Boost & A/F Ratio Gauges

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Boost & A/F Ratio Gauges

Hey everyone, I'm almost finished with my custom pillar gauge setup. Have a Sunpro two pod pillar molding along with the Sunpro 0-30 PSI boost gauge, and Sunpro digital air fuel ratio gauge. Have all the wiring done, and the pod/gauges are secured in place decent for now. No visible wiring from the job. Tapping into fuse "44" in the engine bay for a positive. ESP ground for negative. Gauges light up during the first turn of key.

I attempted to connect the boost line into the small port on the top of the supercharger. Apparently you can't read boost through this port as the gauge stayed at zero. So, I was reading, and I guess the best location to connect is the post charge y-pipe. Is this the only area that can be tapped for an accurate reading?

From what I remember hearing our oxygen sensors are three wire? Sensor, and heater "+ & -". What color is the sensor wire, and where is the best location to splice? The instructions for the A/F Ratio gauge state the best way is to connect where the lead is closest to the ECU as the wiring closer to the sensor is shielded.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
correct. you cannot read boost through the port on top of the supercharger. you have to either tap the intercooler y-pipe or intake manifold.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS, SLK, ETC
I hope you don't get one of those flash'n light A/F gauge.. Don't waste your money on those.. Get a real wideband + a/f gauge to get correct reading
Old 10-23-2009, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tomorrow planning to run the boost gauge tube into the y-pipe. I'm hoping that I can just place the line in one of the rubber couplers instead of drilling into the pipe. That should be a lot easier. Might not even need to remove it that way...

The air fuel ratio gauge has eight indicator lights that show if the fuel ratio is too rich, rich, ideal, lean, or too lean. I understand it may not be as accurate as wideband, but it should show if I'm running too lean, correct? Again, does someone know what color the oxygen sensors signal wire is, and the best place to tap into it? Also, should I tap into o2 sensor before or after catalytic converter? I'm guessing before sensor...

Thanks for the replies. I'll get pictures up soon, but that pillar pod definitely needs some work. It's a universal, so doesn't fit perfect, but I do plan to cut it for perfect fit, and paint it to match the pillar. Right now it's black...
Old 10-23-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Originally Posted by gt4awd
Tomorrow planning to run the boost gauge tube into the y-pipe. I'm hoping that I can just place the line in one of the rubber couplers instead of drilling into the pipe. That should be a lot easier. Might not even need to remove it that way...

The air fuel ratio gauge has eight indicator lights that show if the fuel ratio is too rich, rich, ideal, lean, or too lean. I understand it may not be as accurate as wideband, but it should show if I'm running too lean, correct? Again, does someone know what color the oxygen sensors signal wire is, and the best place to tap into it? Also, should I tap into o2 sensor before or after catalytic converter? I'm guessing before sensor...

Thanks for the replies. I'll get pictures up soon, but that pillar pod definitely needs some work. It's a universal, so doesn't fit perfect, but I do plan to cut it for perfect fit, and paint it to match the pillar. Right now it's black...
No, a narrowband af gauge is absolutely worthless. Get a wideband or egt, if you want a worthwhile reading.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
No, a narrowband af gauge is absolutely worthless. Get a wideband or egt, if you want a worthwhile reading.
fact.

gt4awd.....you ARE going to be installing wideband O2 sensors to monitor your A/Fs, correct?

it is useless/worthless to monitor narrowband O2. the c32 comes with narrowband, not wideband.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jturkel
fact.

gt4awd.....you ARE going to be installing wideband O2 sensors to monitor your A/Fs, correct?

it is useless/worthless to monitor narrowband O2. the c32 comes with narrowband, not wideband.

but it has coooooooool flashing lights that bounce back and forth!!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by dlwiser
but it has coooooooool flashing lights that bounce back and forth!!!!
lol. well cops have cool flashing lights that bounce back and forth AND in different colors....but it isnt cool when you the lights are used for you lol
Old 10-23-2009, 03:38 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by jturkel
fact.

+1

fyi, on top of the sc that vacuum not boost.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Right now I'm just going to try and get the A/F & boost gauge working. So these types of air fuel ratio gauges don't accurately display what the narrow band o2 sensor is detecting? I mean the o2 sensor does a good job at monitoring for the engine, so why won't the gauge readings be good? If I were to go the route of wide band would require placing a new wide band o2 sensor into the exhaust?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by gt4awd
Right now I'm just going to try and get the A/F & boost gauge working. So these types of air fuel ratio gauges don't accurately display what the narrow band o2 sensor is detecting? I mean the o2 sensor does a good job at monitoring for the engine, so why won't the gauge readings be good? If I were to go the route of wide band would require placing a new wide band o2 sensor into the exhaust?
I think the main issue is that you'd have to weld in an 02 sensor just ahead of your primary cats which is extremely difficult and time consuming.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:33 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
good luck with the project.

me and couple others will stick with our iphone/itouch and REV

OR DashDyno like jturkel and few others.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The two pod molding ended up fitting perfect, and didn't require any cutting. I placed four bolts to secure it in place onto the pillar. Originally I had planned to avoid drilling the pillar, but that was really the only way to hold it in place the way I wanted nice, and snug fit on both sides. There's still a noticeable gap on the bottom and top of the pod. Plan to eventually make covers which should actually be very easy. I would say overall the most time consuming part was running the wires, and tube from the interior driver side fuse box location into the engine bay ECU/fuse box. Unlikely I would have been able to do it without my girlfriend, and her small hands. She's learning a lot, and helping tons with the car work...

Turned out my assumption was correct, and the couplers on that y-pipe have space in-between. Was able to just punch a small hole in the center, and push the tube in. Didn't even need to be sealed. Saved a lot of time compared to pulling the y-pipe, and drilling it. Boost gauge was reading around 18-19PSI WOT in 3rd gear 6000+ RPM. Sound about right for the 185MM? Now I just need to connect the A/F ratio. Even though it might not work out I want to at least try it, and see how it functions. Post some photographs tomorrow...

Eventually down the road I do plan on going with a computerized gauge setup, and might just leave the pillar to run boost, and IAT. Total cost of this setup is around $120 dollars. Bought both gauges, and the pillar mount at Autozone...

Last edited by gt4awd; 10-24-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here some photographs. I still didn't connect the a/f yet. Thinking about just returning it... What gauge would you add in place of the a/f?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
I'm pretty happy with my Rev2 Application, no drilling, no pods sticking out, just a windshield mount to hold my iPhone.
No A/F Ratio's but most everything else, plus engine codes and ability to clear them if need be.

http://devtoaster.com/products/rev/index.html

Rev gives you access to lots of vehicle metrics, communicating via an OBD-II device to extract highly accurate, real-time data directly from your vehicle's ECU. Those metrics include:

Vehicle Speed
RPM
Fuel Consumption*
Engine Coolant Temp
Fuel Pressure
Calculated Engine Load
Throttle Position
Intake Manifold Pressure
Air Intake Temp
Timing Advance
Mass Air Flow
Fuel Level
Barometric Pressure
EVAP System Vapor Pressure
Fuel Trim
Boost**
Old 10-26-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 '02
Originally Posted by FrankW

I thought that screen shot looked familiar.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL55, 2010 C63
Originally Posted by FrankW

中華電信 FTW
Old 10-27-2009, 12:14 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by andy_meng1024
中華電信 FTW
39 39 889