lets hear your modding plans.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
lets hear your modding plans.

I was thinking about this today and wondering... Has the C32/55 section lost is modding fever? Under a year ago this section was a Mecca for modding junkies like myself. I 100% blame this addiction on this forum section. Has the party ended and I didnt get the memo?

With that said please share your modding plans and tell me this section of the forum is still alive.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
I wanted a 6spd trans with a Import motor. Something like a 2jz, rb26det TT, etc... but ppl told me the plan is rubbish! The car is a benz not a import lol.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Hooley. my modding plans are in my sig.....and as soon as I know my plans, you are the next person to know lol as i usually call you to ask you what you think lol.

and definitely lost the "modding fever.".....more like..."bank account 'lost' the modding funds." lol
Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32
Since my car is still under warranty, I'm holding back some of my mods. Plans are in my sig.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 PM

C32
im currently unemployed so my plans are on hold. if anyone knows of any work lmk.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
I certainly haven't lost mine...

Renntech Carbon Fiber Airbox, K&Ns and CLK350 Kevlar airtubes - done (+5RWHP/6TQ)

Coming:

Headers
secondary cat delete
ECU tune
Crank pulley
??
Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
I'm about out of ideas and bolt-ons. The wife is trying to turn me into a golfer and now I'm going broke modding the contents of my golf bag.
You still working on a cheap, easy, effective 32 intake? Someone needs to do a proper TB for the 32 as well.

Trending Topics

Old 08-21-2009, 01:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I've got to come out with some stuff. I've been slacking for sure. It good to see you guys still have the passion to mod.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
I've noticed theres been a slow down in activity on mbworld in general compared to say a year or two ago. I think some of this has to do with the economic slowdown and certainly some people are probably preoccupied coping with that....
Old 08-21-2009, 02:40 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
if you count replacing the windshield soon as a mod count me in. ROLF.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by wawy
I've noticed theres been a slow down in activity on mbworld in general compared to say a year or two ago. I think some of this has to do with the economic slowdown and certainly some people are probably preoccupied coping with that....
Yeah, I believe that too. Sooo many people are more concerned about losing their houses or jobs to be thinking about modding their cars now.

And for me, I still have the mod bug seriously, but like Josh, with limited funds. So I have to make wise decisions and keep the mods under $30 per HP at the very least.

I'd love to have a better intake. I think the SL55 intake definitely allows for more power, but is much less responsive then the Code3 intake was.

Love to have lighter wheels, but again, anything lightweight seems to cost an arm and a leg; or they only have 4 hole bolt patterns.

But I love the innovativeness and things you have already done too. Love to do the S/C switch.

Good job Hooley, we're still with you.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
for the 32 engine one only has to go to the crossfire forum and see all the mods available. these guys are building 11 sec cars daily! i believe its a cash flow issue. my mods come as the funds do!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:20 AM

2006 C55
Some of my mod money went to the new Harley a few months back.

That being said I'd like to pull more out of my car and want headers, tune, etc. My issue is that I have nobody in the area that can do the work; let alone anyone that I 100% trust and know the car. There is one speed shop that I've been dealing with for years, but they told me they don't really know Benz let alone AMG.

It's not for lack of funds (I'm one of the lucky ones and actually got 2 raises in this economy.......KNOCK ON WOOD), but want a shop that I can drive to, discuss the options and then will put up with my "standing there watching" while the work gets done. Too many horror stories where my friends have dropped off their car for a suspension job only to pick it up with an additional 30 - 50 miles on the car and when asked you get the "we had to test drive it" story.

Used to work in a dealership while in college and saw waaaaaaay too many times when a car came in (twin turbo stealth's, vipers) the guys would start salivating. They'd even take it for the test drive at lunch and take their shop buddies out in the car. Have even seen customer cars dented or damaged in some other way where it wasn't disclosed.

