I scanned it I dont know how to post it, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails c32 alignment issue...-alignment-report-001.jpg  

Last edited by alkrstev; 03-30-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

any way you can get a higher res scan? and just upload to imageshack or photo bucket? i can barely read the numbers

i'll see if i can find the stock oem alignment specs.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a search in the w203 forum came up with a guy with a similar problem as you.

Originally Posted by jrct9454
Patronus:

Ours was realigned to correct a drifting problem to the right. The correction was to install the caster kits and crank in a small difference between the right side [which was pulling, so it got more caster] and the left. Here is what we wound up with after the adjustments at the dealer:

Caster: L: 9.51 deg R: 9.76 deg [to correct the right drift]
Camber:L: -0.12 deg R: +.029 deg [pretty much unchanged]
Toe: L: 0deg17min R: 0deg16min

The spec on toe for the front is 0deg11min to 0deg21min
The spec on toe for the rear is 0deg17min to 0deg24min

Translation: it sounds like a bit more caster on the right side will correct your drift; everything else I'd probably leave alone.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ent-specs.html
Old 03-30-2009, 03:17 AM

Thanks for the reply TemjinX, but this is the best I can do.
Attached Thumbnails c32 alignment issue...-aline-2-001-.jpg  
Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
if the car goes straight when you hold it to the left...maybe he didn't put the steering wheel all the way centered when he adjusted your tie rods.
Bingo! That would be my guess.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
My ex had an alignment issue she was driving in the snow and claims to have never struck anything but when car was finally aligned it was noticed that the subframe and spindle were bent but not enough to fully re-align again but couldn't be aligned perfectly again...maybe you have similar damage and it just can't be aligned perfectly and maybe you are being told that the alignment they did was perfect...
Old 03-30-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by c32used
My ex had an alignment issue she was driving in the snow and claims to have never struck anything but when car was finally aligned it was noticed that the subframe and spindle were bent but not enough to fully re-align again but couldn't be aligned perfectly again...maybe you have similar damage and it just can't be aligned perfectly and maybe you are being told that the alignment they did was perfect...
It does feel as if the frame underneath was bent and that the entire car just wants to go to the right although the steering wheel is straight. I checked it at a local Midwest Tire shop, and they told me that everything was aligned properly and even rebalanced and switched my front wheels. Needless to say, it still pulls slightly to the right, but I am hoping that with time the tires will wear out enough so it will be straight again. I have tried everything and nothing helps, so I guess I will just live with it. Thanks for all your replies guys.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
It does feel as if the frame underneath was bent and that the entire car just wants to go to the right although the steering wheel is straight. I checked it at a local Midwest Tire shop, and they told me that everything was aligned properly and even rebalanced and switched my front wheels. Needless to say, it still pulls slightly to the right, but I am hoping that with time the tires will wear out enough so it will be straight again. I have tried everything and nothing helps, so I guess I will just live with it. Thanks for all your replies guys.
I didn't go thru full thread so I wanted to ask how are your brakes? If its about time to replace them maybe they may be causing your pulling to one side
Old 03-31-2009, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
So you know most roads in the US tilt to the right for drainage. Have you tried to drive the car down the same lane in the opposite direction, maybe it will pull top the left?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
So you know most roads in the US tilt to the right for drainage. Have you tried to drive the car down the same lane in the opposite direction, maybe it will pull top the left?
Yes, I have tried everything. Although, when I drive on the opposite side, it pulls to the left, but not as hard as if I drove on the correct side where it pulls to the right. It kind of just slowly goes to the left, but when I am driving on the correct side, it pulls to the right more quickly. It is just really annoying to hold the wheel to the left all the time because if you let go, the car will just pull itself to the right.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Did any of your previous cars have low profile tires? I know the stock 225/45/17 tire is not low profile by some standards but these tires and others of shorter sidewalls will tend to pull the car towards the slope of the road. I think you have proven that it is pulling to the low side of the road whether it be right or left.

Sorry to say this may be normal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: c32 alignment issue...