The best was when a customer came to pick up their car and jumped all over the Service Manager b/c he (customer) found McDonalds wrappers in his back seat. Upon checking the cameras it was found that 5 techs piled into this guys car and went to lunch..................just have too many stories like that so unfortunately I'm scarred for life.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:25 AM

I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
My plans? Find a sucker to over pay me for it and another sucker to sell me a 911TT (pref a 997) for cheap.
Master the powerball lottery-retire to Budapest-and run guns for a small government.
Then I can buy Mikes car and not have to mod it
Old 08-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Just to share a bit of what I got on the table, I got a Set of E55 cams I'm thinking about dropping in my car just to see what happens. Then its off to a great local machine shop for head porting. When this will happen.. IDK? I might do a brake upgrade today If I got the time.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
Enjoy the C55 through this year... then provided everything goes good with business... going to move on to a C63 with about every mod I can safely put on it.

Questing for the 120-122trap range on it (no nitrous). I figure I would let the C55 S7 go next march.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by madC55
Some of my mod money went to the new Harley a few months back.

That being said I'd like to pull more out of my car and want headers, tune, etc. My issue is that I have nobody in the area that can do the work; let alone anyone that I 100% trust and know the car. There is one speed shop that I've been dealing with for years, but they told me they don't really know Benz let alone AMG.

It's not for lack of funds (I'm one of the lucky ones and actually got 2 raises in this economy.......KNOCK ON WOOD), but want a shop that I can drive to, discuss the options and then will put up with my "standing there watching" while the work gets done. Too many horror stories where my friends have dropped off their car for a suspension job only to pick it up with an additional 30 - 50 miles on the car and when asked you get the "we had to test drive it" story.

Used to work in a dealership while in college and saw waaaaaaay too many times when a car came in (twin turbo stealth's, vipers) the guys would start salivating. They'd even take it for the test drive at lunch and take their shop buddies out in the car. Have even seen customer cars dented or damaged in some other way where it wasn't disclosed.

The best was when a customer came to pick up their car and jumped all over the Service Manager b/c he (customer) found McDonalds wrappers in his back seat. Upon checking the cameras it was found that 5 techs piled into this guys car and went to lunch..................just have too many stories like that so unfortunately I'm scarred for life.
Oh man, that's why I am soooo happy with my mechanic. He's such an awsome guy. He doesn't even like to drive. He actually loves to race Dirt motorcycles. BUT, he doesn't like to fix them. He actually LIKES to diagnose and fix cars. So when I mod my car, I'm the one who has to go take him for a joyride to test it out. I mean of course he take regular test drives after working on it, but to really push it. He's a one man shop and I trust him completely.

Anyone in the Bay Area....San Pablo European--See Leo:
http://www.sanpabloeuropean.com/
Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 PM

03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Originally Posted by wawy
Econ slowdown is just a minor reason. Even I have more things to worry about now; my wallet is thinner than before, but if I want a mod, I still save one dollar or two everyday to get the mod lol. I look at the problem in different way. Some major sponsors here are LET, Eurocharged, Code3, AMS
1st , Jerry sold his master piece.
2nd, LET stopped selling hardware and only offer tune
3rd, Code 3 went bad
4th, Not much help from AMS and other venders. Some other vendors are super expensive and full of ****
And now the last source, Eurocharged, Jake, is selling his master piece
NO MORE DEVELOPMENT FOR C32 “PERIOD”
Old 08-21-2009, 12:21 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by CLKCLK
1st , Jerry sold his master piece.
2nd, LET stopped selling hardware and only offer tune

And now the last source, Eurocharged, Jake, is selling his master piece
NO MORE DEVELOPMENT FOR C32 “PERIOD”
LOLOLOLOL

1st Jerry sold his masterpiece to Andy (co-owner of eurocharged). The car is still here and played with daily.

LET stopped because Euro picked it up

You got me on the 3rd one....if she sells.

Personally Hooley, for me I am at what I would assume you are as far as the "wall"

There is very little if any I can do to the car without paying more then the car is worth with small gain. Time to move on to a new platform....

The C32 market is pretty much dead. Most EC product sales are in the E and cls world.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Cool thread. Here is my latest status:

This year so far, I've done: shorty headers, Quaife LSD, dual exhaust conversion and a retune. Also fixed a bunch of things that were slowing me down and a few aesthetics improvements here and there... I've hitted the wall.

I'll take this opportunity to share my experience on the famous blue top trans valves. My veredict: this mod is not for civilized daily driver use.

After $1K and 1 week invested in the mod, I can conclude that is a No Go for the regular driver use to the Benz ride. The car jerks back and forth in every gear. It drove me crazy the second I drove it out of Sunil's shop. I figured I will drive it for a bit, reset the adaptations and review the car's behavior again. Same outcome, it's hard to explain but it felt like the car was shifting very hard and that something was about to break (almost like limp mode). I could break the tires loose in 2nd and 3rd if I wanted but it was really not a smooth ride.

My plans are bringing the car down to 12.5 or better this Fall and part it out a few months after that. It's a shame to do it but it's the only way to get back some of the money in it.

Tomorrow I will be cleaning up my engine bay with a toothbrush, going back to the full 55 intake, this time heat wrapped and will replace my new modified thermostat.

That's about it from me...
Old 08-21-2009, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
Cool thread. Here is my latest status:

This year so far, I've done: shorty headers, Quaife LSD, dual exhaust conversion and a retune. Also fixed a bunch of things that were slowing me down and a few aesthetics improvements here and there... I've hitted the wall.

I'll take this opportunity to share my experience on the famous blue top trans valves. My veredict: this mod is not for civilized daily driver use.

After $1K and 1 week invested in the mod, I can conclude that is a No Go for the regular driver use to the Benz ride. The car jerks back and forth in every gear. It drove me crazy the second I drove it out of Sunil's shop. I figured I will drive it for a bit, reset the adaptations and review the car's behavior again. Same outcome, it's hard to explain but it felt like the car was shifting very hard and that something was about to break (almost like limp mode). I could break the tires loose in 2nd and 3rd if I wanted but it was really not a smooth ride.

My plans are bringing the car down to 12.5 or better this Fall and part it out a few months after that. It's a shame to do it but it's the only way to get back some of the money in it.

Tomorrow I will be cleaning up my engine bay with a toothbrush, going back to the full 55 intake, this time heat wrapped and will replace my new modified thermostat.

That's about it from me...
ooo sorry to hear about the blue tops......i was really curious to see how that went. i guess our stock ones arent blue tops

do you have a PTE thermostat? make sure you do a writeup so i can follow directions when i do mine lol.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:03 PM

I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Originally Posted by alumar
Enjoy the C55 through this year... then provided everything goes good with business... going to move on to a C63 with about every mod I can safely put on it.

Questing for the 120-122trap range on it (no nitrous). I figure I would let the C55 S7 go next march.
Dibs!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Talking

Well due to many changes in life I would say she is done for now...got a beater to putz in...so still thinking of next route to go...so many choices but funds not there for all
Old 08-21-2009, 05:27 PM
aho

03 C32 AMG
The rims are at vegas powdercoating as well speak, my HID kit is awaiting install, ill vinyl the roof, add some carbon aesthetics and a tune from LET. Then time to move to a different platform.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Being a noob owner, I guess I don't count, but kinda do.

I owned a different car for the past 8 years, and I did way too many mods to that car. I did a lot, and I feel like that's what has partially satisfied my modding craze. Sure, every so often you get "the bug".

The C55 that I added to my stable is the nicest car I've ever bought. Sure, I definitely oogle at the lowered cars, the Kleeman s/c pushing 500 rediculous hp, the upgraded 6/4 pot AMG brakes (I'm a brakes guy), the deeper exhaust notes (deletes), the subpar HK audio. But at the same time, I think wow, this is really a nice car. Every so often I push it, and realize how slow and crappy my other "modified" car now is. And that "just enough awesomeness" is what keeps me away from trying to mod. Because the simple fact is, before I bought this car, I would've never dreamed I would've owned this amazing machine.

Only things I'm really doing now is fixing the car up - replacing the faded hood emblem, oil changes, cargo net, new tints (current ones are scratching), replacing the shift boot (has a hole in it), etc etc. I guess all I can say is that this is truely an amazing machine, and I'm trying to keep it as nice, "stock" as possible. The maintenance/fixes is what keeps my wrench hands happy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: lets hear your modding plans.